Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Is 2019 last of THE ROLLING STONES
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 23, 2019 18:04

They'd maybe have been doing that for years by now...if only they hadn't remained so bloody popular. [And a few folks around here might have been happier with that.]

It's something I've perhaps repeated too often on these pages... but in some respects the Stones really are victims of their own success.

...and didn't Keith once say that the only problem with being "the greatest Rock n Roll band in the world" is that you have to keep being it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-23 18:10 by Spud.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 23, 2019 18:29

I have been/ am a huge fan since 1965 and traveled all over Australia whenever they tour down here. SAT ON THE EDGE of the stage at The Enmore Sydney Licks show in 2003. Front row Adelaide in 2014. Saw them in LA in 75. First date with my ,still, wife at the WACA in Perth in 1973.

I LOVE THE STONES. They've provided me with the soundtrack to my life and I've just hit 65.

But, if they cannot get a new album out of new material this year, and persist in playing a golden oldies show night in, night out, they should either take up a residency in Vegas (and I HATE that sort of thing - to me that's a circus act), or they should just retire. And IT PAINS ME TO SAY THAT. I rather they went out gracefully and with dignity, than to just peter out.

Rod

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 23, 2019 18:41

bitusa2012
I have been/ am a huge fan since 1965 and traveled all over Australia whenever they tour down here. SAT ON THE EDGE of the stage at The Enmore Sydney Licks show in 2003. Front row Adelaide in 2014. Saw them in LA in 75. First date with my ,still, wife at the WACA in Perth in 1973.

I LOVE THE STONES. They've provided me with the soundtrack to my life and I've just hit 65.

But, if they cannot get a new album out of new material this year, and persist in playing a golden oldies show night in, night out, they should either take up a residency in Vegas (and I HATE that sort of thing - to me that's a circus act), or they should just retire. And IT PAINS ME TO SAY THAT. I rather they went out gracefully and with dignity, than to just peter out.

No chance: Pete Townshend once asked the Stones NOT to get out gracefully. "It wouldn't suit you".
For the pessimists: Maybe Mick already announced the title of the next tour, following No Filter, many decades ago during a concert in Germany (?):
"Let's get the f*ck out of here".
smileys with beer

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 23, 2019 18:55

It ain't over until the new album comes out in 2022, and even then I wouldn't bet on them calling it quits...they might have another album in 2026.
Maybe a mini-tour of the US in 2022, and maybe a 10 night residency over a two month period at Royal Albert Hall in 2026...The Grand Farewell.
The reality is, no one knows.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 23, 2019 19:00

2026, 2036, 2046 eye rolling smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 23, 2019 19:12

We don’t know what will happen after the end of the tour, we’re trying to finish the new album”
“Well, I always enjoy [touring], says Mick Jagger, it’s always fun. You do a lot of repeats of places you’ve played, but I always enjoy going to somewhere, I’ve never been to Burl’s Creek. There’s quite often festivals there.”

“So many countries we haven’t played. We’ve only been to India once, we’ve only been to Africa once, so most of the time we stay on the tried and true, the same as everybody else. There’s lots of places on the planet we haven’t played. It doesn’t stop me from going there, but playing there is another thing.”

He said regarding touring at his age, “I don’t do it all the time, [like]12 months a year. When you’re young, that’s what you do. [Today I] spend three or four months on the road in a year and that seems to be quite a good balance. Even after the surgery, i feel quite the same as always”

~~

“We don’t know what will happen after the tour, we’re trying to finish the new album, maybe we’ll make it and I think it will definitely be the last of the Stones, so we’re trying to do a good job.

Keith, if it was for him, would always be on tour, like Dylan, but then he too gets tired. He often says it’s his last tour, but I have doubts about it. It is possible that if we don’t other big tours, we could perform in some spot festivals, as happened with Desert Trip, we’ll see”

[www.videomuzic.eu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-23 19:13 by Lien.

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: July 23, 2019 19:22

Willie Nelson still putting on great shows at 86 years old. Stones have a ways to go.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 23, 2019 19:24

"Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?"

Posted by: TurningToGold2 ()
Date: July 23, 2019 19:26

At the end of every show the big screens say "See you Soon." NOT "Never see you again."

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 23, 2019 19:32

They’ll carry-on until health dictates they can no-longer do so. I don’t believe they’ll announce the end ‘officially’ until one of them passes away.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 23, 2019 19:36

Just think:

John Mayall
Buddy Guy
ETC

Mick and Keith are mere spring chickens.

Date: July 23, 2019 19:38

We call that marketing.

TurningToGold2
At the end of every show the big screens say "See you Soon." NOT "Never see you again."

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 23, 2019 20:02

jlowe
Just think:

John Mayall
Buddy Guy
ETC

But the Rolling Stones are quite different: they’re a collective; not a solo-act whom only had to rely upon themselves.

Posted by: glimmertwinz ()
Date: July 23, 2019 20:30

No I can't see them giving up. In fact someone must have some idea about next year? Maybe a second US leg? Thoughts BV?

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 23, 2019 21:31

There is a thread called "new stones album in 2019" with 363 pages. Now yer talking about next year. There`s a monumental disappointment embedded to this, as far as I can see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-23 21:32 by noughties.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 23, 2019 21:36

Big Al
jlowe
Just think:

John Mayall
Buddy Guy
ETC

But the Rolling Stones are quite different: they’re a collective; not a solo-act whom only had to rely upon themselves.
Their live act is also predicated on a raucous, high-energy physical performance.

Mick and Keith were almost co-frontmen post '89, but now it's all down to Mick maintaining a level of physicality almost unheard of for a man his age.

Ronnie has energy but it's not nearly like watching Keith at his animated peak 1989-2005.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: July 23, 2019 21:47

glimmertwinz
No I can't see them giving up. In fact someone must have some idea about next year? Maybe a second US leg? Thoughts BV?

There has been a rumour about South America. But that's it.

Who knows. I would love Asia.

Date: July 23, 2019 22:04

According to Ronnie's new Inteview:
(The Sun, June 23 2019) [www.thesun.co.uk]

“We are at our peak health-wise when we’re playing together. Charlie, visibly perks up when we start playing together, he physically looks and feels better, we all do.

“It’s like a medicine. We don’t like to stop working. All being well, there’ll be a new album and a new tour.

“It will be great — but let’s get this one over with first.”

Also on Fox News

[www.foxnews.com]

Date: July 23, 2019 22:05

frankotero
Yes, this and the next 5 tours. Isn't that what Mick said at the B2B tour press conference?

It is exactly what was said and I remember thinking how ridiculous the comment was at the time.... I was wrong... Mick was right.

UNREAL.

I am very pleased that I was wrong!

Date: July 23, 2019 22:21

Reading Ronnie, all being well since 2005 so, and their last studio album.
Quite funny.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: July 24, 2019 02:58

Mick Jagger
we’re trying to finish the new album, maybe we’ll make it and I think it will definitely be the last of the Stones

Well, that's interesting. I don't anyone supposed they were going to keep churning out new material, but it's the first time any of them has said anything in so many words about wrapping it up.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 03:10

Send It To me
Bill Wyman said someday they'll be sitting on stools playing the blues, so maybe he's right
yes..well..I've seen that comment many times and used to believe it (or hope it would come true) but since they have no interest in including not even one blues number from B&L in the set....it was dropped no?...then the "Blues on Stools" scenario seems highly unlikely. I fervently hope I will be pleasantly proved wrong.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 03:12

All this talk of them being a working band. I just don't see it.

To me they are not a working band.

Or even, if we are totally honest, a touring band, anymore.

They are a show band.

They play, essentially, the same show, 14 times a year. 14x2 hours.. 28 hours work, plus a couple of odd hours sound checking and perhaps a real week of rehearsals. That's not a working band.

I get their age. I ain't far off their age. I go to work every day for a 42 hour week. That's their annual output, as, from what I tell, they hardly spend anytime working in the studio together anymore...

Rod

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 24, 2019 03:17

No reason why they can't carry on after this tour, pending good health (my mouth to God's ears).

Finish the new album which I feel will be great!

Then see what they want to do next.

Maybe tour, maybe a residency like others (Aerosmith, Elton John, etc.), record more solo LP's, it's all good.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 24, 2019 17:54

HopeYouGuessMyName
frankotero
Yes, this and the next 5 tours. Isn't that what Mick said at the B2B tour press conference?

It is exactly what was said and I remember thinking how ridiculous the comment was at the time.... I was wrong... Mick was right.

UNREAL.

I am very pleased that I was wrong!

It was actually Keith. He said in the BtB press conference in New York in August 1997. 22 years ago! And even he was wrong because they've done much more than 5 tours since then thumbs up.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 24, 2019 18:05

beachbreak
No reason why they can't carry on after this tour, pending good health (my mouth to God's ears).

Maybe tour, maybe a residency like others (Aerosmith, Elton John, etc.), record more solo LP's, it's all good.

I don't really need predictable (such as I Feel Like Playing) or boring solo albums (like Crosseyed Heart) which are far worse than Ronnie's albums between 1974 and 1992 or Keith's albums from 1988/1992.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 24, 2019 18:23

TurningToGold2

Mick said 'We'll see ya next year" after Satisfaction in whatever town that was in on STILL LIFE.

That was bullshit. They're fantastic at creating the illusion, visually or audioally, of keeping on.

Never stop? Ha.

Gonna stop. Soon. Think of the headlines the week Mick dies: JAGGER FINALLY STOPPED.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 24, 2019 18:30

bitusa2012
All this talk of them being a working band. I just don't see it.

To me they are not a working band.

Or even, if we are totally honest, a touring band, anymore.

They are a show band.

They play, essentially, the same show, 14 times a year. 14x2 hours.. 28 hours work, plus a couple of odd hours sound checking and perhaps a real week of rehearsals. That's not a working band.

I get their age. I ain't far off their age. I go to work every day for a 42 hour week. That's their annual output, as, from what I tell, they hardly spend anytime working in the studio together anymore...

I know what you mean. But touring a la The Rolling Stones in 2019 is not a 5 hours per rehearsal/tour week job I believe. On the other hand, yes, you're probably underpaid compared with the Stones.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 24, 2019 22:43

Cross Eyed Heart is a very good LP IMHO.

It grows on me the more I listen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-24 22:44 by beachbreak.

Date: July 24, 2019 22:53

Monsoon Ragoon
beachbreak

I don't really need predictable (such as I Feel Like Playing) or boring solo albums (like Crosseyed Heart) which are far worse than Ronnie's albums between 1974 and 1992 or Keith's albums from 1988/1992.

There's a simple solution: Don't buy them winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home