Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: East Rutherford #1 show 1-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: August 2, 2019 15:24

Question: Was there a lot of tickets being sold outside of the stadium?

The Rolling Stones - East Rutherford NJ #1 1-August-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 2, 2019 15:26

Aristide Economopoulos

The Rolling Stones - East Rutherford NJ #1 1-August-2019 Stones No Filter Tour
Date: August 2, 2019 15:28

Aristide Economopoulos

Date: August 2, 2019 15:31

Aristide Economopoulos

Date: August 2, 2019 15:32

Aristide Economopoulos

Date: August 2, 2019 15:33

Aristide Economopoulos

Date: August 2, 2019 15:35

Aristide Economopoulos

Date: August 2, 2019 15:36

Aristide Economopoulos

Date: August 2, 2019 15:38

Aristide Economopoulos

Date: August 2, 2019 15:40

Aristide Economopoulos

Date: August 2, 2019 15:42

Aristide Economopoulos

Date: August 2, 2019 16:42

Rolling Stones at MetLife Stadium: The Mighty Mick Jagger

Chris Jordan | Aug. 2, 2019

Michael Karas/NorthJersey.com

The Mighty Mick

Here was Mick Jagger on stage with the Rolling Stones, a few months removed from heart surgery, with a glittering jacket, swaying his hips and pushing guitarist Ron Wood to the side while bellowing out the night’s opening song, “Street Fighting Man."

Did we mention he just turned 76.

Jagger, still very trim, is a force of nature, an expert craftsman and a rock ‘n’ roll frontman without peer. It’s all part of the reason why the Stones show, opened by the Wombats, on Thursday, Aug. 1 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford was a remarkable event.

Where do we begin? First, let’s first state the band is still a master of multiple styles of music, from the county twang of “Sweet Virginia,” to the psychedelia pop of “She’s a Rainbow” to the barroom blues of “Midnight Rambler,” it’s all there. Keith Richards and Ron Wood’s slash and cut style of guitar playing keeps the energy high and Charlie Watts’ fluidly understated style on drums lets the music swing. He rightly seemed pleased with himself for the jazz riff at the end of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”

Bassist Darryl Jones provides a powerful bottom and he showed off his funk chops on a “Miss You” solo. Keyboardist Chuck Leavell provided sparkling accents on electric piano throughout the night. His highlights on “Rainbow’ were starkly beautiful.

Richards sang lead on “Slipping Away” and “Before They Make Me Run.” The former was lushly presented and very touching.

Conversely, “Sympathy for the Devil,” framed by current events, was downright dangerous. The Stones are still the bad boys of rock ‘n’ roll.

Blame, or credit, Jagger for that. He had heart valve surgery on April 5 in New York City and consequently dates of the band’s No Filter were postponed. The Rolling Stones are now at MetLife on Thursday and Monday, Aug. 5 after the original dates, June 13 and 17, were called off.

Jagger's getting around, and that includes breakfast on Thursday, the morning of the show, at the Tick Tock Diner on Route 3 in Clifton.

He was in the mood for some good American food, he said.

“So we went to the Tick Tock Diner!” said Jagger on the stage to cheers. “We had Taylor ham, egg and cheese! With Disco fries! And sloppy joe to go!”

The crowd lost interest when Jagger brought up the American Dream complex next to the stadium. It was a mix of murmurs and light boos.

The American Dream reference was perhaps Jagger’s only misstep in the night. In fact, he seemed to grow stronger over the two hours the band was on stage. He did his famous elbows high-and-tight strut down the catwalk stage for “Miss You” and his voice was as strong as ever for “Jumping Jack Flash,” performed after 11 p.m.

Again, remarkable, and not just because there were none of the anticipated NJ Transit issues after the show. Back to the second song of the set, “Let’s Spend the Night Together,” here was Jagger, taking off his jacket to reveal his taut belly singing the line “I’ll satisfy your every need” without a hint of irony despite his age or recent medical condition.

Rock ‘n’ roll can do wonders for you.

[www.app.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-02 16:43 by bye bye johnny.

Re: The Rolling Stones - East Rutherford NJ #1 1-August-2019
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 2, 2019 18:10

bye bye johnny
The Rolling Stones at MetLife Stadium

By Jeremy Schneider | August 02, 2019

Aristide Economopoulos

In a perfect world, The Rolling Stones would rock forever. But even Mick Jagger is human.

The legendary band's two No Filter Tour stops at MetLife Stadium was postponed earlier this year so the heart of the Stones could undergo heart valve surgery.

The first of the two shows, which were originally scheduled for June, took place on Thursday night. But with the amount of energy Jagger brought from the moment he swaggered onto the stage in East Rutherford, one could have easily forgotten that his 76th birthday was just last week, let alone that he had undergone heart surgery mere months ago.

No one (other than Jagger’s doctor) is going to tell the last vestige of the British Invasion to stop touring, no matter its age.

The boys from London aren’t some group chasing the glory days or chasing yet another paycheck — even though those checks must be pretty sweet. They still put on a damn good show, and they absolutely brought down the house across a mesmerizing 19-song, two hour-plus performance Thursday.

It all starts with Jagger, of course. His patented struts and preens were out and about as he pursed his lips, pointed to the crowd, clapped his hands and gyrated his hips. You know, the usual.

The consummate frontman still, after all this time, never stops moving and the literal great-grandfather had multiple outfit changes to boot, including a leather fedora and an array of sparkly, bright-colored jackets.

Jagger thanked the crowd for having patience following the postponement. He even boosted his Garden State bona fides by talking about how the band went to Tick Tock Diner just up Route 3 in Clifton, eating Taylor ham, egg and cheese sandwiches, disco fries and Sloppy Joes.

Was this classic Jersey pandering? Yes. Is cardiologist thrilled about this? No. But the cheers still rained down from the stadium packed with multiple generations of lifelong Stones diehards.

Jagger's voice might not be quite as strong as it once was, but his drop-off isn’t even close to as notable as other aged singers. It doesn’t appear he’s uses a backing track, though he may rely on backup singers more than he used to. But the verve and enthusiasm he brings to the stage outdoes all. He played guitar on several songs, and his harmonica playing on “Midnight Rambler” was truly impressive. It wasn’t until “Paint It, Black” late in the set that you felt him lagging a bit. But hey, we'll cut Mick friggin' Jagger some slack.

Keith Richards’ decline as a guitarist is perhaps a bit more pronounced, though he shined during his searing “Sympathy for the Devil” solo and then took the microphone for “Slipping Away” and “Before They Make Me Run.” Longtime rhythm guitarist Ronnie Wood still shreds, and his guitar solos were likely the most impressive musical component of the night from the original members [sic].

Now, no one would blame the band, in its 57th year of performing, if it was simply going through the motions, cranking through the hits and getting the hell out of dodge. But the performance never felt that way with the Stones, who turned into a jam band during the later tracks, riffing and soloing and stretching out songs, sometimes with the help of their touring members. A organ solo in “Can’t Always Get What You Want,” in which Jagger turned into a pastor and had the crowd of 55,000 clapping like MetLife had become a southern Baptist church.

They of course saved some of their best work for last, encoring with “Gimme Shelter,” featuring soulful and inspired vocals from the incredible background singer (and former "The Voice" contestant) Sasha Allen, her and Jagger cat-walking down the long runway-like stage. Then “Satisfaction” capped the night, with Jagger bowing as fireworks lit up the Bergen County sky.

The day will come when The Rolling Stones no longer tour, when the biggest living rockstars hang up their guitars and microphones — and who can blame them, they’re almost in their 80s. That threat alone is enough to make dropping a hundred dollars or more to see them play MetLife again on Monday worth it. But if this performance was any indication, this is no farewell tour.

The day will come when The Rolling Stones no longer tour, when the biggest living rockstars hang up their guitars and microphones — and who can blame them, they’re almost in their 80s. That threat alone is enough to make dropping a hundred dollars or more to see them play MetLife again on Monday worth it. But if this performance was any indication, this is no farewell tour.

[expo.nj.com]

Its nice to see: Journslists of the city they play in all have one thing in common, wether from this or the last tours since 2012:
They all love the show, wonder how good the performance is and they all are giving honour to the Stones

Re: East Rutherford #1 show 1-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 2, 2019 18:12

Date: August 2, 2019 19:02

Mick name checked the Tick Tock Diner last night. An unnamed hostess claims he had breakfast there, while another said "He must have been wearing a costume.":

Rolling Stones got satisfaction at Tick Tock in Clifton before MetLife show

[www.northjersey.com]

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: August 2, 2019 19:10

I still can't believe how much better Keith's fingers look...

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: August 2, 2019 19:11

Thanks everyone for the concert and transit reports!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 2, 2019 19:33

Straycat13
We like that when you share the mic on Dead Flowers, Mick and Keith!

"Someone" posted a picture on the home page. Thank you Bjornulf.smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 2, 2019 19:34

Excellent pics and reviews - thanks again to everyone for posting.
Chomping at the bit now whilst waiting for the Santa Clara show to roll around!smiling smiley

Date: August 2, 2019 19:36

Hairball
Chomping at the bit now whilst waiting for the Santa Clara show to roll around!smiling smiley

I hope you get Happy.

Date: August 2, 2019 19:48

shattered
Hairball

I hope you get Happy.

To follow up and in reply to your other post in the "Half way on the tour..." thread:

You can't always get what you want... winking smiley

If not Santa Clara, there's a chance in Pasadena and/or Glendale, but not counting on it...seems Keith is sticking to his guns and in a bit of a rut now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-02 19:49 by Hairball.

Date: August 2, 2019 19:51

Hairball
shattered
Hairball

I hope you get Happy.

To follow up and in reply to your other post in the "Half way on the tour..." thread:

If not Santa Clara, there's a chance in Pasadena and/or Glendale, but not counting on it...seems Keith is sticking to his guns and in a bit of a rut now.

He can change if he wants. I noticed Happy was missing too but didn't say anything since things are going so good.

Date: August 2, 2019 19:56

shattered
Hairball
shattered
Hairball

I hope you get Happy.

He can change if he wants. I noticed Happy was missing too but didn't say anything since things are going so good.

If not, no biggie...I've seen Happy live more times than I can count lol, but it is his best song (and in my top 10 Stones favorites), and deserves to be played at every show imo!
I'm pretty sure most in attendance - especially the casual fans - would rather hear Happy than Slipping Away, but...not complaining...smiling smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: August 2, 2019 20:05

Hairball, I love "Happy" too, but my No1 Keith's song is - by far- "You Got The Silver"...
Just preferences...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 2, 2019 20:20

Most of the reviews posted after the gigs seems to be made by tourist centres. They are all alike. Tributes rather than critical reviews.
If you have read one you have read them all. Fine with me. To each his own. But objective or well written they are not.

Date: August 2, 2019 20:22

laertisflash
Hairball, I love "Happy" too, but my No1 Keith's song is - by far- "You Got The Silver"...
Just preferences...

Yes laertisflash- Silver is my second favorite and his second best. winking smiley
Ultimate Keith set would include both Happy and You Got the Silver!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 2, 2019 20:31

I must agree "Slipping Away" has a sedating quality. It can put a whole stadium to sleep. Maybe they should rename it to "Sleeping Away"?
I forgot, it's great. Sorry...

Re: The Rolling Stones - East Rutherford NJ #1 1-August-2019
Posted by: joshbg2k ()
Date: August 2, 2019 20:40

bye bye johnny

Aristide Economopoulos

Amazing photos! What camera are you using? I’m in the pit Monday and might have to upgrade.

Date: August 2, 2019 20:50

Stoneage
Most of the reviews posted after the gigs seems to be made by tourist centres. They are all alike. Tributes rather than critical reviews.
If you have read one you have read them all. Fine with me. To each his own. But objective or well written they are not.

There was criticism in this review, both on Mick's singing and Keith's fading guitar skills. Did you miss this?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 2, 2019 20:54

Stoneage

You do have to give them credit for continuously coming up with new adjectives to make you cringe. Winner today is the "lushly presented" Slipping Away. What does that even mean

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home