Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

IORR editorial reports - pictures and reviews
Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 7, 2019 20:48

The following is information related to the editorial publishing of The Rolling Stones live show reviews and pictures (photos), as supplied by fans to IORR.

While the Tell Me forum is open for any posting, any reports, and any links, the IORR editorial reports are published based on evaluation and editorial work. They have been published this way, according to the same policy, for more than twenty years, since IORR went online in 1995.

REPORTS:

All reports are published, unless they are fake and/or offending. Nick names or incomplete names may be used when crediting, but reports credited to full real name will be prefered, if there are too many reports to choose from. Reports need to be submitted within 3-4 days after the show. When the next show on the tour is due, the older show reports will be "frozen" i.e. never updated. Time waits for no one.

PHOTOS:

With the volume of cameras and mobile phones around, there are times the IORR editor do receive hundreds of pictures/photos from one single show. The following is an explanation how pictures and reports are selected, through the editorial process.

Personally, as a fan, I go to every show myself. Some times my photos are the only ones available. I do never publish photos made online by others, due to publishing rights. Within 12-18 hours after the show, I look through my own photos, and select 10-20 photos for publication, including one to be used on the home page. If that home page photo is not of high quality, I will always look for replacements. The home page photo is rotated among the band members, to avoid Mick only, Keith only and so on.

Additional photos are highly welcome. Please send them in one or two or max three separate e-mail. Please send photos as attachments, not pasted into the message body. If I am busy, I will ignore multiple e-mail with inline photos i.e. posted in the body, as attachments are easier to work with.

Please do not tag og watermark pictures. All pictures published on IORR will be marked with the name of the person who submitted the picture. Make sure you supply name to be credited.

Please do not send more than 5-10 pictures max. They need to be either original high resolution, or ideally scaled down to 1000 pixels or so wide, if landscape format, or 750 pixels or so if they are "standing" i.e. portrait/mobile phone orientation. Please do not crop and scale the size up, that will make bad blurry pictures.

The picture selection process is complicated. I look for sharp photos with impressions, often close up shots are the best ones. I have been working with photos and IORR since 1980, and I get tons of feedback from many many, so I know what I want, based on the feedback. Pictures should work both on PC and mobile. So far IORR does not have responsive design, like stoneslife.org, so you will get the very same image on your screen regardless of device type used for browsing. That is why all photos should be 1000 wide (landscape) or 750 wide (portrait). Any variations like 950, 1000, 1024 are ok, but please do not scale up to 1300 or 1800, then I will scale down to 1000...

I use the free software Irfanview to scale, crop and reduce picture load time. Format always "jpg". GIF and PNG will be converted to jpg. If you specify file suffix then please use lower case i.e. jpg, not JPG, otherwise I get extra work.

An original 4000 pixel wide high resolution photo may take 5 Megabyte or more of storage space. That is the space equivalent to some two thousand pages of written text. If there were 100 pictures of that size on a reports page, it would be a total of 500 MB i.e. half a Gigabyte, and it would be impossible to read the reports on any PC or mobile phone, unless you were on very very high speed lines.

Google rate and rank web sites based on load time and many other factors. The reason why IORR is ranked top ten on google, among others, is because load time is fast, based on editorial work. Google "give points" to sites with a mix of pictures, text, and also to fast load time.

When selecting pictures I do also look for a variation, so that there are pictures of all band members. Pictures of others than Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie are welcome, but due to less spotlights and photo opportunities, they are unfortunately of less quality photo technical.

As an example, I had many hundred pictures of my own photos to select from following the NJ-2 show. Working in the morning after the show I managed to select 14 of those for publication, in the morning, before I went on the flight to Denver. The next 24 hours I got another 200+ photos from a dozen fans. By editorial work I have been able to find another 18 photos for publication. Charlie are in five, Mick in seven, Keith in nine, and Ronnie in ten pictures. Numbers based on at least 50% in the picture... Ronnie is the easiest for great pictures, he is always colorful, smiling, making himself available up front. Charlie is hard, I rarely get pictures of Charlie from others. Mick is always moving around, often blurred images, and Keith is often blocked by something on stage, being back there with Charlie. Often guitars are "cut", some, or quite a few, think a guitar should not be "cut". And so on...

Please note that IORR is something I do in my spare time. I do my real work also, on tour, all day, then I have may be some hours left for editing, moderating IORR. All tours are busy, and there isn't really an editing staff at IORR. There are many online "helpers" and supporters, supplying info, corrections and feedback, but the editorial work is left to me. Please keep the reports and pictures coming, and enjoy the tour!

Bjornulf, IORR editor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-15 16:43 by bv.

Re: IORR editorial reports - pictures and reviews
Date: August 7, 2019 20:50

Best picture from NJ-2?

Please comment on what YOU think is the best picture from the NJ-2 show, out of those who are published here, see link below. Then both I and others will see the trend, what others like!

The Rolling Stones
Metlife Stadium - Show #2
East Rutherford, NJ, USA (near NYC)
Monday August 5, 2019

Bjornulf

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 7, 2019 20:59

Thanks for the AWESOME photos from Met Life #2...truly amazing photos! I loved the shot of Charlie, all smiles by himself!!! A keeper! You have a photo of Mick with arms raised a bit in red dragon jacket that I LOVE, and one of the 4 Boys with Mick, Ronnie, Charlie and Keith on the far right in turquoise shirt that is GRAND and of course the final bow is amazing! Keep up the great work, I'm loving it!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 7, 2019 21:26

Love the last shot by Victor Woods..
Mick with his toned arm pointing towards Keith, with Ronnie also looking at him slack jawed.

Love the action shots (and the close ups of Charlie smiling winking smiley )

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 7, 2019 21:55

Charlie!
Charlie!
Charlie!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 7, 2019 23:19

The picture of Charlie is indeed GREAT

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 7, 2019 23:21

Charlie!
Also liked Charlie between Mick and Ronnie.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 8, 2019 00:23

Too many great pics to choose just one (including the one of Charlie that's already in place), so....

#1: Mick on harp fronting the band (pic by Bjornulf)

#2: Mick on harp left side, Keith on the right w/Ronnie and Charlie in the middle (pic by Hauke Jürgensen)

#3: Keith (pic by Hauke Jürgensen)

#4 Mick pointing upwards w/"Metlife Stadium" in the background (pic by Hauke Jürgensen)

#5: Keith (pic by Dan Renaldo)

#6 Mick laying in to it grasping mic and stand(pic by Ninthe Keur)

#7 Charlie behind kit smiling (pic by Bjornulf)

#8 Final four bows (pic by Bjornulf)

Aside from these, there have been some great ones from other shows I like alot that were shot from a distance...of Mick out on catwalk alone, the stage/screens setup itself, etc., showing the massive sea of humanity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-08 00:30 by Hairball.

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: August 8, 2019 00:57

In addition to your photos BV, I love all the photos by the Keur's, in particular the one of Mick. I also appreciate seeing all the different gear that Mick wears, to me that is part of the show too. And on that note, could you please post more photos of the raven coat worn during SFTD? He seems to be wearing it more consistently spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: August 8, 2019 00:58

Many good shots, if I were to choose 1 from that set it would be the 2nd one of Ronnie and Keith together, Ron's guitar neck angled up with the slide on his finger

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 8, 2019 04:51

So I like Ronnie’s new pink guitar. I think that was during Brown Sugar? First time I’ve seen it anyway. My 4th show of the tour.

But the real question is how does bv get from the pit to the front of the b-stage and back? Is he in the so-called “golden pit”?

HBK

Date: August 8, 2019 06:43

HouseBoyKnows
So I like Ronnie’s new pink guitar. I think that was during Brown Sugar? First time I’ve seen it anyway. My 4th show of the tour.

But the real question is how does bv get from the pit to the front of the b-stage and back? Is he in the so-called “golden pit”?

HBK

If you have a pit wristband then you can leave the pit at any time, out and back. One time I left before the encore, then walked in front of the B-stage for Gimme Shelter. As long as you do not stop or block then you are fine. They can't stop you from walking out or walking to the restrooms, so it is a matter of "looking like you are on the move"...

During the encores many people leave the show early, also from the pit, so it is never a problem to get back to your same spot. having said that, I did only leave my spot one time on this tour, I use to stay for the whole show, in the same spot.

Bjornulf

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 8, 2019 13:52

bv
HouseBoyKnows

HBK

If you have a pit wristband then you can leave the pit at any time, out and back. One time I left before the encore, then walked in front of the B-stage for Gimme Shelter. As long as you do not stop or block then you are fine. They can't stop you from walking out or walking to the restrooms, so it is a matter of "looking like you are on the move"...

During the encores many people leave the show early, also from the pit, so it is never a problem to get back to your same spot. having said that, I did only leave my spot one time on this tour, I use to stay for the whole show, in the same spot.

Well I applaud your efforts to move around because your pictures are always excellent. I have pretty much stopped taking my own pictures because yours and others are so good. Hope you know I was teasing about the “golden pit”. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 8, 2019 19:25

Good editorial Bjornulf.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 9, 2019 01:23

Reviews,pics and videos are so great to see when so many of us are following The Rolling Stones Tour from all over the world.
Thank you so much BV and everyone else that makes it such a pleasure to see on IORR all the latest stuff to do anything with the latest gig on The Tour.
Well done to you all...…………... from making all of us really 'Happy'.smileys with beer

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 9, 2019 11:24

bv
Best picture from NJ-2?

Please comment on what YOU think is the best picture from the NJ-2 show, out of those who are published here, see link below. Then both I and others will see the trend, what others like!

The Rolling Stones
Metlife Stadium - Show #2
East Rutherford, NJ, USA (near NYC)
Monday August 5, 2019
I cannot select any of them,they are all great! The stunning quality of the published pictures is what makes the reviews great! Thank you for the brilliant job you do!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 9, 2019 20:42

BV, what kind of camera do you use and do you have a Press Pass? I know that cameras with detachable lenses are not allowed unless you have the Press Pass and the press are limited to taking photos ONLY during the first song. How do you manage to take these awesome shots?

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: August 10, 2019 04:09

Yeah, I'm curious, bv, what camera you use. Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Date: August 10, 2019 07:07

mickschix
BV, what kind of camera do you use and do you have a Press Pass? I know that cameras with detachable lenses are not allowed unless you have the Press Pass and the press are limited to taking photos ONLY during the first song. How do you manage to take these awesome shots?

I don't have any pass. I am just a fan in the crowd. I have a SONY pocket camera. Good friends - Hauke and Hendrik have helped me in how to set up the manual settings. I run shutter manual setup according to their advices. It helps a lot to be in the pit, and it helps a lot to see many shows. Then you know their moves, what songs and lights are good and bad for photos and so on.

I wrote this about my now not so new anymore camera in 2016:

Finding a new camera in Sao Paulo

Bjornulf

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: August 10, 2019 19:48

crawdaddy
Reviews,pics and videos are so great to see when so many of us are following The Rolling Stones Tour from all over the world.
Thank you so much BV and everyone else that makes it such a pleasure to see on IORR all the latest stuff to do anything with the latest gig on The Tour.
Well done to you all...…………... from making all of us really 'Happy'.smileys with beer

Indeed! They are all great, but if I had to pick a fav, the one that shows Mick and Keith laughing together, and Charlie with a big smile....

Sue in Spain

My coat is torn and frayed, it's seen much better days, but as long as the guitar plays ....

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: August 23, 2019 19:33

So often LA lets you down. People say it is because there is so much to do and interests are so diversified, it's a town gone wild with ADHD. On Thursday The Rolling Stones brought 57 years worth of experience, musical talent and passion to the Rose Bowl, apparently so did the 70,000 or so fans in attendance. They nearly drowned Mick and the band out singing along during Honky Tonk Woman. In 57 years there have been many legendary concerts and crowds for The Rolling Stones, I am not saying this was a legendary crowd but they were pretty damn good!!!

On this day it was safe to say; the reports of Keith Richard's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Keith was in it from the opening chords of Street Fighting Man to the final moment of his masterpiece, Satisfaction it was legend.
Ronnie Wood has found a passion for playing that he had forgotten about, dating back to the 81 tour, Thank You Ronnie!!. There aren't enough accolades and adjectives to describe Charlie Watts play but the habitually stoic drummer broke into a huge grin in response to the love from the crowd during band introductions and that said it all.

Three of the singularly greatest performing musicians in the history of Rock & Roll stand in the shadow of the Greatest Showman (Shaman?) in the history of.........the world.

What can you say about Mick Jagger? It's already been said and it's all true.
He's a dancer, he's a tease, he's a provocateur. Add that all up and I guess he's a stripper, at least he understands the psychology of the performance.

Mick has always performed like a little boy who is doing something naughty and he likes it....
I don't want to spoil Mick's secret but he has taught it to us for almost 6 decades, it's this; you have to live life with the exuberance of a little boy and the passion of a man........

Mick Jagger is everything he appears to be and everything you think he is, because that's what he wants you to think.....

On Thursday, August 22, 2019; The Rolling Stones clearly enjoyed the crowd as much as the crowd enjoyed them, as evidenced in their extended performance of Satisfaction,the shows finale. What made The Stones great in the beginning was their sense of rebellion and a sense of urgency. Over the course of 57 years it has ebb and flowed a bit but tonight you heard it, you could feel it.

Isn't it ironic that what drove them at 20 is driving them in their 70s, rebelling against the establishment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1480
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home