Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Half way on the tour - Are you still sitting on the fence?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 30, 2019 20:30

From an environmental viewpoint it would of course be wrong to go to any concerts except the one close, or closest, to your home. But I guess that is not taken into consideration
by hardcore fans. To be fair the multiple concert attenders are not too many though. Often the wallet (or the amount of free time) puts an end to that.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 30, 2019 20:57

Foxboro was show #38 for me - and I've seen Honky Tonk Women at EVERY show, and it's usually a bit of a yawner for me - but damn, if it wasn't one of the best songs of the night! Crowd back in Gen Adm was going bonkers. So yeah - those warhorses can surprise you.
No longer 'Sitting on a Fence' about seeing one more- I just booked Phoenix!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-30 20:58 by DEmerson.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 30, 2019 21:38

bv
The Rolling Stones just finished show number 9 of 17 of their No Filter US 2019 Tour in Houston. They are just over half way on their tour. If you are still sitting on the fence, and wonder if you should stay at home, or go, just go! They are still great. Powerful and great! If you are just a driving distance away from one of the remaining shows, just go!

What is going on Bjornulf, are venues not sold out? I was there for the first 2 shows in Chicago, but seemed pretty packed. This looks like an advertisement. Sorry but can’t come back to the USA...... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 30, 2019 21:41

DEmerson
Foxboro was show #38 for me - and I've seen Honky Tonk Women at EVERY show, and it's usually a bit of a yawner for me - but damn, if it wasn't one of the best songs of the night! Crowd back in Gen Adm was going bonkers. So yeah - those warhorses can surprise you.
No longer 'Sitting on a Fence' about seeing one more- I just booked Phoenix!

Agreed. Miss You and YCAGWYW really blew me away also....thumbs up

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: July 30, 2019 21:52

HTW was amazing in Philly. Typically it's not my favourite song live but it was hot! Keith really shone on that one!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 30, 2019 23:49

I used to be tired of It's Only Rock 'N Roll having seen it so many times, but at Chicago #2 it was almost like seeing it for the first time.
Might have been the euphoria of seeing the Stones for the first time since '16, but it sounded very fresh and raunchy, and I liked it, liked it, yes I did.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 31, 2019 00:30

Christiaan
bv
The Rolling Stones just finished show number 9 of 17 of their No Filter US 2019 Tour in Houston. They are just over half way on their tour. If you are still sitting on the fence, and wonder if you should stay at home, or go, just go! They are still great. Powerful and great! If you are just a driving distance away from one of the remaining shows, just go!

What is going on Bjornulf, are venues not sold out? I was there for the first 2 shows in Chicago, but seemed pretty packed. This looks like an advertisement. Sorry but can’t come back to the USA...... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I don't work for the Stones. I work for the fans. It would be a shame if you live half an hour by the bus or car from the show in New Jersey and youy don't go to the shows Aug 1 and/or Aug 5, because you don't think they have "got it" anymore!

All I am saying is this: They have "got it" still. I am just giving a friendly advice to those who live near the show, but they think they are too old or too tired or too busy with a TV program or with filling out a crossword puzzle. Just go if you can. That is all I am saying. Because I have seen them. They are great. I hope it is still legal to say The Stones are great, without being accused for being paid to say it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: July 31, 2019 00:49

Bjornulf is right. If you have the opportunity, go see them if you can, even if you have a cheap ticket. The experience and memories will last a lifetime. I had the privilege of seeing both Chi shows & Burl's Creek. I do not regret it for a second.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 31, 2019 00:50

When your co workers know that you took a Friday off to go see the Stones, EVERYONE, regardless of age, wants to hear about the show. I see a lot of concerts, and the only band that draws a ton of attention is the Rolling Stones.
Can't wait for the 2022 US tour!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 31, 2019 02:16

downagain
HTW was amazing in Philly. Typically it's not my favourite song live but it was hot! Keith really shone on that one!

HTW IS ALWAYS HOT!!!

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: July 31, 2019 02:46

My two cents... I think this is the last time they tour in the U.S. If they continue, they'll do Europe/UK, South America maybe, Asia maybe, but it may be a while before the U.S. cycles back around for them. We all know how old they are. Like my 95 year old dad, they are playing with the house's money at this point.

Of course, I've said this is the last time since about 1999, but based on what I'm seeing, it's very hard for me to imagine the guys putting on another large scale tour in 2022.

So I'm going. I splurged for 1 pit ticket and I snagged LDs for another show. I went to my first Rolling Stones show in 1969. I've never imagined that I'd see them 50 years later, but here we are.

Whether you go is a personal decision. Most seats are pretty expensive, even if you're half a football field away, so I get it if you choose to pass. But for me, seeing them 50 years after my first show is unmissable.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 31, 2019 03:15

Sorry. They lost the zing somewhere in the early 2000s. They should have quit after Steel Wheels. They didn't, so at least we got the No Security Tour. Then they should really have packed it in. I last went in 2013, and wished I didn't. Except for Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler. There's not enough variety. They're way overexposed. But God Bless You if your ears still give you the same old thrill they used to give mine. I don't get it. Hearing the same old same old over and over and over. But if it gets your Rocks Off (which they rarely play) more power to you. Fork over hundreds of dollars to see what you've already seen and heard, from a better version of the band.

I'm assuming that people are celebrating that after seven years on the road, Keith has finally approached a semblance of what he once was. Fantastic. Thank god they have DVDs that show the truth.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: July 31, 2019 03:31

24FPS
Sorry. They lost the zing somewhere in the early 2000s. They should have quit after Steel Wheels. They didn't, so at least we got the No Security Tour. Then they should really have packed it in. I last went in 2013, and wished I didn't. Except for Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler. There's not enough variety. They're way overexposed. But God Bless You if your ears still give you the same old thrill they used to give mine. I don't get it. Hearing the same old same old over and over and over. But if it gets your Rocks Off (which they rarely play) more power to you. Fork over hundreds of dollars to see what you've already seen and heard, from a better version of the band.

I'm assuming that people are celebrating that after seven years on the road, Keith has finally approached a semblance of what he once was. Fantastic. Thank god they have DVDs that show the truth.

I felt the same way after 2006. I do miss seeing them and am seriously thinking about going again. Maybe a reasonably priced isle seat and we'll see what happens. For you to see Mick Taylor in '13 was something I wish I didn't miss.

Date: July 31, 2019 03:39

Stoneage
From an environmental viewpoint it would of course be wrong to go to any concerts except the one close, or closest, to your home. But I guess that is not taken into consideration
by hardcore fans. To be fair the multiple concert attenders are not too many though. Often the wallet (or the amount of free time) puts an end to that.

I would not worry about climate changes or environmental issues when it comes to going to Rolling Stones shows. They come to Houston (or any other place on this planet) may be every 5-10 years. At the same time, millions of people fill up the 10-15 lanes on the highways passing by Houston Downtown (or any other city) every single day of the year, and when they get bored, they fly to Las Vegas, Cancun or other holiday places, every year, I would not know where people go. Go see THE ROLLING STONES now, they are no worry when it comes to climate changes. In 5-10 years from now the Stones will be a great memory, while climate changes is a far far far far bigger issue.

Bjornulf

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: July 31, 2019 08:02

I'm going to my show 17 &,,18 following NJ. Sure came fast.I know it will be fabulous as they say in England.On a sad note Seattle show will be my last as this is last US tour. Not sure about Canada.They will be in my memory forever more.

Date: July 31, 2019 10:49

<as this is last US tour>

Not according to georgelicks...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 31, 2019 11:16

I have seen them every tour since 1975 but I will be sitting this one out. They
will always be my all time favorite band but I have heard the set list one too many times.A new album to tour on would have been nice, but that is my opinion.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 31, 2019 13:27

Stoneage

From an environmental standpoint, eating a cheeseburger and walking to the show does far more damage than driving 200 miles to the show and eating a veggie burger.

....just sayin'....

but, to your point....just as soon as the Leo DiCrapio's and Jeff Bezos et. al of the world give up their private jets, multiple mega-mansions and super-yachts, I'll start worrying about my 2 economy-class flights every couple of years to see the Stones....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2019 15:14

Must be a tough Veggie Burger if it takes 200 miles to eat …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: July 31, 2019 15:21

bv
Christiaan

I don't work for the Stones. I work for the fans. It would be a shame if you live half an hour by the bus or car from the show in New Jersey and youy don't go to the shows Aug 1 and/or Aug 5, because you don't think they have "got it" anymore!

I know that you WORK for the fans and I do appreciate it very much! But still it does look like an advertising. That ok with me! I would take your advice if I lived an hour or even 4 or 6 hours away if I was living in the US, but for me a Dutchman, it is to expensive to travel again to the US for this tour.
Reading in between your lines...... Go you people of NY/NJ !!!! This is the .... chance.

It was not to be offensive to you Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-31 15:23 by Christiaan.

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: July 31, 2019 16:54

Completely agree!
See 'em while you still can, shows getting better all the time!
Just finished my 2nd trip to the US this tour and counting down to the 3rd one in a few weeks.

Splendid review of the Houston show by Cory Garcia if you aren't convinced:

The Rolling Stones are human like the rest of us, but it's hard not to see them as some of the fundamental archetypes of rock and roll. Mick Jagger is the handsome, charming, engaging frontman; Keith Richards is the wild creative who has lived more lives in one life that most of us can imagine; Charlie Watts is the quiet one, the humble one, the guy who does his job in the background and is pleasantly surprised when people cheer for him; and then there's Ronnie Woods, the showman and class clown. You've likely seen one or more of these archetypes in every concert you've ever attended, but the ones that took the stage at NRG are the real deal.

It's a lot to process rationally or objectively. This is a show that ended with the following run of songs: "Paint It Black"; "Start Me Up"; "Brown Sugar"; "Gimme Shelter"; and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction." If a band had written literally any one of those songs, they could have lived the rest of their life in pure comfort based on the royalties from it alone, not to mention continued concert tours. The Rolling Stones wrote all of them. They still play all of them splendidly. "Gimme Shelter" is the type of song that should give anyone hearing it in person chills.

But what sells the performance is not just the fact that these are some of the best-written songs of all time or that all the people performing them are talented musicians; it's the authenticity that they bring to the table. However big of hams you might think Jagger and company to be, there never feels for a moment like they're trying too hard, even when they probably are trying too hard. When Keith Richards looks down at his guitar in either pain or wonder, it feels like the most natural thing in the world and not the product of growing up watching music videos on MTV. When Watts cracks the rare smile to show he's thinking, "oh, this is pretty neat what we're doing," it really feels like he's discovering it for the first time. When Mick Jagger moves like Jagger, you realize the absurdity of anyone else trying to do so.

It's amazing how they make the whole thing look so simple to the point of almost being mundane like it's just another Saturday night for them. But watching it, you know deep down that every single show The Rolling Stones perform at this point is special, because we have no idea if this is going to be their last trip around the globe or not.

There is a playbook that most rock bands follow live. If you were asked to describe what going to the average rock show is like, you could probably do a pretty good job laying out everything that's going to happen. The hot opener; the band introductions; someone getting a solo; the acoustic break; the deep cut/bathroom break song; the singer leading the crowd in a call and response; an extended jam on a well-loved song; the fake goodbye before the encore. Adherence to this playbook swallows some bands alive; because they're slaves to the formula, their show becomes an uninteresting slog, like watching a bad cosplayer trying to redo a famous movie on Youtube.

But The Rolling Stones helped write the playbook, and they run every play in it like a well-oiled machine. It's almost like seeing a miracle in real life. One hundred years from now people will still be discovering The Rolling Stones and wondering how one group could write so many good songs. "Were they really real?" they'll wonder. And the shame is we won't be there to tell them, "yes, they were real, and they were glorious."

Hendrik

Date: July 31, 2019 17:15

First show was Houston . I have Denver and Miami left to go to.

Houston was great.

The war horses were great. Miss You was great ( I have to admit)

Honky Tonk Women was fantastic.

The crowd was great.

Get off the fence....its creasing your butt.....life is a party so get out and strut.

They are as good as ever.

They leave no doubt why they are still filling stadiums 55 years later.

Many people do go to just say they saw them.

But when they leave they are blown away.

I hit the restroom real quick right at the end if the acoustic set. There was

a guy in there looked to be mid 40's. It was his first time. He looked over at

me and said....wow these guys are good...it was like he was surprised.

I just told him to buckle in....it only gets better from here.

And it did

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-31 20:50 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 31, 2019 17:39

Great write up Henrik!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2019 17:47

Last NA stadium tour, which, of course, we don't know if that's really true but it's extremely likely. Maybe in 2022 they'll do their last NA arena tour, which will be their last NA tour ever.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: August 1, 2019 00:22

Hairball
One show is never enough for just about any band I go to see, but the Stones take it to another level. There's way more to it than just the performance and setlists.
Every second is a thrill, from the moment of the announcement to the final fireworks of each show, not to mention the traveling and seeing friends who are in the same boat, etc., etc., etc.
Would feel a bit shortchanged if I could only see one, and will be seeing four in total this tour. A far cry from the Licks tour when I attended 27 in total in the US and Europe, but that was a different animal that included stadiums, arenas, and theaters/clubs, and each one that I saw had something special about it. Not all were top level performance/setlist wise, but all were memorable for a variety of reasons - including traveling, friends, etc.
One down for this tour, and three more to go, and I'm counting the days until the next one happens while living in the moment of a North American Stones tour from start to finish.
It's not every day you can say the Stones are on tour, and there will come a time when you won't be able to say it at all. Keep on rolling............thumbs up

A more succinct embodiment of "fandom" than this would be hard to come by!

I suppose it really comes down, for all of us, to what we want out of a live musical experience. Concerts are almost by definition always composed of many of the extra-musical elements cited above. Many of them may arguably fall into the category of "nostagia" ... but even if they do ... who really cares? To each his own ...

It would never occur to me to go see multiple shows by ANYONE in a short period of time. I suppose there are bands I'd LIKE to see all the time -- The Necks today, Keith Jarrett and the Grateful Dead back in the day -- but who has that kind of spare change or spare time? In the brief moments I can allow myself to pay hard cash for a ticket, get my ass across town and into a seat, and spend a cpl of precious hours away from the 2-year-old and 5-year-old sons that ordinarily use me as a jungle gym ... well, I DEMAND of those experiences musicians who are going to test me, test themselves, push their music into uncomfortable territories and maybe, just maybe, achieve some sense of transcendence ... in a musical sense. I can be entertained by a serial dramedy on Netflix ... from music--the most exalted of the arts--I need more. Just don't have the time to spare for anything less.

But the hordes of Stones fans who still flock to shows around the world are a living testament to the fact that my way is only one way to experience live music!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 1, 2019 03:39

@ LazarusSmith - let's just say I was in a very positive mood when I wrote the above.winking smiley
Under normal circumstances, I'm maybe a bit overly critical and skeptical, and am able to keep any joy and positive vibes buried within. ha
But I do believe this current tour is bringing out the very best in me (I actually feel giddy at times), and I stand by every word!

GO STONES!!! smileys with beer

Date: August 1, 2019 04:28

Songs still on the table: Harlem Shuffle, Live with Me, at some point Like a Rolling Stone will be played. Respectable makes a lot of song votes but never gets played. I wonder if there will be any surprises on the West Coast setlist wise.

Date: August 1, 2019 04:46

They rehearsed "Hand Of Fate", "Emotional Rescue", Mixed Emotions", "Harlem Shuffle" and "Mercy Mercy" several times, so we will see if any of these will show up in NYC/NJ during the two shows here.

Bjornulf

Date: August 1, 2019 05:08

Harlem Shuffle obviously makes sense for the next two shows. Emotional Rescue has also been in a few song votes so will get played at some point. Hand of Fate is an interesting one. Probably won't ever win a song vote but would be nice in the #4 song spot as a surprise.

Date: August 1, 2019 05:09

Mixed Emotions in #4 song spot in Miami to close the tour.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2088
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home