Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
The perfect book about the Stones that wont ever be written (supposition...)
Date: July 25, 2019 14:01

A stones memories by Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman, hand in hand. That would be the most close to truth account about the band. It would not be a complete story at all, but a reasonably sincere one.

Do you agree?

Re: The perfect book about the Stones that wont ever be written (supposition...)
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 25, 2019 14:15

Well, well... in the nineties Charlie Watts said: "I hope we don't end up writing our memoires." By now he and Mick Jagger are the only Stones who did not publish a book on their lives. Bill Wyman writes and talks a lot about his life, Charlie Watts seems to be more discrete. Keith Richards published an incredible amount of rubbish in his embarrassing "Life". So I am not sure if we need another book.

Re: The perfect book about the Stones that wont ever be written (supposition...)
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: July 25, 2019 14:34

windmelody
Well, well... in the nineties Charlie Watts said: "I hope we don't end up writing our memoires." By now he and Mick Jagger are the only Stones who did not publish a book on their lives. Bill Wyman writes and talks a lot about his life, Charlie Watts seems to be more discrete. Keith Richards published an incredible amount of rubbish in his embarrassing "Life". So I am not sure if we need another book.

Rubbish ?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 25, 2019 15:02

steffiestones
windmelody

Rubbish ?
Yes - apart from his remarks about Jagger he says that he gets mad when somebody eats an onion in his kitchen. He does not want people to bust the crust of his pie - this is idiotic behavior. Richards writes about Wood's drinking problems in a way which is not very nice. And the bla bla about "showing the blade" is silly too. I like Richards'guitar playing, but the book was disappointing.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: July 25, 2019 15:06

windmelody
As Wyman says,not half of it is true
steffiestones
windmelody

Rubbish ?
Yes - apart from his remarks about Jagger he says that he gets mad when somebody eats an onion in his kitchen. He does not want people to bust the crust of his pie - this is idiotic behavior. Richards writes about Wood's drinking problems in a way which is not very nice. And the bla bla about "showing the blade" is silly too. I like Richards'guitar playing, but the book was disappointing.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 25, 2019 15:19

Need a Mick Taylor book.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 25, 2019 17:38

I don't think Charlie would ever write a book about his time in the Stones.

He seems to have spent most of his life in a state of bemused embarrassment about making such a good living playing the drums for a pop group. grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 25, 2019 19:34

The Rolling Stones history is so infused with myth that we'll never get a clear look at them. Bill's books appear to be the best, though even he holds back about certain things. And, Bill didn't hang around for a lot of the nonsense. Besides, most of the interesting stuff happened in the Golden Era, 1962-1990. More than half of their existence is as a greatest hits band, with journeymen side musicians that could be replaced without notice.

I guess Anita didn't leave behind a manuscript. That would have been a real insider's look.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 25, 2019 19:57

Another real insiders book would have been one by Ian Stewart and/or Alan Dunn (Road and Tour Manager, 40 years).

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 25, 2019 20:27

24FPS

I guess Anita didn't leave behind a manuscript. That would have been a real insider's look.

She did and Marlon has said he'll release it once certain people have passed away.

eye popping smiley

Date: July 25, 2019 20:28

TravelinMan
Need a Mick Taylor book.

That would be dull. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 25, 2019 21:11

bill wrote one memoir already..

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 25, 2019 21:39

His Majesty
24FPS

She did and Marlon has said he'll release it once certain people have passed away.

eye popping smiley

'Certain people'....Mick? Keith?
Can understand the logic up to a point, but any interest (ie sales) will wane the longer it is left.

Date: July 25, 2019 22:02

jlowe

'Certain people'....Mick? Keith?
Can understand the logic up to a point, but any interest (ie sales) will wane the longer it is left.

He didn't say who. I'm sure he's not concerned about sales, but interest will be there for a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-29 08:10 by His Majesty.

Date: July 25, 2019 22:13

His Majesty
24FPS

eye popping smiley

Didn't Keith pay for her appartement and her living? Whould be sincere not to give an insiders look, that would have been kiss and tell. Marlon prob waits till keith has gone, and even then.. I don't see the point.He prob won't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-25 23:23 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 26, 2019 01:33

Is there anything left to tell? Bio’s are all BS anyways.
Just give us a new album

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 26, 2019 01:38

Just give us a new album …..

YES cant argue with that...… give us a new studio album ….

ROCKMAN

Date: July 26, 2019 04:35

His Majesty
TravelinMan
Need a Mick Taylor book.

That would be dull. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yes, because joining the WORLD’S GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND AT 20 makes for a dull story.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 26, 2019 04:48

Perfect book about the Stones that wont ever be written ...

It would be authored by me. It'd be about the small private club show they performed for my friends and me...
Hanging out with them at the bar ...

Date: July 26, 2019 08:51

His Majesty
24FPS

eye popping smiley

Unfortunately that will include many of us. It's all right. I get the idea. All I give a crap about now is any unreleased music from the Golden Era, the first 30 years.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 26, 2019 12:06

I've always believed Marlon Richards could provide a great book.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: July 26, 2019 12:32

TravelinMan

Yes, because joining the WORLD’S GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND AT 20 makes for a dull story.

Yes. It's not the band, it's the person who joined that would make it a dull read.

Woke up, played guitar solos all day and night, went to bed. grinning smiley

Date: July 26, 2019 14:09

His Majesty
TravelinMan

Yes. It's not the band, it's the person who joined that would make it a dull read.

I would love to read your book about the Rolling Stones. I am the first one to buy it. Chapter One: The Rolling Stones. Chapter Two: The Rolling Stones minus Brian Jones. Chapter Three: The Rolling Stones minus Brian Jones. grinning smiley

Date: July 26, 2019 16:18

TheflyingDutchman

I would love to read your book about the Rolling Stones. I am the first one to buy it. Chapter One: The Rolling Stones. Chapter Two: The Rolling Stones minus Brian Jones. Chapter Three: The Rolling Stones minus Brian Jones. grinning smiley

My book would be quite ridiculously obsessive...

"You must be the expert. I was merely attempting assist from another location without listening or going through this sorta bullshit. You remind of your subject matter. Anal ..."

- Andrew Loog Oldham 2019.

grinning smiley

It would of course only cover up to 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-26 16:20 by His Majesty.

Date: July 26, 2019 16:27

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-26 17:08 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: July 26, 2019 17:08

TheflyingDutchman
His Majesty
TheflyingDutchman

My book would be quite ridiculously obsessive...

"You must be the expert. I was merely attempting assist from another location without listening or going through this sorta bullshit. You remind of your subject matter. Anal ..."

- Andrew Loog Oldham 2019.

grinning smiley

It would of course only cover up to 1969.

if you leave out chapter three you have at least one copy sold. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 26, 2019 17:16

grinning smiley

Date: July 26, 2019 20:12

His Majesty
TravelinMan

Nobody will ever confuse you with an ethnomusicologist, or anybody remotely interesting for that matter.

Date: July 27, 2019 22:32

grinning smiley

Date: July 28, 2019 01:18

I certainly wouldn't call Mick Taylor dull. Practically unknowable, sure. His addition to the apex of classic Stones music will never be dull. I think his inside view of the band would be interesting to hear, if he would ever tell it. I always state that you can't remove people from their time, and during Mick Taylor's actual hitch in the band, there was always something awkward about him.

There was an energy about the Jones/Jagger/Richard visual lineup that was jarring to lose. Mick Taylor lacked the visual charisma of Jones, or Wood. That seemed much more important back then. Bill already had the taciturn funeral stiff down pat, and was actually an anchor against the flamboyant front line. With time, and a deeper appreciation of the music, both Bill and Mick Taylor are now lauded for their musical contribution to the Stones.

Mick Taylor never did fit visually. Plus it was awkward to have two Micks in the band. As if it all matters now. Mick Taylor was simply the finest guitar player the Stones ever had.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1395
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home