Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: July 16, 2019 07:01

Rusty Mozier, in case you see this, thank you for streaming the whole show! grinning smiley>grinning smiley<

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Re: New Orleans show 15-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: ExileFromNJ ()
Date: July 16, 2019 07:02

19 tunes I'm surprised at that

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: July 16, 2019 07:04

Jagger was on tonight, crowd seemed enthralled

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 07:04

Thank you very much, Rusty. You did a fantastic job!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 16, 2019 07:05

For those late to the party, Rusty's stream on replay here: [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: laurel ()
Date: July 16, 2019 07:15

Rusty...you're a rock star!!!!!

Posted by: LovingCupola ()
Date: July 16, 2019 07:25

Thank you Rusty!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 16, 2019 07:26

Goodnight - or good morning, as it is here (5.26 am).

Date: July 16, 2019 07:55

Rusty delivered bigtime

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 16, 2019 08:40

Sat at the top of the dome at the end (it's lower than the sides in terms of the football field), just to the left of the middle of the stage, and the sound was quite quiet up there so it was easy to hear everything.

They sounded good. Midnight Rambler was the best song of the night. Paint It Black had a very weird vibe to it - it was much slower, which works well, but it kind of oozed along. Ronnie was in fantastic form. The acoustic set was a bit rough, they kind of seem to lack confidence, although Angie was pretty good - Charlie even did the hi-hat flare. I know they don't but it wasn't exactly... I dunno. Maybe it was the crowd, which didn't seem to recognize either of Keith's songs or Sad Sad Sad (Mick said "This is one from STEEL WHEELS"). Keith didn't slaughter the Sad Sad Sad solo like he has been.

I was waiting for a good one though - and the encore delivered it: Keith botched the entire opening of Gimme Shelter. Throughout the show I noticed something I've heard in recent live videos - Charlie seems to not only miss some snare beats but there's a weird moving of the timing in some songs, almost like someone bumped the machine.

Overall it was underwhelming. Keith's Slipping Away was really nice - but too long. The mix was weird at times, Keith's guitar jumping way out over everything else in the mix during JJF and SFTD was hilarious. Matt Clifford needs to learn how to tune a French horn. That was awful.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 16, 2019 09:25

How full was the Superdome? This show wasn't selling well from the start and after the hurricane scare I'm sure many people returned tickets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-16 09:55 by TornAndFried.

Date: July 16, 2019 09:26

On the feeds i saw it looked pretty full, but i didn't exactly see the rafters as a qualification

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 16, 2019 09:38

Just 5 pages after show finish - that's not much.
Can't remember any other gig with a lame online attendance like this.
Strange, as the show info thread was 27 + pages.

Posted by: astmalia ()
Date: July 16, 2019 09:42

How to fill 27+ pages with the fact that they played "Under My Thumb"?

Date: July 16, 2019 10:00

19 songs. Makes me want to hurl. Wtf. I just don’t get it.

Posted by: Icetraders ()
Date: July 16, 2019 10:42

UNDER MY THUMB

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 10:50

Well...drinking smiley
[iorr.org]

grinning smiley

GasLightStreet
Sat at the top of the dome at the end (it's lower than the sides in terms of the football field), just to the left of the middle of the stage, and the sound was quite quiet up there so it was easy to hear everything.

They sounded good. Midnight Rambler was the best song of the night. Paint It Black had a very weird vibe to it - it was much slower, which works well, but it kind of oozed along. Ronnie was in fantastic form. The acoustic set was a bit rough, they kind of seem to lack confidence, although Angie was pretty good - Charlie even did the hi-hat flare. I know they don't but it wasn't exactly... I dunno. Maybe it was the crowd, which didn't seem to recognize either of Keith's songs or Sad Sad Sad (Mick said "This is one from STEEL WHEELS"). Keith didn't slaughter the Sad Sad Sad solo like he has been.

I was waiting for a good one though - and the encore delivered it: Keith botched the entire opening of Gimme Shelter. Throughout the show I noticed something I've heard in recent live videos - Charlie seems to not only miss some snare beats but there's a weird moving of the timing in some songs, almost like someone bumped the machine.

Overall it was underwhelming. Keith's Slipping Away was really nice - but too long. The mix was weird at times, Keith's guitar jumping way out over everything else in the mix during JJF and SFTD was hilarious. Matt Clifford needs to learn how to tune a French horn. That was awful.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-16 10:54 by powerage78.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 16, 2019 11:25

Official Setlist New Orleans 15-Jul-2019 :

"I was born in a Crossfire Hurricane... Thank you for an amazing night in New Orleans"

[Twitter.com] · [www.Facebook.com] · [www.Instagram.com] · Large version

Setlist by Ronnie Wood:

[Twitter.com] · Large version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-16 11:35 by Irix.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: July 16, 2019 11:56

Icetraders
UNDER MY THUMB

video: [youtu.be]

Uptempo!

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 16, 2019 12:16

[www.youtube.com]

1978 Superdome

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 16, 2019 12:31

Satisfaction
[www.youtube.com]

Gimme Shelter
[www.youtube.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-16 12:35 by powerage78.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 16, 2019 13:22

astmalia
How to fill 27+ pages with the fact that they played "Under My Thumb"?

smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 16, 2019 13:29

GasLightStreet

Thanks for an honest review. thumbs up Charlie's softer way of playing and occasionally missed snare beats is IMO the biggest change in the band's sound in later years. But it's hard for any 78 year old drummer to play with power and energy for 2 hours straight so we can't expect him play like in his 50s or 60s anymore I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-16 13:31 by TheBlockbuster.

The Rolling Stones - New Orleans LA 15-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 16, 2019 13:33

Concert review: the Rolling Stones rocked New Orleans' Superdome in defiance of age

BY KEITH SPERA | Staff writer Jul 15, 2019

CHRIS GRAINGER

"We've been on a bit of a journey to get here tonight," Mick Jagger declared at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, three songs into the Rolling Stones' long-awaited return to New Orleans.

That journey consisted of three segments: a 25-year gap since the Stones' last New Orleans concert, a two-month delay after a canceled Jazz Fest gig and a 24-hour postponement necessitated by Hurricane Barry.

But finally, at 9 p.m. Monday, following an opening set by local favorites Dumpstaphunk and the Soul Rebels, the Rolling Stones lit into "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and, in defiance of fate and time, banged out two hours of still-vital rock 'n' roll.

They first played the Superdome 41 years ago; Monday was their fifth visit to a room vast enough to accommodate multiple climate zones. In such an expanse, sound quality and the experience of a show can vary greatly.

From where I was down front to the right of the stage runway, the audio was clear and well-balanced, loud but not oppressive. That made it easy to see and hear that the Rolling Stones are still very much an actual band.

On a stage flanked by multi-story LED walls, guitarists Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards frequently locked eyes, watched what the other was or was not doing, and responded accordingly. “Pick it up, Ron,” Richards said as he handed off to Wood for a solo in “Before They Make Me Run.”

From behind his modest drum kit, the 78-year-old Charlie Watts, his countenance that of an especially prim parliamentarian, held the whole thing together. Jagger introduced Watts as being “fresh from Preservation Hall” (both Watts and Wood visited the Hall this past week). Watts supplied the essential groove for “Honky Tonk Woman” and stamped exclamation points on most songs.

Jagger was Jagger. He largely defined the role of a rock frontman and is still very much up to the task, the ultimate endorsement for the restorative powers of a new heart valve. He shimmied, spun, pointed and pursed his lips, danced booty-to-booty with backing vocalist Sasha Allen, and holstered his microphone in the waistband of his skinny black jeans.

He sashayed and pantomimed as Wood and Richards played out the long country coda of “Tumbling Dice,” then wiped his brow in mock exhaustion. He strapped on a guitar during “Sad Sad Sad” and elsewhere and blew gales of blues harmonica on “Midnight Rambler.” He wholly inhabited “Sympathy for the Devil.”

His singing voice was fully present all night, as was his banter. “I’m very sorry we missed the Jazz Fest,” he said. “I’m sure it was great. I heard it was great.”

He joked that the Stones, after Barry shifted Sunday’s scheduled concert to Monday, were now the only band to have had an indoor show rained out. Having arrived in New Orleans, one of the great restaurant cities, last Wednesday, he was looking forward to jambalaya, po-boys and beignets, but “thanks to Barry, I had to eat room service for four days.”

As he led Watts, Richards and Wood down the long runway to a satellite stage, he referenced the Superdome’s other use, as the home of the Saints and the scene of last season's notorious officiating mishap: “We just walked past the 10th yard line. Let’s hope there’s not another no-call.”

New Orleans got 19 songs, one fewer than the first five stops on this leg of the Stones' No Filter Tour. But most songs stretched well beyond their radio versions. During “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” Jagger pushed Wood onto the runway for a deep-hued, jagged solo. Watts then picked up the tempo for a clap-along gospel outro.

For every show, an online fan vote selects one song in the set list. New Orleans got “Under My Thumb,” with Jagger omitting “pet” from the “sweetest pet in the world” lyric.

The core four settled on the satellite stage with acoustic guitars for “Angie” and a nimble “Dead Flowers” that highlighted the latter’s country accents.

Fully amplified once again, Richards' cannon-shot riffs detonated the refrain of “Sympathy for the Devil”; he eased back for a Telecaster solo on “Honky Tonk Woman.” His craggy lead vocals topped “Slippin’ Away” and “Before They Make Me Run.”

The supporting musicians have been with the band for years, and it showed in the responsibility and respect they were granted. Longtime keyboardist Chuck Leavell tapped out the cowbell intro of “Honky Tonk Woman.” Bassist Darryl Jones fitted “Miss You” with its disco pulse, then dazzled Richards and Wood with an especially funky, finger-picked solo before Tim Ries teed off a saxophone solo.

Unlike many bands, the Rolling Stones are reportedly all organic – every sound is made live. Thus, Matt Clifford briefly traded his keyboard for a flugelhorn to open “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”

The Stones are not about precision; swashbuckling is not science. So what if Richards fumbled the brooding intro to “Gimme Shelter”? He punched a hole in “Sympathy for the Devil.”

Maybe “Paint It Black” sounded a bit dated, but the subsequent “Midnight Rambler,” an epic of more than nine minutes, was brash and bold and of the moment.

“You want a little lagniappe?” Jagger asked before concluding the regular set with an invigorated “Brown Sugar” goosed by Karl Denson’s sax.

In the encore, Jagger squared off with a wailing Allen on “Gimme Shelter" and Richards carved the angular riff of the final “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.”

It is virtually impossible, in the present day, to consider the Rolling Stones in and of themselves. They carry with them with 50 years of legend and legacy, decades of darkness and light, all of it writ large across the pop culture landscape. They forged the rock ‘n’ roll archetype and stamped it with a logo now as recognizable as McDonald’s.

They operate in a paradox of high and low expectations. Are they in fact the world’s greatest rock ‘n’ roll band? Conversely, how can they, at this point, possibly be anything but a shadow of their former selves?

Ultimately, the anticipation and hype boils down to flesh and blood musicians and singers, with all their inherent flaws and frailties.

Jagger’s heart blip once again reminded him and his bandmates that they are much closer to the end than the beginning; their game has gone into extra innings. With that in mind, they seem to have unburdened themselves of considerable baggage and achieved a clarity of purpose.

The appreciation for what they have, expressed in their interaction and warm smiles, seemed genuine.

The Stones are grizzled, yes. But still great.

[www.nola.com]

Date: July 16, 2019 13:35

CHRIS GRAINGER

Date: July 16, 2019 13:37

CHRIS GRAINGER

Date: July 16, 2019 13:38

CHRIS GRAINGER

Date: July 16, 2019 13:40

CHRIS GRAINGER

Date: July 16, 2019 13:41

CHRIS GRAINGER

Date: July 16, 2019 13:42

CHRIS GRAINGER

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home