Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Anyone care for The Levellers?
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 6, 2019 04:04

As a kid I went through some tapes my uncle had made and got exposed to Levelling The Land and Zeitgeist. It left quite an impression. I remember believing it had to be Jethro Tull because my uncle had these posters up. Several years later I went through his CDs to add to my mp3 collection and discovered the whole thing from a different perspective, being able to understand english now. They must have been quite big in the UK back in the early 90s. Today their whole political angle seems sort of quaint, but I still dig it. To me it always felt like "autumn music" and I dig the variety of instrumentation. Not just the violin, also the didgeridoo. Not many bands like that these days. Never seen them live, but it's probably too late for that.

Re: OT: Anyone care for The Levellers?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 6, 2019 09:35

They're still going as far as I know .

They're kind of English "Folk Punk" in the same way that Tull did a lot of English flavoured Folk Rock.

there's unique charm about those blends of genre that folks really ought to check out if they can. smiling smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 6, 2019 11:00

A schoolmate took me to a concert of theirs in the late nineties - it is funny that your thread brings back this memory.I must admit that I like the music of the Pogues much more.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 6, 2019 11:06

I'm sort of the other way I think.

The Irish flavoured stuff's been done to death over the years .

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 6, 2019 18:34

"Irish Flavoured" is a good term. I played the Levellers and was told to check out the Dropkick Murphys. That's not where it's at.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home