Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: People go crazy when the warhorses start
Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 31, 2019 23:59

Playing the warhorses ensures The Stones remain rock s biggest living tourist attraction.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 1, 2019 00:25

Hairball
EddieByword
J.J.Flash
Show me a band that doesn't play their biggest hits and I'll show you a half empty crowd.

Neil Young.....5 'hits' (fairly famous) out of 25 songs?........

Almost typical of his ever varying setlists but most notable for me as he opened with a 27 minute version of 'Like an Inca'....not played since 1982....................Amazing example of artistic integrity and not just 'Playing to the gallery'.........

Neil Young & Promise of the Real
Fox Theatre - Pomona, CA.

Setlist
1. Like A Inca
2. @#$%& Up
3. When You Dance I Can Really Love
4. The Loner
5. Cinnamon Girl
6. Cortez The Killer
7. Human Highway
8. From Hank To Hendrix
9. Peace Of Mind
10. I Am A Child
11. Show Me
12. Neighborhood
13. Words
14. If I Could Her Tonight
15. Walk On
16. Texas Rangers
17. Powderfunger
18. Cowgirl In The Sand
19. Seed Justice
20. Peace Trail
21. I've Been Waiting For You
22. Hey, Hey, My, My
23. Encore Break
24. Roll Another Number
25. Piece Of Crap

Fantastic - I was at this show (and the second night also) in between Desert Trip weekends, and am standing just to the left of this guy who filmed this clip.

Neil Young & POTR - "Like An Inca", Live @ The Fox Theatre, Pomona CA 10/12/2016

Took a few decent pics myself including this one:

One of the more memorable Neil shows I've ever been to, and there's been quite a few thanks to his ever-changing setlists - you never quite know what will be played.
At these Pomona and Desert Trip shows, he had a massive 3 x 4 foot (apprx) handwritten setlist filled with hundreds of songs to choose from - at one point showing it to the crowd and randomly pointing at a song without looking - sure enough they played it!

You lucky bastard.....grinning smiley... what a track and what bottle (as we say in England) (courage) to do that...................wow......and, nice photo......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 00:26 by EddieByword.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 1, 2019 03:02

with most bands, some big hits are not always the best songs, sometimes some best songs are never big hits, its the same with the stones.

jj flash
brown sugar
gimme shelter
midnight rambler
street fighting man
paint it black

those are some of the best songs and big hits, and obvious warhorses.

but other big hits like

its only rock and roll
miss you
tumbling dice
are not anywhere near the best songs, they are big hits cos the stones told us they were by playing them to death, same with you got me rocking, a basic below par song becomes a semi warhorse only because the band played it so often
there is no direct relation between any bands big hits and their greatest songs.

jigsaw puzzle
slave
citadel
2120 south michigan avenue
winter
wild horses
moonlight mile
rocks off
loving cup
time waits for no one

are some of the greatest stones songs ever, but few are big hits or warhorses.

the band themselves have shaped opinion as to what some perceive as to be a big hit regardless of whether its a great song or not.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 1, 2019 08:14

I consider, among quite a few others, Brown Sugar and Tumbling Dice as the greatest of Stones songs. They can't go wrong playing those 2 live.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: August 1, 2019 11:59

It would be great if they scratched 5 warhorses from the setlist, and did a ''warhorse song vote'' in addition to the usual song vote.

Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Gimme Shelter
It's Only Rock 'N Roll
Paint It Black

Instead of playing these songs every night, only the winner would be played.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 1, 2019 12:50

bv
J.J.Flash
Show me a band that doesn't play their biggest hits and I'll show you a half empty crowd.

Robert Plant. He just resist to doing Led Zep hits, he is doing his own stuff. I do admire him for that.

He has consistently brought out quality music since Led Zeppelin disbanded but he does play a handful of Zeppelin songs in his set.

Here is his set list from Halden, Norway, on July 2 this year -

When the Levee Breaks
(Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe McCoy cover that LZ recorded)
Turn It Up
Black Dog (Led Zeppelin song)
The May Queen
Going to California (Led Zeppelin song)
Poor Howard (Lead Belly cover)
Carry Fire
Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You (Joan Baez cover that LZ recorded)
Little Maggie ([traditional] cover)
Gallows Pole ([traditional] cover that LZ recorded)
Funny In My Mind (I Believe I'm Fixin' to Die)

Encore:

In the Mood
Ramble On (Led Zeppelin song)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 1, 2019 12:52

mosthigh
Playing the warhorses ensures The Stones remain rock s biggest living tourist attraction.

That's about the size of it.

..Whether we around here like it or not .

Date: August 1, 2019 13:41

buttons67
with most bands, some big hits are not always the best songs, sometimes some best songs are never big hits, its the same with the stones.

jj flash
brown sugar
gimme shelter
midnight rambler
street fighting man
paint it black

those are some of the best songs and big hits, and obvious warhorses.

but other big hits like

its only rock and roll
miss you
tumbling dice
are not anywhere near the best songs, they are big hits cos the stones told us they were by playing them to death, same with you got me rocking, a basic below par song becomes a semi warhorse only because the band played it so often
there is no direct relation between any bands big hits and their greatest songs.

jigsaw puzzle
slave
citadel
2120 south michigan avenue
winter
wild horses
moonlight mile
rocks off
loving cup
time waits for no one

are some of the greatest stones songs ever, but few are big hits or warhorses.

the band themselves have shaped opinion as to what some perceive as to be a big hit regardless of whether its a great song or not.

SFM has never been a warhorse, and it took a long time before PIB and MR became that.

Date: August 1, 2019 16:05

"Street Fighting Man" was up until early on in the '78 tour when they dropped it.

Date: August 1, 2019 16:08

J.J.Flash

The Rolling Stones perhaps???

Obviously,you didn't see the crowds full on the 'No Security Tour' and people still went the next time to make full crowds.

Or,this ...... * [iorr.org] * .

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 1, 2019 16:12

Winning Ugly VXII
J.J.Flash

Obviously,you didn't see the crowds full on the 'No Security Tour' and people still went the next time to make full crowds.

Those are NOT good examples.

For all the rarities they sprinkled in, they still nailed ALMOST every big hit that they're playing these days.

Skipping Satisfaction for one tour while still playing every other warhorse barely counts.

Date: August 1, 2019 16:23

keefriff99
Winning Ugly VXII
J.J.Flash

Those are NOT good examples.For all the rarities they sprinkled in, they still nailed ALMOST every big hit that they're playing these days.

Skipping Satisfaction for one tour while still playing every other warhorse barely counts.

They are perfect examples.

I am pretty sure that I posted this before.

They didn't just skip "Satisfaction" on the 'No Security Tour'.

They rested "Satisfaction" AND "You Can't Always Get What You Want" AND "Happy" AND "Miss You" at EVERY SHOW.

Even "Tumbling Dice" was rested at a couple of early '99 concerts.

"Gimme Shelter" was rotated in less than 50% of the time ..... usually rotating with "Respectable".

"Before They Make Me Run" even was rotating with "You Don't Have To Mean It".

As for the 2002 / 2003 Tour in general,"Miss You" was only performed FOUR times out of 110 + concerts.

My example of Oakland 2002 had at least FIVE or more rare live songs with no "Miss You", no "Gimme Shelter",no "You Can't always Get What You Want",no Richards lead vocal warhorses.

Those are just the facts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 16:27 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Date: August 1, 2019 16:33

Including rarities in the set isn't going to make casual fans stay away, but not playing ANY hits will...that was the original point being made.

Skipping one or two hits while still playing 8-9 is not a big deal. No Satisfaction or Miss You? You still got Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Sympathy For the Devil, Paint It Black, Start Me Up, It's Only Rock'n'Roll, and Midnight Rambler.

Date: August 1, 2019 16:50

I don't know. People seem to be insinuating that all of these warhorses need to be performed every night or attendance will suffer.

I haven't noticed anyone saying that they should drop all of the warhorses at once in large venues.

The "No Security Tour" proved that AT LEAST 3 warhorses can be (or could be) given a break all at the same time for an entire tour. And people still returned.

3 is a very conservative number when you consider "Gimme Shelter" being rotated with "Respectable" and out of the set list more than half of the time. And a couple of shows WITHOUT "Tumbling Dice" on top of the others being rested. And then the Richards songs.

Most shows the number was larger than just the 3. Sometimes as high as 6 but,usually 4 or 5.

And back then,"Midnight Rambler" was not a warhorse yet,by far.

Date: August 1, 2019 17:30

Winning Ugly VXII
I don't know. People seem to be insinuating that all of these warhorses need to be performed every night or attendance will suffer.

I haven't noticed anyone saying that they should drop all of the warhorses at once in large venues.

The "No Security Tour" proved that AT LEAST 3 warhorses can be (or could be) given a break all at the same time for an entire tour. And people still returned.

3 is a very conservative number when you consider "Gimme Shelter" being rotated with "Respectable" and out of the set list more than half of the time. And a couple of shows WITHOUT "Tumbling Dice" on top of the others being rested. And then the Richards songs.

Most shows the number was larger than just the 3. Sometimes as high as 6 but,usually 4 or 5.

Also keep in mind the Stones were in the middle of a massively successful world tour...No Security was essentially year three of the B2B tour. Changing it up in arenas (which they hadn't played in two decades) was a smart play.

For the Licks tour, the setlists were considerably more adventurous in theaters and arenas than in stadiums. The bigger the crowds, the more casual fans there are, and the more hits they're expecting.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 1, 2019 17:45

keefriff99
Winning Ugly VXII

Also keep in mind the Stones were in the middle of a massively successful world tour...No Security was essentially year three of the B2B tour. Changing it up in arenas (which they hadn't played in two decades) was a smart play.

For the Licks tour, the setlists were considerably more adventurous in theaters and arenas than in stadiums. The bigger the crowds, the more casual fans there are, and the more hits they're expecting.

Yeah. But also shows like Leipzig 03 were possible 1,5 decades ago. A rather obscure setlist (If You Can't Rock Me, Mannish Boy, Rock Me Baby w/ the Young brothers, Thru And Thru, no Rambler, no Miss You), in front of 65.000 people. But: the audience went mad nevertheless, although it was not really a Vegas show with almost only hits and standards. Although the event didn't even took place in a great stadium, but on a emotionless field. - But towards the end of the 03 tour setlists became more and more embarrassing (Werchter, Spain, Zurich) - just like most shows 2016 onwards. (On other hand Werchter 07 had an unbelievable setlist, by the way.) Maybe they should rather quit touring than keep on destroying their legend.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-01 18:02 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1586
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home