Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: When was Keith most technically proficient on guitar?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 13, 2019 15:59

DandelionPowderman

Did you hear him do this in 1968? smoking smiley

[youtu.be]

No, thankfully. grinning smiley

Date: August 13, 2019 16:27

TheflyingDutchman
How do we define the term "technically" considering the different opinions about
Keith"s "most technically proficient" years? In the traditional sense, just like
Bach is difficult to play on a classical guitar, or Ingwie Malmsteen's almost senseless speed?

I thought the baroque guys' music were easier to play on guitar than the classical noodlers? winking smiley

Date: August 13, 2019 16:37

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Did you hear him do this in 1968? smoking smiley

[youtu.be]

No, thankfully. grinning smiley

Rock And A Hard Place would have been a bit off in 1968, I agree grinning smiley

However, I'm surprised that the guitarists on here value the SFTD-solo (which I love dearly) as a technical piece. We all know that he could play fast, pentatonic runs (just listen to Let Me Go from Leeds 1982 etc).

Super-fast spanish licks, like he did on WOAF (81/82) and RAAHP (89/90) doesn't seem to surprise people? IMO, those licks are very atypical of Keith's style, and show a different side of him as a musician. He also masters those licks in a more "correct" way than how he usually approaches his guitar playing.

Well, enough of the "nerd talk". On with the show smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-13 16:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 13, 2019 16:50

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
How do we define the term "technically" considering the different opinions about
Keith"s "most technically proficient" years? In the traditional sense, just like
Bach is difficult to play on a classical guitar, or Ingwie Malmsteen's almost senseless speed?

I thought the baroque guys' music were easier to play on guitar than the classical noodlers? winking smiley

Both difficult, but I prefer the classical interpretations, although the one below is priceless humour.

Ingwie Malmsteen's interpretation on a theme of ABBA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-13 16:53 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: August 13, 2019 17:13

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman

Both difficult, but I prefer the classical interpretations, although the one below is priceless humour.

Luckily, the world went forward, from fax machines to emails smiling smiley

Funny idea (and it works somehow when he plays the theme). Not sure if Yngwie has a lot of humour, though winking smiley

Date: August 13, 2019 17:24

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman

Luckily, the world went forward, from fax machines to emails smiling smiley

Funny idea (and it works somehow when he plays the theme). Not sure if Yngwie has a lot of humour, though winking smiley

At least all the Marshall Stacks are made out of cardboard. cool smiley

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: August 13, 2019 17:41

1969 - 'Let It Bleed' sessions. Keith did almost all of the guitars for that album & he was great.

Posted by: Gigbag ()
Date: August 13, 2019 19:29

Last time I saw him, in Jacksonville, he was amazing.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 13, 2019 19:40

The last couple of 1981 shows, and the 1990 tour. The latter actually is quite a revelation as it certainly isn’t my favorite tour. But on things like Harlem Shuffle and Rock and a Hard Place he played these very fast, technically challenging runs that were based on soul and funk licks, or even Spanish stuff. I also always liked his approach on that electric acoustic guitar, like on Play with Fire. I do not think he ever played better than on that tour.

Mathijs

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 13, 2019 20:29

Mathijs
The last couple of 1981 shows, and the 1990 tour. The latter actually is quite a revelation as it certainly isn’t my favorite tour. But on things like Harlem Shuffle and Rock and a Hard Place he played these very fast, technically challenging runs that were based on soul and funk licks, or even Spanish stuff. I also always liked his approach on that electric acoustic guitar, like on Play with Fire. I do not think he ever played better than on that tour.

Mathijs
The Spanish-tinged intro that Keith plays on the acoustic prior to Paint It, Black on Live At The Max is gorgeous and remarkably deft.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 13, 2019 20:50

I much prefer Keith riffs over any shredding, notes orgy.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 13, 2019 22:16

Technically? 1993. Hate to say it. Of course he was at top of his game in 1969-1974.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 13, 2019 22:30

TimDog
Question for the guitar players: When do you think Keith was at his peak in terms of chops? Not necessarily your favorite era tone-wise, etc. But when do you think he was at his most technically proficient?

You mean when did he play the least number of bum notes?

Date: August 13, 2019 23:53

Mathijs

Mathijs

At least a song like The Harlem Shuffle - Live At The Tokyo Dome, Tokyo 1990 was
played with discipline by the entire band, and because of the session players. Seems like Wood and Richards were sober, more or less. Jagger singing completely in tune. They don't sound like a garageband on this one

Date: August 14, 2019 00:24

He was really very good in '64 when he was playing those Berry solos. Some of those are very tricky.
In '81 tour he was on fire. Until then that was the best I'd ever seen or heard him.
But I have to say with the Winos. Both tours. tops.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 14, 2019 01:07

64-68 and 75-99

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home