Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: I love the Stones
Date: July 9, 2019 07:37

Love their two first albums. Their latest isn't up there with the others, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 11:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: I love the Stones....but
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 9, 2019 09:35

DandelionPowderman

I think their second was their best, but I love this one too. They're doing some great versions of songs from the first two albums on this current tour.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 9, 2019 10:16

I really love this latest album. It might well be their best yet, IMO.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 9, 2019 19:26

Rockman
I love the Stones …… butts ……

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has
described Mick Jagger's backside as "one of the finest views in the country."

That's when he was in a good mood.
The rest of the time he was just sat "...lookin' at four scrawny little arses"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 10, 2019 01:54

Hairball
'Greatest Hits Band' of all time.

Nice, I like it! smiling smiley

And since they only play about 20 of them (out of many more), that's really testament to their overall greatness and vast catalogue.
I think "Best band ever" is still appropriate considering the longevity, the massive catalogue, and the fact they're still touring after all these years.

And 24FPS - I do recommend you see them just one more time on this current tour as they really are better than they've been for quite some time - Chicago #2 was excellent!
As I've been known to point out their misgivings when it's deserved (crappy records, poor performances, etc.), I can honestly say they are pretty darn great in a live setting right now.
I was convinced that one or two shows would be more than enough, and then committing to see four of them would be a test of my patience, but now I'm thinking of seeing more than the four I originally had planned!
Sure it's filled with warhorses, and yes they're basically a "Greatest Hits band" lol, but it's 2019, they're 75+ yrs old, and they're rocking the house!
Don't believe me? Then go see for yourself - almost guaranteed you will be at least somewhat impressed, and no doubt will have a fun time!

EDIT - As for the Raconteurs?
Not much to say other than they have a couple of decent tunes, but wouldn't go too far out of my way to see them, or put them anywhere near the same category as the Rolling Stones and other classic rock bands.

They do sound a little sharper than they have in recent years. Hey, it only took people spending hundreds of millions since 2012 for Keith to finally shake some rust off. Of course no one will probably ever approach the Stones. First off, rock is a minor form of entertainment now. No band will last that long, and if they do no one will care. No band will pass through the different genres the Stones were successful in, from Blues, Pop, Psychedelia through Disco and Reggae. No one is claiming the Raconteurs will ever be in that category. But for what they're doing, right now, it's refreshing to hear real, wild rock and roll for a change.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 11, 2019 19:40

You cant say anything about any other band but the Stones here...don't bother. At least Jack and Co. are topping the charts with a Rock'n'Roll album...whens the the last time the Stones did that! or anybody...its either Rap or country....god love the Rack'o's!

@#$%& off,

JR

Date: July 11, 2019 19:58

No Stones show is worth getting caught in a flooding city and losing a car at a minimum.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 13, 2019 10:30

I love the Stones but....they need to put out some new music..i.e. a new
2 LP set of ALL new tunes. Go deep into the well, please. Put
Standing in the Heart of Love and Honest Man on it. Toss in Under The Radar.

Re: I love the Stones
Date: July 13, 2019 11:13

Aquamarine
DandelionPowderman

I think their second was their best, but I love this one too. They're doing some great versions of songs from the first two albums on this current tour.

This one is indeed improving on each spin. Loved the use of horns and brass on their second album.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 13, 2019 15:52

what's even better than this 3rd album, is the live rendering of this record. Powerful, and resonating.

and...is this a safe enough space to just say it....Jack White is the new modern riff master.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-13 16:30 by Rip This.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 13, 2019 18:05

Jack White is da man !

Date: July 15, 2019 11:28

Just home to Louisiana (avoiding the hurricane) from the Raconteurs' 2 US tour-opening shows in Detroit, and I have to report that this is a totally fun and musically exciting experience. They all work so well together, the camaraderie is palpable, and they just push each other to greater musical heights. Fabulous live band IMO.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 18, 2019 19:19

The Stones are just jealous...the Racks can play ALL of the Stones songs...but no way the Stones could play a single Rack song...hehehehehe

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: July 19, 2019 02:54

I'm not a Jack White fan, and the lead singer isn't very good. They aren't very good songwriters, either. The lyrics aren't strong and the music doesn't stand out. The Stones can do greatest hits because they wrote songs that people remember. I'm not sure the Raconteurs will ever write anything that memorable.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 19, 2019 11:53

its plain and simple ….
They'll never make ya heart sway … theyre a rock band ….

ROCKMAN

Date: July 19, 2019 12:48

marianna
I'm not a Jack White fan, and the lead singer isn't very good. They aren't very good songwriters, either. The lyrics aren't strong and the music doesn't stand out. The Stones can do greatest hits because they wrote songs that people remember. I'm not sure the Raconteurs will ever write anything that memorable.

I mean really?...who cares what you think about Jack White..and you should ask a Jack White fan if he remembers or listens to the lyrics, or music..... your view is myopic....the point of the thread is to discuss energy, passion, newness, rawness...innovation...unpredictability....right......

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 19, 2019 13:43

stone-relics
The Stones are just jealous...the Racks can play ALL of the Stones songs...but no way the Stones could play a single Rack song...hehehehehe
Anybody with a guitar or bass or keyboards , trumpet , sax , drums can play Stones songs . Ask yourself this can anyone replicate Keith's phrasing and technique on the fretboard ? Can anyone sing and sound like Mick Jagger ? Of course the answer is no and that's the magic of the Rolling Stones . Right into today 2019 tour at there advanced age of mid 70's the Stones are plying there trade like no one else can as others have there bibs on in nursing homes and the Glimmer Twins are kicking butt and arms and shoulders and all other body parts and are not taking names as they are only taking smiles and applause and cheers . There music is simple note for note but try to get the fill on Honky Tonk to sound like the human riffmaster Keef does and then get back to me . Ditto for Mick Jaggers vocals !

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 19, 2019 14:09

TheGreek
stone-relics
Anybody with a guitar or bass or keyboards , trumpet , sax , drums can play Stones songs . Ask yourself this can anyone replicate Keith's phrasing and technique on the fretboard ? Can anyone sing and sound like Mick Jagger ? Of course the answer is no and that's the magic of the Rolling Stones . Right into today 2019 tour at there advanced age of mid 70's the Stones are plying there trade like no one else can as others have there bibs on in nursing homes and the Glimmer Twins are kicking butt and arms and shoulders and all other body parts and are not taking names as they are only taking smiles and applause and cheers . There music is simple note for note but try to get the fill on Honky Tonk to sound like the human riffmaster Keef does and then get back to me . Ditto for Mick Jaggers vocals !

"Anybody" can cover a song....

A step up is covering songs and putting an original twist on them - which can be pretty cool (and is fine w/ me)...

but, it takes true talent to write original music...let alone original music that millions of people relate-to, understand and enjoy....for decades.

A great example of who the Stones are to me:

Go listen to "Bitch"....an absolutely amazing song....most bands would slit their grandmother's throat to write ONE song like "Bitch"....the Stones have so many songs, they put it on the B-Side of the album.

Another thought:

If The Racks cover the Stones - the crowd goes crazy.

If Stones cover the Racks - crowd says "WTF is this?" Subsequently, the IORR board goes crazy w/ how great/horrible it was and how it was the best/worst decision ever by the Stones and how they need to stop/keep doing this....massive e-arguments ensue and eventually somebody says something that forces BV to remind us to keep it civil....IORR-ians go back to complaining about (or defending) the set-lists or Chuck instead.

Go Stones!

Jack White/Racks are fine w/ me and they have some good tunes....no problems here.

On another note: I suggest Lisa Fischer & Grand Baton if you are looking for an original take on "cover" songs w/ some amazing and original arrangements....she's worth the cost of admission any night of the week.

Sticky.

Date: July 19, 2019 15:44

stone-relics

Looking forward to their take on Moonlight Mile when they're 70 winking smiley

Re: OT: The Raconteurs Album Release Party 2019
Date: July 24, 2019 01:42

So, it seems Mick and Ronnie are big fans (go to 6.30)

Interview with Jack White and Brendan Benson

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 24, 2019 01:50

Aquamarine
So, it seems Mick and Ronnie are big fans (go to 6.30)

Interview with Jack White and Brendan Benson

thumbs up
Jack: "In the end we found out it was Paul McCartney and Ringo Star the whole time.. the lighting was bad. Imagine our disappointment.." spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Thanks for posting.. very cool.
Nice to hear Ronnie and Mick hang out and catch a show still occasionally smileys with beer

Date: July 24, 2019 03:47

Not surprised Jagger and RW took in the show in London.... dynamite on stage... rock n roll

Date: July 25, 2019 15:32

interesting interview....Jack wont confirm if he's written with Dylan....I wonder if he's written with Keith Richards?

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: July 26, 2019 00:17

Rip This
interesting interview....Jack wont confirm if he's written with Dylan....I wonder if he's written with Keith Richards?

[www.rollingstone.com]

They did something together about ten years ago, when Jack first built his recording studio, but it has yet to see the light of day. sad smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 26, 2019 07:19

Rip This

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.rollingstone.com]

[www.nme.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-26 07:21 by KRiffhard.

Date: July 26, 2019 14:21

id love to hear it....probably an amazing grizzled country vibe....

loved the Kimmel performance btw...[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 26, 2019 15:13

Even if one does not like Jack, it is undeniable that White loves music as much as Mick & Keith. They have been on a similar musical trip which was initiated by their admiration of the early bluesman then motivated by an ability to write songs in their own multifaceted style and take these songs to the top. I see them as fantastic musicians, still very active and dedicated to playing rock and roll.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: July 27, 2019 05:02

rollmops
Even if one does not like Jack, it is undeniable that White loves music as much as Mick & Keith. They have been on a similar musical trip which was initiated by their admiration of the early bluesman then motivated by an ability to write songs in their own multifaceted style and take these songs to the top. I see them as fantastic musicians, still very active and dedicated to playing rock and roll.
Rockandroll,
Mops

thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 30, 2020 08:51

This is very interesting.

“The Raconteurs: Live at Electric Lady” Spotify exclusive EP and documentary film out now

The Raconteurs: Live at Electric Lady EP and enhanced album with special behind-the-scenes clips, storylines and more is out now exclusively on Spotify. In celebration of Electric Lady’s 50th anniversary, listen to the EP featuring a cover of The Voidoids “Blank Generation” here. To view the documentary and concert film click here

[electricladystudios.com]

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: May 30, 2020 19:15

Thank you Cristiano! Great little film about the Raconteurs, the Jimi Hendrix's studio and the music. Everybody who profess their love for Rock and Roll deserve a hats off; thank you Jim and the Raconteurs.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home