Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitar Q re '72 tour
Date: August 4, 2019 16:13

How many Les Pauls do you think they had with them on the '72 tour?
Keith used LP for 'Bitch', and "Bye Bye Johnny'. Also back then he was doing the 'Rambler' on a LP. I've seen Keith with a black LP, the one with a cream colored pick guard and binding on "Bitch". But "Johnny" and "Rambler" always with a tan LP. Then Taylor had his.
Is there a number? Did they change things up as the tour progressed?
What other songs did Keith use a LP? "Love in Vain"? And the Strat? Did he keep using it all through the tour?

Re: Guitar Q re '72 tour
Posted by: bitman ()
Date: August 4, 2019 20:11

Based on this Ken Reagan photo, it would appear to be two.

ken regan pic

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 4, 2019 21:19

My eagle-eyed guitar fan 9 year old boys want to know why Keef's transparent guitar (second from left) has the strap strapped on as if for a left-handed player?

Date: August 4, 2019 21:21

On closer inspection, it could be a leg of the bench behind...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 4, 2019 23:03

peoplewitheyes
My eagle-eyed guitar fan 9 year old boys want to know why Keef's transparent guitar (second from left) has the strap strapped on as if for a left-handed player?

That goes for some of the others as well. I don't know why smiling smiley

The Dan Armstrong is a bass, btw.

Date: August 5, 2019 00:20

Ha ha! Spotted the strap position, but in all the excitement didn't notice that it was a bass!

Still, it is a little odd, no? Wonder why they would do that. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this most important of mysteries...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 5, 2019 10:43

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 5, 2019 12:17

peoplewitheyes

Because Bill Wyman always fitted a second strap button to the lower horn of his basses, so that he could tilt the neck up higher -to almost vertical. He did this to all his basses until the headless basses he started using from 1989 on.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 5, 2019 12:27

Palace Revolution 2000
Keith used LP for 'Bitch', and "Bye Bye Johnny'. Also back then he was doing the 'Rambler' on a LP. I've seen Keith with a black LP, the one with a cream colored pick guard and binding on "Bitch". But "Johnny" and "Rambler" always with a tan LP. Then Taylor had his.
What other songs did Keith use a LP? "Love in Vain"? And the Strat? Did he keep using it all through the tour?

Nobody knows how many guitars exactly they traveled with (according to Ted Newman Jones 'more than 30'), and they changed quite some guitars after half a dozen shows and nobody knows why (after San Francisco gone are the Dan Armstrong, ES-355, Bronco, LP Gold Top, sunburst Fender Telecaster, the Mustang basses, the 3 pickup Custom).

But on stage proven is that they used two Les Paul sunburst guitars (one for Mick Taylor and one for Keith, both owned by Taylor), Keith used a stripped down gold top Les Paul with P90 at some early shows (most likely for Happy and Tumbling Dice), a 3 pickup Custom with bigsby at one of the Seattle shows (with a capo on the second fret for an unidentified track), and a 1955 Les Paul Custom with P90 and Alnico staple pickup for Midnight Rambler and sometimes Bye Bye Johnnie.

Mathijs

Date: August 5, 2019 19:20

Mathijs
Palace Revolution 2000

Nobody knows how many guitars exactly they traveled with (according to Ted Newman Jones 'more than 30'), and they changed quite some guitars after half a dozen shows and nobody knows why (after San Francisco gone are the Dan Armstrong, ES-355, Bronco, LP Gold Top, sunburst Fender Telecaster, the Mustang basses, the 3 pickup Custom).

But on stage proven is that they used two Les Paul sunburst guitars (one for Mick Taylor and one for Keith, both owned by Taylor), Keith used a stripped down gold top Les Paul with P90 at some early shows (most likely for Happy and Tumbling Dice), a 3 pickup Custom with bigsby at one of the Seattle shows (with a capo on the second fret for an unidentified track), and a 1955 Les Paul Custom with P90 and Alnico staple pickup for Midnight Rambler and sometimes Bye Bye Johnnie.

Mathijs

Thanks so much Mathijs. I knew you'd have it. I think that is what confused me - that it seemed like early on they had a bunch of guitars that then were not seen again. the 3 PU black one I know didn't last also. But I have seen either photos or footage of Keith with a black 2 PU LP, with cream colored pickguard. I think one of the main bootlegs even has that as a cover.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 8, 2019 23:35

Father Ted
KR Gibson ad

You wouldn't see teeth like that in an advert these days. Probably a good thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1919
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home