Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Denver show 10-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 11, 2019 18:14

erikjjf
jp.M
... no guest on stage this tour...?

Gary Clark Jr in Foxborough.

Highlight of the show....& the only "B&L" tune so far this tour, I think.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 11, 2019 18:34

stickyfingers101
erikjjf
jp.M

Chicago 2- "Ride 'Em On Down".. even better without a guest imo cool smiley

The Rolling Stones - Denver CO 10-August-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 11, 2019 18:47

Date: August 11, 2019 18:48

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Interesting to see, only 3 out of 19 songs post 1971.

I counted 6. At least if we go by when they were released.

Start me up, Before they make me run and Miss you? Correct me if I''m wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-11 18:48 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: August 11, 2019 18:48

Date: August 11, 2019 18:49

Date: August 11, 2019 18:50

Date: August 11, 2019 18:51

Date: August 11, 2019 18:51

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 11, 2019 19:10

MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101
erikjjf
jp.M

I really don't understand what the Stones see in Gary Clark Jr. When he opened for them in Hyde Park, he acted like a self-absorbed asshat while note-for-note copying every Jimmy Page solo in the book. Later he guested on Bitch and ruined it by singing as if someone stomped on his foot once per line. Who is Gary Clark Sr anyway? Must be some door opener sort of deal like Hanna Montanas dad

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: August 11, 2019 19:19

Nikkei
MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101
erikjjf
jp.M

I really don't understand what the Stones see in Gary Clark Jr. When he opened for them in Hyde Park, he acted like a self-absorbed asshat while note-for-note copying every Jimmy Page solo in the book. Later he guested on Bitch and ruined it by singing as if someone stomped on his foot once per line. Who is Gary Clark Sr anyway? Must be some door opener sort of deal like Hanna Montanas dad

I agree that GCJ is not that impressive. His licks are quite repetitive - ok in small doses but boring after a couple tunes. Looks like the marketers were looking for "The new Jimi or SRV" - well GCJ sure ain't it.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 11, 2019 19:22

What a awesome show, the band looked and sounded great. The set list was okay.Hope they change it around for Seattle. Got my merch outside, glad I did,I noticed two bootleg shirts making the rounds after show. I got one on the mall downtown in afternoon.A awesome design and nice colours, see you in Seattle this week,my 18th show.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 11, 2019 19:47

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
Interesting to see, only 3 out of 19 songs post 1971.

I counted 6. At least if we go by when they were released.

Start me up, Before they make me run and Miss you? Correct me if I''m wrong.

Tumbling Dice and Sweet Virginia (released on Exile '72), and I'm assuming their cover of Like a Rolling Stone (released on Stripped '95).

What's even more interesting in an oddball way, is Start Me Up is the "newest" original song in the setlist released 38 years ago.
The only real benefit of Keith playing Slipping Away in his set these days is it adds a bit of "modernity" to the show, but alas he didn't even play that in Denver. He should play Happy anyways...
This was a show of Golden Oldies and 100% nostalgia no matter how you look at it, and not saying that's a bad thing, but it would be nice to hear something from the last couple of decades...even a blues cover from B&L.

Hopefully Like a Rolling Stone will be ditched from here on out for the rest of the shows as there's too many great original Stones songs being neglected - Live With Me being just one example.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 11, 2019 21:02

UGot2Rollme
Nikkei
MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101
erikjjf
jp.M

I agree that GCJ is not that impressive. His licks are quite repetitive - ok in small doses but boring after a couple tunes. Looks like the marketers were looking for "The new Jimi or SRV" - well GCJ sure ain't it.

"Who is Gary Clark Sr?" hahaha.

good one.

he's ayeet...I liked his live set & guest w/ the Stones. I don't really like his studio work so much.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 11, 2019 21:15

babyblue, I'd love to see a pic of the shirt you bought!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: August 11, 2019 21:23

Setlist from hell for me Same show as Houston except for SFM and the ridiculous LARS.

Oh well. Hopefully Miami is different

The Rolling Stones Denver CO 10-August-2019
Date: August 11, 2019 21:35

Rolling Stones, despite some misfires, conjure moments of awe in return to Denver

Mick Jagger and Co. play to near-capacity at Broncos Stadium

By John Wenzel Aug 11, 2019

Joe Amon/The Denver Post

Time can be cruel to musicians, highlighting fumbled guitar chords and less-than-spry stage hops while obscuring the social context of once-provocative lyrics, or the depth and breadth of their artistry.

And time stalked The Rolling Stones at a near-capacity Broncos Stadium at Mile High on Saturday night, particularly as rail-thin singer Mick Jagger thanked the crowd for its patience, following a heart-valve replacement that postponed the band’s original May 26 concert there.

But the world’s reigning classic-rock act can still outlast many of its audience members. Seventy-six-year-old Jagger twirled and delivered from the opening “Street Fighting Man” to the aptly named “Satisfaction” about two hours later. Some attendees began trickling out a few songs before that, eager to beat the traffic.

After a brief but energetic set from Denver’s own Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats (which Jagger mistakenly thanked as “Nathaniel Ratecliff”), the Stones took the relatively unadorned stage — four chunky light boxes looming over a plastic awning — at 8:53 p.m. Despite his de facto acknowledgment of the altitude, Jagger’s voice was strong and clear, even hitting the slinky and thrilling falsetto from the “Some Girls” scorcher “Miss You” (likely after a pull on an oxygen tank, but who can blame him?).

The glittering costume changes and showmanship helped sell the illusion of vigor to the massive crowd, some of whom paid hundreds of dollars to see the band as pinpricks on a far-away stage. But guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood, and drummer Charlie Watts — flanked for much of the show by backup singers, keyboardists and horns — often found surprising grooves in songs they’ve played hundreds, perhaps thousands, of times.

Wood’s tasty bent-notes and saxophonist Karl Denson’s raw-sugar pipes lent “Tumbling Dice” and “Miss You” a studio immediacy. Jagger dove head-first into the fan-picked “Like a Rolling Stone,” with mounds of relish plopped on Bob Dylan’s vocal inflection. Decades melted away as Jagger aimed his torso into the wind, the gusts tugging at his sequined black shirt to reveal an improbably toned tummy as he wailed on his harmonica.

When the core members strode onto a promenade that reached the stadium’s 50-yard line for acoustic versions of “Sweet Virginia” and “Dead Flowers,” they looked loose and collegial, smiling and leaning into each other like schoolboys. It may be choreographed and mass-produced, but it worked.

So, too, did Jagger’s frequent but artfully clipped asides to the crowd. He joked about visiting Casa Bonita, Lakewood’s too-weird-to-be-real Mexican eatery, and said the band got sick from eating sopapillas (later, as he was introducing his bandmates, he continued muttering “sopapillas…” into the mic). “The last time we played in another stadium,” he said after regarding the venue, “which is now a parking lot.”

As Jagger also said, the Stones first played Denver in 1965. That was before he was donning black hats and red-sequined coats (with tails) to sing “Sympathy for the Devil,” as he did Saturday night, and before the band had time to laugh off the old-man jokes people began making about them in the 1990s. Some of those jokes were a little close to home, as Richards occasionally mangled riffs or song openings. Watts’ busy percussion on “Paint It Black” fought with Jagger’s echo-drenched vocals, and lost.

No amount of good-natured vamping from the always-winning Wood could save “Honky Tonk Women” or the sluggish “Gimme Shelter,” which only picked up when powerhouse backup vocalist Sasha Allen hit her gorgeous high notes.

And judging by social media, the acoustics in certain parts of the stadium were dealbreakers. “Where I’m sitting — way up off of stage right, the sound is utterly awful,” tweeted former Denver Post opinion editor Jeremy Meyer. “The sound was muddy and garbage,” tweeted attendee Meighan Byron. “Granted I was in the nosebleeds.”

These are the pitfalls of trying to re-create half-century-old rock music in a football stadium. But there was a communal awe during the extended and gnarly “Midnight Rambler,” or the tent-revival coda of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.” Jagger’s rubbery paws snake-charmed the crowd, healing them and himself in equal measures. Live music is messy. It’s the kind of mess we need right now.

[theknow.denverpost.com]

Date: August 11, 2019 21:38

Joe Amon/The Denver Post

Date: August 11, 2019 21:41

Joe Amon/The Denver Post

Date: August 11, 2019 21:42

Joe Amon/The Denver Post

Date: August 11, 2019 21:44

Joe Amon/The Denver Post

Date: August 11, 2019 21:46

Joe Amon/The Denver Post

Date: August 11, 2019 21:48

Joe Amon/The Denver Post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-11 21:50 by bye bye johnny.

Date: August 11, 2019 21:51

Joe Amon/The Denver Post

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 11, 2019 22:14

Nikkei
MisterDDDD
stickyfingers101
erikjjf
jp.M

Interesting. I neither agree or disagree - but you seem to care strongly about relatively (and I mean relatively) new music, which is exciting.

Care to share your 10 favourite records of this year so far?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-11 22:15 by Bastion.

Date: August 11, 2019 22:26

Âctually, I'm totally out of the loop. I can not name a single record that came out this year. Embarrassing I know

Date: August 11, 2019 22:38

Then again, whenever I hear what others listen to these days, it seems to be some sleepy girls voice singing Linkin Park over a dubstep beat or something

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 11, 2019 23:00

The article in the Denver Post is by far the worst review they've received on this current tour. "Mangled chords" have always been part of the Stones' live performances. I recall reading an article in 1975 that chided the band for lacking the precision of "modern day acts."

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: August 11, 2019 23:17

Shawn20
The article in the Denver Post is by far the worst review they've received on this current tour. "Mangled chords" have always been part of the Stones' live performances. I recall reading an article in 1975 that chided the band for lacking the precision of "modern day acts."

lacking the precision of "modern day acts." - ROTFL! That's just hilarious, man!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 11, 2019 23:25

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home