Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Happy 57th Anniversary, Rollin' Stones!
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 12, 2019 10:22

Lest anyone forget the storm that rolled into West London on this day; July 12, 1962.

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

The reported set list for their first show (acccording to Ian Stewart's diary)

[www.setlist.fm]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 10:33 by TornAndFried.

Re: Happy 57th Anniversary, Rollin' Stones!
Posted by: Infamy ()
Date: July 12, 2019 12:29

They should do this setlist sometime. thumbs up

Ray
15 and counting. No stopping. Stockholm next.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 12, 2019 13:13

57 years. crazy!!

hot smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 12, 2019 13:30

His Majesty

57 years. crazy!!

And still playin' in front of 1.5 million spectators and their recent releases are still in the Top-10.

So: Happy Anniversary - and on to the 60th .... smileys with beer

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 12, 2019 13:39

Infamy
They should do this setlist sometime. thumbs up

Yes they should, or one very like it .

It would be a bit like the live equivalent of B&L .

[They could always top and tail the show with SMU and Satisfaction ...to satisfy Mick's borderline paranoia about what fans want to hear.grinning smiley]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 12, 2019 14:02

Not forgetting that Charlie was also busy that night.
The very reason why the Stones got the gig in the first place.
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 12, 2019 14:13

Happy Birthday, Rolling Stones.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: July 12, 2019 18:33

Deltics
Not forgetting that Charlie was also busy that night.
The very reason why the Stones got the gig in the first place.
[www.youtube.com]

Jack Bruce was playing with Alex Korner as well. July 12, 1962 was a very good night for R & B in London!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 02:04 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 13, 2019 01:55

1962, right?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 13, 2019 03:38

Officially less than three years until their 60th!!

I think they reach the milestone.
And then they take their bow...

What a ride.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 13, 2019 03:49

MisterDDDD

What a ride.

Agreed - was only 5 or 6 when I saw them on the Ed Sull, show. I was eating sketti. the tv was black and white. We had an Irish setter, named Red and a rotary dial telephone. Life was simple in those days and the family car was a Comet But while the world was changing at the same time so crazily fast from a sociological standpoint.

Those days were great for me. Satisfaction was just the teaser of the music I would soon love.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: July 13, 2019 04:18

And my husband’s birthday! Love you Stones!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2019 04:35

July 12, 1962...they're one year and a few days older than I am...keep on rolling! thumbs up

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 13, 2019 05:27

The Rolling Stones have been a major part of my life for 48 years now. I am really happy they are still around, and that I have an understanding family. I think they will still be touring by July 12, 2022, 60 and counting.

This was a page I made for the 40th anniversary i.e. back in 2002:

The Rolling Stones 40 years anniversary
Marquee Club, London, July 12, 1962

And this is RollingStone.com making a reference to the above page on the 50th anniversary:

50 Years Ago Today, the Rolling Stones Played Their First Gig

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 05:43 by bv.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: July 13, 2019 06:07

Agreed - was only 5 or 6 when I saw them on the Ed Sull, show. I was eating sketti. the tv was black and white. We had an Irish setter, named Red and a rotary dial telephone. Life was simple in those days and the family car was a Comet But while the world was changing at the same time so crazily fast from a sociological standpoint.

Those days were great for me. Satisfaction was just the teaser of the music I would soon love.[/quote]

Awesome memories! Love the detail.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 13, 2019 10:14

MisterDDDD

What a ride.

Holy Moly, wouldn't that be something !? 60 bloody years. People are born, people live, people die, the sun rises, the sun sets, the moon always seems to be there, and so too this giant of a rock n' roll band. Almost impossible to imagine a world without them. For most of us, they've simply always been there .....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: July 13, 2019 11:32

I was only two! Wow, hard to imagine. I've been following them since I was 12. The first song I heard was JJF, courtesy of my cousin and his brother's album collection. I was hooked. Coolest cats I'd ever seen and the most awesome sound I'd ever heard at that time. I tossed my Grand Funk Railroad (kept Steppenwolf) and went balls to the wall with the Stones!!!

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: July 13, 2019 13:03

Happy Birthday!

Per Arne

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 13, 2019 18:21

Happy birthday, Rollin' Stones! I was 12 then, and the following year I was going to find out about this fantastic band.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 13, 2019 22:07

Hey YEAH 57th…. … its now 14 July im a
lil late to the party but gotta say..... 'appy Berfday guys

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: July 13, 2019 22:12

Let's rock!

Date: July 13, 2019 22:15

….okay drop over …..

ROCKMAN

Date: July 13, 2019 23:25

Rockman

As Keith said 1962 was "the conception" but the real birth of the Stones happened in 1963 after Bill and Charlie joined.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-14 12:49 by TornAndFried.

Date: July 13, 2019 23:40

Yeah … in most cases
the conception is more fun ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 14, 2019 12:31

TornAndFried
Rockman

Well, as Keith said 1962 was "the conception" but the real birth of the Stones happened in 1963 after Bill and Charlie joined.

Well, if Keith would be right (but as far as I am concerned he isn't) The Rolling Stones died in 1969 when Brian left and died.
People come and go, one way or the other, but the true spirit of The Rolling Stones came to life in July 1962 and is still "makes us crazy" after 57 years.
Long live The Rolling Stones.
smileys with beer

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 14, 2019 15:38

Hairball
July 12, 1962...they're one year and a few days older than I am...keep on rolling! thumbs up

And nearly 5 years older than me thumbs up

I think they’ll carry on to that magical 60 years milestone and, if all is well, beyond. Crazy but we love it! Remember the huge excitement of those 5 shows at the end of 2012 when we were amazed at getting them at all and thinking they were just a one off mini tour to celebrate 50 years and that would be it. Just look what we’ve had from them since!

Whatever they do from now on will require even more careful management. All 4 have now had health scares in the last 15 years with Mick last to join that club. Gaps between shows up to 5/6 days with 4 as an absolute minimum. It’s good for them to do 14-17 date tours once a year to keep them healthy and active into old age. And it’s a huge bonus for us, their fans thumbs up.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 14, 2019 17:27

georgie48
TornAndFried
Rockman

Well, as Keith said 1962 was "the conception" but the real birth of the Stones happened in 1963 after Bill and Charlie joined.

Well, if Keith would be right (but as far as I am concerned he isn't) The Rolling Stones died in 1969 when Brian left and died.
People come and go, one way or the other, but the true spirit of The Rolling Stones came to life in July 1962 and is still "makes us crazy" after 57 years.
smileys with beer

The true power of the Rolling Stones is really hard to define. Sure in the beginning it was Brian, but also Keith, Mick and Ian. Then Charlie and Bill.

Then Mick and Keith started to write their own songs, and that gave them more power. Mick took more control of the business, while Keith and Mick wrote powerful songs like Satisfaction, Paint It Black and so on.

I don't think Brian would have been able to do a world tour filling up stadiums of 60,000 fans with "Walking The Dog" and "Route 66". A powerful band need a leader, The Rolling Stones found one in Mick. A leader need someone to hold on to the roots, Keith is still there, so is Charlie, and they got Ronnie to fill in the gap after Brian and later on Mick T.

For ages, since the 60's, The Rolling Stones true power has been in the entire organization, not with any individuals. I see that on every tour, also between tours. The organization is seamless, like a well run company, they do free shows like Copa Cabana and Havana, they do great tours in South America even if the income would have been bigger in Las Vegas, and they take the band across the world again and again. They did the "Fruit of the Loom" tour 2002-2003, while they could have just played stadiums and make more money. If there is a hurricane coming they do quick but still right decitions and move the show, the warmup, the crew, the entire event, everything for 24 hours, just with the right timing, it sounds easy but it is not. This is an organization that is matching the greatest rock'n'roll band, they are the greatest together.

Congratulations on the July 12, 1962 conception, and may there be more years to come with this great rock band, live and recorded!

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-14 17:32 by bv.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 14, 2019 20:48

amazing achievement

hope they reach 60, then quit.

would love to see them again, if i dont it dosent really matter, will continue to enjoy all they have done for the rest of my life.

they have given so much to so many people.

and are an inspiration to eveyone, they have tought us that age is no barrier.

used to be said, that life begins at 40. and then 50 was the new 40, stones have tought us, that 70 is the new 40.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 15, 2019 18:55

bv
georgie48
TornAndFried
Rockman

smileys with beer

The true power of the Rolling Stones is really hard to define. Sure in the beginning it was Brian, but also Keith, Mick and Ian. Then Charlie and Bill.

Then Mick and Keith started to write their own songs, and that gave them more power. Mick took more control of the business, while Keith and Mick wrote powerful songs like Satisfaction, Paint It Black and so on.

I don't think Brian would have been able to do a world tour filling up stadiums of 60,000 fans with "Walking The Dog" and "Route 66". A powerful band need a leader, The Rolling Stones found one in Mick. A leader need someone to hold on to the roots, Keith is still there, so is Charlie, and they got Ronnie to fill in the gap after Brian and later on Mick T.

For ages, since the 60's, The Rolling Stones true power has been in the entire organization, not with any individuals. I see that on every tour, also between tours. The organization is seamless, like a well run company, they do free shows like Copa Cabana and Havana, they do great tours in South America even if the income would have been bigger in Las Vegas, and they take the band across the world again and again. They did the "Fruit of the Loom" tour 2002-2003, while they could have just played stadiums and make more money. If there is a hurricane coming they do quick but still right decitions and move the show, the warmup, the crew, the entire event, everything for 24 hours, just with the right timing, it sounds easy but it is not. This is an organization that is matching the greatest rock'n'roll band, they are the greatest together.

Congratulations on the July 12, 1962 conception, and may there be more years to come with this great rock band, live and recorded!

I fully dig what you're saying BV. I think the "power of the Rolling Stones" found its way/came to life (conception) during the Edith Grove period. Brian an Keith working out the "weaving" and all other things. Mick obviously added his part to it and later "the others" became "infected" as well. When listening to "Beautiful Delilah" you can hear and feel that power already. Many things happened in the decades that followed, but that unique power was and still is settled deep inside their bones (how about our bones?). After Ronnie joined, Keith started to talk more and more about that "ancient weaving" again. That's where the power is "hiding".
smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1400
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home