Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ronnie`s goofing
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 11, 2019 17:15

jlowe
MisterDDDD
HMS
Was Bill Wyman ever accused of "goofing around"?

Onstage?? No winking smiley

I don't think Keith is a goofer either.

Suprisingly, another Quiet One, George Harrison goofed around on stage when he was in the company of assorted Bonzos and Pythons.
But not when he was with Mr McCartney.
No, but he showed off a lot from '89 until 2012...the leg kicks, the posing, swinging his arms around, dropping into splits. It was showmanship, but more in a "look at what a bad MFer I am" as opposed to Ronnie being more playful and comedic.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 11, 2019 18:09

My first impression on Ronnie was the 1981 tour and why does a guitar player have a grimace on his face every time he plays a 2 note solo. I got spoiled I guess with Stevie Ray when he played Texas Flood live and his expressions were far more realistic of him playing the song from his soul and heart.

Date: July 11, 2019 19:09

One note might be enough, if it's good smiling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2019 19:33

When I think of Ronnie with the Stones, I first think of a clown, then someone eating a banana on stage. Lastly I think of his guitar playing, but alot of those thoughts have to do with the way he used to be so wasted/drunk that he screwed up most everything he touched without a care in the world. Only since he's become sober has his playing begun to gain credibility and earn some respect due to his focus, though he still likes to goof around a bit and his playing is still cringeworthy at times (like his paintings). That being said, keep up the good work Ronnie. thumbs up

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 11, 2019 20:13

nnie`s goofing
Posted by: DandelionPowderman ()
Date: July 11, 2019 19:09

One note might be enough, if it's good

Yes for me its just one diminished chord from Keith - especially on Worried About You when its played live.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 11, 2019 20:34

Ronnie likes to have fun and I believe it is kind of funny to watch him. Ron is goofy sometimes but he delivers the goods too.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 11, 2019 21:13

Green Lady
Kurt
I know nothing and am not speculating.
He's been fantastic at the two shows I've seen.
But, I will drop this here and run...

Urban Dictionary: Goofin
To act strange or out of character whilst under the influence of Marijuana, Alcohol, Drugs, etc.
Ah man he's Goofin'
That weed has him Goofin'
He came into school Goofin' the other day!

That's a definition I don't recognise (probably a US one). I think we need to ask noughties what they think "goofing" means and where they have seen someone saying Ronnie does it.

My own definition of "goofing" would be harmless clowning around - which Ronnie does a lot of and always has, but these days it doesn't seem to hurt his playing. noughties and one or two others here seem to think it's something much more worrying - but they don't say what. So we are all talking at cross purposes.

-Ah, no, why should I think it`s something more worrying? What has been said here have been completely in sync with what I had in mind.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 11, 2019 22:08

Ronnie "goofing around" always was, still is and hopefully will continue to be an essential part of the Rolling Stones live experience!

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: July 11, 2019 22:17

It's what Ronnie does, with or without the Stones. It's called having fun.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 11, 2019 22:19

HMS
Ronnie "goofing around" always was, still is and hopefully will continue to be an essential part of the Rolling Stones live experience!

I totally agree!
thumbs upcool smileythumbs up

After watching him "wear" absolutely everything and anything that fans threw onto the stage in 1981 and continuing to play...I was hooked.
smiling bouncing smiley
Long Live Ronnie Wood!

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: July 11, 2019 22:27

Ronnie's Angie solos in '76 are (mostly) epic! Also more recently, loved his guitar work on Don't Stop.

He is a crucial part of the sound of the live Stones to me. I have tried to work out some of the rhythm parts and textures he layers in the mix and they are often complex, and definitely not standard or textbook chords and phrasing. Inimitable!!!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 11, 2019 23:52

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 12, 2019 00:06

Great clip; haha;
my fave part is Keith's arm, right arm baby; that's where it is with a rhythm guy. currunnccch. lol, it seems he's looking stage Left as all that tumbling
is going on. I'm sick pup; watching Keith's right arm strike down in the
air a few dozen times instead of Mick flipping Ronnie. who seems to be popping
back up from a roll as soon as he hit the ground.
wtf was Mick thinking at the time?

The Flying Storenzo Brothers, (in the spirit of the old Ed Sullivan show where jugglers and acrobats were common fare, vaudeville style),
will be opening the rest of the NO Filter NA 2019 Summer Tour.
Good work boys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 00:10 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 12, 2019 00:26

Yeah crazy clip …..
Rollin with the punches … Ronnie coulda been a paratrooper

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 12, 2019 00:40

OpenG

Yes for me its just one diminished chord from Keith - especially on Worried About You when its played live.

Are you goofing?
There's a diminished chord on Worried About You ?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 12, 2019 00:54

FOR THE LESS TECHNICALLY INCLINED, PLEASE SOMEBODY POST THE PART FROM HAL ASHBY'S FILM WHERE RONNIE RUNS AROUND THE ROUND STAGE AND KEITH IS LOOKING FOR HIM......

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 12, 2019 05:22

According to Google Translate "goofing around" means "walking around". Just remember a lot of us on IORR don't really speak English on a daily basis, we speak Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Portugese, or some other language. Then we try our best to understand if words sound strange.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 12, 2019 05:25

shadooby
FOR THE LESS TECHNICALLY INCLINED, PLEASE SOMEBODY POST THE PART FROM HAL ASHBY'S FILM WHERE RONNIE RUNS AROUND THE ROUND STAGE AND KEITH IS LOOKING FOR HIM......

What song is that in, and why are you screaming?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 12, 2019 09:59

That bit is as funny as f***.

The other really funny Ronnie bit is the little clip with Mick pointing at his watch and berating the beer swilling Ronnie before they they go on.

Ronnie's sheepish look into the camera is priceless.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 12, 2019 14:03

If you play in a Rockandroll band and sometimes you have fun and do silly things on stage, you know what: it is OK.smiling smiley
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:03

bv
According to Google Translate "goofing around" means "walking around". Just remember a lot of us on IORR don't really speak English on a daily basis, we speak Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Portugese, or some other language. Then we try our best to understand if words sound strange.

yeah...and "goofing around" is very colloquial, which is where Google translate fails miserably.

"having fun" is probably the best translation I would come up with.

I think what people are referring to here is Ronny not focusing 100% on playing his guitar but rather having "fun, playful" interactions w/ the band and the crowd....

which I kind of like overall as long as it doesn't become "too much"...sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't...it is who Ronnie is when he is on stage....no worries here.

....at least nobody used the phrase "hamming around"....I can't imagine what Google Translate would do to that.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:27

I think 'goofing around' is a very North American thing, as I don't really know anyone who says that over here in U.K.
We say things like 'mucking about' or 'playing around' when someone is just having a bit of fun on stage as Ronnie does. thumbs up

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:30

crawdaddy
I think 'goofing around' is a very North American thing, as I don't really know anyone who says that over here in U.K.
We say things like 'mucking about' or 'playing around' when someone is just having a bit of fun on stage as Ronnie does. thumbs up
Same thing.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 12, 2019 15:48

"mucking about" , "larking around" , "acting the goat"

all good old English expressions of the same thing.

..and they are all old expressions.

I've been trying to think if any equivalents in a more modern or youthful idiom...but none come to mind ...

[certainly none that wouldn't get me banned ]

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 12, 2019 16:09

bv
According to Google Translate "goofing around" means "walking around". Just remember a lot of us on IORR don't really speak English on a daily basis, we speak Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Portugese, or some other language

Bjornulf - I have an American partner and she often tells me I am being 'goofy' and the saying "Goofing", is acting around foolishly but being charming and having fun without being serious or offensive. Hope that makes sense. From a Stones prospective Brian & Keith doing the Nanker funny faces would be classed as being 'Goofy'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-12 16:13 by Tonstone.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 12, 2019 21:00

bv

Well the moral of the story there should possibly be .... "don't use Google effin' Translate". Why ? Because it's s**t !

Anyway, I think your initial reaction to the first post of this thread was a bit on the strong side, but forgivable in the circumstances - because you were obviously completely unfamiliar with the word. It does indeed have several meanings, but 'context' is everything - and the particular context established in that first post I think we have by now clearly established. Namely: Ronnie does what Ronnie needs to do as a Stones guitarist, but he also has a lot of fun and games onstage doing it ....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: July 12, 2019 21:01

paulywaul
bv

Well the moral of the story there should possibly be .... "don't use Google effin' Translate". Why ? Because it's s**t !

Anyway, I think your initial reaction to the first post of this thread was a bit on the strong side, but forgivable in the circumstances - because you were obviously completely unfamiliar with the word. It does indeed have several meanings, but 'context' is everything - and the particular context intended in that first post I think we have by now clearly established. Namely: Ronnie does what Ronnie needs to do as a Stones guitarist, but he also has a lot of fun and games onstage doing it ....

Date: July 12, 2019 21:02

Whoops .... double post

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 12, 2019 21:15

Remember I am in charge of people from 200 or so countries reading posts on IORR. Two million every year, thousans every day. Many English spoken, but may be 50% read IORR throug google translate or Chrome translate.

There are all cultures here. While an English spoken person of western origin think a statement is fine, others may wonder what's going on. That is why I need to understand what's going on.

By now I understand this is a harmless thread. Still, you would not know how many offending words I have been warned about, sexist, hidden racist and so on. As I don't know the full meaning of every word, I have to make sure, especially when it is being used in a headline i.e. a thread subject. Better be on the safe side than sorry.

Keeps me busy. I am really more concerned about Barry now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 13, 2019 01:03

bv, of course. Everyone here appreciates your efforts on this site. That's why we come here every day!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home