Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: Jacksonville show 19-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 21, 2019 09:03

They perform at a slower tempo than in yesteryear and the gaps between songs are a little longer. I think the 19-20 song concert is about right, considering.

Re: Jacksonville show 19-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 21, 2019 10:23

Has anyone criticized a show they were actually at yet ?
It seems to be divided between the You Tube crowd complaining and the ones who actually went to the show almost running out of adjectives to say how great it was.
I can always tell when the Stones are killing it,other bands fans come here and start nitpicking.
Huge eye roll for the McCartney crowd,you have got to be kidding right? The chubby little fella would fall over and die 5 songs into the set if he tried doing what Mick does.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 21, 2019 10:31

lem motlow
Has anyone criticized a show they were actually at yet ?
It seems to be divided between the You Tube crowd complaining and the ones who actually went to the show almost running out of adjectives to say how great it was.
I can always tell when the Stones are killing it,other bands fans come here and start nitpicking.
Huge eye roll for the McCartney crowd,you have got to be kidding right? The chubby little fella would fall over and die 5 songs into the set if he tried doing what Mick does.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 21, 2019 10:38

I haven't seen any shows this year, my budget doesn't allow for the travel. But I can get that familiar sense of elation by watching them on youtube. When it clicks, I feel it. When it's plodding, I feel that too. I have experienced lackluster performances in person, two times. I felt terrible, defeated, as if my football team lost. That's what being a fan can do to you. With some distance over time, I look at it again and see hey, it wasn't all that bad. But being emotionally invested also includes disappointment. That is not nitpicking.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 21, 2019 10:55

Well crap,why didn’t you guys tell me You Tube was the same as being there,I could’ve saved a damn fortune.

Date: July 21, 2019 13:06

lem motlow
Well crap,why didn’t you guys tell me You Tube was the same as being there,I could’ve saved a damn fortune.

Now hold on, it was you who said that. Watching them on youtube is something I only resort to because I can't follow them around

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 21, 2019 14:42

Nikkei
lem motlow

Now hold on, it was you who said that. Watching them on youtube is something I only resort to because I can't follow them around

Yeah. You tube, scope, facebook streamed by those friendly at the venue and show is a good connection to the event. You sit in your bed/living room/elsewhere in the house in the middle of night and can listen and watch and groove and even sing along. It´s nice. It helps. It even gives you great moments.
But being there at the gig - well we don't have to mention the difference here.
We all know.
And those who are there can also have different opinions about the very same show.
Spending were they sit, how there mood is on that day, what kind of Stones is their Stones.
I try always not to react too much on every single opinion here.
Stil failing.
But I'm getting there.smiling smiley

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 21, 2019 16:06

In response to Lem, yeah sure I've been there and been disappointed, nothing has ever been the same since the 90's, no comparison now to the experience of seeing them live in their prime.
Cardiff 07' was terrible for instance, but for sure they are putting on some descent shows this year and last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-21 16:08 by stone4ever.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: July 21, 2019 17:06

Stone4ever is right in a way, but for me, the 90s didn’t compare to the 70s either, and 78 didn’t compare to 75, or 81 didn’t compare to...

All we can do is be thankful they’re still alive, relatively healthy and still a performing band that’s not in a place where Chuck was when I’d see him as he aged, as that would not be good.

Part of the beauty is the build up to the event, and like them, I also have changed, but it’s still great fun.

I do see the potential of future tours in how they look and sound on the B stage- they have a wonderful catalogue of material that is, or can be, played intimately or acoustically, and maybe in the round becomes that next tour.

Instead of relying on practicing languages or talking about whether the mayor or local football team did something, how about some stories about where and why we wrote this one?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-21 17:08 by MizzAmandaJonez.

Posted by: muncy23 ()
Date: July 21, 2019 17:10

Keith carried the show and was in great form. I was in Pit 2 and saw firsthand how tight the band was. Everything is hitting on all cylinders. The mix was perfect and Keith’s parts were turned up loud. He honestly led the band from start to finish with little to no mess ups. IORR was actually really good and didn’t slow this momentum of the show as I expected it would. Monkey Man was played brilliantly with Ronnie on slide and a beautiful screen-show on the stage. The second half the the show was the best for me as the really got the volume up and guitars very high in the mix (perfect sound) l. It was very impressive how they played all the songs in the second half. I like how they placed Gimme Shelter early in the second set.. It fits better there as Brown Sugar is s perfect start to the encore. Crowd was absolutely excellent. I find it hard to believe that there’s been a better show this tour..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-21 17:11 by muncy23.

Date: July 21, 2019 17:13

forsure
What an absolute blast. Great vibe in the city all day, crowd was so into it from the opening band right to the end of satisfaction. Great time on the floor raving dance party, smiles all around, young and old. I was so psyched to get monkey man. I could of sworn the screen on pit 2 said off my cloud? After last night I really want catch another show this tour.

I concur with your review. Band was in fire and crowd from front to very upper levels on their feet the whole night. What a show, crowd and day..

Date: July 21, 2019 18:15

MizzAmandaJonez
Stone4ever is right in a way, but for me, the 90s didn’t compare to the 70s either, and 78 didn’t compare to 75, or 81 didn’t compare to...

All we can do is be thankful they’re still alive, relatively healthy and still a performing band that’s not in a place where Chuck was when I’d see him as he aged, as that would not be good.

Part of the beauty is the build up to the event, and like them, I also have changed, but it’s still great fun.

I do see the potential of future tours in how they look and sound on the B stage- they have a wonderful catalogue of material that is, or can be, played intimately or acoustically, and maybe in the round becomes that next tour.

Instead of relying on practicing languages or talking about whether the mayor or local football team did something, how about some stories about where and why we wrote this one?

Yes I agree, the 70s were even better, but that was like another band in some respects, Taylor and the accompiining musicians were so different its like comparing oranges to apples as someone said about comparing the Stones to McCartney. Silly to compare 70's to 90's and what about the 80's the band were pretty much inactive during that period when Jagger refused to tour behind the albums in that period between 83' and 88' a time that surely would have been awesome with the amount of Coke being consumed back then , Stones musical energy is very well meshed with the consumption of Coke etc, maybe that would have been Keith's time to shine, who knows what Mick felt about being second fiddle to Keith on stage, better to skip those years and wait for the burn out.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 21, 2019 18:33

muncy23
Crowd was absolutely excellent. I find it hard to believe that there’s been a better show this tour..

While I wasn't there, it was apparent from watching online it was a fantastic show!
I'd give best show this tour (so far) to Chicago 2, which I also enjoyed from pit2. Seven setlist changes from Chicago 1, including Play With Fire and Sweet Virginia on B-stage.. fantastic show!! They are getting in a groove, likely have a couple more "best of tour" shows coming up cool smiley

Date: July 21, 2019 19:17

stone4ever
...that period between 83' and 88' a time that surely would have been awesome with the amount of Coke being consumed back then , Stones musical energy is very well meshed with the consumption of Coke etc, maybe that would have been Keith's time to shine...

Didn't you get to see Keith with the Winos back then? What else do you want man

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 21, 2019 19:35

muncy23
Keith carried the show and was in great form. I was in Pit 2 and saw firsthand how tight the band was. Everything is hitting on all cylinders. The mix was perfect and Keith’s parts were turned up loud. He honestly led the band from start to finish with little to no mess ups. IORR was actually really good and didn’t slow this momentum of the show as I expected it would. Monkey Man was played brilliantly with Ronnie on slide and a beautiful screen-show on the stage. The second half the the show was the best for me as the really got the volume up and guitars very high in the mix (perfect sound) l. It was very impressive how they played all the songs in the second half. I like how they placed Gimme Shelter early in the second set.. It fits better there as Brown Sugar is s perfect start to the encore. Crowd was absolutely excellent. I find it hard to believe that there’s been a better show this tour..

Don't worry, the next one will be...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 21, 2019 20:07

Nikkei
stone4ever
...that period between 83' and 88' a time that surely would have been awesome with the amount of Coke being consumed back then , Stones musical energy is very well meshed with the consumption of Coke etc, maybe that would have been Keith's time to shine...

Didn't you get to see Keith with the Winos back then? What else do you want man

Yes i did, it was incredible but that was 88' and 93’, nothing from Keith or the Stones live between 82' to 88’.
Think of 62' to 68' that's a lot of time missed , we would have seen a larger than life on fire well oiled Keith from 82' to 88' the tiny glimpses we did see at Smile Jamaica with U2 and the playing we saw at Chuck Berry's 60th bash give a taster to what might have been. Forget 78’ and 81’ Keith was improving in those 6 inactive years.

Date: July 21, 2019 20:26

Yeah but you could also argue that we only have the post '89 Stones because they went through that slope before. Imagine they did the Dirty Work tour and split for good... or killed each other... or died from overdose. No use in crying over spilled milk.

Date: July 21, 2019 20:29

When we watch the Stones these days there is this nice feeling of would be brotherhood between Mick Keith and Ronnie, its so enjoyable to watch, they have this look as if to say that we made it boys, all that suicidal decedent behavior that has preseeded them has a different flavour now, its as if there was some kind of purity to their debauchery and addictions, they have this air of invincibility about them, it continues, just look at Mick with replaced heart valves going out there doing his thing as if time doesn't attach itself to him, Ronnie the same post cancer, just unbelievable,,long may it continue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-21 22:07 by stone4ever.

Date: July 21, 2019 20:41

since you mentioned the time frame '62-'68 I just had the idea that time in Stones sense is like a bubblegum. They're continuously stretching that out. While albums became fewer and far in between, tours got ever longer and more drawn out. Four years in the 00s, closing in on seven in this decade. And while the thing hangs close to the floor now, it still holds together.

Date: July 21, 2019 20:42

OK that was probably rubbish. I'll go listen to the Jacksonville show

Posted by: UNCSTONE ()
Date: July 21, 2019 20:43

RE: Wild Horses...They played it during sound check....bet that hits the acoustic stage soon. It sounded AMAZING! All Down the Line was played as well and that sounded great, too. ALl the other sound check songs were played at the show.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 21, 2019 20:56

UNCSTONE
RE: Wild Horses...They played it during sound check....bet that hits the acoustic stage soon. It sounded AMAZING! All Down the Line was played as well and that sounded great, too. ALl the other sound check songs were played at the show.

Great to hear!!

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: July 21, 2019 22:16

I miss All Down the Line, it's such a great song. Should be played at every show.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: July 22, 2019 05:34

I was there. Keith looked genuinely worried for a second. I was too. I hadn’t seen Mick doing that ever.

Date: July 22, 2019 11:11

ManuelStones
I was there. Keith looked genuinely worried for a second. I was too. I hadn’t seen Mick doing that ever.

Might have been Mick playfully getting back at Keith for the previous Rambler when Keith playfully restarted the riff , they are just having fun up there, little in jokes with each other, its so nice to see them getting along. Bodes well for the album completion.

Date: July 22, 2019 17:18

One of the best sounding JJF in years, great guitars.
[youtu.be]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 22, 2019 17:19

Best version since 1989 and even 1973 !!! IMO.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-22 17:52 by powerage78.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: July 22, 2019 18:50

Do the boys themselves do sound check? Numerous bands have their techs do sound check after the first show or two. Just curious.

Date: July 22, 2019 19:03

stone4ever
[youtu.be]

Do a comparison with JJF from SAL (before the head injury), and we all will find that Keith is fine smiling smiley

Date: July 22, 2019 20:15

stone4ever
[youtu.be]

It was, the sound was amazing on this one and he absolutely nailed the intro with authority. Sounded so great

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1872
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home