Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
The Rolling Stones - New Orleans LA 15-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 16, 2019 13:51

CHRIS GRAINGER

Date: July 16, 2019 13:51

CHRIS GRAINGER

Date: July 16, 2019 13:53

CHRIS GRAINGER

Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: July 16, 2019 13:59

caschimann
Just 5 pages after show finish - that's not much.
Can't remember any other gig with a lame online attendance like this.
Strange, as the show info thread was 27 + pages.

There were good scopes and Facebook-feeds. I guess people watched the show instead of discussing it here?

Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: July 16, 2019 14:24

Still can’t belive 19 songs. That’s the reward you get for rescheduling your travel plans staying an extra day. Sitting out a hurricane etc. This show should of had extra songs. This was a slap in the face period.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 14:35

That. Chris Grainger took some fabulous photos!

Posted by: muncy23 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 14:39

GasLightStreet
Sat at the top of the dome at the end (it's lower than the sides in terms of the football field), just to the left of the middle of the stage, and the sound was quite quiet up there so it was easy to hear everything.

They sounded good. Midnight Rambler was the best song of the night. Paint It Black had a very weird vibe to it - it was much slower, which works well, but it kind of oozed along. Ronnie was in fantastic form. The acoustic set was a bit rough, they kind of seem to lack confidence, although Angie was pretty good - Charlie even did the hi-hat flare. I know they don't but it wasn't exactly... I dunno. Maybe it was the crowd, which didn't seem to recognize either of Keith's songs or Sad Sad Sad (Mick said "This is one from STEEL WHEELS"). Keith didn't slaughter the Sad Sad Sad solo like he has been.

I was waiting for a good one though - and the encore delivered it: Keith botched the entire opening of Gimme Shelter. Throughout the show I noticed something I've heard in recent live videos - Charlie seems to not only miss some snare beats but there's a weird moving of the timing in some songs, almost like someone bumped the machine.

Overall it was underwhelming. Keith's Slipping Away was really nice - but too long. The mix was weird at times, Keith's guitar jumping way out over everything else in the mix during JJF and SFTD was hilarious. Matt Clifford needs to learn how to tune a French horn. That was awful.

With all due respect, it is hard to give an accurate review of how the band played when you sit in the rafters. I saw the live feed of JJF and its intentional the way they turn keith up and down during those songs. They have the best sound guys in the business and i think it sounds quite nice when they do that. Sounded very powerful.

Posted by: ttutone ()
Date: July 16, 2019 14:44

jumpontopofmebaby
Still can’t belive 19 songs. That’s the reward you get for rescheduling your travel plans staying an extra day. Sitting out a hurricane etc. This show should of had extra songs. This was a slap in the face period.

That was my thought too. Maybe bc they have one less day of rest between shows now? I am sure it was an inconvenience for the band too.

I just hop that it goes back to 20 in Jax and for the rest of the tour.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: July 16, 2019 14:45

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-17 05:15 by tonyc.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 14:45

EXCEPT if the review is awesome, of course...

muncy23
GasLightStreet
Sat at the top of the dome at the end (it's lower than the sides in terms of the football field), just to the left of the middle of the stage, and the sound was quite quiet up there so it was easy to hear everything.

They sounded good. Midnight Rambler was the best song of the night. Paint It Black had a very weird vibe to it - it was much slower, which works well, but it kind of oozed along. Ronnie was in fantastic form. The acoustic set was a bit rough, they kind of seem to lack confidence, although Angie was pretty good - Charlie even did the hi-hat flare. I know they don't but it wasn't exactly... I dunno. Maybe it was the crowd, which didn't seem to recognize either of Keith's songs or Sad Sad Sad (Mick said "This is one from STEEL WHEELS"). Keith didn't slaughter the Sad Sad Sad solo like he has been.

I was waiting for a good one though - and the encore delivered it: Keith botched the entire opening of Gimme Shelter. Throughout the show I noticed something I've heard in recent live videos - Charlie seems to not only miss some snare beats but there's a weird moving of the timing in some songs, almost like someone bumped the machine.

Overall it was underwhelming. Keith's Slipping Away was really nice - but too long. The mix was weird at times, Keith's guitar jumping way out over everything else in the mix during JJF and SFTD was hilarious. Matt Clifford needs to learn how to tune a French horn. That was awful.

With all due respect, it is hard to give an accurate review of how the band played when you sit in the rafters. I saw the live feed of JJF and its intentional the way they turn keith up and down during those songs. They have the best sound guys in the business and i think it sounds quite nice when they do that. Sounded very powerful.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 16, 2019 14:49

jumpontopofmebaby

It depends, if they still played the same length of the other shows, maybe they jammed out the later songs for a bit longer. Maybe they didnt. Europe was a 19 song set last year and each one was over 2 hrs. That extra song has been Ride em on down and Rocks Off, along with Mercy Mercy in DC. So if you dont hear ride em on down, its not going to ruin the night. Maybe if you dont hear Rocks Off, it might ruin the night lol

Date: July 16, 2019 14:50

powerage78

muncy23
GasLightStreet

What is awesome about this review? Maybe i need to read it again?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 16, 2019 15:03

DandelionPowderman
caschimann

There were good scopes and Facebook-feeds. I guess people watched the show instead of discussing it here?

Couple of hundred people watching scopes and FB feeds most of the time (not necessarily from iorr). One or two of the usual chatty live-thread suspects missing in action too. Not much in the way of pictures available to post. We had one very consistent feed throughout the show, so not much need to keep posting and reposting about that, either. Nice to be able to sit back and enjoy listening.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 15:07

powerage78

muncy23
GasLightStreet

I appreciate an HONEST review rather than mindless gushing.

Even my review, when I go back and read it, was maybe a bit too effusive, but as I've said, it's hard to be brutally honest when the adrenaline is kicking and you're there live...not to mention after you've spent a lot of money and traveled.

You end up kind of talking yourself into believing they were much better than they actually were.

Date: July 16, 2019 15:13

muncy23
jumpontopofmebaby

It depends, if they still played the same length of the other shows, maybe they jammed out the later songs for a bit longer. Maybe they didnt. Europe was a 19 song set last year and each one was over 2 hrs. That extra song has been Ride em on down and Rocks Off, along with Mercy Mercy in DC. So if you dont hear ride em on down, its not going to ruin the night. Maybe if you dont hear Rocks Off, it might ruin the night lol

Maybe the same length. But who cares go longer extra songs. Reward the fans that stuck it out. Don’t forget the fans. Without them. What would they be doing

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 16, 2019 15:19

Do you actually think your "performance" in any area is going to be the same at 75 as it is at 30, 40, 50, 60? Keeping that in mind, why bother seeing them live any longer? In your view, they are clearly not up to the standard you expect. I believe that this tour is one of their last, if not their last. Very soon, you won't have them to nitpick and bash any longer. I'm riding this train happily and joyfully until it's end.

Posted by: lamothem ()
Date: July 16, 2019 15:29

100% agree with steffialcia!

Date: July 16, 2019 15:30

steffialicia
Do you actually think your "performance" in any area is going to be the same at 75 as it is at 30, 40, 50, 60? Keeping that in mind, why bother seeing them live any longer? In your view, they are clearly not up to the standard you expect. I believe that this tour is one of their last, if not their last. Very soon, you won't have them to nitpick and bash any longer. I'm riding this train happily and joyfully until it's end.

Very well said!!! Some people get it.

Just to add, i think if you go with the mindset of looking for mistakes and worrying about the setlist, the show wont be as good (in your own view). I don't go to see Bob Dylan and say hey, he doesnt sound like the record. I take it in for what it is. It's the style of music that they now play, but guess what, its still art and you just have to appreciate that art differently now than you once did. If you look at Beethoven's last piano sonatas (for example) you listen to those pieces differently than you would his early stuff and understand the circumstances in which he was writing/playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-16 15:34 by muncy23.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 15:38

While Mick was soo unbelievable good in Washington DC, encouraging the crowd even between the songs and never saving his voice through the whole concert (you could see him smiling after he hit the great high notes), he started getting a cold in Boston which resulted once again in the saving of his voice during the last and this concert and it's probably one of the reasons for the 19 song set they played today. Mick was not 100% up to his game and reminded me more of 2018s shows where he needed to save his voice during the last couple of songs on some concerts. I especially noted that while seeing them in Prague.

It is not as bad as in Prague tho, I hope he can get back into the shape he was in at the beginning of the tour, then we will get 20 songs and Let It Bleed, Monkey Man and that stuff again. But it's a bit concerning that 8 days of rest obviously haven't been enough.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: July 16, 2019 15:40

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
caschimann

Couple of hundred people watching scopes and FB feeds most of the time (not necessarily from iorr). One or two of the usual chatty live-thread suspects missing in action too. Not much in the way of pictures available to post. We had one very consistent feed throughout the show, so not much need to keep posting and reposting about that, either. Nice to be able to sit back and enjoy listening.

Here in Europe it's in the middle of the night. If it's in a weekend that's no problem, but on a weekday, some people have to go to their work the next day.winking smiley

Date: July 16, 2019 15:43

muncy23
steffialicia

Just to add, i think if you go with the mindset of looking for mistakes and worrying about the setlist, the show wont be as good (in your own view). I don't go to see Bob Dylan and say hey, he doesnt sound like the record. I take it in for what it is. It's the style of music that they now play, but guess what, its still art and you just have to appreciate that art differently now than you once did. If you look at Beethoven's last piano sonatas (for example) you listen to those pieces differently than you would his early stuff and understand the circumstances in which he was writing/playing.
The two aren't mutually exclusive. OF COURSE I appreciate everything the Stones are giving us every year...it's wonderful for us fans that we can still see them perform 57 years on, but I'm not going to sugarcoat things when I see egregious mistakes.

I know bloopers are part of their onstage legacy, they always have been, but it feels different and extra awkward when they occur at their ages.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 16, 2019 15:47

steffialicia
Maybe the way a fan enjoy a live show is subjective; although the Stones are old an logically less adept at playing R&R than when they were 25, lot of people believe they are playing at their best. They reach that conclusion after seeing them live. I am one of those and my last experience was on 07/03/19.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 16, 2019 15:49

"The Stones are grizzled, yes. But still great". (Reviewer Keith Spera).

That's exactly what I see, attending their gigs, in the years 2014 - 2018.
You, guys, can complain (even) because, yesterday, they played 19 songs, witch - if I remember correctly- was the number of 2003 concerts. When they were 16 years younger...

Date: July 16, 2019 15:52

keefriff99
muncy23
steffialicia

The two aren't mutually exclusive. OF COURSE I appreciate everything the Stones are giving us every year...it's wonderful for us fans that we can still see them perform 57 years on, but I'm not going to sugarcoat things when I see egregious mistakes.

I know bloopers are part of their onstage legacy, they always have been, but it feels different and extra awkward when they occur at their ages.

They have traditionally played out strongly from their bloopers, and that is a great legacy of the Stones, but they don't do it as powerfully as they once did. Nevertheless, Stones show have never been perfect, and its just all part of the greatness.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 16, 2019 15:53

rollmops
steffialicia
Maybe the way a fan enjoy a live show is subjective; although the Stones are old an logically less adept at playing R&R than when they were 25, lot of people believe they are playing at their best. They reach that conclusion after seeing them live. I am one of those and my last experience was on 07/03/19.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Then we're on the same page.

Date: July 16, 2019 15:57

If i were to complain about anything, I think it would be It's Only Rock n' Roll, which needs to be retired. Looks like Ill get it in Jacksonville since they didnt play it tonite. That is a momentum killer and doesnt belong at #2. Hell, i remember seeing them close a show out with it in 2005. That equally sucked!!

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 16:12

Great pictures, whoever took those....

Date: July 16, 2019 16:16

stickyfingers101
Great pictures, whoever took those....
Definitely...amazing quality.

Date: July 16, 2019 16:17

jumpontopofmebaby
muncy23
jumpontopofmebaby

Maybe the same length. But who cares go longer extra songs. Reward the fans that stuck it out. Don’t forget the fans. Without them. What would they be doing

"Ride Em On Down" was a definite highlight when I went.

But,it's been the same excuses since 2003 when they 1st dropped the set list down to 19 songs. People claiming that they extend the other songs to make up for it. I don't buy it. They just simply dropped a song.

In this case,they should have waited at least 1 more show before reducing the set list (if they must). I will cut them a little bit more slack than I did for the 19 song set lists in 2003 because of their age. However,they rescheduled this concert TWICE.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: July 16, 2019 16:29

Winning Ugly VXII
jumpontopofmebaby
muncy23
jumpontopofmebaby

"Ride Em On Down" was a definite highlight when I went.

But,it's been the same excuses since 2003 when they 1st dropped the set list down to 19 songs. People claiming that they extend the other songs to make up for it. I don't buy it. They just simply dropped a song.

In this case,they should have waited at least 1 more show before reducing the set list (if they must). I will cut them a little bit more slack than I did for the 19 song set lists in 2003 because of their age. However,they rescheduled this concert TWICE.
My Lord, some of you folks could take the fun out of anything...

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home