Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10
Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: July 17, 2019 01:49

stevecardi
jumpontopofmebaby
Nate
What a stupid statement to say that the crowd seems tired of a certain song when the crowd is predominantly people who have never seen them perform before.

Nate

It is the way I see it over and over tour after tour.

The show's I have been to over the last several tours hardly anyone does the old Whoo Whoo during Miss You anymore.

And I pay attention

And I would bet better than 1/2 the people at each show in the US have been to several show before.

Really?! The Foxboro show had one of the biggest audience reactions during “Miss You.” And it was a fantastic performance of that song.

Well I can’t even guess the last time I saw them that the band would want to use a live version of miss you on a live album because the crowd was singing back so loud Maybe voodoo lounge tour. But more than likely was 1989. Zip code saw them 3 times and all three it was a mood killer Desert trip was just so so

Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 17, 2019 02:21

jumpontopofmebaby
stevecardi
jumpontopofmebaby
Nate
What a stupid statement to say that the crowd seems tired of a certain song when the crowd is predominantly people who have never seen them perform before.

Nate

It is the way I see it over and over tour after tour.

The show's I have been to over the last several tours hardly anyone does the old Whoo Whoo during Miss You anymore.

And I pay attention

And I would bet better than 1/2 the people at each show in the US have been to several show before.

Really?! The Foxboro show had one of the biggest audience reactions during “Miss You.” And it was a fantastic performance of that song.

Well I can’t even guess the last time I saw them that the band would want to use a live version of miss you on a live album because the crowd was singing back so loud Maybe voodoo lounge tour. But more than likely was 1989. Zip code saw them 3 times and all three it was a mood killer Desert trip was just so so

Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle def had some great performances of “Miss You,” which as you pointed out has been somewhat lagging from 1994 on (although all the shows I’ve seen since 1997 have had great audience love/participation on that song).
But that’s why that Foxboro performance was so surprising for me: that whole song had a urge and a pulse I haven’t heard in “Miss You” since Steel Wheels tour. And the crowd in the stadium certainly realized that it was a great and energetic performance.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 17, 2019 02:34

LovingCupola
Photos from the show [www.nola.com]

The picture of Mick 8th down from the top almost perfectly matches the tongue and lips logo - it's actually amazing how the photographer caught this.

great shot indeed, and shots, thanks for sharing.

Date: July 17, 2019 03:21

treaclefingers
LovingCupola

The picture of Mick 8th down from the top almost perfectly matches the tongue and lips logo - it's actually amazing how the photographer caught this.

Oh my God, it does!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 17, 2019 04:06

Reports and pictures here:

IORR EDITORIAL PAGES:

The Rolling Stones
Mercedes-Benz Superdome
New Orleans, LA, USA
Monday July 15, 2019

Bjornulf

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 17, 2019 04:13

Bjornulf, which song was the second shot from, with Mick and Keith on the microphone together?
Was it Dead Flowers from the b stage?

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-17 04:17 by angee.

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: July 17, 2019 04:24

stevecardi
treaclefingers
LovingCupola

Oh my God, it does!!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: July 17, 2019 04:25

treaclefingers
LovingCupola

smileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 17, 2019 04:30

angee
Bjornulf, which song was the second shot from, with Mick and Keith on the microphone together?

Fantastic shot!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 17, 2019 04:30

keefriff99
Has anyone else noticed that Keith's fingers are WAY less swollen than they used to be? He must be doing some new type of treatment.

Yes, they do look better.

Date: July 17, 2019 04:42

angee

Mick joined Keith on his microphone for a brief moment during the last part of Dead Flowers. See this video, at 3:23 and on:

Dead Flowers from New Orleans Acoustic B-stage

Bjornulf

Date: July 17, 2019 04:47

MacLaurens
bv
MacLaurens
Why do they have seating and not a GA standing?

There is seating in the front, behind the pit, because some people need to sit, and also it is easier to charge a higher price for the ticket then, you don't have to fight for your position. Then there is GA in the back, a cheaper ticket. It is also a security issue, re the Pearl Jam Roskilde and The Who Cincinnati disasters.

Thank you for answering! Is there any reason seating is more common in the US while the European concerts usually have GA?

There are more lawyers in the US. So I assume it will be more expensive with an accident in USA than in Europe. In USA you can get eassily sued for 100 million dollar for an accident, in Europe accidents do happen without any lawyers getting involved.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 17, 2019 04:48

In the bottom shot, looks like Mick just glanced at the setlist and suddenly realized they accidentally skipped a song! eye popping smileywinking smiley

Great pics as always Bjornulf! thumbs up

Date: July 17, 2019 04:51

Fantastic pics Bjornulf! Thanks for sharing them!

Date: July 17, 2019 04:55

jumpontopofmebaby
Still can’t belive 19 songs. That’s the reward you get for rescheduling your travel plans staying an extra day. Sitting out a hurricane etc. This show should of had extra songs. This was a slap in the face period.

Better with 19 songs and Mick having a voice for Jacksonville, than pushing 20 and risking the next show. Mick was drinking A LOT of water from ANGIE and on. I did not hear any issues with his voice, but the cliamate changing from Boston to NOLA is not ideal. I am sure they do know what they are doing. It is so easy to sit at home and count songs, and make negative comments, without knowing much what is going on at the actual show. Also, the show day was SUPER SUPER humid, ask anyone who was in NOLA. I have never ever had such a humid day. Never.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-17 04:58 by bv.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 17, 2019 05:37

keefriff99
Has anyone else noticed that Keith's fingers are WAY less swollen than they used to be? He must be doing some new type of treatment.

It's called A LOT LESS ALCOHOL.

Date: July 17, 2019 05:43

OpenG
Led Zep - broke the Who record for indoor

4/30/77 - Pontiac Silverdome...76,279...this was at the time a new world record attendance for a solo indoor attraction, beating the 75,962 The Who attracted there in December 1975

I did not know the RS had 81,000 in the superdome.

That was in 1978. In 1981 they had, officially, 87,500.

Posted by: swaff ()
Date: July 17, 2019 05:57

GasLightStreet
keefriff99

I need to take note.

Date: July 17, 2019 05:58

steffialicia
iraq0708
GasLightStreet
muncy23
steffialicia
Do you actually think your "performance" in any area is going to be the same at 75 as it is at 30, 40, 50, 60? Keeping that in mind, why bother seeing them live any longer? In your view, they are clearly not up to the standard you expect. I believe that this tour is one of their last, if not their last. Very soon, you won't have them to nitpick and bash any longer. I'm riding this train happily and joyfully until it's end.

Very well said!!! Some people get it.

Just to add, i think if you go with the mindset of looking for mistakes and worrying about the setlist, the show wont be as good (in your own view). I don't go to see Bob Dylan and say hey, he doesnt sound like the record. I take it in for what it is. It's the style of music that they now play, but guess what, its still art and you just have to appreciate that art differently now than you once did. If you look at Beethoven's last piano sonatas (for example) you listen to those pieces differently than you would his early stuff and understand the circumstances in which he was writing/playing.

Fantastic way to understand what I wrote.

I didn't go to the show to purposely hear if Charlie is losing it, I simply made an observation of some weird things that happened in some songs. He's generally done that over many tours but it seemed a bit... Mick rushed some of the lyrics, perhaps Charlie was correcting that.

That's not a slag about Charlie's age. You don't have to come off as a wet muffin because someone states an observation about something for you to get out your THEY'RE REALLY OLD WHAT DO YOU EXPECT flag.

Keith screws up a lot and I get a kick out of it. Go listen to something from when they were 'TGRNRBITW' and there's plenty of screw ups.

I didn't dance around like the drunks that did - I listened, I watched. LSTNT was pedestrian at best.

In your eyes I was anticipating them to not be like they were in the late 30s when they played it "with energy".

Under My Thumb was too long.

In your eyes I'm using a standard that goes back to, what, 1966?

It doesn't matter how much I paid, I saw them. I'm not a fanboy. There were some great things and some bad things but nothing awful like in other shows.

My expectations were very few, mainly I wondered if they'd open with SFM and will they play Sad Sad Sad. Keith NOT doing Happy was interesting. They didn't play IORR which was great.

If people can't accept a straight ahead account of what someone saw and heard then YOU are the one with the issue. I'm the kind of fan that can admit when something stinks. It may be difficult for some people to believe but not everyone here writes the same way about how great something is or how awful something is when they write about it. It wasn't a GREAT show performance wise, it was good. Hence the underwhelming part. This may not make it into the synapses but they're just going through the motions and they do an excellent job of it. Every now and then something rises above, and that's Midnight Rambler.

A fanboy knobber hears nothing bad, it's all great. The Stones would probably ask those people, Are you actually listening?
I actually thought it was hilarious that some guy who WATCHED a feed said you--who were actually PRESENT- didn't hear what you heard....the height of fanboyishness...LOL

Just an observation of your observation...,98% of what you said concerned what "went wrong" during their performance. I can't understand why you would bother to go see them. I just find this sort of thing a buzz kill but that's my problem.

Perhaps you should slow down your Stones guzzling and actually read what I said. If not, fine, whatever, I was glad to pay the money I paid to bring my girlfriend, who has never seen the Stones, for her first and last time as well as my last time, and you'll never have the experience I had - but you will have saved $350. My observations are based on two things: what I heard and what I knew to possibly expect performance wise.

I can't account for lame or sleep walking or pedestrian or OK or good or brilliant performances. I'm not demanding my money back because they played 123 too long or screwed up Gimme Shelter or this and that was too slow. They're not Walmart.

Wrong notes heard in a YouTube video are the same wrong notes heard at a show. The excitement of being there in person vs watching it on YouTube is different - but there's no mystery element of a screw up unless you're "tone deaf". The difference is at a show, it goes by very fast.

During Darryl's bass solo it seemed like the meter for Miss You was about to leave the planet - yet they somehow were able to keep it centered through all the funky polyrhythmic and behind the beat underwheeling notes.

So yeah, @#$%& me for having an "accurate review".

I'm not trying to win a trophy, I'm just sharing what I heard. If you don't like it - fine, someone hurt your feelings about TGRNRBITW.

If you don't believe it - you've got issues with the real world.

Date: July 17, 2019 05:59

torontostoner
Just a question: Why all the hate for iorr (the song)?
I think it’s a great anthem. Am I missing something?

It's been dull for 3 decades. I'm glad it wasn't played in New Orleans.

Date: July 17, 2019 06:13

erbissell
I guess this is just the way the "live updates" thread are now and have been for awhile. I don't think people are any more critical now than they were being on tours past, it just seems meaner now that their age is a real factor and some of the challenges have become more apparent.

GaslightStreet though, come on, not to cherry pick but you've used the phrases "pedestrian" "plodding along through the motions""botched the entire opening" "underwhelming" "that was awful(about the french horn intro)" and more all in this thread, and referred to those who tune out the rough patches as "fanboy knobbers" so don't be surprised when you get some backlash on any fan forum.

I understand what you are trying to communicate, an honest review...but your tonality is just a little derogatory. Like how you refer to those who are dancing as "drunks," has a very negative connotation. I get what you're saying, they're not focusing on the details and listening, and there are always a few that drink too much. But if everyone sat and stared and analyzed the details, without those carefree fans up singing, dancing and contributing energy, it would be a pretty lame show.

Honest reviews are much appreciated...just choose some less triggering adjectives unless you like responding to these adverse reactions.

Not to cherry pick...

How elegant.

Don't talk about what you saw, instead, be PC about it, you know, in a kid friendly way, like parents at the mall speak.

Derogatory? Ho ho ho ho! Sorry I didn't drool at the mouth about those songs.

Negative connotation? What the @#$%& is this, elementary school? The people I saw dancing - have you ever been in the Superdome? Or New Orleans? - were BLASTED out of their minds.

As in... the area I was sitting in. I can't speak for the rest of the crowd.

But up there, it's death or in the hospital for months if you slip. They were drinking, I'm not insinuating anything. I don't care. They sure did get up for Honky Tonk Women and Start Me Up and Miss You.

I get what you're getting at though. Instead of that I should've said:

A majority of the people only reacted to the lights going down before Jumpin' Jack Flash, Miss You, Start Me Up and the woo's in Brown Sugar.

You are having a problem with the fact that it sounds like the Stones go through the motions on some songs? Uhhhhh. OK. Sometimes their deliveries of songs are pedestrian.

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: July 17, 2019 06:20

bv
jumpontopofmebaby
Still can’t belive 19 songs. That’s the reward you get for rescheduling your travel plans staying an extra day. Sitting out a hurricane etc. This show should of had extra songs. This was a slap in the face period.

Better with 19 songs and Mick having a voice for Jacksonville, than pushing 20 and risking the next show. Mick was drinking A LOT of water from ANGIE and on. I did not hear any issues with his voice, but the cliamate changing from Boston to NOLA is not ideal. I am sure they do know what they are doing. It is so easy to sit at home and count songs, and make negative comments, without knowing much what is going on at the actual show. Also, the show day was SUPER SUPER humid, ask anyone who was in NOLA. I have never ever had such a humid day. Never.

I was in Nola
..and for me too I never ever had such a humid day... Fortunately inside the dome was air-conditioned ....when you went out.. You felt like in a Sauna ...if 18 19 or 20 songs I enjoy every show... Let's be happy the Stones are still playing live

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-17 06:26 by thomas guitar.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: July 17, 2019 06:34

It was on the line "..by the U.S. mail" that Mick joined Keith on Keith's microphone. Keith looked pleasantly surprised.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 17, 2019 07:30

I appreciate Gaslights honesty, and though I don't agree with some of it, I'm not him and he has a right to convey how he feels. A shame his thoughts hurt some people's feelings, but no reason to go on the warpath.
I would never consider it "bashing" the band, instead I would call it an educated review based on his own experiences that go back many years. If you disagree with most or all of it, no need to try and shut him down.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: July 17, 2019 07:34

Every concert is different for different people. I’ve seen the Stones over 50 times, and not every concert was great. Some were exceptional, some were good, some were not that good. Everyone has their individual experience that is based on many factors. Certainly, the Band’s mood is a big factor. When the Stones are on fire, it is special. When they’re tired, or out of sorts, it shows. The people near you at a concert can make a huge positive or negative experience. People who are loud, pushy, drunk, or just plain too tall if in front of you, can make a concert not as good for you, while someone at the same show but in a different area may have a much more enjoyable experience. We all have our favorite songs and the songs we are personally tired of hearing, but there will always be some people that will be happy to hear a particular song. Sometimes, you will be a bit disappointed, but I try to enjoy as much of each concert that I can, because I love the Stones and they will not be touring forever.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 17, 2019 09:52

JadedFaded
Every concert is different for different people. I’ve seen the Stones over 50 times, and not every concert was great. Some were exceptional, some were good, some were not that good. Everyone has their individual experience that is based on many factors. Certainly, the Band’s mood is a big factor. When the Stones are on fire, it is special. When they’re tired, or out of sorts, it shows. The people near you at a concert can make a huge positive or negative experience. People who are loud, pushy, drunk, or just plain too tall if in front of you, can make a concert not as good for you, while someone at the same show but in a different area may have a much more enjoyable experience. We all have our favorite songs and the songs we are personally tired of hearing, but there will always be some people that will be happy to hear a particular song. Sometimes, you will be a bit disappointed, but I try to enjoy as much of each concert that I can, because I love the Stones and they will not be touring forever.

Wise. Positive. Helpful. Thanks for this.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 17, 2019 13:16

GasLightStreet
keefriff99

Ehh, I don't see the connection. Yeah, his overall health is doubtless improved by cutting back on booze, but that's not going to suddenly make his fingers heal up.

Those big, marble-sized nodes in his highest knuckles just seemed much less pronounced.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 17, 2019 15:04

I'm not usually counting songs, but I noticed the absence of SFM early on, and wondered if they might do it later. But they went off like an express train with JJF/LSTNT/TD, and JJF just had to be the opener in the high of having dodged the hurricane and made it to the Superdome at last. So far so good. Sad Sad Sad was fine but it's less well known, and then the steam seemed to go out of things with Under My Thumb and the even slower Can't Always Get. Whether that was the band or the crowd, I don't know.
Even by scope I noticed Mick doing a lot of supping from a mug of something. Several people have commented how humid it was outside: had they turned up the aircon inside to compensate and made it extra dry?
Nice to get Angie on the B stage, but apart from Play With Fire we haven't (so far) had any nice surprises there, just familiar songs in a different location. Ronnie was good on Dead Flowers, as he was all evening. Keith was just...concentrating. And when they got to the warhorses later on and his guitar was up loud, it paid off. Sometimes you know why the warhorses need to be played.
GasLightStreet said "underwhelming". It was a very good show and there wasn't anything to complain of (unless you are a number-of-songs obsessive), but there was this feeling around that in the circumstances it might have turned out to be a truly great one - and it didn't.

PS: Cold nor no cold, Mick was great all evening - particularly enjoyed harp on Midnight Rambler.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-17 15:08 by Green Lady.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 17, 2019 15:13

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99

Ehh, I don't see the connection. Yeah, his overall health is doubtless improved by cutting back on booze, but that's not going to suddenly make his fingers heal up.

Those big, marble-sized nodes in his highest knuckles just seemed much less pronounced.

People as rich/famous as the Stones have access to medical treatments we don't even know about...the so-called public will know what it is in probably 5-10 years

"Cutting-Edge Drugs/Treatment" is probably your answer...I doubt it is as simple as "less alcohol" (though, I imagine that can't hurt)

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 17, 2019 15:31

stickyfingers101
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99

People as rich/famous as the Stones have access to medical treatments we don't even know about...the so-called public will know what it is in probably 5-10 years

"Cutting-Edge Drugs/Treatment" is probably your answer...I doubt it is as simple as "less alcohol" (though, I imagine that can't hurt)
For sure...no question about that.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 9 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1343
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home