Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones - interview Andre Heller Ö3 Radio (1968)
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: July 18, 2019 00:43

Cool stuff! Brian talks high of Lennon/McCartney, Taj Mahal, Otis Redding on this interview.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-18 00:47 by DiamondDog7.

Re: Brian Jones - interview Andre Heller Ö3 Radio (1968)
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 18, 2019 00:59

Always the coolest Stone.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 18, 2019 02:24

DiamondDog7
Cool stuff! Brian talks high of Lennon/McCartney, Taj Mahal, Otis Redding

Yeah, I’m sure he was high smoking smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 18, 2019 04:35

His accent seems incredibly dated to my (English) ears.

I'd be interested in hearing what other Brits here (Deltics? JLOWE?) think.

Did we all sound like Prince Phillip in 1968?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 18, 2019 08:25

Brian was well-spoken, certainly. His accent is fairly neutral, I think. Keith, being from the south-east, has more of a Thames estuary accent. Mick, being from more of a middle-class background, has a - or did - slightly more refined accent. His ‘mockney’ on stage was ridiculous, though.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 18, 2019 15:22

CaptainCorella
His accent seems incredibly dated to my (English) ears.

I'd be interested in hearing what other Brits here (Deltics? JLOWE?) think.

Did we all sound like Prince Phillip in 1968?

Brian always seemed very thoughtful and deliberate in interviews. It's possible his accent was exaggerated for effect. But then Mick and Keith both put on accents (or are acting 'the part'). You need to listen to Bill and Charlie to hear genuine and unaffected London accents.
I dont know if the same thing has happened in the States but in the UK accents seem have less attention than in, say pre 1960. Just listen to old footage of UK politicians...they really do belong to another time. I guess lots of things have happened to make the change happen. People are much more mobile (jobwise) than before; the increase in University and further education, immigration, the media.The Swinging Sixties and prior to that the 'New Wave' English cinema in the 60s where films were actually made about 'the day to day lives of the working class'. People of my childrens generation are unaware of how narrow films were in some respects, before then. Many Actors had 'cut glass ' accents, I think the term was. And went to RADA.
It is an interesting topic, compare the accents of Brian Epstein and the Beatles. Yet all spent their first 20 years or so within 5 miles of each other.
The old classifications of Upper/Middle/Lower working class are disappearing. It's now an income and wealth divide. But that's another issue.

Wish there was more archive material of Brian. Before his health deteriorated he would gave been a good interviewee with interesting views on a range of subjects, I suspect.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 18, 2019 15:51

His accent is beautiful. Brian Jones might have done mistakes in his life. Yet it is sad, that he died so young.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 19, 2019 01:50

It's very hard to understand. Wish the caption option was available on this one.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 19, 2019 13:01

Brian came from a middle-class family in Cheltenham, which was then a famously "posh" area, and he was a well educated boy, so his accent isn't surprising - and unlike Mick he didn't feel the need to dirty it down to improve his street credibility. He's being nice and polite to the interviewer so that probably makes him sound more cut-glass.

No, we didn't all sound like Prince Philip - Bill is a true Cockney, whereas Charlie and Ronnie have West London voices like me and my family. But if you wanted to sound respectable, you needed to take your accent upmarket a bit for things like job interviews.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: July 19, 2019 13:45

Newly released unique pictures of Brian's family at home in 1964

[www.gettyimages.nl]

[www.gettyimages.nl]

[www.gettyimages.nl]

Date: July 19, 2019 13:53

Looks like Brian's dad knew how to play. Nice finger position smiling smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 19, 2019 13:57

Green Lady
Brian came from a middle-class family in Cheltenham, which was then a famously "posh" area, and he was a well educated boy, so his accent isn't surprising - and unlike Mick he didn't feel the need to dirty it down to improve his street credibility. He's being nice and polite to the interviewer so that probably makes him sound more cut-glass.

No, we didn't all sound like Prince Philip - Bill is a true Cockney, whereas Charlie and Ronnie have West London voices like me and my family. But if you wanted to sound respectable, you needed to take your accent upmarket a bit for things like job interviews.

And that's just one city, albeit the capital. 85% of the UK live elsewhere. There's a vast array of different accents throughout England and the other 3 nations of the UK, with variations of posh to not-so-posh within each. Accents can change very noticeably over short distances e.g. Liverpool and Manchester & Glasgow and Edinburgh, both pairs of cities just 45 miles apart.

Date: July 19, 2019 15:30

Bill is from Penge, south-east London. A ‘true cockney’ is supposedly born in earshot of Bow Bells; which is east London, obviously.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 19, 2019 15:52

Big Al
Bill is from Penge, south-east London. A ‘true cockney’ is supposedly born in earshot of Bow Bells; which is east London, obviously.

Agree. He doesn't sound like a cockney to me. Not in the Eric Bristow/Chas & Dave sense winking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 19, 2019 19:04

grzegorz67
Big Al

Agree. He doesn't sound like a cockney to me. Not in the Eric Bristow/Chas & Dave sense winking smiley

I am probably an old cynic, but it often seems that celebs, as above, seem to exaggerate their accent, for effect.
As if they want to over emphasise their roots.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: July 19, 2019 20:03

Keith Moon was the master in disguising his real accent. Anyone ever heard an interview with him where he does NOT pretend to sound posh?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-19 20:05 by Milan.

Date: July 19, 2019 20:36

Jagger&Richards made the songs and Bill&Charlie built the path for them. But despite so every time I hear Brian (regadless his behaviour towards other people) he seems the most brilliant of the band. By far. Other level.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 19, 2019 21:08

emotionalbarbecue
Jagger&Richards made the songs and Bill&Charlie built the path for them. But despite so every time I hear Brian (regadless his behaviour towards other people) he seems the most brilliant of the band. By far. Other level.

I would say Jagger but okay. At least we got the word brilliant in there.

Date: July 19, 2019 22:48

Milan
Keith Moon was the master in disguising his real accent. Anyone ever heard an interview with him where he does NOT pretend to sound posh?

Absolutely. I find his interviews hilarious!

Date: July 20, 2019 09:28

paulspendel
Newly released unique pictures of Brian's family at home in 1964

[www.gettyimages.nl]

[www.gettyimages.nl]

[www.gettyimages.nl]

Thank you. Interesting, but what idiot would pay hundreds of dollars for a photo of Brian's parents, without Brian!

Date: July 20, 2019 10:07

You’d be surprised if you didn’t have such a limited view. There’s a niche outthere of very wealthy collectioneurs. Like the chap who buys Brian’s guitars. They don’t post on boards, but silently buy stuff, take it home and just look at it. Like Charlie looks at his old timers he can’t drive. The ones you call idiots.

Date: July 20, 2019 17:25

paulspendel
You’d be surprised if you didn’t have such a limited view. There’s a niche outthere of very wealthy collectioneurs. Like the chap who buys Brian’s guitars. They don’t post on boards, but silently buy stuff, take it home and just look at it. Like Charlie looks at his old timers he can’t drive. The ones you call idiots.

I call them that for a reason. They are idiots. And my view is Panoramic, including the niche of idiots.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 21, 2019 12:08

24FPS
paulspendel

I call them that for a reason. They are idiots. And my view is Panoramic, including the niche of idiots.

grinning smiley

Date: July 21, 2019 20:52

So the UK collector who buys Brian’s guitars is an idiot for doing so? One of the persons you called an idiot basically delivered 50% of the items for that Stones museum road show. All idiots, yes. Just like William Perks from Peckham who still buys stuff back. And Mr Jagger who bought the tapes back of the first recordings of Little Boy Blue. All idiots too. Wonder what you will say when you learn who is currently selling photos of Brian lying next to the pool after the 1969 incident.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 21, 2019 23:22

paulspendel
So the UK collector who buys Brian’s guitars is an idiot for doing so? One of the persons you called an idiot basically delivered 50% of the items for that Stones museum road show. All idiots, yes. Just like William Perks from Peckham who still buys stuff back. And Mr Jagger who bought the tapes back of the first recordings of Little Boy Blue. All idiots too. Wonder what you will say when you learn who is currently selling photos of Brian lying next to the pool after the 1969 incident.

Please, more info!! I know from previous posts you've done a lot of research on Brian!

Date: July 22, 2019 04:54

paulspendel

At least it would be Brian, and I really wouldn't want to see it. I think only idiots would pay $499 for a picture of Brian's freakin' parents. You seem unable to distinguish the difference.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 24, 2019 23:00

paulspendel
Wonder what you will say when you learn who is currently selling photos of Brian lying next to the pool after the 1969 incident.

Erk.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1928
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home