Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 17, 2019 16:36

swaff
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
Has anyone else noticed that Keith's fingers are WAY less swollen than they used to be? He must be doing some new type of treatment.

It's called A LOT LESS ALCOHOL.

I need to take note.

I had a similar issue a few years ago. When I stopped drinking as much beer and rum (and at one point stopped completely drinking) my fingers stopped hurting as much and the swelling was much less.

I still have it, it's just much easier to deal with now.

Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: July 17, 2019 16:38

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
Has anyone else noticed that Keith's fingers are WAY less swollen than they used to be? He must be doing some new type of treatment.

Ehh, I don't see the connection. Yeah, his overall health is doubtless improved by cutting back on booze, but that's not going to suddenly make his fingers heal up.

Those big, marble-sized nodes in his highest knuckles just seemed much less pronounced.

Alcohol is an inflammatory. Arthritis is inflamed joints etc. Less alcohol, less inflammation.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 17, 2019 16:39

GasLightStreet
swaff
GasLightStreet
keefriff99

I need to take note.

I had a similar issue a few years ago. When I stopped drinking as much beer and rum (and at one point stopped completely drinking) my fingers stopped hurting as much and the swelling was much less.

I get that...it'll definitely reduce inflammation, but Keith's finger issues go well beyond that I'd think.

Date: July 17, 2019 16:44

Green Lady
I'm not usually counting songs, but I noticed the absence of SFM early on, and wondered if they might do it later. But they went off like an express train with JJF/LSTNT/TD, and JJF just had to be the opener in the high of having dodged the hurricane and made it to the Superdome at last. So far so good. Sad Sad Sad was fine but it's less well known, and then the steam seemed to go out of things with Under My Thumb and the even slower Can't Always Get. Whether that was the band or the crowd, I don't know.
Even by scope I noticed Mick doing a lot of supping from a mug of something. Several people have commented how humid it was outside: had they turned up the aircon inside to compensate and made it extra dry?
Nice to get Angie on the B stage, but apart from Play With Fire we haven't (so far) had any nice surprises there, just familiar songs in a different location. Ronnie was good on Dead Flowers, as he was all evening. Keith was just...concentrating. And when they got to the warhorses later on and his guitar was up loud, it paid off. Sometimes you know why the warhorses need to be played.
GasLightStreet said "underwhelming". It was a very good show and there wasn't anything to complain of (unless you are a number-of-songs obsessive), but there was this feeling around that in the circumstances it might have turned out to be a truly great one - and it didn't.

PS: Cold nor no cold, Mick was great all evening - particularly enjoyed harp on Midnight Rambler.

I didn't notice the humidity that day to be as much but I live here and I love the humidity. When it's below 60% it feels dry. A great day is when it's in the high 80% low 90% range, and with tropical systems, it can be 100% - which is always in tandem with cooler temps, so it's humid but comfortable.

The AC was cranked in the Supe, which is usual, but they may've had it on whatever, full blast plus, or brought in extra condensers, because it was probably about 75F inside.

Date: July 17, 2019 16:49

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
swaff
GasLightStreet
keefriff99

I need to take note.

I get that...it'll definitely reduce inflammation, but Keith's finger issues go well beyond that I'd think.

Here's a little bit about Keith's condition, which I have as well as apparently some people here:

[www.medicalnewstoday.com]

Here is something about the link with chronic alcohol consumption:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 17, 2019 18:20

The Superdome was cold inside. I had my wool sweater as backup, and kept it on through the show. Show day Monday July 15 was the most humid day of all the eight days I spent in NOLA. The windows of my hotel were wet outside from the humidity, and aircondition inside. It stayed humid all day. I am super sensitive to humidity, and I could not stay outside in NOLA that day. That is why I stay close to venues, in case of humidity, rain etc. And of course comfort, less stress.

Bjornulf

Date: July 17, 2019 19:00

bv
The Superdome was cold inside. I had my wool sweater as backup, and kept it on through the show. Show day Monday July 15 was the most humid day of all the eight days I spent in NOLA. The windows of my hotel were wet outside from the humidity, and aircondition inside. It stayed humid all day. I am super sensitive to humidity, and I could not stay outside in NOLA that day. That is why I stay close to venues, in case of humidity, rain etc. And of course comfort, less stress.

Wow. We're exact opposites. I can't stand being in cold air conditioning! I love the heat and humidity.

For a majority of the year our humidity in southern Louisiana is 100% during the night. It varies during the day depending on sunshine, cloud cover, the season and if a front has come through or not. Generally it's humid, so when it's nice out (way less humidity, high pressure) I tend to ache a bit and feel like a dry rock.

Right now it's 84F with the humidity at 70% and the dew point at 77F, which gives a heat index of 94F.

Usually in the late morning through mid afternoon the humidity lowers as the heat rises. Lately the wind has been out of the Bahamas and off the Gulf Of Mexico so it carries a lot of moisture, which keeps the humidity and dew point up, which makes plants grow fantastically.

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: July 17, 2019 21:00

bv

Air conditioning is hell on vocal chords because it dries out the air, and collects all the ambient moisture. The dryness causes vocal chord irritation and extra mucus production, both bad. Probably why some were reporting a phlegmy, vocally cautious MJ monday night!

The Rolling Stones - New Orleans LA 15-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 17, 2019 21:29

Ivan Neville on opening for the Rolling Stones in New Orleans -- again: 'Cool as you could imagine'

BY KEITH SPERA | Jul 17, 2019

CHRIS GRAINGER

[www.nola.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 17, 2019 21:53

GasLightStreet
Here's a little bit about Keith's condition, which I have as well as apparently some people here:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Interesting. Thanks!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 18, 2019 00:40

Got home last night-

Drove down to NOLA on Friday thinking a tropical storm wasn’t gonna change things.
(Thanks to our GasLight Street for the real weather story all along)
Had a great time down in the Quarter,it wasn’t busy but the clubs that were open had sort unofficial hurricane parties going.
Staff at our Hotel and the rest of the locals were giving the media hype a huge eye roll.
I loved the cool temp in the dome,I was surprised they spent the money to keep in that cool.

I was in pit two and it’s the same as ever,funny as hell.there is plenty of room but 90% of the people push into the 2/3 of the area nearest the stage packed in
like sardines.
I couldn’t stop laughing,guys if you all moved over 15 feet it would be like a backyard barbecue.but they have to be as close to Mick as possible I guess.

As far as the actual show,I’ve always said about stadiums if you took 15 people
and put them in various places around the venue you’d get 15 opinions on the show,especially those old domes.

Up front it sounded really good,loud and clear.as far as the playing goes and the set and all that I’ve really left the critics section.
The Stones are what they are now,it’s an event and a party and a good reason for a road trip.
There’s gonna be some mistakes and you’re not gonna get any musical fireworks.
I WAS shocked at how little Keith and Ronnie moved around,it was very similar to the shows I saw in the 70s.
Keith stayed near Charlie then,either facing him or standing to his left between him and Bill and Ronnie would stay a little more up front than the Mick Taylor spot but basically stay put unless Mick was messing with him.
I like the return to form but it seemed odd after all these years.
The crowd on the street after the show seemed ecstatic,lots of laughing and smiling faces and really,Isn’t that what it’s all about?

I know it’s GasLights home field but I had that crowd estimated higher,at 45-50000.the floor was really open and configured with huge open areas but each level all the way up had a lot of people.
That’s a BIG place,Superdome indeed.

Date: July 18, 2019 01:21

lem motlow
Got home last night-

Drove down to NOLA on Friday thinking a tropical storm wasn’t gonna change things.
(Thanks to our GasLight Street for the real weather story all along)
Had a great time down in the Quarter,it wasn’t busy but the clubs that were open had sort unofficial hurricane parties going.
Staff at our Hotel and the rest of the locals were giving the media hype a huge eye roll.
I loved the cool temp in the dome,I was surprised they spent the money to keep in that cool.

I was in pit two and it’s the same as ever,funny as hell.there is plenty of room but 90% of the people push into the 2/3 of the area nearest the stage packed in
like sardines.
I couldn’t stop laughing,guys if you all moved over 15 feet it would be like a backyard barbecue.but they have to be as close to Mick as possible I guess.

As far as the actual show,I’ve always said about stadiums if you took 15 people
and put them in various places around the venue you’d get 15 opinions on the show,especially those old domes.

Up front it sounded really good,loud and clear.as far as the playing goes and the set and all that I’ve really left the critics section.
The Stones are what they are now,it’s an event and a party and a good reason for a road trip.
There’s gonna be some mistakes and you’re not gonna get any musical fireworks.
I WAS shocked at how little Keith and Ronnie moved around,it was very similar to the shows I saw in the 70s.
Keith stayed near Charlie then,either facing him or standing to his left between him and Bill and Ronnie would stay a little more up front than the Mick Taylor spot but basically stay put unless Mick was messing with him.
I like the return to form but it seemed odd after all these years.
The crowd on the street after the show seemed ecstatic,lots of laughing and smiling faces and really,Isn’t that what it’s all about?

I know it’s GasLights home field but I had that crowd estimated higher,at 45-50000.the floor was really open and configured with huge open areas but each level all the way up had a lot of people.
That’s a BIG place,Superdome indeed.

GasLightStreet
TornAndFried
How full was the Superdome? This show wasn't selling well from the start and after the hurricane scare I'm sure many people returned tickets.

By the second or third song it was full. Not sold out full but a lot more than were there for VOODOO LOUNGE.

The stage was roughly to the 50 yard line so I'm going to guess 35,000 tickets were available and it looked like about 32,000 showed up, which is impressive indeed considering how New Orleans treats these kinds of shows.

Good estimate. I'm assuming Gaslight was referring to location of the B-stage and his numbers were just off a bit:

Capacity is 75,000, which puts the capacity for the show at 55-60,000 including the floor, NOLA.com is reporting 40,000 attended from "various sources" whatever that means:NOLA Attendance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-18 01:23 by erbissell.

Date: July 18, 2019 02:11

keefriff99
GasLightStreet

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Interesting. Thanks!

Yeah mon! A while back, maybe ten years or so, ha ha, probably longer, it was talked about here. But it's not exactly a big interest, understandably, but there was talk about why Keith does the raunchy 3 note solos because of... his fingers.

Date: July 18, 2019 02:18

Based on recent shows, U2 especially, and how the Stones stage basically took up the same space, I figured about 35,000 since U2 had 34,536 available and 34,536 showed up, officially.

The Stones' stage isn't as big as their stage was so it makes sense, but it basically went out to the 50 yard line - a long ways away from 1978 and 1981 for sure. HALF the stadium was empty seat wise and of course, the stage.

We'll find out at the end of the tour I suppose.

Date: July 18, 2019 02:58

I’m guessing this wasn’t an iorrian...
video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 18, 2019 03:18

GasLightStreet
Based on recent shows, U2 especially, and how the Stones stage basically took up the same space, I figured about 35,000 since U2 had 34,536 available and 34,536 showed up, officially.

The Stones' stage isn't as big as their stage was so it makes sense, but it basically went out to the 50 yard line - a long ways away from 1978 and 1981 for sure. HALF the stadium was empty seat wise and of course, the stage.

We'll find out at the end of the tour I suppose.

Yeah,that could be.i May have overestimated because I thought we would walk into a nearly empty building,I’m surprised that’s all the tickets U2 sold.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 18, 2019 05:28

Here's what Mick Jagger, Rolling Stones bandmates did in New Orleans during Hurricane Barry
Watts was spotted at the New Orleans Jazz Museum, while Wood found time to check out Preservation Hall. Meanwhile, Jagger found his way to a restaurant in the French Quarter.
Watts, who was accompanied by Rolling Stones drum technician Don McAulay, was elegantly attired in a knee-length black jacket, black slacks and gray button-down shirt.
On Sunday night, Stones guitarist Ron Wood attended the late show at Preservation Hall, where he met Joe Lastie, a fourth-generation New Orleans drummer from the family of musicians featured in the Jazz Museum exhibit.
Meanwhile Rolling Stones front man Jagger reportedly made a brief stop on Friday evening at the Royal House restaurant on Royal Street, which was rather empty because of the impending storm.
Stevens said she recalls that Jagger’s hair was “kind of all wild.” He ordered Pinot Noir and sautéed crab claws, plus macaroni and cheese with fries for the child. He complimented the crab. She said he never identified himself, but when passersby said, “Hey Mick,” he would raise his head and smile.

Bjornulf

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 19, 2019 01:20

erbissell
GasLightStreet
muncy23
GasLightStreet
Sat at the top of the dome at the end (it's lower than the sides in terms of the football field), just to the left of the middle of the stage, and the sound was quite quiet up there so it was easy to hear everything.

They sounded good. Midnight Rambler was the best song of the night. Paint It Black had a very weird vibe to it - it was much slower, which works well, but it kind of oozed along. Ronnie was in fantastic form. The acoustic set was a bit rough, they kind of seem to lack confidence, although Angie was pretty good - Charlie even did the hi-hat flare. I know they don't but it wasn't exactly... I dunno. Maybe it was the crowd, which didn't seem to recognize either of Keith's songs or Sad Sad Sad (Mick said "This is one from STEEL WHEELS"). Keith didn't slaughter the Sad Sad Sad solo like he has been.

I was waiting for a good one though - and the encore delivered it: Keith botched the entire opening of Gimme Shelter. Throughout the show I noticed something I've heard in recent live videos - Charlie seems to not only miss some snare beats but there's a weird moving of the timing in some songs, almost like someone bumped the machine.

Overall it was underwhelming. Keith's Slipping Away was really nice - but too long. The mix was weird at times, Keith's guitar jumping way out over everything else in the mix during JJF and SFTD was hilarious. Matt Clifford needs to learn how to tune a French horn. That was awful.

With all due respect, it is hard to give an accurate review of how the band played when you sit in the rafters. I saw the live feed of JJF and its intentional the way they turn keith up and down during those songs. They have the best sound guys in the business and i think it sounds quite nice when they do that. Sounded very powerful.

I knew they were bumping Keith up - it was hilarious how much they did - it must've been about 50 dbs.

Keith also has a tendency to ride his own volume knob as he sees fit, with how clean and touch sensitive those Twin's are it can affect the volume a lot. I believe I remember an interview with him though where he said he rarely has it wide open, always backed down a bit.

Does anyone know who's mixing FOH this tour? Is it Dave Natale still? I know he was pretty good at constantly riding the faders without making it seem too obvious.

I was having a senior moment and couldn't match the face to the name until now.

Yes. The picture here [www.prosoundweb.com] matches the "audio guy" that told me he didn't have any more set-lists.

Posted by: happyAustin ()
Date: July 20, 2019 23:25

Well, my feet are finally getting close to the ground after a Fantastic show by The Rolling Stones in New Orleans!!
My 3rd time to see them in New Orleans...First in 1978, then in 1981 and now in 2019!
This was our First time to get Lucky Dip Tickets and Thanks to IORR for helping me find out when they went on sale at the end of May.
Also, I want to Thank IORR for the info on getting copies of the Set List...My Daughter scored one!!
We had Section D on the Floor!! OMG!!
My 19 Year Old Daughter is still talking about the show.
We will be in Houston, TX and Denver, CO for the shows there...I don't have Lucky Dips for these and that's OK...I've been to Heaven!!
I've been fortunate enough to see every US Tour since 1975 and 2 European show, Paris in 2017 and London in 2018...21 Shows Total!
Thanks Again Bjornulf!
It's Only Rock-n-Roll But I Like IT!

Billy D.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 6, 2020 00:25

Dumpstaphunk talks opening for Rolling Stones

Date: August 7, 2020 04:09

bv
Here's what Mick Jagger, Rolling Stones bandmates did in New Orleans during Hurricane Barry
Watts was spotted at the New Orleans Jazz Museum, while Wood found time to check out Preservation Hall. Meanwhile, Jagger found his way to a restaurant in the French Quarter.
Watts, who was accompanied by Rolling Stones drum technician Don McAulay, was elegantly attired in a knee-length black jacket, black slacks and gray button-down shirt.
On Sunday night, Stones guitarist Ron Wood attended the late show at Preservation Hall, where he met Joe Lastie, a fourth-generation New Orleans drummer from the family of musicians featured in the Jazz Museum exhibit.
Meanwhile Rolling Stones front man Jagger reportedly made a brief stop on Friday evening at the Royal House restaurant on Royal Street, which was rather empty because of the impending storm.
Stevens said she recalls that Jagger’s hair was “kind of all wild.” He ordered Pinot Noir and sautéed crab claws, plus macaroni and cheese with fries for the child. He complimented the crab. She said he never identified himself, but when passersby said, “Hey Mick,” he would raise his head and smile.

What makes me laugh about this is that very last bit - no other rock star in the future will... well, we don't know, do we: be called Mick like that.

Mick Jagger - what a name. His name ALONE sums up A LOT. It's his own legacy because of his work with The Rolling Stones period.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home