Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Bobbie Gentry
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 6, 2019 16:21

-Just had to post this. It`s such a great clip from Andy Williams show, 1967:

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Bobbie Gentry
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 6, 2019 18:09

glad you did, thanks.

got me to looking into Bobbie Gentry.. very sophisticated musician, I didn't know that..

Im old enough to remember 'Ode to Billie Joe' when it was first on the radio. it was very eerie..and I always liked the sound of that gut string guitar.

She did things in a very thoughtful way..her way..

I wonder what a show of hers would have been like, would she have hired a string section, to do 'Billie Joe' ? I bet she had some soulful players in her band, I assume she did a few tours.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: August 6, 2019 18:55

She is AMAZING. At her peak, she basically quit the music biz and has been reclusive for decades. Great vocal on Ode...great writing too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 6, 2019 19:23

That tune brings back so many memories - from trying to sing along to it w/my sister when it came on the radio, to lengthy family roadtrips.
And she might have been my first celebrity crush when I was just five years old....smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 6, 2019 19:57

She does a great job on "Fancy" (recorded in Muscle Shoals at Fame, I think) - later covered by Reba.

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: August 6, 2019 19:58

loved ode to billie joe if you lokked on billboards top 100 say from 67 till 72 you had all types of music from a johnny cash song to Sinatra to stones and everything in between those were the days

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 6, 2019 19:58

And she was smoking hot, too!

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 6, 2019 22:14

Ms Gentry is in a bit of a renaissance lately. I think a large box set of all of her albums is out there or about to be. Re Ode to Billy Joe here's a cool take or two on the song I've come across.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 7, 2019 06:07

She and Glen Campbell did a terrific album.
Ode is not only a great song, but it's also a great record (something that's been missing for the past three decades).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2184
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home