Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: New solo album Ronnie Wood
Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: September 11, 2019 06:55

It’s a tribute record. Do you understand how that concept works????

Hairball
Might have been better had it been a covers album of multiple artists ala Blue and Lonesome.
As it is, a bit one dimensional and really unnecessary when you can listen to the superior originals, though I'm sure it's a nice souvenir for those who were in attendance.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 11, 2019 06:57

mpj200
It’s a tribute record. Do you understand how that concept works????

Hairball
Might have been better had it been a covers album of multiple artists ala Blue and Lonesome.
As it is, a bit one dimensional and really unnecessary when you can listen to the superior originals, though I'm sure it's a nice souvenir for those who were in attendance.

Yes of course, was just adding my perspective as to why it might not have been a great choice and/or why it doesn't work for me.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 11, 2019 18:48

Hairball
... a bit one dimensional and really unnecessary when you can listen to the superior originals ...

It's not out yet, no way to tell if the originals are superior ... unless you have listened to the bootleg that is supposedly out there.

Date: September 11, 2019 19:24

<.. a bit one dimensional and really unnecessary when you can listen to the superior originals ...>

I don't understand this. Ronnie and Ben have their own playing styles. I'd like to hear their interpretations, with the sounds they are making.

That can never be unnecessary, unless you don't like those musicians.

Date: September 11, 2019 19:25

LeonidP
Hairball
... a bit one dimensional and really unnecessary when you can listen to the superior originals ...

It's not out yet, no way to tell if the originals are superior ....

True, but based on the pre-released video of Talking About You, along with some instinct and good old common sense, something tells me that Chuck will always be the King.
To think otherwise would be unrealistic, but to be fair I'll listen to it when it's free on youtube and will give a full review. Hats off to Ronnie for keeping busy.

Date: September 11, 2019 19:28

micawber
Won't buy that shit.
Just embarrassing.

I wouldn't go that far to say it's "embarrassing" as I'm sure there's some redeeming qualities to the album as a whole (especially if you were in attendance), but I won't be buying it either.

Date: September 11, 2019 19:31

DandelionPowderman
That can never be unnecessary, unless you don't like those musicians.

You can still like the musicians, but you don't have to like everything they play.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:41

At least woody celebrates chuck. You think mick and Keith would have on the tour.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 11, 2019 19:43

Does it compare to Chuck's Chess recording? Of course not. That was Chuck in his prime with an amazing band.

Does it compare to the version the Stones cut 54 years ago? Of course not, they were in their early twenties and on fire.

Are the vocals rough? Yes, Ronnie's vocals are often rough.

That aside, I thought Ronnie's playing (though I suspect it was touched up a bit in the studio) was pretty impressive overall. I look forward to hearing the whole album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-11 19:44 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: September 11, 2019 21:03

micawber
Won't buy that shit.
Just embarrassing.
He wouldn't have released that if Chuck would be still alive.
Big lack of creativity all around the Stonesangry smiley

Wow man! Pretty rough on Ronnie aren't we? I'll be picking up a copy for certain. Talking about you had my toe tapping.

CBII

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 12, 2019 01:51

I'm really looking forward to his Chuck Berry tribute LP - first track sounds good (Talkin' 'bout you)

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 12, 2019 02:11

Saw Ronnie and Chuck at The Ritz many years ago. It was...interesting. The boot is terrible quality, unfortunately. Good on Ronnie for keeping the juices flowing and giving Chuck's material a fresh perspective.

Date: September 12, 2019 02:58

I saw Ronnie and Bo Diddley w/a brief appearance by Chuck at Irvine Meadows Ampitheater in 1985 , along with John Mayall, Mick Fleetwood, Carl Wilson, Mitch Mitchell and several others.
Not a very memorable concert by any means (too many cooks in the kitchen), but also partially due to all the partying we did back in those days.

From Record Collector - Chuck Berry & Bo Diddley’s - Rock’n’Roll All-Star Jam

"...Chuck Berry only actually appears on two full songs – one of which, unfortunately for all Berry purists, is a rendition of the risible My Ding-A-Ling." eye rolling smiley

On the other hand, saw Chuck headline a show at the Santa Monica Civic around the same time, and it was one of the most memorable shows I've ever attended.
That also could have been due to all the partying we did back in those days ha... seeing Chuck front and center was a sight to behold.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 12, 2019 04:03

At the Ritz show I was at, Chuck introduced Ronnie as "Keith Richards!!!"

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: September 12, 2019 15:08

I wonder who the other two artists are that Ronnie plans to cover for this trilogy.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 12, 2019 21:12

This is a tribute album to C. Berry, no desire to be "superior" to the original, but just a lot of fun!
Music is not a competition, but it is also nice to listen to alternative versions, especially when they are played by artists who owe everything to these great masters of rock'n roll and blues.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 13, 2019 00:02

Dark Horse 77
I wonder who the other two artists are that Ronnie plans to cover for this trilogy.

most likely Jimmy Reed because this doesn't mean any extra work for him => [www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 13, 2019 00:49

It's just a tribute album ….
Dylan's been doin the same for the last 4-5 years ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: September 13, 2019 00:49

Testify
This is a tribute album to C. Berry, no desire to be "superior" to the original, but just a lot of fun!
Music is not a competition, but it is also nice to listen to alternative versions, especially when they are played by artists who owe everything to these great masters of rock'n roll and blues.
Precisely

Satisfied since 1976

Date: September 13, 2019 03:16

Rockman
It's just a tribute album ….
Dylan's been doin the same for the last 4-5 years ….

True enough, and the results speak for themselves.
Probably the nadir of his entire recording career depending on who you ask, though some diehards still like them just because it's Dylan.

Again, hats off to Ronnie for keeping busy, and cheers to those who want to have "fun" listening to his tribute.
(...as if there aren't enough Chuck Berry covers tunes in the world already....)

On the bright side, I'm sure he'll sell a handful of albums to help pay for his art supplies and/or some lessons.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 13, 2019 03:49

To my ears, the nadir of his solo catalog is NOT FOR BEGINNERS.

Date: September 13, 2019 03:56

though some diehards still like them just because it's Dylan.

I hang around with two of the biggest Dylan and
Neil Young fans in the world and they've both told
me that they cant listen to anything from either artist from the last 10 years ….

ROCKMAN

Date: September 13, 2019 03:58

PS: …. and I remember laughin and askin
the both of them can I get that in writing for future use ….

ROCKMAN

Date: September 13, 2019 04:01

Can't really blame them Rockman, though there are a few gems from Neil sprinkled throughout the last decade - namely on the Psychedelic Pill album w/Crazy Horse (2012).

Date: September 13, 2019 04:25

…….. Yeah I knew there was something wrong ….
when Mr Zimmerman's interviews were way more interesting than the albums he was aputtin' out

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 13, 2019 07:47

He put out a fckng Chuck Berry covers album? Geezuz Christ on a stick, next thing you know he’ll be trying to sell us drawings of his bandmates hands.

I’m a big Ronnie fan but I think he could use a manager right about now.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 13, 2019 08:43

Rockman
though some diehards still like them just because it's Dylan.

I hang around with two of the biggest Dylan and
Neil Young fans in the world and they've both told
me that they cant listen to anything from either artist from the last 10 years ….

well, I rather like 'Shadows in the night'. For me it made Sinatra songs listenable for the first time. Like Dylan said in an interview he rather uncovered than covered these songs. He took all the rubbish (grand orchester, violins etc.) away and carefully rearranged to songs. And if you listen to his new versions of Don't Think Twice, Girl From The North County and Boots of Spanish Leather it's easy to see how much he learnt for his phrasing from his Sinatra era

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 13, 2019 16:26

lem motlow
He put out a fckng Chuck Berry covers album? Geezuz Christ on a stick, next thing you know he’ll be trying to sell us drawings of his bandmates hands.

I’m a big Ronnie fan but I think he could use a manager right about now.

Umm, yes, can't say it any better than this:

Testify

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: September 13, 2019 16:57

Its just unused recordings of his Berry Tribute show ! Nothing we are been waitin for !

Still his first is the Best !!

Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: September 17, 2019 14:22

Testify

I agree! Ronnie is a great rock n roll guitarist who honors the music of the greatest rock n roll icon in the history of this music. Let's tap our toes and celebrate!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home