Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My favourite Stones opening
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 4, 2019 15:45

First, there should be a fat man in a tuxedo below average height announcing "Ladies and Gentlemen, the greatest rock and roll band in the world; The Rolling Stones!", waving his hand from left to right nearly losing his ballance (of course with a cheer from the audience). Then Keith Richards comes creeping across the floor from one of the wings with a spotlight following him,striking the first chords. All of a sudden Mick comes up from behind from the other wing, or centerstage, dancing and jumping like never before. Then Ronnie comes up behind him, just not able to stand still while playing, and jumping over his shoulders. Somewhere in between this, Charlie has added his well known drumming, and you know what everybody`s thinking; "What a band!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-04 16:10 by noughties.

Re: My favourite Stones opening
Date: August 4, 2019 15:49

Matt should bring his tux the next time winking smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 4, 2019 21:34

1978 JFK Stadium, Philadelphia:

Opening suddenly, simultaneously...

ALL the southern emergency doors...

So we all ran in for free!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 4, 2019 22:45

Not Fade Away. Under My Thumb. Can't remember where or when but just loved it?

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 4, 2019 23:01

Street fighting man, most times for me.

Posted by: tony ()
Date: August 4, 2019 23:35

Besides my first show at the garden ‘75. (Such a thrill to see Mick riding the petal leaf down), I love Continental Drift into Start Me Up. Steel Wheels.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 4, 2019 23:38

I loved the "Take The A Train" intro followed by Under My Thumb on the 1981/82 tour.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 5, 2019 00:26

I think Love you Live had Fanfare for the Common Man as an opener. Wow! Would have loved to have been there.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: August 5, 2019 01:06

Sympathy For The Devil.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: August 5, 2019 01:25

No Security. The video of the guys in the empty warehouse...riding up in the freight elevator...then, Keith striding onstage ripping off the opening riff to JJF.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: August 5, 2019 02:20

tony
Besides my first show at the garden ‘75. (Such a thrill to see Mick riding the petal leaf down), I love Continental Drift into Start Me Up. Steel Wheels.

Continental Drift was always an interesting starter.

On the very first night of that tour in Philly in 1989 the album had not yet been released (it was due the next day), so hardly anyone in the crowd had heard, or even knew the first thing about, the strange and very un-Stones-like track that was playing. Brave choice.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 5, 2019 02:58

best opening EVER....Aaron Copeland Fanfare for The Common Man....Honky Tonk Woman. No competition.

[video.search.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-05 03:01 by Rip This.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 5, 2019 10:49

I can't decide .

Folks have mentioned some great openings down the years and they were all somehow just right for their time .

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 5, 2019 10:57

One Hit (To The Body) would be perfect. Any stadium audience would be on fire, although almost nobody knows the song. But of course it will never happen. They don't wanna play songs from the World War III era.

Paint It Black, the opening song in some 2006 shows wasn't a bad idea eighter. But I can live with Street Fighting Man.

Posted by: rod ()
Date: August 5, 2019 11:07

Monsoon Ragoon
One Hit (To The Body) would be perfect. Any stadium audience would be on fire, although almost nobody knows the song. But of course it will never happen. They don't wanna play songs from the World War III erA

AMEN!!

I've been thinking about it for yearsthumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: August 5, 2019 11:18

CaptainCorella
tony

Continental Drift was always an interesting starter.

On the very first night of that tour in Philly in 1989 the album had not yet been released (it was due the next day), so hardly anyone in the crowd had heard, or even knew the first thing about, the strange and very un-Stones-like track that was playing. Brave choice.

But you know CD wasn't an opening song, but an intro from tape. But I don't think it was a bad decision. The same with Might As Well Get Juiced in 1999; it didn't work as a live song (MSG 98), but great intro.

Date: August 5, 2019 11:25

Anyway. Please, dear The Rolling Stones, don’t start with Start Me Up or Brown Sugar. That's the only thing we can hope for ;-) Most shows with these opening songs were more or less Greatest Hits spectacles. Sympathy is very strange eighter.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 5, 2019 11:40

TheBadRabbit
No Security. The video of the guys in the empty warehouse...riding up in the freight elevator...then, Keith striding onstage ripping off the opening riff to JJF.

My favourite also.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 5, 2019 12:04

I loved Bill Graham, the 198/82 tour promoter, announcing the band.
That was a classic.
That had greatness.
That was like the Stones should be announced.
You can here it on "Still Life" Side 1 after the Duke-Ellington Intro Bill is on!

And again: Nothing against Matt Clifford, who play a important and good role in the band-chemistry BUT he please shouldn't announce anymore. He doesn't even have the voice for it.
Am I the only one here noticing this?

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 5, 2019 12:51

Of the tours I've personally attended, I enjoyed 'Not Fade Away' starting the Voodoo Lounge shows. (1st Tour was Urban Jungle 1990)

Prior to that, the guitar heavy Under My Thumb in 81/82 sounds good.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 5, 2019 17:52

The greatest of them all has to be Enmore Theatre, Sydney Feb 18 2003 when they arrived on stage and slammed straight into Midnight Rambler.

Can you imagine how confident they must have been to do that. And how mind blowing for that.

And as if that wasn't good enough to follow it with Tumbling Dice, Dead Flowers, Live With Me, No Expectations and Neighbours. It doesn't get much better than that.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 5, 2019 20:53

Fanfare for the common Man/HTW is so prefect on Love you Live. On the 75 boots, that same opening doesn't have the same impact. I wonder what accounts for the difference, Is it the Mix?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 5, 2019 20:55

" . . over there - Billy Wyman . . " lol

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 5, 2019 21:32

In Jax the band was never introduced Keith just started playing

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 5, 2019 21:49

TheBadRabbit

Yea, this was quite the opening!

Date: August 5, 2019 22:28

Mine is "Not Fade Away" Miami VooDoo Lounge

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 6, 2019 00:30

1981. Under My Thumb...Epic!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2019 00:38

No Security. The video of the guys in the empty warehouse...riding up in the freight elevator...

Yeah that's a goodun ……………… Rock-n-Roll Gladiators ……..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 6, 2019 01:01

I Wanna Be Your Man was the best opener they had an ages. A pity they dropped it.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 6, 2019 01:08

1975 TOTA opening of the lotus stage and starting with "Honky Tonk Women". That was epic and I was there on 7/9/1975 LA Forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-06 01:17 by Midnight Toker.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home