Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ronnie`s goofing
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 11, 2019 01:50

ronnie`s goofing

Is it true? I think I`ve heard about it. The current picture at this site`s home page possibly shows this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 04:08 by bv.

Re: ronnie`s goofing
Posted by: snorton ()
Date: July 11, 2019 02:08

He does seem to be quite animated these days, if it is the result of showing appreciation for being in the greatest R & R band and good livin, more power to him.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 11, 2019 03:02

Ronnie is noot goofing around at all. Fake news. Where did you get that info from? Did you see any of the shows on this tour?

He is playing great music all along, sharp, no goofing, whatever goofing means.

PS. According to Webster:
goof noun

\ ?güf \
Definition of goof
1 : a silly or stupid person
2 : BLUNDER

Ronnie is not silly, stupid or making blunders.

PS. It should be possible to lift your right arm for a split second without being accused of being stupid, silly or making blunders.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 03:05 by bv.

Date: July 11, 2019 03:06

snorton
He does seem to be quite animated these days, if it is the result of showing appreciation for being in the greatest R & R band and good livin, more power to him.

Que?

Bjornulf

Re: Ronnie`s goofing
Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 11, 2019 03:14

I think one reason Ronnie is a bit more animated these days is to compensate for Keith not moving around as much anymore. There has to be some movement on stage from someone else than Mick. If we compare how Ronnie acts on stage nowadays to 20 years ago, then it's true he's more animated now. But I don't think it's a bad thing since it doesn't detract from his playing and he's still focused on his playing and sounds great.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 04:09 by bv.

Date: July 11, 2019 03:21

Nobody ever said Mick was "goofing around" ...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 04:09 by bv.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 11, 2019 05:06

Relax bv, I'm sure the remark was made in a friendly fashion

Goofing around

behave in a silly way or playful way, mess around/about, fool around, clown, act up, play the fool
"they started goofing around in front of the cameras"

I think some people on this forum act way too offended at nothing really, lately. And some of us sometimes post when they have had a skinful, not a wise thing to do if you ask me.
Of course this last bit has nothing to do with bv smiling smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 11, 2019 06:12

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: July 11, 2019 06:19

I totally agree with yeahbaby, and go easy on BV, he's in the Big Easy, different rules down there.....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 11, 2019 08:23

Im with Some Guy, here.

I actually think Ronnie goofs around, plenty; often with Mick. It’s part of his character; and it’s endering. If there were no play, it’d be like attending a Roger Waters concert.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 11, 2019 09:07

i really dug him goofing around on bass all over those two Jeff Beck albums too.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 11, 2019 09:41

Here's Ronnie in a previous existence;
[youtu.be]

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: July 11, 2019 09:57

That's the thing about Ronnie despite his age he still has that boyish aura.thumbs up

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 11, 2019 10:03

ROLLINGSTONE
That's the thing about Ronnie despite his age he still has that boyish aura.thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 11, 2019 10:53

Yep...

He's always had that "cheeky chappie" persona .

Date: July 11, 2019 11:11

bv
Nobody ever said Mick was "goofing around" ...

Oh I don't know BV.

If you accused Mick of "goofing around" for a living..

...He'd probably laugh and happily admit it .

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 11, 2019 11:24

bv
Ronnie is noot goofing around at all. Fake news. Where did you get that info from? Did you see any of the shows on this tour?

He is playing great music all along, sharp, no goofing, whatever goofing means.

PS. According to Webster:
goof noun

\ ?güf \
Definition of goof
1 : a silly or stupid person
2 : BLUNDER

Ronnie is not silly, stupid or making blunders.

PS. It should be possible to lift your right arm for a split second without being accused of being stupid, silly or making blunders.

Completely lost in translation Bjornulf. The word 'goofing' in the context of Ronnie's stage persona and behaviour has absolutely no negative connotations at all ... none !

The mere fact that you have quoted a dictionary definition of the word strongly implies that you do not have this particular word in your personal English vocabulary, and that accounts for your total misinterpretation in this instance.

Ronnie has been 'goofing around' on stage pretty much ever since he picked up a guitar, right through his entire working life to date. He is famous for it, and loved for it. Some of his characteristic leaps and bounds and postures epitomise goofiness itself ... it's the total mark of the man.

I saw the WHO in London last Saturday. Pete Townshend in his own words ... "50 plus years poncing about on stage with a guitar" ! Replace the word ponce with the word goof, and ..... voila ! You get the idea I hope .....

The point is: no negative connotations. Get it ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: July 11, 2019 11:26

Koen

Says it all really !! grinning smiley

Date: July 11, 2019 11:29

Big Al
Im with Some Guy, here.

I actually think Ronnie goofs around, plenty; often with Mick. It’s part of his character; and it’s endearing. If there were no play, it’d be like attending a Roger Waters concert.

Valium HQ !! Zzzzz Zzzzz Zzzzzz grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Date: July 11, 2019 11:29

Well picked up Pauly ...

Just an example of humour or particular turns of phrase not always crossing language barriers terribly well.

Date: July 11, 2019 11:31

Spud
Well picked up Pauly ...

Just an example of humour or particular turns of phrase not always crossing language barriers terribly well.

Thank you kind Sir ....

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 11, 2019 12:57

So far really enjoyable grinning smiley
You people from "the new world" really made a "mess" out of the (Queen's) English language (friendly meaning). I remember teaching English to Japanese people many decades ago (NO Internet!). One day one of them took along a copy of Time Magazine and asked me if I could discuss its content. Man, that was embarrasing ... all those "weird" words I couldn't find in my "professional" English Dictionary. Luckily I was blessed with good imagination, which helped me out most of the time.
BV ... 12 more shows to go ... enjoy Ronnie's goofing winking smiley ... and the Rolling Stones off course thumbs up
smileys with beer

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 11, 2019 13:16

In everyday conversational English in the USA, goofing means 'playful.'

Here, Mick is goofing around with Ron in 1981.

Goofing around at work could mean having fun at work or not doing your job which are not the same thing.

Date: July 11, 2019 15:04

exilestones
In everyday conversational English in the USA, goofing means 'playful.'

Here, Mick is goofing around with Ron in 1981.

Goofing around at work could mean having fun at work or not doing your job which are not the same thing.

To bring the thread full circle ...they have been exactly the same thing on a couple of tours in the not too distant past ...

When a bit less mucking about [or goofing around] and a bit more guitar playing would have been a good idea for two naughty boys on stage.grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 11, 2019 15:40

There's a big difference between mugging for the crowd in the context of putting on a show while ALSO playing the guitar, and being completely out of it and goofing off while not doing your primary job correctly.

Ronnie has been guilty of both throughout the years. Lately he's been playing great while also putting on a show for the fans with his antics.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 11, 2019 15:53

Was Bill Wyman ever accused of "goofing around"?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 11, 2019 15:56

HMS

Onstage?? No winking smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: July 11, 2019 15:57

Long live Ronnie Wood!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-11 22:05 by Kurt.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 11, 2019 16:49

Kurt
I know nothing and am not speculating.
He's been fantastic at the two shows I've seen.
But, I will drop this here and run...

Urban Dictionary: Goofin
To act strange or out of character whilst under the influence of Marijuana, Alcohol, Drugs, etc.
Ah man he's Goofin'
That weed has him Goofin'
He came into school Goofin' the other day!

That's a definition I don't recognise (probably a US one). I think we need to ask noughties what they think "goofing" means and where they have seen someone saying Ronnie does it.

My own definition of "goofing" would be harmless clowning around - which Ronnie does a lot of and always has, but these days it doesn't seem to hurt his playing. noughties and one or two others here seem to think it's something much more worrying - but they don't say what. So we are all talking at cross purposes.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 11, 2019 16:57

MisterDDDD
HMS

Onstage?? No winking smiley

I don't think Keith is a goofer either.

Suprisingly, another Quiet One, George Harrison goofed around on stage when he was in the company of assorted Bonzos and Pythons.
But not when he was with Mr McCartney.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home