Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Is something up with Keith?
Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: July 20, 2019 21:15

I see people on IORR & facebook saying that something might be wrong with Keith. Some said he doesn't look like his normal self.

Also heard a rumor that he may have had some sort of flu bug for Chicago #1

I personally think his playing is the best it has been since they came back in 2012. I think he's moving around less in order to focus on delivering good guitar playing. Other than his usual "Keith senior moments", I think he's just fine.

What does everyone think?

Re: Is something up with Keith?
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 20, 2019 21:21

He is moving less and less since several years now, but it becomes more noticeable. For the sake of impression, he should go out on the catwalk at least for the opening chords. He did that last summer. Also a little more playing to the camera could do the trick of winning the crowd over, it's a stadium show and part of that is playing to the screens. From the looks of it, well, I played Shine A Light recently and have to say he already looked much older than he does now.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 20, 2019 21:44

I hope your thread won't turn into a speculation game...
it reminds of the US kremlinologists who'd watch every public appearance by Russian leaders and make spurious deductions about their health and well-being.

"Oh Yuri Andropov used to move much more last year. That's the sure sign sth is happening with him!" grinning smiley thumbs down

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:22

Yes obviously something is up with Keith, noticed it from the opening gig, but he's hanging in there and doing some great playing. Some aspects of his playing have improved, he's putting it all into the music, but of course we miss his movements, to some of us those moves where a bigger part of the show than Mick's moves.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:32

Yes, he's older and all that comes with it.

Yet, there he is still onstage doing his thing as best he can, just like always. smoking smiley

Date: July 20, 2019 22:36

There is something with Keith, he is 76 this year. Yes, he is a little bit slowing down, but that is just ageing and his sense for timing and riffing is perfectly ok.
Other than that, his playing is solid and sometimes great.
I enjoyed the videos from this tour including Keith solos and I saw Stones last year in Prague.
No need to worry, Keith is alright.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:41

Rather Keith playing guitar than posing and moving around.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 20, 2019 22:52

Age catches up with everyone,including Mick,Keith and Charlie.
Ronnie is the youngster, and can still move around pretty good for his age.
I am 67 now and have started to get problems with my legs, which slows me down a bit compared to about a year ago.
Something healthwise can slow anybody down a lot obviously,and can happen to anyone.
They all know they will have to call it a day sometime, but as long as they put on a show up to their usual standard, I think it is great that us fans can see The Rolling Stones play live on stage around the world. smileys with beer

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 20, 2019 23:12

What about the rumour/story he nearly died from the fall from the tree plus the arthritis. Personally I think Keef is one tough mother f-er that's probably not letting on how hard it is to continue being the guy we want him to be. This is my perspective on the issue. I mean think about Chuck Berry who I love, by this age he already wasn't playing so good. Maybe he didn't care I don't know.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: July 20, 2019 23:30

There's something up with Keith since the day he was born, man, hehehe ...

Date: July 20, 2019 23:32

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with aging and slowing down. His guitar playing has evolved and simplified over the years. No matter what, he delivers a great show every time.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 20, 2019 23:41

Is something up with Keith? Yes, he's aging...so do I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-22 03:15 by NICOS.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 21, 2019 03:28

This is not 1962 you know. They do still perform shows for two hours, while in 1962-1963 it was 25 minutes x 2 per day. Unlike Mick, Keith does not really have a break during these two hours (half a minute during Miss You don't really count).

We all get older every year. Also, it is hot in the US summer now, very hot, anyone may get tired in this heat.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: July 21, 2019 03:35

I thought he was great last night and listening to the audio playbacks of the couple videos I did ... I’d say he was better than Chicago which is par for KR on your as long as I’ve been seeing yours- and probably the same for every member if we put them under the Keith microscope - it’s the Stones, same ol, same ol, Thank God!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 21, 2019 03:39

The man has tremendous willpower and a good support system around him -- everyone from his wife and family to his guitar techs and his bandmates.
I am very impressed by how he is doing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 21, 2019 03:45

I heard he was quite inactive and mostly stayed to himself during the first Chicago show, and I was prepared to see for myself any "deterioration" for the Chicago #2.
Much to my surprise, he was nothing like I had read for the first show - he was smiling, animated, and moving from stage left to stage right...even prowling about by himself to the extreme stage extensions left and right.
Can't say much about the shows since then specifically, but have read that some shows he stays in his shell, while other times he appears closer to his old self as was the case with Chicago #2.
Looking forward to seeing them again soon in less than a month, and as always I'll be focusing on Mick, but even moreso Keith's playing and his overall stage presence.
It's probably a case of good days/bad days, and I think we all have those when it comes to work, but when your on stage in front of tens of thousands of people (and 76 yrs. old) , it becomes more pronounced and noticeable.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 21, 2019 04:20

As far as Chicago 1 goes, I think it was opening night and after Mick's procedure this tour and opening night was going to get even more attention than a typical tour opening night which always gets a ton of attention. I think Keith was there to do one thing-his job. And boy did he. Didnt stay to far from in front of Charlie. If you listen to the audio from Chi 1 those first 5 songs go at a blistering pace. I just think Keith is very focused like Charlie is. On a side note it was 57 degrees at show time for Chi 1. Cold, hurrixane threats, and now HOT summer heat. These boys are tough!

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 21, 2019 04:29

Well the ballrooms and smelly bordellos
And dressing rooms filled with parasites
On stage the band has got problems
They're a bag of nerves on first nights

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 21, 2019 10:47

He’s playing guitar onstage with The Rolling Stones,is there something more some of you would like?
Maybe a few pushups between songs,maybe stage dive into the crowd,what gives?

Seriously,it’s obvious they’ve gone back to the old way the band was before the stadium antics took over.
The band plays and Mick works the crowd,Ronnie doesn’t move around much either.it all looks very intentional.
That and the lack of guests is probably why the shows are so much better.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 21, 2019 11:15

Looking back on reviews from Licks, Bigger Bang and earlier. Here people often complain about too much moving around, too much kicking in the air and gesticulations, more focus on the playing were wanted.
Now it's no bullshitting,just focus on his playing. And now that is also wrong, for some of you.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: July 21, 2019 12:05

Out of interest whats his top 3 post tree fall gigs?

I mean in terms of his playing, which are his top3, where he absolutely nails it, plays it and pulls the band along rather than gets carried, reduces his riff playing to the barest of minimums, and looks like he doesn't know where he is?

This is meant in the best possible taste, i just wanna see some uber richards playing and performance. he still brings it, but which have been his best since he came back from the tree incident?

Date: July 21, 2019 12:17

Captainchaos

I mean in terms of his playing, which are his top3, where he absolutely nails it, plays it and pulls the band along rather than gets carried, reduces his riff playing to the barest of minimums, and looks like he doesn't know where he is?

This is meant in the best possible taste, i just wanna see some uber richards playing and performance. he still brings it, but which have been his best since he came back from the tree incident?

Of the shows I attended:

Oslo 2007
London I 2012
Roskilde 2014

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-21 12:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 21, 2019 12:53

Captainchaos

Düsseldorf 2014. Of all we have seen, it still remains THE show to be released on DVD. It disappeared from YT in full, which actually made me hopeful. Start Me Up is there, enjoy that: [www.youtube.com]

Date: July 21, 2019 12:55

It's the actual real riff animal right there

Date: July 21, 2019 12:57

[youtu.be] my favorite part at 1:51 that is more than riffing, it's a language with syntax

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 21, 2019 15:14

mtaylor
Rather Keith playing guitar than posing and moving around.

This^

I also loved Keith turning around to punch the air/crowd after the final bows in J'ville - like he knew they delivered a knock out punch.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 21, 2019 15:17

Also, it takes me a little longer to get over a Stones show than it used to!

And I don't Keith-out (get wasted) much anymore!

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: July 21, 2019 15:42

Captainchaos

Best gig I saw was Sydney 2014
Mick was getting over a cold after cancelling Hanging Rock.
Was a 3 song Keef set. Keef totally dominated, Mick was sensational and danced like it was the 60s.
Truly was a special night. A band covering for each other.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 21, 2019 15:51

Elmo Lewis
Also, it takes me a little longer to get over a Stones show than it used to!

And I don't Keith-out (get wasted) much anymore!

Yes. At 70 I can still put in a busy day or a late night, but I will get tired sooner, it will not be easy to put in another similar effort next day, and if a long time on my feet is involved, my back and my feet will start to ache. And I am in good health and don't have arthritis.
I get the feeling that Keith knows how much he can do, is using what he has left in the tank wisely, and isn't about to put in unnecessary effort on trips down the catwalk etc.
I know that if it's a good show with great music then I don't notice aching feet so much, and I'd bet it's the same on stage - if things are really cooking and the crowd is into it, you can forget the backache for a while!

Date: July 21, 2019 16:08

Just for the record I started this thread to hear people’s thoughts. I saw amateur fans saying “they are seriously concerned about him” which I think is a bunch of crap. So I want to hear what the real stones fans have to say!
My mom and dad have seen every version of the band and every tour since 1964. They think he’s doing great and an inspiration to everyone nearing their 70s

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1450
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home