Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith inducting ZZ Top into the RRHOF
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 27, 2019 23:18

Hairball
powerage78
Degüello is a masterpiece.

I was in High school when that was released, and yes a classic as is Tejas just prior to that and pretty much all the previous albums
The '80's MTV era's not really my cup of tea, but fun to seem them play all those tunes live.

Not sure what 'playback' they use live...maybe some synthy drum sampling? Similar to the Stones Sympathy?
Definitely not Billy's guitar or Dusty's bass...they're pretty raw and ragtag...that's part of what makes them a great band live
They've stripped most of the sampling and loops away, but they definitely used them in their '80s and '90s heyday.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 27, 2019 23:55

keefriff99
dcba
jlowe
Is Keith a fan of ZZ top?
I could understand him inducting one of his musical heroes but this band?
It's so showbiz. Perhaps his Manager felt a bit of publicity, good or bad wouldn't do any harm.

Remember ZZ Top opened for the Stones in Hawaii in 1973 so they might indeed have a long deep relationship (probably based on their love and knowledge of the blues).

Personally I think the ZZ Top are rather shady characters : they sold their @ss for mainstream success at the time of the "Eliminator" album (plus they manaed to rip co-writer Linden Hudson off his credits), they use playback during concerts.
Interesting stuff. Never heard of Linden Hudson before.

I love Eliminator, and Afterburner to a lesser extent, but they're pretty fraudulent albums. The only real instruments on the albums are Billy's voice and guitars. Everything else is synthesized.

Eliminator I have myself. Great album, albeit commercial maybe. But in the end that doen't matter to me. It's a great album as it is.It works. That's what is important to me.

Date: July 28, 2019 00:35

Agreed...it's a damn fine pop hard rock album, but it's very synthesized.

Frank Beard apparently didn't even know his parts were going to be replaced by a drum machine until he heard the final product, and he went ballistic in the studio.

Date: July 28, 2019 16:44

keefriff99

Frank Beard apparently didn't even know his parts were going to be replaced by a drum machine until he heard the final product, and he went ballistic in the studio.

i never heard that about beard as I thought he never even layed down a drum part for many of the songs

Date: July 28, 2019 17:36

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99

i never heard that about beard as I thought he never even layed down a drum part for many of the songs
Pretty sure I read it in this book:

[www.amazon.com]

Frank was listening to the final album in the studio, jumped up and yelled, "Who's playing those @#$%&' drums??"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 28, 2019 19:45

keefriff99

Frank Beard. Is that his real name?!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 28, 2019 19:53

[www.youtube.com]

ZZ Top is Going 50

I used to jog with my german shepard around that outdoor waterfall in the video
at the 1.00 minute mark. The Mexican restaurant they show housing their cars was there favorite Mexican restaurant near downtown Houston.

The band ZZ Top is marking 50 years together, with a new remastered collection of their greatest hits, "Goin' 50." Jim Axlerod talks with guitarist Billy Gibbons, bassist Dusty Hill, and drummer Frank Beard (the one without a beard) who are still working hard to make their pedal-to-the-metal, bluesy country rock seem so easy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2019 22:08

train wreck, glad he's cleaned up.

Date: July 28, 2019 23:51

jlowe
keefriff99

Frank Beard. Is that his real name?!
It sure is...and of course, he's the only bandmember WITHOUT a full beard.

Dunno if that was intentional (it might be hard to drum with a ZZ-style beard hanging in the way) but it's classic either way.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 30, 2019 20:25

Coming soon:

ZZ Top - That Little Ol' Band From Texas (Official Trailer)

Visit www.zztopfilm.com for screening details.

Produced by the Emmy award-winning Banger Films, ZZ TOP: THAT LITTLE OL’ BAND FROM TEXAS tells the story of how three oddball teenage bluesmen - Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill, and Frank Beard – became one of the biggest, most beloved bands on the planet, all while maintaining a surrealist mystique that continues to intrigue fans and entice onlookers 50 years after the band’s inception.

Buoyed by candid band interviews, never-before-seen archive, animation, celebrity fan testimonials (Billy Bob Thornton, Joshua Homme and more), and an intimate performance at the legendary Gruene Hall shot exclusively for this documentary, “That Little Ol’ Band” runs the gamut, from the absurd to the poignant, from squalid Texas bars to MTV heroics, all in celebration of this notoriously private, but larger than life, power trio. In the end, ZZ TOP: THAT LITTLE OL’ BAND FROM TEXAS unravels the extraordinary tale of a band whose image we know, but whose story we don’t.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: July 30, 2019 22:47

I'm not sure if this link works outside Finland...
[areena.yle.fi]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 31, 2019 00:45

Link works, but I don’t understand Finspeak.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 31, 2019 00:52

Koen

There should be a link...Translate English

Date: July 31, 2019 05:46

Just to bring it all around, here's ZZ Top inducting Cream in 1993:

[youtu.be]

Great video.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: July 31, 2019 09:59

Koen

Just click on the image to watch the program. It's not dubbed, only subtitled in Finnish.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2036
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home