Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: Philadelphia show 23-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 24, 2019 17:18

Strange, I considered Philly a classic Stones town. Not just a pass by town. I really though they would do something extra there. Like adding one song or whatever...

Re: Philadelphia show 23-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: July 24, 2019 17:31

Fun time in Philly last night. (although I thought Jacksonville was better)
The rain definetly added some atmosphere to the show.

I love how Mick brushes up on the local current events in every town they play.
What did Mick say during his banter about Nick Foles?

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 24, 2019 17:44

Stoneage
Strange, I considered Philly a classic Stones town. Not just a pass by town. I really though they would do something extra there. Like adding one song or whatever...

Yeah. I was really surprised that the Jacksonville (a rather seldom visited region) setlist was far more interesting than the Philadelphia one.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 24, 2019 17:51

Goddamn. Rambler. In the rain. Just incredible. The rain really seemed to bring something out of the band, or at least just an incredible vibe.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 24, 2019 17:56

spikenyc

Having noted that the B stage was just about on the 50 yard line...

"We played the Jaguars stadium the other night..."
Crowd: "Booooo!"
"Nick Foles sends his regards."
Crowd: "BOOOOOOOOO!"

He's always claiming that they went to the famous local bar and eatery and sampled all the local dishes, saw all the sights... He knows how the home team are doing and who their big rivals are. The man does his homework (or somebody does it for him).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 18:00 by Green Lady.

Date: July 24, 2019 18:05

jazzbass
Goddamn. Rambler. In the rain. Just incredible. The rain really seemed to bring something out of the band, or at least just an incredible vibe.

I saw them in Little Rock on the Voo Doo Lounge Tour. There was a misty rain that night. Added to the show and yes the band seemed to feed off it.

Also saw the 1981 Dallas Oct 31st show. Rained so hard you could barley see at times . My first time to ever see them. And they just played as if it was not raining. Way cool. And hooked me as a Stones fan for life.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 18:11 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 18:14

THAT was a storm, and I was there grinning smiley (Paris, Longchamps, 1995)

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

The Rolling Stones - Philadelphia PA 23-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 24, 2019 18:53

Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones, still vital in South Philly | Concert review

Dan DeLuca
Posted: July 24, 2019

STEVEN M. FALK

When the Rolling Stones postponed the entirety of their No Filter tour this spring — including a June 4 show at Lincoln Financial Field — due to Mick Jagger’s medical condition, any hopes of seeing the band before summer was out seemed overly optimistic.

To say the least: The band’s septuagenarian lead singer needed heart surgery, for goodness sake. And even thinking about a still recuperating Jagger performing the only way he knows how — singing while strutting up and down a catwalk, when not motoring back and forth to either side of an oversize stage — was enough to give a nervous Stones fan a heart attack.

And yet, there Jagger was on Tuesday night, along with his mates Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts — aggregate age of the four: 300 — prancing and powering through a marvelously unslick two hour rain-soaked stadium show in South Philadelphia, sounding every bit as unruly and vital as you could hope they would.

At this late stage, it’s hard not to get sentimental about the Stones — a miraculously (largely) intact entity formed in 1962 that, as Jagger pointed out, has been playing Philadelphia now for “54 [blanking] years.”

That 1965 show was at the long since razed Philadelphia Civic Center in West Philadelphia, and the band did actually play one Pennsylvania show even earlier than that, at a Farm Show in Harrisburg in 1964.

The idea is that the Stones have been around for pretty much forever, a notion that Jagger underscored when he seemed to mistake the Linc for JFK Stadium, the also long gone building the band played when they came to town in the 1970s and 1980s.

“Most places we used to play have been demolished, and this one hasn’t,” he said, and while he was mixing up his venues, his point was germane. Buildings, eras, styles of music and the people that play them come and go. But the Stones carry on, seemingly immortal.

Jagger’s health scare put the lie to that, of course, while also signaling that it’s past time to stand back and appreciate all that they are, while they’re still around.

The Stones are grizzled and the would be gray-haired, were it not for ample use of hair dye. The elegant and imperturbable Watts, a jazz lover who always only plays what’s absolutely necessary and was introduced by Jagger as coming all the way “from Preservation Hall to Independence Hall,” is the only silver fox among them.

But in the Stones case, with age also comes intuitive, next level musical communication, and the all important understanding that there’s little point in attempting to replicate one’s greatest hits note for note.

The Stones couldn’t do it if they tried, so they don’t bother, instead keeping their bluesy, Chuck Berry-derived snarl intact by staying raw and in the moment, unafraid that a bum note might show up here and there.

The set list wasn’t filled with rarities. Sticky Fingers’ horn driven “Bitch,” with dual sax action from Karl Denson and Tim Ries, was the by-request song chosen by fans on the internet. And the two song acoustic set played by only the core four at the edge of the catwalk featured “Angie” and “Dead Flowers.”

But from the opening “Street Fightin‘ Man” — the closest the Stones ever came to a political manifesto, declaring “the time is right for a palace revolution” — to the final encore of “Satisfaction,” the set was filled with warhorses that still delivered plenty of kick.

Wood and Richards weaved their uncanny twin guitars throughout the evening, with the former shining on “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” the night’s first sing-along. In the band’s engine room, Richards and Watts played off one another, pushing and pulling the band’s shifting rhythmic foundation, keeping the sound spry.

Bassist Daryl Jones stepped out on “Miss You,” the disco era workout that got the crowd back up out of their chairs (or rushing back from the bathroom) after a stellar two song Richards-sung set, including the mood piece “Slipping Away” and delightful “Before They Make Me Run,” in which the legendary libertine remembered times when he "wasn’t looking too good, but I was feeling real well.”

And “Miss You” also was notable for achieving a measure of tenderness, with Jagger gently repeating “I miss you, girl” in a near whispered coda as the song faded away.

Did Jagger ever show any signs of age of infirmity? Not once. Was this really a man whose health had been in serious danger just a few months ago?

There was no way you could have guessed that. His vocals were robust. Coming out on stage in a red leather jacket and black skinny jeans — and later changing into a green leather hoodie when it rained, and a top hat and floor length coat when he did his Mephistopheles bit on “Sympathy for the Devil” — his peripatetic rooster dance moves are still intact, though less exaggerated and cartoony than they once were. He’s the most fabulously fit baby boomer in the room.

He also is still a hammy, pandering, joyful showman who delights in what he’s doing. Wood, who’s an avid painter, was introduced as “the Cheesesteak Chagall.” when the band moved to the middle of the stage, Jagger referenced Philadelphia Eagles field goal kicker Jake Elliott.

And the clearly well-briefed front man might have overdone it when with tongue in cheek he told of driving to Wawa to get a hoagie but being waylaid by hitting a pothole. Watts, however, was unbothered, he claimed. “Charlie gets his hoagies from Sheetz.”

Those showbiz shenanigans would have seemed merely silly, of course, if the music wasn’t in fine working order. And though not everything went smoothly — “Paint It, Black” was a little desultory to my ears — for the most part, out hummed along.

The most thrilling moments of the evening both came after the rain started to fall an hour in. Jagger was joined by singer Sasha Allen — who handled back up vocals all night long with Bernard Fowler for “Gimme Shelter,” out at the end of the catwalk. Allen wailed away on the showstopping vocal part originally sung by Merry Clayton, as the musical high drama was heightened by the meteorological conditions.

Jagger was similarly out on the edge on his own for “Midnight Rambler,” the creeping, hard-slamming blues on which he crouched down in his green leather and blew his harp for all he was worth.

And Jagger brought smiles to Watts and Richards’ faces when he strolled back to the main stage to lead them into a detour in the song within a song of “Walkin‘ Blues.” That foundational tune for the band was sung by both Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, the latter of whom wrote a different song that, more than 50 years ago, gave the Rolling Stones their name.

Back in 2013, before the Stones last played Philadelphia, I interviewed Jagger, and he talked about what to him “rock and roll is really about.” For the archetypal rock front man, it boils down to one word: “Energy. It jumps out at you, even if you haven’t heard it for ages.” On Tuesday at the Linc, watching the Stones still make that leap, despite their advanced ages, was a wonder to behold.

[www.inquirer.com]

Date: July 24, 2019 19:24

STEVEN M. FALK

Date: July 24, 2019 19:26

STEVEN M. FALK

Date: July 24, 2019 19:30

STEVEN M. FALK

Date: July 24, 2019 19:33

STEVEN M. FALK

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 24, 2019 19:53

Kudos to those who enjoy watching a show in the rain. Speaking for myself, if I knew it was going to rain, I wouldn't buy a ticket. Takes all kinds I guess. Glad they can pull it off and people enjoyed it.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 24, 2019 20:07

bye bye johnny , Thanks for posting the Dan Deluca review which I enjoyed reading

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 24, 2019 20:10

Monsoon Ragoon
The only good things to say about the 2019 tour so far: the beginning was better than expected, and: they didn't play LARS until now, not really a bad, but nevertheless embarrassing song, They reworked the classic Dylan song into a sort of "Ballermann" kind of thing.

that's more or less what if've been saying since they began {mis)treating that song back in 95

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 24, 2019 20:18

Mick said we looked great in our rain gear. He looked great himself, with a red had, a black hat, and also hooded jacket. He certainly did not care about the rain, and the same goes for Keith, he joined Ronnie out on a solo in the rain, just to tell us we were all in it for this show!

Mick walked Sasha hand in hand out to the B-stage during Gimme Shelter, it was quite slippery. Then she started her solo, and Mick stepped back to let he shine for that moment.

Reports and pictures here:

The Rolling Stones
Lincoln Financial Field
Philadelphia PA USA
Tuesday July 23, 2019

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 20:19 by bv.

Date: July 24, 2019 20:26

Green Lady
spikenyc

Having noted that the B stage was just about on the 50 yard line...

"We played the Jaguars stadium the other night..."
Crowd: "Booooo!"
"Nick Foles sends his regards."
Crowd: "BOOOOOOOOO!"

He's always claiming that they went to the famous local bar and eatery and sampled all the local dishes, saw all the sights... He knows how the home team are doing and who their big rivals are. The man does his homework (or somebody does it for him).

Thanks. Love it!
I thought someone else might be doing his research for him as well, but Mick seems to be pretty active on social media, so maybe its all him?
He has plenty of people he can always fact check with as well.
I still think its great that he localizes his banter for each city.
Most other bands will say the same thing in every city.

Date: July 24, 2019 20:30

Greats shots BV!
Yes, the rain made for a special vibe last night!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 24, 2019 21:11

bv

GREAT pic Bjornulf, as are all of them. thumbs up

"I'm singin' in the rain
Just singin' in the rain
What a glorious feeling
I'm happy again..."

smiling smiley

Go Mick!

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 24, 2019 21:33

keefriff99
Gimme Shelter has been EXCELLENT on this tour. I know Keith flubbed the intro at one show, but generally speaking, the guitars have been really on point.

Yesterday it started off a bit shaky in the first verse, but then gradually built up to a decent grove. Not fantastic, but a lot better than some other recent versions.

Gimme Shelter hasn't been a highlight of the show very often since the Licks-tour, but yesterdays version was IMO better than some ABB-tour versions. At their age that's very impressive. For instance I would say yesterdays version was better than this one from 2006: [www.youtube.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 21:42 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 24, 2019 21:40

great photos, bv!
thanks

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: July 24, 2019 22:12

What was Mick saying about Wawa and Sheetz about the hoagies? lol. I was laughing...... Sasha was singing funny what was with that?

nevermind I see this now:

"And the clearly well-briefed front man might have overdone it when with tongue in cheek he told of driving to Wawa to get a hoagie but being waylaid by hitting a pothole. Watts, however, was unbothered, he claimed. “Charlie gets his hoagies from Sheetz.”

Charlies is so smart. The meatball sub at Sheetz is EXCELLENTO AND!!!!
IT ONLY COSTS $2.94 FOR 1/2 SUB. THE SAUCE IS GOOD, BUT DEF PUT ON THE PROVOLONE>... you can thank me later!!! okay kids. carry on...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 22:26 by tumbled.

Date: July 24, 2019 22:14

Green Lady
Keith seems to be enjoying himself tonight.

thank u green lady for your links!!

Date: July 24, 2019 22:23

Mick has an owie on his arm in that 2nd picture.

Date: July 24, 2019 22:28

Drew Hallowell/Philadelphia Eagles

Date: July 24, 2019 22:29

Date: July 24, 2019 22:31

Date: July 24, 2019 22:32

Date: July 24, 2019 22:33

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 22:48

Man, it looks like Ronnie is Benjamin Button-ing in real time!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1988
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home