Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: Philadelphia show 23-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: tony ()
Date: July 24, 2019 22:50

How were the limited view seats? What sections were you in?

Re: Philadelphia show 23-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 24, 2019 22:55

I thought i heard Gimme Shelter as good as i was ever going to hear it at Jacksonville, and then what do you know, Keith and Ronnie go one better in Phily.
Keith was asked in an interview by Chris Evens in 1998, "who is the best guitarist out of you and Ronnie" ?? Ronnie playfully said "well Keith knows I am" when asked the same question, But Keith's answer was on the money, he said I think we are both pretty lousy but together we are better than ten others.
Well Ronnie and Keith are proving that the way they are weaving at present, Ronnie especially on Shelter is just incredible at the moment.

Date: July 25, 2019 03:20

Monsoon Ragoon
Green Lady

What a horrible setlist (at least for the hardcore fans), especially considering the show took place in Philly were they already played many, many shows over the years. Only hits and standards, very sad. I think they are finished as serious artist.

How bout you speak for yourself, i consider myself as hardcore as they come,Im just happy they are playing in their late 70s in 2019,,, after 56 years, divorce, death, drugs, heart attacks, blood transfusions, concussions, break ups, Immigration problems, tax problems, flops and bastard childern.

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: TonyRz2 ()
Date: July 25, 2019 05:38

Strange, I considered Philly a classic Stones town. Not just a pass by town. I really though they would do something extra there. Like adding one song or whatever...

Philly got another best-in-class show, like we often do on Stones' tours. Keep it short, I say. What do you want, another rendition of IORR? (Although even THAT would have been mindblowing last night, I bet). But, you know, too much of a good thing and all that.

I like to consider myself world's #1 warhorse-setlist whiner, but there was no arguing last night's greatness (like the 2002 stadium show at THE VET).

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 25, 2019 05:54

I don't understand those who complain about set lists without going to the show. It is like complaining about a beer - how it looks like - without tasking it.

I guess it is the dream of another band. The Rolling Stones have been masters of repeating the same set list for every show, all the tours they have done, in the past the very same songs every night, like in the 70's and 80's. These days they change some songs, because they know many fans travel to more than one show.

They taste good! In fact they are great!

Bjornulf

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: July 25, 2019 06:10

smileys with beer
bv
I don't understand those who complain about set lists without going to the show. It is like complaining about a beer - how it looks like - without tasking it.

I guess it is the dream of another band. The Rolling Stones have been masters of repeating the same set list for every show, all the tours they have done, in the past the very same songs every night, like in the 70's and 80's. These days they change some songs, because they know many fans travel to more than one show.

They taste good! In fact they are great!

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 25, 2019 06:14

Monsoon Ragoon
Green Lady
1 Street Fighting Man
2 You Got Me Rocking
3 Tumbling Dice
4 Bitch (Vote song)
5 YCAGWYW
6 Angie (B Stage)
7 Dead Flowers (B Stage)
8 Sympathy For The Devil
9 Honky Tonk Women
- Band intros -
10 Slipping Away (Keith)
11 Before They make Me Run (Keith)
12 Miss You
13 Midnight Rambler
14 Paint it Black
15 Gimme shelter
16 Start Me Up
17 JJF
- Band off stage -
18 Brown Sugar
19 Satisfaction

What a horrible setlist (at least for the hardcore fans), especially considering the show took place in Philly were they already played many, many shows over the years. Only hits and standards, very sad. I think they are finished as serious artist.

Horrible?
19 Stones songs horrible?
Must be a joke.
If not: Maybe its time for some u tube believer fans to check out of
the Stones circuit right now. Just an idea.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 25, 2019 06:50

You Got to Roll Me
Monsoon Ragoon
Green Lady

Some dodgy editing here.
PLEASE NOTE THAT I POSTED THE SETLIST BUT I DID NOT SAY IT WAS HORRIBLE!

How bout you speak for yourself, i consider myself as hardcore as they come,Im just happy they are playing in their late 70s in 2019,,, after 56 years, divorce, death, drugs, heart attacks, blood transfusions, concussions, break ups, Immigration problems, tax problems, flops and bastard childern.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 25, 2019 06:56

Setlists are boring. Shows are not.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 25, 2019 08:01

Omg I loved right before they did Bitch, Mick was looking at all the songs floating around on the screen and after seeing "She Smiled Sweetly" on the screen he said, "She Smiled Sweetly, I don't know. Don't ask me to do that one." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 25, 2019 08:18

JordyLicks96
Omg I loved right before they did Bitch, Mick was looking at all the songs floating around on the screen and after seeing "She Smiled Sweetly" on the screen he said, "She Smiled Sweetly, I don't know. Don't ask me to do that one." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Would have enjoyed "Godz" (Godzi from Wyman's Black Box selection?) followed by "We Love You", though - as seen on the screen around the 0.25 mark!

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 25, 2019 08:24

Yes I saw that too! Glad someone else spotted that too. They must have every Stones related recording to showcase on the screen, even unreleased material which is awesome. If Mick saw "Godzi" he'd probably be like, "Umm, what the heck is that???" eye popping smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 25, 2019 13:41

bv

Rolling Horror picture show?
(certainly not a favorable picture)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 25, 2019 13:48

Ronnie painting the setlist (with some help):

[twitter.com]

The Rolling Stones - Philadelphia PA 23-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 25, 2019 15:31

The Rolling Stones take Philly, but was it the last time?

Owen Sweeny/Invision/Associated Press

By Ed Condran
Jul 24, 2019

If this was the Stones’ final show in Philadelphia, the finest example of rock royalty went out with a bang.

“What a drag it is getting old.” Rolling Stones’ “Mothers Little Helper.”

That clever line, which kicks off the Rolling Stones’ classic hit from their salad days, doesn’t apply to the geriatric rockers. The aging iconoclasts delivered a strong set full of favorites Tuesday at a sold-out Lincoln Financial Field.

Legendary frontman Mick Jagger, who is the reason the show was postponed six weeks due to heart surgery, still can goose-step all over a massive stage. Jagger, who once said that he couldn’t imagine belting out ”(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” at 40, impressed just three nights before his 76th birthday. Jagger was animated as ever, particularly when he waltzed down a lengthy catwalk to the delight of fans.

The stick-thin vocalist and his emaciated bandmates (guitarist Ronnie Wood is supermodel skinny) kicked off the two-hour set with the potent “Street Fighting Man.” Jagger strutted and pointed his fingers at the crowd, which was primarily filled with baby boomers. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, who is arguably the greatest frontman of all time, shows no ill effects after having a heart valve replaced last spring.

Much of the setlist was comprised of the familiar, such as “Honky Tonk Woman,” “Miss You” and “Jumping’ Jack Flash.”

Some of the highlights were an intense version of “Paint It Black,” a powerful run through the sinister “Midnight Rambler” and Keith Richards behind the microphone for the rousing “Before They Make Me Run.”

Richards’ craggy face beamed just before he belted out “Slipping Away.” Everyone makes such a big deal about Jagger and it makes sense since there is no one like him, but the Stones have always been Richards’ band as well. The rock and roll pirate still casually strums his guitar while slumped over, leaving the spotlight to Jagger, who prances around the stage.

Jagger couldn’t help but pander to the crowd. “We were on our way to Wawa but we hit a pothole but (Rolling Stones drummer) Charlie (Watts) was all right since he got his hoagie at Sheetz.”

Jagger covered all of the bases and let the crowd know that former Eagles quarterback/Jacksonville Jaguar Nick Foles says hello, since the Stones recently performed at his new digs in Jacksonville. It’s as hard to believe that Foles, a devoutly religious man, is into the bad boy Stones as it would be to witness Jagger ordering a shorti at Wawa.

It would be a shock to the system to see Jagger in a normal situation since he and the Stones remain larger than life.

The Stones stand out even more today since rock stars have gone the way of the dinosaur. Jagger and Richards are the last of a dying breed. The question when leaving the Linc was, is this the last time the Stones play Philly? “Most of the places we’ve played in Philadelphia have been demolished,” Jagger accurately stated.

If this was the Stones’ final show in Philadelphia, the finest example of rock royalty went out with a bang.

[www.buckscountycouriertimes.com]

Date: July 25, 2019 15:32

Date: July 25, 2019 15:34

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: July 25, 2019 16:02

I would like to take this opportunity to thank BV for deleting all my posts. Nice!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-25 16:45 by tumbled.

Date: July 25, 2019 16:48

Thank you Philly!

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 25, 2019 16:50

Dead Flowers in Philly: 5 times in 26 shows (1972, 1989 twice, 2013, 2019). That’s unusually, but not even 25 minutes in 54 year's time. In 1972 it was a surprise - they probably only played it because it was a filmed performance (comparable to Bob Wills and Learning The Game in Austin 2006). In the first part of the 1989 tour it was always played. Nowadays it's one of the ca. 20-30 "casual rarities" that may happen or not.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 25, 2019 17:06

BV
The Rolling Stones have been masters of repeating the same set list for every show, all the tours they have done, in the past the very same songs every night, like in the 70's and 80's

That is true. But up till 1982 they still made new albums almost every year. And the lion's part of the setlists were made up of songs from their latest 2-3 albums.
And, of course, the internet didn't exist...

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 25, 2019 17:31

Stoneage
BV
The Rolling Stones have been masters of repeating the same set list for every show, all the tours they have done, in the past the very same songs every night, like in the 70's and 80's

That is true. But up till 1982 they still made new albums almost every year. And the lion's part of the setlists were made up of songs from their latest 2-3 albums.
And, of course, the internet didn't exist...

The setlists before the Voodoo Lounge Tour were not as static as widely believed. The setlists 1975, 1981, 1989, especially 1978 etc. were partly very different (although the played less different songs). At least that can be said about the first half of the tours. And the older tour setlists were no Greatest Hits spectacles (not even in 1989/90 they played almost only hits and live classics). 2019 will be no exception. From now on the shows will far more predictable than in Chicago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-25 17:56 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Re: The Rolling Stones - Philadelphia PA 23-July-2019
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 25, 2019 17:42

bye bye johnny

"Damn, we said we want at least one picture with all four of them"
"Sorry, this is the best I could do"

Date: July 25, 2019 18:13

Guess you missed the photo posted in the show review...

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 25, 2019 18:16

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 25, 2019 18:17

tony
How were the limited view seats? What sections were you in?

Sec 123 aisle seat between 123 and 122.
Great view!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 25, 2019 18:30

bye bye johnny
Guess you missed the photo posted in the show review...

Quips are frowned upon, I get it

Date: July 25, 2019 19:50

REVIEW: The Rolling Stones at Philly’s Lincoln Financial Field seems to show time is on their side

By John J. Moser | Jul 25, 2019

Brian Hineline

At its concert Tuesday at Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field, The Rolling Stones seemed to studiously stay away from any songs that suggested their 56-year career is nearing an end: No “This May Be the Last Time,” no “Time is on Our Side.”

And perhaps that was appropriate, given the fears conjured by singer Mick Jagger’s recent heart surgery, which forced rescheduling of its U.S. tour, including the Philly date, from June 4.

But all The Stones needed to assuage those doubts was to what they ultimately did: Play a show that blasted out of the gate at full bore, its energy rarely flagging over two hours of 19 of some of the best songs ever written, to finish with the band seeming to have given its all.

It was a stunning display of not only how The Rolling Stones remain The World’s Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Band, but of how no one else really is even very close.

Mick Jagger’s performance skills, even as he prepares to turn 76 on Friday, remain unparalleled. He pranced and preened and danced and delivered virtually non-stop – even, at the end of the show, on a rain-slickened stage.

Guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood not only displayed their legendary weaving guitar leads, but separately during the night also established themselves as ax masters. And drummer Charlie Watts was so steady and strong that he showed there would be no Rolling Stones without him.

The show was a spectacle, to be sure, with three-story visual screens behind the stage, two backup singers, two horns and two keyboards, as well and a fireworks finale (literally, and Philly-appropriate).

But perhaps the show’s biggest strength was that the four Rolling Stones (plus longtime bassist Darryl Jones) seemed to do it the way a real band does – delivering a musical performance that would have sounded almost as good in a club.

The show started with a viscous “Street Fighting Man,” the music mean and aggressive, the impossibly thin and fit Jagger stalking the stage in a red jacket, firing vocals like a flame-thrower.

The second song, “You Got Me Rocking” – from 1994’s “Voodoo Lounge,” it was the newest song The Stones played all night – was just as forceful, with the flames this time coming from Richards and Wood.

That was followed by a run of hits at a level that perhaps only The Rolling Stones could deliver.

A surprisingly light “Tumbling Dice” had Wood taking the lead on guitar and Jagger out on a runway that ran a third of the way through the crowd, making swimming motions with his arms. “Bitch,” chosen by fans’ request, was perhaps the best song of the night, sizzling at a slash-and-burn speed.

Despite the show’s size, it was, indeed, only rock and roll, but the sellout crowd clearly liked it.

And the slower hits: “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” was lighter, as if it had more perspective after all these years, but was punctuated by a long Wood solo and Jagger out on the runway leading the crowd in a sing-along.

“Angie” started a stripped-down acoustic couplet of songs for which the four members set up at the end of the runway to play. It showed the band can deliver that way, too, followed by Jagger singing in a delightful faux-country voice on “Dead Flowers.”

Jagger donned a sequined red coat and fedora for “Sympathy for the Devil,” also less ominous and more straight-forward, but with a particularly stinging guitar from Richards. And “Honky Tonk Women” was indeed as seedy as a juke joint, dripping with horns to which Jagger swiveled his hips.

After 25 minutes at top speed, Jagger left the stage – and vocals – to Richards, who voiced a surprisingly classic-pop “Slippin’ Away” from the 1989 disc “Steel Wheels.” While that was good, he was by far better, and more in his wheelhouse (with his introduction of “Let’s rock it up”) on “Before They Make Me Run” from 1978’s “Some Girls.”

But both raised his guitar-playing quotient, seeming as if he knew the spotlight was on him – and he delivered.

Jagger rejoined the troupe for that album’s hit, “Miss You,” which was far more funky and R&B than the original disco. On it, the band let Jones have his moment – a standout solo before the sax kicked in.

In another display of its prowess, the band played a 12-minute version of the straight-up blues number “Midnight Rambler” from 1969’s “Let It Bleed.” It was another opportunity for Richards to excel, and he did, showing his blues chops. And its length showed that if it ever wanted to be, The Rolling Stones would make a heck of a jam band.

By that time, there was steady rain at the Linc, yet Jagger still ventured out into it, on the runway – and danced. Same on the sinewy, Eastern-mystical “Paint It Black.”

“Rain?” Jagger told the crowd. “We got just the song for that,” and the band bust into a boiling, simmering “Gimme Shelter,” on which he not only went back out onto the ramp, but pulled a backup singer along to have her do the belting female part.

Jagger spoke to the crowd several times and showed his Philadelphia knowledge by joking the band had gone out to “Wawa to get my hoagie, but then we hit a pothole. Charlie was OK because he went to Sheetz.” He also said the band had last played at Jaguar stadium in Jacksonville, Fla., and said, “Nick Foles sends his best wishes.”

At the end of the runway, he noted it looked like he was on the 50-yard line and asked, “is this where [Eagles kicker] Jake Elliot hit the field goal?”

He also apologized for changing the concert’s date and thanked the crowd “for being so patient with us,” and said the band was “glad we missed the heat wave and the storm.”

And after a barreling version of “Start Me Up,” he told the crowd, “I want to thank you, Philadelphia. We’ve been playing here for 54 years” and noted that most of the venues they played were gone.

Certainly there could be quibbles with the show. The band skipped significant songs such as “Under My Thumb," "Get Off My Cloud,” “19th Nervous Breakdown” and “Ruby Tuesday.” And perhaps “Midnight Rambler” ate up some of the time to fit those in.

But the main set closed with an increasingly ragged “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” that still had all the emphasis and energy – and great weaving guitars and blasting string strums – but clearly was coming from a tired band.

The encore opened with a rocking “Brown Sugar” and a deliciously ragged, no-holds-barred seven-minute “Satisfaction” on which Jagger’s vocals had become a raspy cannon-shot that still was leading the audience in a sing-along.

It was a band more than a half-century into its career, with its legacy long decided, still giving everything it had until the end of the show.

The Rolling Stones showed it’s unlikely this will be “The Last Time,” and even if it is, sometimes you get what you need.

[www.mcall.com]

Date: July 25, 2019 19:53

Brian Hineline

Brian Hineline

Date: July 25, 2019 19:55

Brian Hineline

Brian Hineline

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home