Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 14 of 18
Re: Foxboro/Boston show 7-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 9, 2019 00:50

Gillette Stadium: "What. A. Night."

[Twitter.com] · Large version

Re: Foxboro/Boston show 7-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 9, 2019 00:58

It’s really impossible to tell if he just randomly played that or if he legitimately lost it for a second.
It was at best an odd choice and at worst a big problem.
Seemed to be a good show though, they got rave reviews from the media and the fans who were actually there.
It seemed like there were a lot of empty seats,more than any on the tour so far and that surprised me,Boston’s a big Stones town.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 9, 2019 01:11

keefriff99
keithsman
Yes obviously something like that, Mick also.
Yes Keith was fueled on a sandwich of drink an coke, that's Rock and Roll, he invented it , he honed it down to perfection and since the bang on the head he had to choose life, so Keith got the best of both worlds and at 76 we can't convincingly say he's paying the price can we, he's still doing his gig in an honest way compared to a couple others on stage, as i say role reversal.
But you keep lamenting Keith's current state...wouldn't it be safe to say that some of his decline is related to his lifestyle?

He could still have gone down as one of the great rock'n'roll hellraisers and cleaned up his act in the '80s or '90s, but he pushed it to the limit instead.

I'll take current Keith over how he was back in, say, 2007. He's definitely slid into a new phase of his onstage career, but he's handling it well for the most part.

Yes of course i agree that Keith would be fitter had he stopped drinking and stayed off even a few years ago. I also agree that 07' was his lowest point onstage during that tour.
The fact that he still drinks on and off and still smokes the strong Marlboro's is a testament to his constitution.
Sorry i went a bit over the top this morning, of course it's still a great show for the fans, we are blessed really, as i say i just find it a bit difficult accepting Keith's limitations, it's been that way since 07'

If you compare him to the average 76 year old he is very nimble and mobile, compare him to Mick ( and i am curious and do question how Mick has this degree of fitness at his age regardless of his work outs and healthy lifestyle ) Keith appears like a man several decades older. It is what it is and i doubt Mick or Ronnie are going to share their secrets to the fountain of youth so we leave it there, we can only speculate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 01:20 by keithsman.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 9, 2019 01:29

I was in the Gen Adm part of the back of the field last night and had a total blast. For those with those tix for upcoming shows, as you see in the pic, at least at Gillette, a bit further back, there was plenty of room. Everyone was dancing like crazy. Awesome show - even better than Chicago 2 which I attended - for that I had Lucky Dip and wound up in The 400s, so that might be part of it.
I totally enjoyed having room to just rock out at the back of the field last night. Sound was great - nice and loud.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 01:49 by DEmerson.

Posted by: bluediamond ()
Date: July 9, 2019 01:58

Anyone remember how much the seats in level 100 were?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 9, 2019 02:17

Mick should have said "Okay, it's TWO f^*k ups now!" They are clearly having fun so who knows? Love Keith.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: July 9, 2019 02:24

keithsman
maumau
passive aggressive posting (i.e. deleted post with sneaky hint) is not really nice

"There is an elephant in the room, can't believe me of all people have to bring it up first, watching these clips all morning something is up with Keith.
Not just his timing is it, something more serious that that i feel, it's been going on for a while but it's worse.
He's doing great on most of his solo's but he is having huge gaps in concentration, coming in at the wrong time, it's worrying to say the least and no one has noticed it but me ?? oh come on."

funny post. when i mentioned keith after the second chicago show you defended him. nothing personal in pointing this out, i love keith and completely buy into the B.S. myth surrounding him. in 2015 he was spot on. and South America 2016 was better. but his head bump was serious. (don't know if this is true) but it was said he needed to take anti-seizure medication for the rest of his life. the fact is, he needs to exercise and play electric guitar basically every day. it appears he's not doing this and time is catching up with him. from (?) coventry on last year he was great and back to the old keith. he's like a forty year old Playmate, he's gonna have to work hard now to keep what he's got. quite frankly, he's looking better in boston. midnight rambler the second night in chicago was the only time keith was at full volume. it was a smokin' rambler, too. raise a glass to better days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 02:44 by sundevil.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 9, 2019 02:37

I think the midnight rambler thing Keith did was a joke,he had a laugh about it after he did it.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: July 9, 2019 02:48

For what it’s worth, having watched it, I too think Keith did it on purpose, I don’t think it was a joke or a mess up, I think he was just enjoying the spirit of the middle section of Rambler and joining in the improvisation. I thought it worked quite well!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 9, 2019 02:52

Irix
Gillette Stadium: "What. A. Night."

[Twitter.com] · Large version

Most of these people in this photo probably have no idea what a real Stones show was like prior to 1989. The crowd alone was a show. General Admission, no floor chairs, no cell phones, great opening acts, lots of partying and chaos, no daddies and kids, and great music and show.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 9, 2019 02:53

I think it was a Mick/Chuck Berry moment where Keith said enough is enough with whatever BS he perceived was going down

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: July 9, 2019 03:03

mandu
I think the midnight rambler thing Keith did was a joke,he had a laugh about it after he did it.

eye rolling smiley

GJB
For what it’s worth, having watched it, I too think Keith did it on purpose, I don’t think it was a joke or a mess up, I think he was just enjoying the spirit of the middle section of Rambler and joining in the improvisation. I thought it worked quite well!

eye rolling smiley

Maindefender
I think it was a Mick/Chuck Berry moment where Keith said enough is enough with whatever BS he perceived was going down

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 9, 2019 03:32

maumau
here is the "raucous" HTW

video: [www.youtube.com]

The Honky Tonk Woman from Gimme Shelter still gives me thrills. It's just beyond amazing! lol

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 9, 2019 03:36

I don't think the MR mistake was a coincident. In Chicago (I think it was) he started the wrong song (in wrong key) before Sir Michael stopped it. And he hits a wrong note here and there in the set.
Maybe not a novelty. But with age these things tends to be more worrying than funny.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 9, 2019 03:46

MileHigh
maumau
here is the "raucous" HTW

video: [www.youtube.com]

The Honky Tonk Woman from Gimme Shelter still gives me thrills. It's just beyond amazing! lol

Honky Tonk Women - IMO one of their most overplayed warhorses live, WAS a highlight last night. Crowd where I was were totally into it. Took the show, already excellent, to another level.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 9, 2019 03:47

GJB

Keith’s humor

Date: July 9, 2019 03:59

keithsman
keefriff99
keithsman
MacLaurens
Except for MR, what other songs did Keith "screw up"?

Not so much screw up as go through the motions, i expect too much from him that's my problem.
When people say getting better than ever and things like that, i just wonder have they ever seen what that man could do 20 years ago.
Well, anyone who says "better than ever" is clearly not being objective, but post-2012, I'd say he's doing pretty damn good.

But people forget he was ever like this that think he was on top form last night, it's the difference in between night and day in his performance , about 4.42 onward he just shows what Rock n Roll is all about, energy and attitude. Charlies amazing too, the whole thing just lifts you.
[www.youtube.com]

Keith is on fire there! It is shocking.

Date: July 9, 2019 03:59

I think some of you are deluding yourselves. Five gigs so far. Keith has made big mistakes in two of them. And he still hits a couple of bum notes at every gig.
That would perhaps have been funny twenty years ago but, I think, more worrying now. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the MR mistake was the last he made this tour.
Let's wait and see...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 9, 2019 04:07

Meh.
A couple slip ups by Keith, and a couple by Mick, and people go off the deep end in speculation about age, drugs, booze etc.
Nonsense as far as I'm concerned. Keith is looking and playing great.. even more so than the last leg.
It's clear he is relatively clean and soberly focusing on the task at hand and doing that very well, thanks.

Wouldn't be a Stones concert if they didn't mess up imo, A couple a show is part of the deal. I love the screw-ups, primarily because of the jovial and professional way they handle them.

More so than in a long time the band has the feel of a real close band imo.
The camaraderie, support and jovial attitudes are more obvious today than in recent years. After Mick's health scare, even more than the last leg I believe.
We get to witness that more when there is a mix up which is fantastic!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: July 9, 2019 04:24

Some "random" fans enjoying the show! smiling smiley

Date: July 9, 2019 04:25

A short note: MR was 11:30 minutes long in Boston. Maybe that's the reason Keith was trying to finish it off faster? Miss You was 9 minutes by the way. 20 songs in 130 minutes.

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: July 9, 2019 04:40

Nikkei
[www.youtube.com]
watching MR right now.When Keith hits that opening riff during the middle, he clearly does so deliberately. He's plainly goofing off. In a way that seems connected to what happened in Chicaco. But even more, I believe it's in response to the very poor audience interaction. At 6:05 Micks body language suggests very much that he feels let down by the reaction. What Keith does shows irreverence like "well if they don't get into it, we might as well..." It's meant to fly over the heads of those people. Usually the audience is in the palm of Micks hand at that point of the show. They're in fact very tight with each other here, that thing is being approved of. A tiny bit cynical maybe, but it's what it is

Seriously? LOL the tempo was way too fast from the start... nothing at all to do with the crowd. But if you can tell he did so deliberately from video your a better man than I. I was up front Pit 2 and couldn't tell that. But Ok...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 04:50 by chevysales.

Date: July 9, 2019 04:47

My take on Ramblergate.

Why doesn't Mick lay off on the audience participation shtick in MR? After all, this is not Argentina. The audience was bored and barely doing the echo back business. Mick returned to the main stage in defeat. It just didn't work. It definitely wasn't clicking and was uncomfortable.

So when they were all together after Mick's walk back, everybody was in a weird and uncomfortable state. So for the hell of it Keith decided to fire off the riff in a burst. It was to shake things up, it was kind of like him sneering at the audience. And for a few seconds it seemed like Keith was channeling the 1998 Keith!

MR should not be like a YCAGWYW sing-along. I don't even care for it in YCAGWYW. Play the song hard and dangerous, give us those rock blues licks and deliver on the danger. The last thing that song needs is a bloody Romper Room sing-along. Are you getting this Mick?

Beyond that, let this be the last tour. 2012-2019, the Phase V Stones, or whatever the number. Thank you, we finally ARE satisfied.

Date: July 9, 2019 05:14

I wonder if Sir Michael invests any feeling whatsoever in these massive stadium gigs still? Or is it just business as usual? After all he's the guy who said he couldn't imagine seeing himself singing Satisfaction when he was 40. Personally I'm bored with the staples since anno dazumal. Why shouldn't Commander feel the same?

Of course there is a big kick in performing in front of 50,000 people. No one can deny that. Maybe that is what keeps them coming back? The music? Well, it's the same 50 year old songs over and over again. In some cases for more than 1,000 times. Performed in exactly the same manner.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 9, 2019 05:32

I don't know Stoneage, but after his health scare perhaps he approaches these shows a bit differently...with a newfound zeal and lust for life!
That's the way it seems to me anyways, and if I had experienced something of a similar nature that he did, I wouldn't take anything for granted or be bored with the work that I love.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 9, 2019 06:33

MileHigh
My take on Ramblergate.

Why doesn't Mick lay off on the audience participation shtick in MR? After all, this is not Argentina. The audience was bored and barely doing the echo back business. Mick returned to the main stage in defeat. It just didn't work. It definitely wasn't clicking and was uncomfortable.

So when they were all together after Mick's walk back, everybody was in a weird and uncomfortable state. So for the hell of it Keith decided to fire off the riff in a burst. It was to shake things up, it was kind of like him sneering at the audience. And for a few seconds it seemed like Keith was channeling the 1998 Keith!

MR should not be like a YCAGWYW sing-along. I don't even care for it in YCAGWYW. Play the song hard and dangerous, give us those rock blues licks and deliver on the danger. The last thing that song needs is a bloody Romper Room sing-along. Are you getting this Mick?

Beyond that, let this be the last tour. 2012-2019, the Phase V Stones, or whatever the number. Thank you, we finally ARE satisfied.
The crowd was not great last night, that's for sure.

I've been in some fantastic crowds in the Northeast over the years, but last night's was relatively quiet and restrained. There were some good singalong moments and the GA area appeared to be active, but the mezzanine and upper deck sections were pretty subdued.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: July 9, 2019 08:43

Hairball
A friend of mine who was there (and had been to two previous this tour) told me Ronnie had a bad night without mentioning any specifics...
Other than the sometimes spastic and discombobulated solo's of his at every show, anyone notice anything peculiar with Ronnie last night?

No. I thought Ronnie carried most of the night while Keith, as some others have said, walked through a majority of it, especially the first half.

The opener SFM was great and I thought we’d be in for an energized night BUT ..

They followed it with a rambling, fumbling, too-slow IORR and my hopes were dashed. This song is an absolute momentum killer at this point in the set. If they insist on trotting this one out they should do it later when they are warmed up.

Tumbling Dice started slow, but as usual they found their groove and the second half of the song really took off.

She’s So Cold, while a nice option, was more like a slowed-down, toned-down Respectable. Did Mick actually say this was a “punk” version? Again, slowed tempo and Keith not really finding anything.

Ride ‘Em Down was solid, it was nice that they let each guitarist take a solo. Ronnie and Gary did well, Keith’s was a little slow to warm and then never took off in his solo. And he remained a background player through most of the song.

Play With Fire was a delightful choice over Angie for sure.

Dead Flowers is a little tired for me these days, and I’ve always preferred this with an electric lead guitar line available.

Sympathy, YCAGWYW, and Honky Tonk were standard. Solid performances. No great shakes, but nothing elevating, except maybe Ronnie’s playing here and there.

I had hopes that Keith would return to Silver or maybe pull out All About You or do something to change up his slow first song. Instead he stayed with Slipping Away which really does nothing except represent Steels Wheels (for whatever reason is beyond me).

I’m glad Keith is sticking with BTMMR over Happy - though I did notice more folks remained in their “not paying attention because we do not know this” headspace, whereas Happy would probably pull more people back in. Decent performance, I think I remember a screw up or two.

Miss You, another “must play,” was less of a burden than it has been in the past.
Daryl’s solo was good but does drag on maybe a tad too long (and that’s actually a positive comment because pretty much any bass solo is indulgent and unnecessary in rock)

Paint It Black - standard performance. Another song I don’t feel is necessary, or even that good live. Always comes off as gimmicky to me. Ronnie’s playing just seems focused on the effect he’s using and Keith just sticks with his main riff. Nice bit for the lighting guys though.

Midnight Rambler was another highlight. I found Keith’s gaff odd. But their little foray into Hellhound On My Trail (yes?) was outstanding.

Start Me Up (I always love Ronnie’s crazy, edgy, over the top solo in this)
Jumpin’ Jack Flash
Brown Sugar - these warhorses sounded great, but highlighted perhaps my greatest pet peeve: while Keith is certainly playing slower and sparser these days, I find this recent choice of turning him down during the body of verses and then increasing his volume when he does a fill or flourish to be insanely irritating. It literally sounds like they have put a gate on his guitar so that his volume only increases when he plays harder. But this is clearly a thought out plan as it doesn’t really happen on the show opener and closers, but is maintained throughout most of the body of the show.

Gimme Shelter was solid and well played, as was Satisfaction, and they of course kept Keith turned up.

All in all this show was certainly not the best I’ve seen them play, not even the best stadium show, or best stadium show in Foxboro, but certainly not the worst.

Somewhere above a walk through and below a night where they brought something extra.

J

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 9, 2019 09:31

keithsman

but his head bump was serious. (don't know if this is true) but it was said he needed to take anti-seizure medication for the rest of his life.

Wtf? I have to take anti-seizure meds for the rest of my life, too, starting in 2003, as a result of which I've never had a seizure. This is positive, not negative, info about Keith's health.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 9, 2019 10:03

Stoneage
I think some of you are deluding yourselves. Five gigs so far. Keith has made big mistakes in two of them. And he still hits a couple of bum notes at every gig.
That would perhaps have been funny twenty years ago but, I think, more worrying now. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the MR mistake was the last he made this tour.
Let's wait and see...

I only saw the video and clearly MR is not a mistake, Keith is doing it on purpose. I don't know why exactly, but it's kind of funny.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: July 9, 2019 10:59

mandu

So do I. Quite funny that people make so much fuzz about it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 14 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1530
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home