Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
People go crazy when the warhorses start
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 31, 2019 02:00

Can you believe it? At Valle Hovin, Oslo, in 1989 reportedly corporate people danced so their suit jackets fluttered. I thought nostalgia could be worn out. How can you ever win?

Re: People go crazy when the warhorses start
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2019 02:08

Well that just goes to prove that the old saying …

All corporate people have undergone personality bypass operations in not entirely true …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 31, 2019 03:46

noughties
Can you believe it? At Valle Hovin, Oslo, in 1989 reportedly corporate people danced so their suit jackets fluttered. I thought nostalgia could be worn out. How can you ever win?

The biggest hits are still ... THE BIGGEST HITS!!!

Bjornulf

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 31, 2019 04:06

Show me a band that doesn't play their biggest hits and I'll show you a half empty crowd.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 31, 2019 05:23

J.J.Flash
Show me a band that doesn't play their biggest hits and I'll show you a half empty crowd.

Robert Plant. He just resist to doing Led Zep hits, he is doing his own stuff. I do admire him for that.

Bjornulf

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 31, 2019 05:41

I know he played at least one Led Zep hit in an encore recently--"Whole Lotta Love."

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 31, 2019 05:47

Rockman
Well that just goes to prove that the old saying …

All corporate people have undergone personality bypass operations in not entirely true …..

smiling smileyRockee, the Stones need to come down to see you soon.smiling smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 31, 2019 05:48

We all go to bed.

Date: July 31, 2019 06:43

Rockee, the Stones need to come down to see you soon …...

I reckon they will …. Yeah I'm convinced they will

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 31, 2019 09:40

J.J.Flash

the answer is (like so often): Dylan

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 31, 2019 09:46

bv
J.J.Flash

Robert Plant. He just resist to doing Led Zep hits, he is doing his own stuff. I do admire him for that.

Well, to be fair (and I'm a huge Plant fan), often half his show is Zeppelin material. He's done Whole Lotta Love nearly every time I've seen him, which is many times. His own stuff too, of course.

But I love the warhorses. They're what made me love the band/artist in the first place.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 31, 2019 09:54

Pretty sure Springsteen mixes it up often. While I understand both sides of opinion I prefer a few rarities mixed in.

Date: July 31, 2019 10:51

slewan
J.J.Flash

He plays Blowing In The Wind every night...

Date: July 31, 2019 11:28

DandelionPowderman
slewan
J.J.Flash

I know, but in a version that lots of casual fans don't recognize. Beside that he didn't play LARS for some 5 years, the last live performance of Knocken' On Heaven's Door dates back to 2003, Forever Young was in the set for the lastin 2011 etc etc
And not to mention the years when he did 5-7 Sinatra songs every night…

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 31, 2019 12:27

J.J.Flash

Neil Young.....5 'hits' (fairly famous) out of 25 songs?........

Almost typical of his ever varying setlists but most notable for me as he opened with a 27 minute version of 'Like an Inca'....not played since 1982....................Amazing example of artistic integrity and not just 'Playing to the gallery'.........

Neil Young & Promise of the Real
Fox Theatre - Pomona, CA.

Setlist
1. Like A Inca
2. @#$%& Up
3. When You Dance I Can Really Love
4. The Loner
5. Cinnamon Girl
6. Cortez The Killer
7. Human Highway
8. From Hank To Hendrix
9. Peace Of Mind
10. I Am A Child
11. Show Me
12. Neighborhood
13. Words
14. If I Could Her Tonight
15. Walk On
16. Texas Rangers
17. Powderfunger
18. Cowgirl In The Sand
19. Seed Justice
20. Peace Trail
21. I've Been Waiting For You
22. Hey, Hey, My, My
23. Encore Break
24. Roll Another Number
25. Piece Of Crap

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-31 12:29 by EddieByword.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 31, 2019 13:39

DandelionPowderman
slewan
J.J.Flash

he probably plays a lot of other "hits" too.....but, he's so drunk and mumbly on stage nobody knows what the __ he's singing.

Date: July 31, 2019 13:41

stickyfingers101
DandelionPowderman
slewan
J.J.Flash

he probably plays a lot of other "hits" too.....but, he's so drunk and mumbly on stage nobody knows what the __ he's singing.

It's called "artistic choice" grinning smiley

Date: July 31, 2019 13:45

EddieByword
J.J.Flash

Almost typical of his ever varying setlists but most notable for me as he opened with a 27 minute version of 'Like an Inca'....not played since 1982....................Amazing example of artistic integrity and not just 'Playing to the gallery'.........

Setlist
1. Like A Inca
2. @#$%& Up
4. The Loner
5. Cinnamon Girl
6. Cortez The Killer
7. Human Highway
8. From Hank To Hendrix
9. Peace Of Mind
10. I Am A Child
11. Show Me
12. Neighborhood
13. Words
15. Walk On
16. Texas Rangers
17. Powderfunger
18. Cowgirl In The Sand
19. Seed Justice
20. Peace Trail
22. Hey, Hey, My, My
23. Encore Break
24. Roll Another Number
25. Piece Of Crap

I'd say 10-11 of these are "fairly famous"

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 17, 18, 22, 24...

I mean...I know these songs and I'm not a big NY fan.

however, I did see him live and he played his entire new album....finished w/ the only "hit" which was "Rockin' in the Free World"

it was a cool experience, but there is something to be said for the "hits"...it's hard(er) to get overly pumped up for songs you simply don't know and have never heard.

I can't remember the name of the album I refer to - it was around 2005 and it was "OK" at best.

Date: July 31, 2019 13:48

Pearl Jam changes their setlist every night.

But, yes, there is always "hits" mixed in and that's when the entire crowd goes the most nuts ("Even Flow" "Alive").

IMO, they used to be more "creative" in this regard and Pearl Jam has gotten more "dialed-in" on their recent tours/shows

they still give you your money's worth, though...100%

Date: July 31, 2019 13:49

DandelionPowderman
stickyfingers101
DandelionPowderman
slewan
J.J.Flash

It's called "artistic choice" grinning smiley

haha!

good one.

Date: July 31, 2019 14:16

stickyfingers101
DandelionPowderman
slewan
J.J.Flash

you haven't seen him during the last few years, have you?

Date: July 31, 2019 15:05

No but if you see him say hello....
Oh no forget it … he might be in Tangier

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 31, 2019 15:25

Yes they do. The Stones are not any avantgarde act, but a bunch of entertainers who really want to "have a good time". Since they got it going on, from the educational times of Richmond, they have wanted to interact with their audience, to make their asses move. I think that's the mutual joy between the band and the audience in a Rolling Stones concert, and they do know nothing else. That's what they are as live performers - not making any artistic statements but a party. It was usually Bo Diddley numbers in the early days they managed best in doing that, to make their audiences go wild. And when they got more famous, it was their own hits working best. What's happening now, AD 2019, is like a Darwinian selective process. They do the songs they know work best. We call those winners 'war horses'.

I hear some people sometimes saying that they must be tired of playing the old same, old same all the time. I don't think so. Some of us might be tired in listening those, but the Stones are not passive listeners, but active creators for whom judging the performance and a show derives from something else than from an arm-chair critical perspective. I think they just love performing and the better the song 'works' by their standard the better they feel. Like they have said, a lot of energy derives from the audience, from the interaction, the feedback. One can only imagine what Keith feels like when he hits the first chords or riffs of, say, "Satisfaction" or "Jumping Jack Flash" or "Brown Sugar" or "Tumbling Dice" or "Start Me Up" or "Gimme Shelter" or "Honky Tonk Women" knowing from the experience what the reaction will 100% be. People will go nuts. To have winners like that in your back pocket, all home-made, must be a thrill.

For people like Neil Young and Bob Dylan performing might be something else, and they have educated audiences to know that (who know what they will get and are actually seeking for that), but they've been more artistic-minded straight from the beginning. They love the expressive aspect of a performance - them letting their inner, subjective ambitions and forces to fly freely. The audience is a silent 'other' just to enjoy (or not) the results (in the case of Dylan, he seems to give an impression that he doesn't give a damn what the people think oor how they react - which is a part of his unique charm). But for me it is like apples and oranges - going to a Stones show or a Dylan show (both my biggest stars ever) is a different animal altogether. They function differently. Both great if you ask me - Dylan creates an unique masterpiece in the front of your eyes every night, and The Stones, well, they give a helluva rock and roll show and party to remind what this kind of music fundamentally is all about. Better than anyone else.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-31 15:36 by Doxa.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 31, 2019 15:37

J.J.Flash

U2? They don't play many of their biggest hits these days. They play many (actually rather weak IMHO) new songs. Nevertheless all shows are sold out. For instance Berlin had seven (!) U2 shows within three year's time recently. The last album was by far the worst they ever made, but at least they are no embarrassing Vegas act - until now.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 31, 2019 21:03

Yeah, I forgot about U2. The recent stage/show was amazing, and the music was good too. Though I don't like the last 2 records very much.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 31, 2019 21:30

EddieByword
J.J.Flash

Setlist
1. Like A Inca
2. @#$%& Up
4. The Loner
5. Cinnamon Girl
6. Cortez The Killer
7. Human Highway
8. From Hank To Hendrix
9. Peace Of Mind
10. I Am A Child
11. Show Me
12. Neighborhood
13. Words
15. Walk On
16. Texas Rangers
17. Powderfunger
18. Cowgirl In The Sand
19. Seed Justice
20. Peace Trail
22. Hey, Hey, My, My
23. Encore Break
24. Roll Another Number
25. Piece Of Crap

Fantastic - I was at this show (and the second night also) in between Desert Trip weekends, and am standing just to the left of this guy who filmed this clip.

Neil Young & POTR - "Like An Inca", Live @ The Fox Theatre, Pomona CA 10/12/2016

Took a few decent pics myself including this one:

One of the more memorable Neil shows I've ever been to, and there's been quite a few thanks to his ever-changing setlists - you never quite know what will be played.
At these Pomona and Desert Trip shows, he had a massive 3 x 4 foot (apprx) handwritten setlist filled with hundreds of songs to choose from - at one point showing it to the crowd and randomly pointing at a song without looking - sure enough they played it!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 31, 2019 21:59

The Stones could cut out half the warhorse crap, replace them with other Stones songs, and no one would notice. The audience would still know those 'new' songs. They could play a lesser known song, and then throw the audience a bone with a warhorse. For god's sake, get rid of Sympathy, It's Only Rock and Roll, Tumbling Dice for a couple tours.

Mick Jagger is so timid. He went from the band that didn't do encores, to meekly announcing songs before they're played. THE AUDIENCE KNOWS THESE SONGS. They don't need to be told.

As for the band getting a charge out of playing them, I guess. It's not like they're playing jazz, and improve each time to create something new. They always sound the same, so I don't know where the creativity comes in.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 31, 2019 22:20

Great post, Doxa! So this is what we are left with, a Bo Diddley for our times. They want to party. They`ve always wanted to party, at least since 1972. Then there is the aristic view. Well, Mick has always been the businessman. -Keith with all the credibility intact and the street-wise view. Ronnie is the party animal and Charlie the quiet one. You can`t expect any artistic view from that. -But they could if they wanted to! There`s a whole lot of self penned stuff to choose from.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: July 31, 2019 22:36

stickyfingers101
DandelionPowderman
slewan
J.J.Flash

Over the last 30 years I have seen Dylan in concert about 150 times. He was never drunk and he never "mumbled".

Date: July 31, 2019 23:06

bv
J.J.Flash

True...probably a factor in the venues only holding about 2500-3000 folks the last two times I've seen him. Great shows musically.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home