Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10
THe Rolling Stones - New Orleans LA 15-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 16, 2019 16:46

stickyfingers101
Great pictures, whoever took those....

Chris Grainger is credited for the photos.

Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 16, 2019 16:48

muncy23
steffialicia
Do you actually think your "performance" in any area is going to be the same at 75 as it is at 30, 40, 50, 60? Keeping that in mind, why bother seeing them live any longer? In your view, they are clearly not up to the standard you expect. I believe that this tour is one of their last, if not their last. Very soon, you won't have them to nitpick and bash any longer. I'm riding this train happily and joyfully until it's end.

Very well said!!! Some people get it.

Just to add, i think if you go with the mindset of looking for mistakes and worrying about the setlist, the show wont be as good (in your own view). I don't go to see Bob Dylan and say hey, he doesnt sound like the record. I take it in for what it is. It's the style of music that they now play, but guess what, its still art and you just have to appreciate that art differently now than you once did. If you look at Beethoven's last piano sonatas (for example) you listen to those pieces differently than you would his early stuff and understand the circumstances in which he was writing/playing.

I go looking for a Rock n' Roll show, when mistakes happen unfortunately it takes away from my enjoyment of the show. I don't care who the artist is or how old they are.

Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 16, 2019 16:54

jumpontopofmebaby
Still can’t belive 19 songs. That’s the reward you get for rescheduling your travel plans staying an extra day. Sitting out a hurricane etc. This show should of had extra songs. This was a slap in the face period.

Worst take imo.
The last thing this band could be accused of is intentionally giving their fans "a slap in the face". They are professionals who give it their best every time they take the stage. If they were to change their MO, the next concert would have fans whining about why they didn't up their game at that one etc etc.

Just the opposite may be more accurate. Not sure of final attendance, but it's well known performers feed off the energy of the fans. Not intentionally, ala "slap in the face", but perhaps the understandably smaller crowd and their lack of energy adversely affected the performance, or overall vibe. It was similar even online here, less fans = less energy and enthusiasm, nothing really to do with the performance, which was fantastic as always.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 16, 2019 16:55

TornAndFried
How full was the Superdome? This show wasn't selling well from the start and after the hurricane scare I'm sure many people returned tickets.

By the second or third song it was full. Not sold out full but a lot more than were there for VOODOO LOUNGE.

The stage was roughly to the 50 yard line so I'm going to guess 35,000 tickets were available and it looked like about 32,000 showed up, which is impressive indeed considering how New Orleans treats these kinds of shows.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 16, 2019 17:09

I guess some fans are just a bit disappointed the Stones didn't give them that little ''extra'', since the show was delayed twice they could've thrown in one somewhat obscure song in addition to the vote song, like Mercy, Mercy or Monkey Man, making it a 20 song set. But I guess people should've learned by now not to be disappointed by the setlist...

Date: July 16, 2019 17:11

muncy23
GasLightStreet
Sat at the top of the dome at the end (it's lower than the sides in terms of the football field), just to the left of the middle of the stage, and the sound was quite quiet up there so it was easy to hear everything.

They sounded good. Midnight Rambler was the best song of the night. Paint It Black had a very weird vibe to it - it was much slower, which works well, but it kind of oozed along. Ronnie was in fantastic form. The acoustic set was a bit rough, they kind of seem to lack confidence, although Angie was pretty good - Charlie even did the hi-hat flare. I know they don't but it wasn't exactly... I dunno. Maybe it was the crowd, which didn't seem to recognize either of Keith's songs or Sad Sad Sad (Mick said "This is one from STEEL WHEELS"). Keith didn't slaughter the Sad Sad Sad solo like he has been.

I was waiting for a good one though - and the encore delivered it: Keith botched the entire opening of Gimme Shelter. Throughout the show I noticed something I've heard in recent live videos - Charlie seems to not only miss some snare beats but there's a weird moving of the timing in some songs, almost like someone bumped the machine.

Overall it was underwhelming. Keith's Slipping Away was really nice - but too long. The mix was weird at times, Keith's guitar jumping way out over everything else in the mix during JJF and SFTD was hilarious. Matt Clifford needs to learn how to tune a French horn. That was awful.

With all due respect, it is hard to give an accurate review of how the band played when you sit in the rafters. I saw the live feed of JJF and its intentional the way they turn keith up and down during those songs. They have the best sound guys in the business and i think it sounds quite nice when they do that. Sounded very powerful.

I knew they were bumping Keith up - it was hilarious how much they did - it must've been about 50 dbs.

Date: July 16, 2019 17:14

Very good solo on Sympathy by Keith. Yes Keith's guitar is a bit too loud. Should be less on next shows.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-16 17:15 by jumpingjackflash5.

The Rolling Stones - New Orleans LA 15-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 16, 2019 17:14

Crowd shot from Keith Spera of The Times-Picayune | The New Orleans Advocate.

LARGE version

[twitter.com]

Date: July 16, 2019 17:16

muncy23
powerage78
EXCEPT if the review is awesome, of course...

muncy23
GasLightStreet
Sat at the top of the dome at the end (it's lower than the sides in terms of the football field), just to the left of the middle of the stage, and the sound was quite quiet up there so it was easy to hear everything.

They sounded good. Midnight Rambler was the best song of the night. Paint It Black had a very weird vibe to it - it was much slower, which works well, but it kind of oozed along. Ronnie was in fantastic form. The acoustic set was a bit rough, they kind of seem to lack confidence, although Angie was pretty good - Charlie even did the hi-hat flare. I know they don't but it wasn't exactly... I dunno. Maybe it was the crowd, which didn't seem to recognize either of Keith's songs or Sad Sad Sad (Mick said "This is one from STEEL WHEELS"). Keith didn't slaughter the Sad Sad Sad solo like he has been.

I was waiting for a good one though - and the encore delivered it: Keith botched the entire opening of Gimme Shelter. Throughout the show I noticed something I've heard in recent live videos - Charlie seems to not only miss some snare beats but there's a weird moving of the timing in some songs, almost like someone bumped the machine.

Overall it was underwhelming. Keith's Slipping Away was really nice - but too long. The mix was weird at times, Keith's guitar jumping way out over everything else in the mix during JJF and SFTD was hilarious. Matt Clifford needs to learn how to tune a French horn. That was awful.

With all due respect, it is hard to give an accurate review of how the band played when you sit in the rafters. I saw the live feed of JJF and its intentional the way they turn keith up and down during those songs. They have the best sound guys in the business and i think it sounds quite nice when they do that. Sounded very powerful.

What is awesome about this review? Maybe i need to read it again?

It seems the point is you read something and part of it you glazed over, which I highlighted in bold. You purposely ignored what I said then made it sound like being in the rafters wasn't good enough for an "accurate review" when what I stated was how easy it was to be accurate.

Should I have done the entire "review" as a headline?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 16, 2019 17:24

jumpingjackflash5
Very good solo on Sympathy by Keith. Yes Keith's guitar is a bit too loud. Should be less on next shows.

[www.youtube.com]

Curious to see Charlie carrying these sticks all the way back to the main stage. Why not throw them?

Date: July 16, 2019 17:33

muncy23
steffialicia
Do you actually think your "performance" in any area is going to be the same at 75 as it is at 30, 40, 50, 60? Keeping that in mind, why bother seeing them live any longer? In your view, they are clearly not up to the standard you expect. I believe that this tour is one of their last, if not their last. Very soon, you won't have them to nitpick and bash any longer. I'm riding this train happily and joyfully until it's end.

Very well said!!! Some people get it.

Just to add, i think if you go with the mindset of looking for mistakes and worrying about the setlist, the show wont be as good (in your own view). I don't go to see Bob Dylan and say hey, he doesnt sound like the record. I take it in for what it is. It's the style of music that they now play, but guess what, its still art and you just have to appreciate that art differently now than you once did. If you look at Beethoven's last piano sonatas (for example) you listen to those pieces differently than you would his early stuff and understand the circumstances in which he was writing/playing.

Fantastic way to understand what I wrote.

I didn't go to the show to purposely hear if Charlie is losing it, I simply made an observation of some weird things that happened in some songs. He's generally done that over many tours but it seemed a bit... Mick rushed some of the lyrics, perhaps Charlie was correcting that.

That's not a slag about Charlie's age. You don't have to come off as a wet muffin because someone states an observation about something for you to get out your THEY'RE REALLY OLD WHAT DO YOU EXPECT flag.

Keith screws up a lot and I get a kick out of it. Go listen to something from when they were 'TGRNRBITW' and there's plenty of screw ups.

I didn't dance around like the drunks that did - I listened, I watched. LSTNT was pedestrian at best.

In your eyes I was anticipating them to not be like they were in the late 30s when they played it "with energy".

Under My Thumb was too long.

In your eyes I'm using a standard that goes back to, what, 1966?

It doesn't matter how much I paid, I saw them. I'm not a fanboy. There were some great things and some bad things but nothing awful like in other shows.

My expectations were very few, mainly I wondered if they'd open with SFM and will they play Sad Sad Sad. Keith NOT doing Happy was interesting. They didn't play IORR which was great.

If people can't accept a straight ahead account of what someone saw and heard then YOU are the one with the issue. I'm the kind of fan that can admit when something stinks. It may be difficult for some people to believe but not everyone here writes the same way about how great something is or how awful something is when they write about it. It wasn't a GREAT show performance wise, it was good. Hence the underwhelming part. This may not make it into the synapses but they're just going through the motions and they do an excellent job of it. Every now and then something rises above, and that's Midnight Rambler.

A fanboy knobber hears nothing bad, it's all great. The Stones would probably ask those people, Are you actually listening?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 16, 2019 17:36

jumpontopofmebaby
Still can’t belive 19 songs. That’s the reward you get for rescheduling your travel plans staying an extra day. Sitting out a hurricane etc. This show should of had extra songs. This was a slap in the face period.

Seems the show fizzled out the same way "hurricane" Barry did...only 19 songs?!!!
Maybe the long layoff between shows took them out of their "groove" and made them lethargic.
Might need to have another rehearsal before the next show, and hope they find the stamina to get back to 20 songs or more.

Date: July 16, 2019 17:42

Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby

Seems the show fizzled out the same way "hurricane" Barry did...only 19 songs?!!!
Maybe the long layoff between shows took them out of their "groove" and made them lethargic.
Might need to have another rehearsal before the next show, and hope they find the stamina to get back to 20 songs or more.

I'd rather hear another song than 5 more minutes of a live loop of Under My Thumb or a quadruple edition of the extended ending of Tumbling Dice. But if a longer UMT or TD means I don't have to be glazed over by IORR, well...

Posted by: lovingcup22 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 17:48

ExileFromNJ
19 tunes I'm surprised at that

Not good news that 20 songs has become 19 already, especially when coupled with the very high ticket prices.

Posted by: firebird ()
Date: July 16, 2019 17:51

Just listened the whole show on Rustys Facebook. Another great show but bring back Lisa please.

Date: July 16, 2019 17:55

GasLightStreet
Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby

I'd rather hear another song than 5 more minutes of a live loop of Under My Thumb or a quadruple edition of the extended ending of Tumbling Dice. But if a longer UMT or TD means I don't have to be glazed over by IORR, well...

I thought IORR was fantastic at Chicago #2 - the first time I've thought positve about that tune being played live in eons.
Alot of it might have been the thrill of being there and seeing them for the first time in several years (last time was the dismal *Vegas '16 show) and after the rollercoaster of postponements, etc. , but it really stood out as great....the entire show was really, especially in comparison to the last time I saw them.

As for Under My Thumb, the studio version is obviously an all time classic and it's nice to see and hear it live (sometimes), but a shame Live With Me didn't win the vote as it would have added some energy to the show vs. plodding along through the motions. Hopefully it wins one of these damn votes, and if not maybe/hopefully they'll decide to play it anyways!

As long as Midnight Rambler remains in the setlist - always the ultimate highlight imo - everything else is gravy.

Posted by: bobo ()

jumpontopofmebaby

Wow, not 20 songs, just 19? How dare they? Is that really legal?

Posted by: Irix ()

lovingcup22
ExileFromNJ

19 tunes I'm surprised at that

Not good news that 20 songs has become 19 already, especially when coupled with the very high ticket prices.

In 2013 they started in LA with 23 songs and ended with 19 in Hyde Park - [iorr.org] . Similar in 2015: start with 20 songs, end with 18 - [iorr.org] ....

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 16, 2019 17:58

only 19 songs - Keith should have done Hurricane and sat down to end his 2 songs now that would of been something .

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 16, 2019 18:03

Can't believe people are so obsessed over if they play 19 or 20 songs, big difference... Some of the best shows on the Licks-tour were only 19 songs so it seems very reasonable they play the same number of songs now 16 years later. I'd prefer if they play 18 songs and scratch IORR and Satisfaction from the setlist.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 16, 2019 18:03

By the looks of that crowd, attendance was pretty damn impressive....considering the HURRICANE & the flooding! As far as Mick having a cold in Boston, every show I've seen over the past ten years, Mick blows his nose...I notice the tissues and how often he uses them....I'm not certain he HAS a cold...allergies maybe....I didn't notice any difference in his speaking ( or singing ) voice. Boston was a longer set, 2 1/4 hours, not sure why but I'll TAKE IT...again, we're back to the nit-picking. I DO agree however that 19 songs, even 20, is way too few....and I do hate drawing comparisons BUT if Paul can play 36 songs, OUR BOYS can surely perform 25!

Date: July 16, 2019 18:05

TheBlockbuster
Can't believe people are so obsessed over if they play 19 or 20 songs, big difference... Some of the best shows on the Licks-tour were only 19 songs so it seems very reasonable they play the same number of songs now 16 years later. I'd prefer if they play 18 songs and scratch IORR and Satisfaction from the setlist.

Can't believe someone would want Satisfaction scratched from the setlist!!! eye popping smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 16, 2019 18:06

GasLightStreet
Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby

Honestly don't get the mentality that one less song than the previous show(s) somehow definitively equates to a lesser show. Running time of the show? Sure, one could argue that "we got five less minutes" or whatever legitimately I suppose. The same fans that feel somehow cheated because of one less song, are the same ones who wail about that extra song, typically, like IORR as you express here.

It's like going to a fancy buffet, and they are out of the biscuits you like, the whole thing somehow then becomes a bust and reason for tantrum, even though it was delicious and they are extremely full cool smiley

Date: July 16, 2019 18:07

Hairball
GasLightStreet
Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby

I thought IORR was fantastic at Chicago #2 - the first time I've thought positve about that tune being played live in eons.
Alot of it might have been the thrill of being there and seeing them for the first time in several years (last time was the dismal *Vegas '16 show) and after the rollercoaster of postponements, etc. , but it really stood out as great....the entire show was really, especially in comparison to the last time I saw them.

As for Under My Thumb, the studio version is obviously an all time classic and it's nice to see and hear it live (sometimes), but a shame Live With Me didn't win the vote as it would have added some energy to the show vs. plodding along through the motions. Hopefully it wins one of these damn votes, and if not maybe/hopefully they'll decide to play it anyways!

As long as Midnight Rambler remains in the setlist - always the ultimate highlight imo - everything else is gravy.

Oddly enough it gave me a little bit more understanding of why Mick feels the way he does about not playing new songs even though UMT is slow and wasn't a hit single. Weird. It was a bit of a pillow.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: July 16, 2019 18:09

I for one am just excited they are still playing live and we get the chance to see them! And they are still very good. The nonsense over 5 less minutes of a show, or a standard set list, seems to miss the point entirely, but hey that's just me. Some people live to complain, instead of seeing the glass half full.

Date: July 16, 2019 18:11

mickschix
By the looks of that crowd, attendance was pretty damn impressive....considering the HURRICANE & the flooding! As far as Mick having a cold in Boston, every show I've seen over the past ten years, Mick blows his nose...I notice the tissues and how often he uses them....I'm not certain he HAS a cold...allergies maybe....I didn't notice any difference in his speaking ( or singing ) voice. Boston was a longer set, 2 1/4 hours, not sure why but I'll TAKE IT...again, we're back to the nit-picking. I DO agree however that 19 songs, even 20, is way too few....and I do hate drawing comparisons BUT if Paul can play 36 songs, OUR BOYS can surely perform 25!

Well... saying HURRICANE is a big joke since it was next to nothing to begin with and there wasn't any flooding in New Orleans from Barry.

Perhaps it's not necessarily if the Stones can play 25... it's could Keith play 25. That's not exactly a jab at Keith - remember, his idea of a perfect rock'n'roll show is 45 minutes. I don't understand how he botched Gimme Shelter but he recovered eventually. That may be part of the reason why they don't do as many songs, even though some songs go way too long, which may be a good thing for someone.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 16, 2019 18:19

GasLightStreet
Oddly enough it gave me a little bit more understanding of why Mick feels the way he does about not playing new songs even though UMT is slow and wasn't a hit single. Weird. It was a bit of a pillow.

It`s all down to Mick. Mick doesn`t want to play rare songs. Period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-16 18:20 by noughties.

Posted by: Jeter1984 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 18:21

I think for the money they charge, the number should be 20-22 every night.

I don't expect more than that given the energy and effort Jagger brings every night.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 18:22

Heard this on a music doc while packing in my hotel room this morning, and it fit perfect: "If you wanna play you gotta play for the people" Les Paul

And the Stones did just that, all my local friends who went have already texted stating what an amazing night they had. I had no idea they played 19, 20, or 25 songs cuz I wasn't counting as they played, just happy they did -- And that opening version of Jumping Jack Flash was beautiful smiling smiley

Now on the road to Jacksonville..

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 16, 2019 19:12

I was not being ungrateful, believe me. I am thankful every day that the ROLLING STONES still exist and that Mick is very alive & well. I've ALWAYS thought they should play a longer set...15 years ago, even during No Security..I loved the set list but felt they could easily have done 25 songs. Now I do get it....with Keith's difficulty with his arthritis I understand he can't do much more. Wishful thinking...I just want the show to go on & on...it's sad when they leave the stage. They are a MIRACLE BAND!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 7 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home