Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
Re: Philadelphia show 23-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: July 24, 2019 12:41

I wish Keith played Sympathy different during "Pleased to meet you.."-phrase. If he plays the b-chord twice instead of sliding on the g-string and muting the tone, it would sound much more powerful. He does it sometimes, but in most cases he does that strange thing which sounds very odd to me.

But apart from that he seemed to be in good shape yesterday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 12:43 by MacLaurens.

Re: Philadelphia show 23-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: July 24, 2019 12:50

MacLaurens
I wish Keith played Sympathy different during "Pleased to meet you.."-phrase. If he plays the b-chord twice instead of sliding on the g-string and muting the tone, it would sound much more powerful. He does it sometimes, but in most cases he does that strange thing which sounds very odd to me.

But apart from that he seemed to be in good shape yesterday!

He plays B/Bsus and eventually that D# on the g-string. I think he means to include more notes in a hybrid B-chord when he mutes/plays the g-string with little sustain. At least, that’s what he used to do earlier.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: July 24, 2019 14:17

Keef started with a kick. That was fun. Great show. Loved dancing in rain with Mick in his sparkley red top hat. Appreciate that they kept acoustic set. So nice to see guys in walkers rockin along with twenty-year-olds. My 15 year-d rebelled by reading a book throughout the show. Ah youth.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: July 24, 2019 14:55

Librarian
My 15 year-d rebelled by reading a book throughout the show. Ah youth.

Hahaa.
Those are on of those moments you only realie years later that you were a dumbass in front of 50k people.

Posted by: muncy23 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 15:01

TonyRz2
I never thought I'd say this but "Gimme Shelter" live tonight rocked my world.

I was thinking the same thing before jacksonville but they killed it. Sounds like they did in Philly Also.

Posted by: muncy23 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 15:04

stone4ever
After watching all the footage, one things for sure
KEITH IS BACK.

He carried the show in Jacksonville, I think i have to go all the way back to the licks tour to find better playing (at least at the shows ive been to)..Maybe its just the sound guys and how they are mixing his guitar, but its ALL GOOD winking smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 15:15

Gimme Shelter has been EXCELLENT on this tour. I know Keith flubbed the intro at one show, but generally speaking, the guitars have been really on point.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 15:15

GS
[www.youtube.com]

Bitch
[www.youtube.com]

BS & Satisfaction
[www.youtube.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 24, 2019 15:17

Yeeeaaaahh thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

muncy23

He carried the show in Jacksonville, I think i have to go all the way back to the licks tour to find better playing (at least at the shows ive been to)..Maybe its just the sound guys and how they are mixing his guitar, but its ALL GOOD winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 15:19 by powerage78.

Date: July 24, 2019 15:27

Donnebr
Hello all, I got Pit 1 in Philadelphia tonight. Great. Just a heads up. Very hard to get down to it. Lots of crowding & pushing with GA people around gate 103. Reminded me off old soccer games. Someone could have gotten hurt. Hard to get through with an 8 year old on your shoulders but it was very bad. Anyway, got there in the end. Great show.

Yeah. I also think that the pit hasn’t been that great an experience on this tour. It’s just a tad too small for the number of people with tickets, plus the freebies and the people sneaking in with copies of their friends’ tickets etc. Oh well, just need to get there early enough to beat the crowd.[/quote]

I agree the floor was a real pain to get to the line to get down there was hundreds of people long.
There was a guy standing next to me that had a stack of PIT 2 armbands he was holding on to.
One a good note I saw several lucky dip armbands in the PIT 2 sections but it was way overcrowded compared to Chicago or DC.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 24, 2019 15:48

Green Lady
1 Street Fighting Man
2 You Got Me Rocking
3 Tumbling Dice
4 Bitch (Vote song)
5 YCAGWYW
6 Angie (B Stage)
7 Dead Flowers (B Stage)
8 Sympathy For The Devil
9 Honky Tonk Women
- Band intros -
10 Slipping Away (Keith)
11 Before They make Me Run (Keith)
12 Miss You
13 Midnight Rambler
14 Paint it Black
15 Gimme shelter
16 Start Me Up
17 JJF
- Band off stage -
18 Brown Sugar
19 Satisfaction

What a horrible setlist (at least for the hardcore fans), especially considering the show took place in Philly were they already played many, many shows over the years. Only hits and standards, very sad. I think they are finished as serious artist.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 24, 2019 15:52

Very much going through the motions.I wish they would play something rare.It appears that "mercy,mercy" is the best we will get.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 15:54

Monsoon Ragoon
Green Lady
1 Street Fighting Man
2 You Got Me Rocking
3 Tumbling Dice
4 Bitch (Vote song)
5 YCAGWYW
6 Angie (B Stage)
7 Dead Flowers (B Stage)
8 Sympathy For The Devil
9 Honky Tonk Women
- Band intros -
10 Slipping Away (Keith)
12 Miss You
13 Midnight Rambler
14 Paint it Black
15 Gimme shelter
16 Start Me Up
17 JJF
- Band off stage -
18 Brown Sugar
19 Satisfaction

What a horrible setlist (at least for the hardcore fans), especially considering the show took place in Philly were they already played many, many shows over the years. Only hits and standards, very sad. I think they are finished as serious artist.
Not exactly a cutting-edge observed at this point.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: July 24, 2019 15:56

While I’d love to hear some rare stuff, I get that they play what the masses want. I’d love club shows of only rarely played songs and B & L.
Their b-stage set was a delightful surprise- I have seen it 3 times now and I was
Super HAPPY they kept it last night.

Date: July 24, 2019 16:11

Librarian
While I’d love to hear some rare stuff, I get that they play what the masses want. I’d love club shows of only rarely played songs and B & L.
Their b-stage set was a delightful surprise- I have seen it 3 times now and I was

I am glad that they are keeping the acoustic b-stage set as well but,they should at least look back and notice that they already performed "Dead Flowers" in Philadelphia recently.

So,they should have swapped "Dead Flowers" out for something like "Sweet Virginia" or "Shine a Light".

That way,at least returning fans would be more likely to get 1 song different.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 24, 2019 16:15

powerage78
Keith is back ?
Hé, who wrote here he was gone ?
eye rolling smiley
I think he was just far better in Philly.

PS : good SFM version

He was gone, I was worried, but he has worked hard and is back IMHO.
He even looks to have slimmed down lost that bloated look and is moving much more.
But isn't this just typical of Keith, he's the comeback King of Rock.
To be critical of him i could say why doesn't he arrive more prepared at the first show of the tour, but that's just not our Keith us it.

Also i notice Mick and Ronnie slowing down and looking more tired, Mick looked like he couldnt be bothered to sing Dead Flowers and a couple others.
Keith paces him self, these remaining 9 shows should just keep getting better if Keith stays healthy and focused, he looks so much better now in every way, he really does.

Date: July 24, 2019 16:18

He was on fire.
Awesome show, far better than the previous one.
Best Keith playing I can remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 16:24 by powerage78.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 24, 2019 16:21

Librarian

This idea of "what the masses want" is somewhat misconstructed. I've often talked to casual fans who would say things like "I really hoped they would play Already Over Me" which obviously they most likely wouldn't do, but to someone who listened to like three albums it could be a standout track. Another thing is people realizing "I never knew this song was the Stones" when it comes to certain warhorses. Maybe what they do is actually surprising to some first-timers.

Date: July 24, 2019 16:27

Nikkei
Librarian

This idea of "what the masses want" is somewhat misconstructed. I've often talked to casual fans who would say things like "I really hoped they would play Already Over Me" which obviously they most likely wouldn't do, but to someone who listened to like three albums it could be a standout track. Another thing is people realizing "I never knew this song was the Stones" when it comes to certain warhorses. Maybe what they do is actually surprising to some first-timers.

You got a point here here. The topic is pretty complicated. One could ask: "How many people were at both Philly-"Dead Flowers"-shows 1972 and 2019?" Maybe 30 or 40? - On the other hand: it was a ridiculous setlist, especially for Philadelphia, were they already played dozens of times. Even Glastonbury '13 was more interesting, which has to do a lot with 2000 Light Years From Home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 16:28 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 24, 2019 16:37

Completely re-writing Factory Girl was most interesting about Glastonbury. They pulled that off with authority.

Date: July 24, 2019 16:43

Nikkei
Completely re-writing Factory Girl was most interesting about Glastonbury. They pulled that off with authority.

I bloody forgot to mention Glastonbury Girl. It's interesting: they played more interesting setlists in 2013 at festivals in seldom visited regions than in regularly visited US metropoles in 2019 (at least Philly is an example). I hope at least East Rutherford or the shows in California will have better setlists than Philly (even July 1990 was more interesting, some might say).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 16:47 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 24, 2019 16:50

I would say Tumbling Dice is the most boring warhorse by now. Which is a pity because it used to be great. Overplayed I guess. Secondly HTW which I can't listen to anymore. Slipping Away is almost a farce by now. Ronnie struggles to keep a straight face during it. The b-stage slows the show down mostly. I guess semi-acoustic songs don't work in stadiums. And I rather have a cup of tea than listen to the warhorse parade at the end of the show. Did I mention that YCAGWYW is mostly boring now? I'll end on a positive note. YGMRN, a song which I'm not that keen on, is the one that works best live. It seems like they really enjoy playing it. It adds energy.

Date: July 24, 2019 16:57

Monsoon Ragoon
Nikkei
Librarian

You got a point here here. The topic is pretty complicated. One could ask: "How many people were at both Philly-"Dead Flowers"-shows 1972 and 2019?" Maybe 30 or 40? - On the other hand: it was a ridiculous setlist, especially for Philadelphia, were they already played dozens of times. Even Glastonbury '13 was more interesting, which has to do a lot with 2000 Light Years From Home.

"Dead Flowers" has been performed in Philly since 1972 .... 2013 AND all 1989 Philadelphia shows.

One could ask: "How many people were at concerts in Philadelphia when The Rolling Stones performed "Shine a Light"?? "

The answer to that question would be ZERO ..... as they have never performed the song there before.

"Dead Flowers" and "Shine a Light" similar popularity and quality,and they perform both of them. One is a re-run and the other would give almost everyone in the audience 1 song different.

The figure of 30 or 40 people would have applied to "Sweet Virginia" which has not been performed in Philadelphia since 1972. "Dead Flowers" has now been performed there on 3 tours starting with the "Steel Wheels Tour".

Date: July 24, 2019 16:58

Stoneage
I would say Tumbling Dice is the most boring warhorse by now. Which is a pity because it used to be great. Overplayed I guess. Secondly HTW which I can't listen to anymore. Slipping Away is almost a farce by now. Ronnie struggles to keep a straight face during it. The b-stage slows the show down mostly. I guess semi-acoustic songs don't work in stadiums. And I rather have a cup of tea than listen to the warhorse parade at the end of the show. Did I mention that YCAGWYW is mostly boring now? I'll end on a positive note. YGMRN, a song which I'm not that keen on, is the one that works best live. It seems like they really enjoy playing it. It adds energy.

I second that. And yes, You Got Me Rocking is obviously not a classic song, but it works in every stadium (although maybe 95 % of the audience never heard the song before). Our problem is: we want to hear "strange" songs like Mercy Mercy, which do not really "add energy". Mick Jagger prefers concerts with a high energy level. That's the conflict.

Date: July 24, 2019 16:59

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Was ironic, even mocking // official doctrine

stone4ever
powerage78
Keith is back ?
Hé, who wrote here he was gone ?
eye rolling smiley
I think he was just far better in Philly.

PS : good SFM version

He was gone, I was worried, but he has worked hard and is back IMHO.
He even looks to have slimmed down lost that bloated look and is moving much more.
But isn't this just typical of Keith, he's the comeback King of Rock.
To be critical of him i could say why doesn't he arrive more prepared at the first show of the tour, but that's just not our Keith us it.

Also i notice Mick and Ronnie slowing down and looking more tired, Mick looked like he couldnt be bothered to sing Dead Flowers and a couple others.
Keith paces him self, these remaining 9 shows should just keep getting better if Keith stays healthy and focused, he looks so much better now in every way, he really does.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 24, 2019 17:05

Monsoon Ragoon
Green Lady
1 Street Fighting Man
2 You Got Me Rocking
3 Tumbling Dice
4 Bitch (Vote song)
5 YCAGWYW
6 Angie (B Stage)
7 Dead Flowers (B Stage)
8 Sympathy For The Devil
9 Honky Tonk Women
- Band intros -
10 Slipping Away (Keith)
12 Miss You
13 Midnight Rambler
14 Paint it Black
15 Gimme shelter
16 Start Me Up
17 JJF
- Band off stage -
18 Brown Sugar
19 Satisfaction

well, at least last year's UK/Europe leg of the tour saw much more variation in the setlist

Date: July 24, 2019 17:07

keefriff99
Monsoon Ragoon
Green Lady
1 Street Fighting Man
2 You Got Me Rocking
3 Tumbling Dice
4 Bitch (Vote song)
5 YCAGWYW
6 Angie (B Stage)
7 Dead Flowers (B Stage)
8 Sympathy For The Devil
9 Honky Tonk Women
- Band intros -
10 Slipping Away (Keith)
12 Miss You
13 Midnight Rambler
14 Paint it Black
15 Gimme shelter
16 Start Me Up
17 JJF
- Band off stage -
18 Brown Sugar
19 Satisfaction

I refuse to drink the purple kool aid and say or think wow...they are 75 plus years old we should just be happy they are playing. I am a hard core Stones fan. I hold tickets to 3 shows. And have paid out the grand wazoo for those tickets. There are far too many other Stones songs that should be being played. I did have a little hope after the first 2 shows this tour might be different and the true Stones fan might walk away hearing more different songs if they attended several shows.

This has become the same thing over and over and over. And over and over.

The set list is for the guy that brings his young kids just to say they saw the Stones. Maybe get a selfie of him and his kids with Mick in the back ground ( I see it happen)

I get excited each tour hoping just maybe....but in the end its just the same thing again.

Think about how people get all pumped up if they play one rare song.

They are a great live band. And when I am there I enjoy the hell out of it.

But it could be so much better.

These shows are for the people that just want to say they saw the Stones or have money to burn.

I love the Stones but kinda wish I did not buy my Miami tickets / air / hotels.

If there is a next time I will not jump on the band wagon. I'll purchase one show at a time and not load the boat.

Ok everyone ....hate on me. I don't care. I just want to see the band that I fell in love with in the 80's and 90's one more time. A band that took risk.

Date: July 24, 2019 17:08

Monsoon Ragoon
Stoneage

I second that. And yes, You Got Me Rocking is obviously not a classic song, but it works in every stadium (although maybe 95 % of the audience never heard the song before). Our problem is: we want to hear "strange" songs like Mercy Mercy, which do not really "add energy". Mick Jagger prefers concerts with a high energy level. That's the conflict.

No,the conflict is that Jagger insists on performing the same songs every time.

"I Go Wild" works in a stadium and has a high energy level but,they play "You Got Me Rocking" time and again.

These 2 should be easily interchangeable.

Just some examples. They have plenty more songs to choose from of all types. It's not just 18 songs with energy and 550 "strange" songs without any energy.

Date: July 24, 2019 17:13

jumpontopofmebaby
keefriff99
Monsoon Ragoon
Green Lady
1 Street Fighting Man
2 You Got Me Rocking
3 Tumbling Dice
4 Bitch (Vote song)
5 YCAGWYW
6 Angie (B Stage)
7 Dead Flowers (B Stage)
8 Sympathy For The Devil
9 Honky Tonk Women
- Band intros -
10 Slipping Away (Keith)
12 Miss You
13 Midnight Rambler
14 Paint it Black
15 Gimme shelter
16 Start Me Up
17 JJF
- Band off stage -
18 Brown Sugar
19 Satisfaction

I refuse to drink the purple kool aid and say or think wow...they are 75 plus years old we should just be happy they are playing. I am a hard core Stones fan. I hold tickets to 3 shows. And have paid out the grand wazoo for those tickets. There are far too many other Stones songs that should be being played. I did have a little hope after the first 2 shows this tour might be different and the true Stones fan might walk away hearing more different songs if they attended several shows.

This has become the same thing over and over and over. And over and over.

The set list is for the guy that brings his young kids just to say they saw the Stones. Maybe get a selfie of him and his kids with Mick in the back ground ( I see it happen)

I get excited each tour hoping just maybe....but in the end its just the same thing again.

Think about how people get all pumped up if they play one rare song.

They are a great live band. And when I am there I enjoy the hell out of it.

But it could be so much better.

These shows are for the people that just want to say they saw the Stones or have money to burn.

I love the Stones but kinda wish I did not buy my Miami tickets / air / hotels.

If there is a next time I will not jump on the band wagon. I'll purchase one show at a time and not load the boat.

Ok everyone ....hate on me. I don't care. I just want to see the band that I fell in love with in the 80's and 90's one more time. A band that took risk.

Well said. My opinion is exactly the same. - And regarding Miami: I'm pretty sure the Miami setlist in April would have been much more interesting than it will be in August. (And the show would have been longer.) But it can't get worse than Philly (I hope). The problem is not really new: just compare the Leipzig (June) and Zurich (October) 2003 setlists (which I attended) for instance: Leipzig had an unbelievable great setlist (especially considering there were more people attending than many stadiums hold); Zurich was a boring Greatest Hits show, although the audience was much smaller, with Mannish Boy being the only highlight (if I remember correctly).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 17:23 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: July 24, 2019 17:14

slewan
Monsoon Ragoon
Green Lady
1 Street Fighting Man
2 You Got Me Rocking
3 Tumbling Dice
4 Bitch (Vote song)
5 YCAGWYW
6 Angie (B Stage)
7 Dead Flowers (B Stage)
8 Sympathy For The Devil
9 Honky Tonk Women
- Band intros -
10 Slipping Away (Keith)
12 Miss You
13 Midnight Rambler
14 Paint it Black
15 Gimme shelter
16 Start Me Up
17 JJF
- Band off stage -
18 Brown Sugar
19 Satisfaction

well, at least last year's UK/Europe leg of the tour saw much more variation in the setlist

At least the beginning of the 2018 tour was okay. But they played boring setlists towards the end (Like A Rolling Stone...). The only good things to say about the 2019 tour so far: the beginning was better than expected, and: they didn't play LARS until now, not really a bad, but nevertheless embarrassing song, They reworked the classic Dylan song into a sort of "Ballermann" kind of thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 17:32 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home