Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 19:43

Has anyone else noticed that Keith's fingers are WAY less swollen than they used to be? He must be doing some new type of treatment.

Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 19:43

Keith is happy to be there, and no one can deny that he gives his best. It's the ultimate US adventure.
The road has been long.
Respect.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 16, 2019 20:14

Wow Chuck really takes over LSTNT, still a good version. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 16, 2019 21:20

25 years since they played the Superdome. They still hold the all time attendance record at this stadium from 1981 tour when 81,000 packed it inn.
That was also the record for the largest indoor concert in North American history for 33 years. George Strait broke it at AT&T stadium in Dallas TX 2014 with 105,000 fans.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 16, 2019 21:28

Led Zep - broke the Who record for indoor

4/30/77 - Pontiac Silverdome...76,279...this was at the time a new world record attendance for a solo indoor attraction, beating the 75,962 The Who attracted there in December 1975

I did not know the RS had 81,000 in the superdome.

Date: July 16, 2019 21:30

How many yesterday night ?

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: July 16, 2019 21:34

GasLightStreet
muncy23
GasLightStreet
Sat at the top of the dome at the end (it's lower than the sides in terms of the football field), just to the left of the middle of the stage, and the sound was quite quiet up there so it was easy to hear everything.

They sounded good. Midnight Rambler was the best song of the night. Paint It Black had a very weird vibe to it - it was much slower, which works well, but it kind of oozed along. Ronnie was in fantastic form. The acoustic set was a bit rough, they kind of seem to lack confidence, although Angie was pretty good - Charlie even did the hi-hat flare. I know they don't but it wasn't exactly... I dunno. Maybe it was the crowd, which didn't seem to recognize either of Keith's songs or Sad Sad Sad (Mick said "This is one from STEEL WHEELS"). Keith didn't slaughter the Sad Sad Sad solo like he has been.

I was waiting for a good one though - and the encore delivered it: Keith botched the entire opening of Gimme Shelter. Throughout the show I noticed something I've heard in recent live videos - Charlie seems to not only miss some snare beats but there's a weird moving of the timing in some songs, almost like someone bumped the machine.

Overall it was underwhelming. Keith's Slipping Away was really nice - but too long. The mix was weird at times, Keith's guitar jumping way out over everything else in the mix during JJF and SFTD was hilarious. Matt Clifford needs to learn how to tune a French horn. That was awful.

With all due respect, it is hard to give an accurate review of how the band played when you sit in the rafters. I saw the live feed of JJF and its intentional the way they turn keith up and down during those songs. They have the best sound guys in the business and i think it sounds quite nice when they do that. Sounded very powerful.

I knew they were bumping Keith up - it was hilarious how much they did - it must've been about 50 dbs.

Keith also has a tendency to ride his own volume knob as he sees fit, with how clean and touch sensitive those Twin's are it can affect the volume a lot. I believe I remember an interview with him though where he said he rarely has it wide open, always backed down a bit.

Does anyone know who's mixing FOH this tour? Is it Dave Natale still? I know he was pretty good at constantly riding the faders without making it seem too obvious.

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: July 16, 2019 21:43

Photos from the show [www.nola.com]

The picture of Mick 8th down from the top almost perfectly matches the tongue and lips logo - it's actually amazing how the photographer caught this.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 21:53

GasLightStreet
muncy23
steffialicia
Do you actually think your "performance" in any area is going to be the same at 75 as it is at 30, 40, 50, 60? Keeping that in mind, why bother seeing them live any longer? In your view, they are clearly not up to the standard you expect. I believe that this tour is one of their last, if not their last. Very soon, you won't have them to nitpick and bash any longer. I'm riding this train happily and joyfully until it's end.

Very well said!!! Some people get it.

Just to add, i think if you go with the mindset of looking for mistakes and worrying about the setlist, the show wont be as good (in your own view). I don't go to see Bob Dylan and say hey, he doesnt sound like the record. I take it in for what it is. It's the style of music that they now play, but guess what, its still art and you just have to appreciate that art differently now than you once did. If you look at Beethoven's last piano sonatas (for example) you listen to those pieces differently than you would his early stuff and understand the circumstances in which he was writing/playing.

Fantastic way to understand what I wrote.

I didn't go to the show to purposely hear if Charlie is losing it, I simply made an observation of some weird things that happened in some songs. He's generally done that over many tours but it seemed a bit... Mick rushed some of the lyrics, perhaps Charlie was correcting that.

That's not a slag about Charlie's age. You don't have to come off as a wet muffin because someone states an observation about something for you to get out your THEY'RE REALLY OLD WHAT DO YOU EXPECT flag.

Keith screws up a lot and I get a kick out of it. Go listen to something from when they were 'TGRNRBITW' and there's plenty of screw ups.

I didn't dance around like the drunks that did - I listened, I watched. LSTNT was pedestrian at best.

In your eyes I was anticipating them to not be like they were in the late 30s when they played it "with energy".

Under My Thumb was too long.

In your eyes I'm using a standard that goes back to, what, 1966?

It doesn't matter how much I paid, I saw them. I'm not a fanboy. There were some great things and some bad things but nothing awful like in other shows.

My expectations were very few, mainly I wondered if they'd open with SFM and will they play Sad Sad Sad. Keith NOT doing Happy was interesting. They didn't play IORR which was great.

If people can't accept a straight ahead account of what someone saw and heard then YOU are the one with the issue. I'm the kind of fan that can admit when something stinks. It may be difficult for some people to believe but not everyone here writes the same way about how great something is or how awful something is when they write about it. It wasn't a GREAT show performance wise, it was good. Hence the underwhelming part. This may not make it into the synapses but they're just going through the motions and they do an excellent job of it. Every now and then something rises above, and that's Midnight Rambler.

A fanboy knobber hears nothing bad, it's all great. The Stones would probably ask those people, Are you actually listening?
I actually thought it was hilarious that some guy who WATCHED a feed said you--who were actually PRESENT- didn't hear what you heard....the height of fanboyishness...LOL

Date: July 16, 2019 22:14

For sure !!!
Same thing for youtube video reliable only to say "awesome" version.
Adoration, fascination. So cute.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 16, 2019 22:30

I actually thought it was hilarious that some guy who WATCHED a feed said you--who were actually PRESENT- didn't hear what you heard....the height of fanboyishness...LOL

hilarious indeed, i agree smiling smiley

should remain hilarious when people who were actually present express joyful satisfaction while periscope-seed-seers try to teach 'em all the messes they should have heard

Date: July 16, 2019 22:37

GasLightStreet WAS at the show.

Date: July 16, 2019 22:53

Very good Satisfaction

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 16, 2019 23:07

powerage78
GasLightStreet WAS at the show.

and I really appreciate his report!

just saying: the same rule should apply when those who ARE at a show say good things while some periscope viewer says the band sucked

and it happens a lot.. winking smiley

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: July 16, 2019 23:25

That version of Satisfaction sounded absolutely amazing.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 16, 2019 23:48

iraq0708
GasLightStreet
muncy23
steffialicia
Do you actually think your "performance" in any area is going to be the same at 75 as it is at 30, 40, 50, 60? Keeping that in mind, why bother seeing them live any longer? In your view, they are clearly not up to the standard you expect. I believe that this tour is one of their last, if not their last. Very soon, you won't have them to nitpick and bash any longer. I'm riding this train happily and joyfully until it's end.

Just to add, i think if you go with the mindset of looking for mistakes and worrying about the setlist, the show wont be as good (in your own view). I don't go to see Bob Dylan and say hey, he doesnt sound like the record. I take it in for what it is. It's the style of music that they now play, but guess what, its still art and you just have to appreciate that art differently now than you once did. If you look at Beethoven's last piano sonatas (for example) you listen to those pieces differently than you would his early stuff and understand the circumstances in which he was writing/playing.

I didn't go to the show to purposely hear if Charlie is losing it, I simply made an observation of some weird things that happened in some songs. He's generally done that over many tours but it seemed a bit... Mick rushed some of the lyrics, perhaps Charlie was correcting that.

That's not a slag about Charlie's age. You don't have to come off as a wet muffin because someone states an observation about something for you to get out your THEY'RE REALLY OLD WHAT DO YOU EXPECT flag.

Keith screws up a lot and I get a kick out of it. Go listen to something from when they were 'TGRNRBITW' and there's plenty of screw ups.

I didn't dance around like the drunks that did - I listened, I watched. LSTNT was pedestrian at best.

In your eyes I was anticipating them to not be like they were in the late 30s when they played it "with energy".

It doesn't matter how much I paid, I saw them. I'm not a fanboy. There were some great things and some bad things but nothing awful like in other shows.

My expectations were very few, mainly I wondered if they'd open with SFM and will they play Sad Sad Sad. Keith NOT doing Happy was interesting. They didn't play IORR which was great.

If people can't accept a straight ahead account of what someone saw and heard then YOU are the one with the issue. I'm the kind of fan that can admit when something stinks. It may be difficult for some people to believe but not everyone here writes the same way about how great something is or how awful something is when they write about it. It wasn't a GREAT show performance wise, it was good. Hence the underwhelming part. This may not make it into the synapses but they're just going through the motions and they do an excellent job of it. Every now and then something rises above, and that's Midnight Rambler.

A fanboy knobber hears nothing bad, it's all great. The Stones would probably ask those people, Are you actually listening?

Just an observation of your observation...,98% of what you said concerned what "went wrong" during their performance. I can't understand why you would bother to go see them. I just find this sort of thing a buzz kill but that's my problem.

Posted by: torontostoner ()
Date: July 16, 2019 23:52

Just a question: Why all the hate for iorr (the song)?
I think it’s a great anthem. Am I missing something?

Date: July 17, 2019 00:09

torontostoner

I think its a great song. I also think it needs a rest like several other songs they play over and over and over in their setlist tour after tour.

Mix it up and play something fresh. I think the crowd as a whole seems tired of IORR and Miss You. Those sing along songs have seen their better days.

It just time for some different songs. I mean come on they sing Mercy Mercy or Play With Fire and everyone in here about shits their britches with excitement.

Do that every show with 4 or 5 different songs and we would all be changing our pants!

Its just time to mix it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-17 00:10 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 17, 2019 00:14

torontostoner

It was a great anthem, I love the versions from around 1975-76 and 1997-2003, but since 2012 it's just played way too slow and lacking energy. Of course the studio version isn't very fast either, but it's played with more finesse, Kenney Jones is sometimes only hitting the snare on the 2nd beat and the guitars aren't playing a straight Chuck Berry-rhythm. Nowadays they play it like a Chuck Berry song but slower than before.

Posted by: torontostoner ()
Date: July 17, 2019 00:20

jumpontopofmebaby
torontostoner

I think its a great song. I also think it needs a rest like several other songs they play over and over and over in their setlist tour after tour.

Mix it up and play something fresh. I think the crowd as a whole seems tired of IORR and Miss You. Those sing along songs have seen their better days.

It just time for some different songs. I mean come on they sing Mercy Mercy or Play With Fire and everyone in here about shits their britches with excitement.

Do that every show with 4 or 5 different songs and we would all be changing our pants!

Its just time to mix it up.

Got it! Totally agree about Have Mercy etc
More shows to come, hopefully more rarities!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 17, 2019 00:26

It was a great show. The sound was very good in the 335 section. Mick had a lot to say during the course of the show. He was drinking a ton of something out of cup near the front of the stage. If magic exists - they have it.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 17, 2019 00:28

What a stupid statement to say that the crowd seems tired of a certain song when the crowd is predominantly people who have never seen them perform before.

Nate

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 17, 2019 00:32

Green Lady

Photo by Chris Granger on Twitter

Spectacularly royale, elegance earned, engine starts and runs smooth.
delicately amazing; and consistently so; re-earning his Huge status as
the reigning King of such stuff at this rarefied level.
i could pick the same reliable nits, and will here and there...
...they earned this bit of history they are making.
gramps going out as the old Lion the strongest young males still defer to,
as it should be in this jungle.

nice guitar Ronnie!!
ship it to me when the tours done darling;
ok you can paint on it a little if you HAVE to;
that's a beaut.!1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-17 00:34 by hopkins.

Date: July 17, 2019 00:33

Nate
What a stupid statement to say that the crowd seems tired of a certain song when the crowd is predominantly people who have never seen them perform before.

Nate

It is the way I see it over and over tour after tour.

The show's I have been to over the last several tours hardly anyone does the old Whoo Whoo during Miss You anymore.

And I pay attention

And I would bet better than 1/2 the people at each show in the US have been to several show before.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 17, 2019 00:39

Great version of Start Me Up, doesn't sound like Mick is saving his voice as someone said. [www.youtube.com]

Date: July 17, 2019 00:47

steffialicia
iraq0708
GasLightStreet
muncy23
steffialicia

Just an observation of your observation...,98% of what you said concerned what "went wrong" during their performance. I can't understand why you would bother to go see them. I just find this sort of thing a buzz kill but that's my problem.

I agree. I guess this is just the way the "live updates" thread are now and have been for awhile. I don't think people are any more critical now than they were being on tours past, it just seems meaner now that their age is a real factor and some of the challenges have become more apparent.

GaslightStreet though, come on, not to cherry pick but you've used the phrases "pedestrian" "plodding along through the motions""botched the entire opening" "underwhelming" "that was awful(about the french horn intro)" and more all in this thread, and referred to those who tune out the rough patches as "fanboy knobbers" so don't be surprised when you get some backlash on any fan forum.

I understand what you are trying to communicate, an honest review...but your tonality is just a little derogatory. Like how you refer to those who are dancing as "drunks," has a very negative connotation. I get what you're saying, they're not focusing on the details and listening, and there are always a few that drink too much. But if everyone sat and stared and analyzed the details, without those carefree fans up singing, dancing and contributing energy, it would be a pretty lame show.

Honest reviews are much appreciated...just choose some less triggering adjectives unless you like responding to these adverse reactions.

Date: July 17, 2019 00:48

yeababyyea
Great version of Start Me Up, doesn't sound like Mick is saving his voice as someone said. [www.youtube.com]

Hell yeah, this and the Satisfaction link someone posted were both killer!

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 17, 2019 01:15

It's a natural progression to go from, 'OMG, the Stones are touring,' and 'Keith remembers the chords!' .... to a few shows into the tour becoming a bit more critical about their performances.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 17, 2019 01:37

virgil
25 years since they played the Superdome. They still hold the all time attendance record at this stadium from 1981 tour when 81,000 packed it inn.
That was also the record for the largest indoor concert in North American history for 33 years. George Strait broke it at AT&T stadium in Dallas TX 2014 with 105,000 fans.

It was actually 87,500 in 1981.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: July 17, 2019 01:39

jumpontopofmebaby
Nate

Nate

It is the way I see it over and over tour after tour.

The show's I have been to over the last several tours hardly anyone does the old Whoo Whoo during Miss You anymore.

And I pay attention

And I would bet better than 1/2 the people at each show in the US have been to several show before.

Really?! The Foxboro show had one of the biggest audience reactions during “Miss You.” And it was a fantastic performance of that song.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home