Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod Stewart vs Mick Jagger
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 31, 2019 17:57

Hi
I think the Rod Stewart albums are as good as the Stones at that era as long as Ron played on it.

I just saw Rod live in Paris and the concert missed true RnR

First Step (1970)
Long Player (1971)
A nod is as good as a wink ... to a blind horse (1971)*****
Ooh La La (1973)
Coast To Coast: Overture And Beginners (1974, live album)

An old raincoat won't ever let you down (The Rod Stewart album) 1969
Gasoline alley 1970 -
Every picture tells a story 1971 *****
Never a dull moment
Smiler

Re: Rod Stewart vs Mick Jagger
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 31, 2019 19:08

Rod who?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 31, 2019 19:17

Seriously , really , it's not April fools

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 31, 2019 19:50

steffiestones
Hi
I think the Rod Stewart albums are as good as the Stones at that era as long as Ron played on it.

First Step (1970)
Long Player (1971)
Ooh La La (1973)

Gasoline alley 1970 -
Never a dull moment
Smiler

Yes, Rod's early 70's catalog (with and without Faces) is very strong. The Stones career catalog is stronger and longer lasting, though.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 31, 2019 20:10

steffiestones
Hi

First Step (1970)
Long Player (1971)
Ooh La La (1973)

Gasoline alley 1970 -
Never a dull moment
Smiler

I think not

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: July 31, 2019 20:13

Hello,

I am a big fan of those early Rod albums. He was able to develop a career as a solo artist that Mick could not.

Bye
Fernando

Date: July 31, 2019 20:38

when you look at rods career from the jeff beck group releases to a night on the town its a run that very few, even the stones, never achieved. starting with footloose and fancy free things became a lot more hit and miss

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 31, 2019 21:28

Jagger sang duets with Tina Turner and Bowie.. I wonder what his relationship was with Rod Stewart after he 'stole' Ronnie.
I think That Ronnie could play more his own style with The Faces than with the Stones

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 31, 2019 21:57

Fernandobsas
Hello,

I am a big fan of those early Rod albums. He was able to develop a career as a solo artist that Mick could not.

Bye
Fernando

Guys like Rod, Elton, etc. are bigger than Mick as a solo artist but Mick will always be bigger as lead singer of the Stones!

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: July 31, 2019 22:02

I think they are Mick and Rod like to sides of the same coin, both are very good songwriters, they are both very inteligent businessman, they were also influenced by the same music.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 31, 2019 22:03

I've been finding Faces clips with Rod on YouTube. Great stuff. There was a period though when Rod was chasing Mick, dressing like him, doing Stones songs. Rod has a one of a kind voice. I'm hoping to see him with Jeff Beck in September.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: July 31, 2019 22:24

What's interesting in Rod's current tour is that there's different kinds of concerts: some of them are named "The Hits" and some "In Concert".

That would be great also for the Stones: some of the concerts could be "Hot Rocks" and some for example "No Filter". So, if you wanna hear the hits, you see the hits gig and if you're tired of them, go see the other.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 31, 2019 23:56

rod and mick were always different.

rod was better suited to solo stuff, while mick was better for the stones.

could rod ever have been a stone for 57 years i doubt it, but mick could have been a solo singer if he had nothing else to do.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 1, 2019 04:17

Fernandobsas
I think they are Mick and Rod like to sides of the same coin, both are very good songwriters, they are both very inteligent businessman, they were also influenced by the same music.

Bye
Fernando

And 2 of the best front men ever

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 1, 2019 04:21

Both made the right decision, Rod going solo and Jagger staying in a band.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2019 05:04

Mick sings the Blues
Rod sings for the Blue Rinse ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 1, 2019 05:20

Rod is a better soccer player.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 1, 2019 07:41

I love the Faces and of course the Stones but I’m not sure it’s the Rod vs Mick angle that’s worth debating. Keith is the key player, IMO.

In a perfect world, rather than Ronnie joining the Stones, Keith would’ve joined the Faces. In that incarnation, The Faces would’ve been able to stake their claim as the greatest Rock ‘n Roll Band in the world and not even Mick could deny them. Three or four group songs, three Keith songs and a couple from Ronnie Lane and Rod = killer album that would’ve eclipsed anything the Stones did. Rod is arguably a better singer anyways…

It only gets better though because when Rod inevitably goes full-time solo Mick is persuaded to join The Faces essentially making the The Stones and The Faces the same band under different names. It really should’ve gone down that way…

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 1, 2019 10:07

.....But how could you pension bill & Charlie off so early grinning smiley

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: August 1, 2019 11:12

Bill did join the faces!....but only for a one off wembley gig I think

(come to think of it the faces drummer kenny jones joined the who, and Ian McLagan played keyboards on the New Barbarians and a couple of stones tours tatto you era)

Always love the links between groups, whos played with who shame is doesn't happen so much anymore, dont think ronnie has played on record since rods unplugged

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 1, 2019 11:18

wonderboy
Both made the right decision, Rod going solo and Jagger staying in a band.

Yes and you wonder what would have happened to Mick's career IF he had folded the band on gone Solo.
Would he still be making new records now?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 1, 2019 13:11

I don't recall the Stones ever doing a Rod/Faces cover. But Rod/Faces did cover Street Fighting Man, It's All Over Now and Love In Vain shamelessly. And they famously use to play Get Yer Ya Yas Out before they went on stage in 1970 to vibe themselves up.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 1, 2019 13:22

In music there is a dividing line between Rock and Showbiz. Mick has just managed to keep the right side of the line while post-Faces Rod has been just on the wrong side.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: August 1, 2019 13:23

Silver Dagger
I don't recall the Stones ever doing a Rod/Faces cover. But Rod/Faces did cover Street Fighting Man, It's All Over Now and Love In Vain shamelessly. And they famously use to play Get Yer Ya Yas Out before they went on stage in 1970 to vibe themselves up.

I believe the Stones also covered It's All Over Now as well though winking smiley

Date: August 1, 2019 13:48

JumpinJimF
Silver Dagger

I believe the Stones also covered It's All Over Now as well though winking smiley

Of course but they did it first. winking smiley

Date: August 1, 2019 16:13

Silver Dagger

I don't really get what this implies as rod did some covers in the 60's and 70's that the stones covered in the 00's

Date: August 1, 2019 16:18

A couple of nights ago I was listening to Rod live recordings. That box set from when he was still great. Then last night I was watching Uriah Heep and Deep Purple live sets ( don't hold it against me). And again it struck me that we, as Stones fans take Jagger's ad-libs, his wit, his talking for granted. But no one of the other lead singers even comes close at his command, and just plain content of ad libbing, rapping.
I hear these other guys, they sound lost, "Oh yeah" "I want everybody to clap your hands" -whoope do.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 1, 2019 16:43

Palace Revolution 2000
... Then last night I was watching Uriah Heep and Deep Purple live sets ( don't hold it against me)...

Too late . You should never have admitted it grinning smiley

Date: August 1, 2019 16:56

Palace Revolution 2000
A couple of nights ago I was listening to Rod live recordings. That box set from when he was still great. Then last night I was watching Uriah Heep and Deep Purple live sets ( don't hold it against me). And again it struck me that we, as Stones fans take Jagger's ad-libs, his wit, his talking for granted. But no one of the other lead singers even comes close at his command, and just plain content of ad libbing, rapping.
I hear these other guys, they sound lost, "Oh yeah" "I want everybody to clap your hands" -whoope do.

go watch 60+ year old dee snider ad lib

Date: August 1, 2019 18:17

keefriffhard4life
Silver Dagger

I don't really get what this implies as rod did some covers in the 60's and 70's that the stones covered in the 00's

It doesn't imply anything, it states a truth. I'm pretty sure both Rod and Ronnie Wood would both be the first to admit that they totally looked up to the Stones. Oh, I forgot - another one - Drift Away. The Stones recorded it in 73 but it was never released. Rod put it on Atlantic Crossing which came out in 75.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home