Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 13 of 18
Re: Foxboro/Boston show 7-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 20:49

stickyfingers101
Was it just me or did he butcher the first few bars/lines of "Before they Make Me Run" pretty badly?

I don't think the MR "re-start" was Keith just joking around....I think he forgot where he was in the song completely.

These are just my observations, they are not complaints...Keith is who he is and I love him for that.

it was a fun show and a great night.

Other observations: the Stones should do WAY more acoustic songs....WAY MORE.

Ride 'em on Down was the bomb and Gary Clark jr. is great.
I think BTMMR came off pretty well. I was waiting for him to do one of his patented intro screw-ups, but he played the opening riff pretty tightly. One thing he really can't do anymore is play and sing at the same time...it seems to be either one or the other for the most part.

You can see the MR screw-up VERY closely right here at 7:42:

[www.youtube.com]

I really can't tell whether it was intentional or not. He has a mischievous look on his face and laughs it off immediately, but it could very well have been a complete space-out on his part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 20:52 by keefriff99.

Re: Foxboro/Boston show 7-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 8, 2019 20:53

[www.youtube.com]
watching MR right now.When Keith hits that opening riff during the middle, he clearly does so deliberately. He's plainly goofing off. In a way that seems connected to what happened in Chicaco. But even more, I believe it's in response to the very poor audience interaction. At 6:05 Micks body language suggests very much that he feels let down by the reaction. What Keith does shows irreverence like "well if they don't get into it, we might as well..." It's meant to fly over the heads of those people. Usually the audience is in the palm of Micks hand at that point of the show. They're in fact very tight with each other here, that thing is being approved of. A tiny bit cynical maybe, but it's what it is

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 21:10 by Nikkei.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 20:58

Nikkei
[www.youtube.com]
watching MR right now.When Keith hits that opening riff during the middle, he clearly does so deliberately. He's plainly goofing off. In a way that seems connected to what happened in Chicaco. But even more, I believe it's in response to the very poor audience interaction. At 6:05 Micks body language suggests very much that he feels let down by the reaction. What Keith does shows irreverence like "well if they don't get into it, we might as well..."

If it was intentional, I sure hope that's not the reason.

I'll just leave it at that.

Date: July 8, 2019 21:03

keefriff99
stickyfingers101
Was it just me or did he butcher the first few bars/lines of "Before they Make Me Run" pretty badly?

I don't think the MR "re-start" was Keith just joking around....I think he forgot where he was in the song completely.

These are just my observations, they are not complaints...Keith is who he is and I love him for that.

I think BTMMR came off pretty well. I was waiting for him to do one of his patented intro screw-ups, but he played the opening riff pretty tightly. One thing he really can't do anymore is play and sing at the same time...it seems to be either one or the other for the most part.

[www.youtube.com]

I really can't tell whether it was intentional or not. He has a mischievous look on his face and laughs it off immediately, but it could very well have been a complete space-out on his part.

could be intentional, could be a complete space-out...agreed. Welcome to Keith 2019!!

good times.

and, if you asked him 10 times "what was that?", you'd probably get 10 different answers.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 8, 2019 21:07

I would not say that Midnight Rambler thing was a fck up, but people always blame these fck ups on age although these things always happened.
Here's Brown Sugar from 2003 in Amsterdam in case anyone doesn't know that: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: July 8, 2019 21:10

i think one thing that hampers Keith (aside from age) is that he probably never practices guitar - he's probably like "i know thee songs like the back of my hand" - and aside from the rehearsals never plays around with them -

i do think he has it in him if he really wanted to - but he's Keith and doesn't have to - thankfully he's not where Chuck Berry was in his last years - some of those clips of him basically being propped up on stage are heartbreaking - i don't think Mick will ever allow something like to happen -

long live my beloved Rolling Stones!!!

Date: July 8, 2019 21:28

I think the point here is this: As a musician, do you ever want people to listen to you and say "did (s)he just f_ck up?"

I don't think so.

"did (s)he just f_ck up?"

"oh no...that's just him/her messing around w/ the singer"

"hmmm....strange. Sure sounded like a f_ck up to me"

Is it just me or is that not really the debate you would want surrounding your live performance?

Granted, he's Keith and doesn't really have to GAF about what people think...but, if he doesn't really GAF about whether he is screwing up or whether his "jokes" sound like screw-ups, that's a separate issue.

To repeat: I'm just observing, not complaining. Fun show, great times. Keith is Keith, so whatever.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 8, 2019 21:36

Keith did the MR riff on purpose to bust Micks chops because Mick was morphing into another song like he did with You Got To Move the other night, funny stuff!

It's not 1998 but he's riffing good!

Date: July 8, 2019 21:46

beachbreak
Keith did the MR riff on purpose to bust Micks chops because Mick was morphing into another song like he did with You Got To Move the other night, funny stuff!

Hmm, definitely an interesting theory.

Date: July 8, 2019 21:54

beachbreak

Hasn't Mick "morphed" into another blues song during MR very frequently (every night?) on the No Filter Tour?

Correct me if I am wrong, but he did so at all 4 shows I saw - Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Boston.

If he is doing the "morph" every night, I would assume Keith knows about it, so I doubt he's breaking Mick's chops over something pre-arranged that he knows is coming.

...unless he doesn't like "Blues Falling Down Like Rain" for some reason, which is what Mick "morphed" into last night.

my opinion only.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 8, 2019 21:58

i think it was a plain and simple f%#k up, I think he just was oblivious of the moment.
and I love him the more for that
keep the f%$k ups and f#$k off the looped marimbas on sftd instead!

Date: July 8, 2019 21:58

Come on, it's fairly easy to read them here. Mick is not screwed up by it.

The Rolling Stones - Foxboro MA 7-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 8, 2019 22:18

The Rolling Stones Let It Loose, Troll Trump at Massachusetts Gig

The band’s wonderfully ragged stadium show featured “Play With Fire,” “She’s So Cold” and a cameo from opener Gary Clark Jr.

By Patrick Doyle

Matthew J. Lee/Boston Globe

On Sunday night, Mick Jagger paused his band’s show at Massachusetts’ Gillette Stadium to take in the perfect New England summer evening. He said he hoped everyone had a great July 4th weekend — and added that the Fourth had always been a “touchy holiday for us Brits.” “In fact, the President made a very good point in his speech the other night,” Jagger deadpanned. “He said, ‘If only the British had held on to the airports, the whole thing might have gone differently for us.’”

It’s a great gift that the Rolling Stones are still on the road in the summer of 2019 — their 57th year as a band — let alone having as much fun as they are. Sunday’s show was the fifth date of their No Filter tour, which was postponed this spring so that Jagger could undergo heart surgery. (“Sorry for changing the date on you and screwing up your plans,” Mick told the crowd.) He seemed to have even more energy than on their last U.S. tour four years ago, whether he was prowling the catwalk howling a chilling “Gimme Shelter” or punching the air during “Jumpin’ Jack Flash.” From the “Sympathy for the Devil” guitar solo to classic between-song banter (Keith broke out his staple “Gold rings on ya” and Charlie Watts showed off red socks in honor of the local baseball squad), the entire evening felt like a victory lap. “This is our 29th show in Boston,” Jagger said in an unusually wistful moment. “I want to thank you for coming out to see us so many times. Thank you.”

Boston has always been a major Stones city, from their infamous 1972 concert at Boston Garden, which the mayor had to bail Mick and Keith out of jail to play, to when they opened 2002’s 40 Licks tour by tearing through three venues in town — the tiny Orpheum Theater, the FleetCenter arena and Gillette Stadium — all within a week and a half. Jagger took time to call out North Brookfield, where the band spent six weeks on a farm rehearsing in 1981 — plus other neighboring New England towns like Providence, Rhode Island, and Portland, Maine. He also noted the famous fans in the audience including Aerosmith and New Kids on the Block.

After a dramatic intro set to “The Star-Spangled Banner,” the band kicked off with “Street Fighting Man,” a song Keith Richards recently told Rolling Stone “can’t be topped” as a set opener. It’s clear why — Jagger came out firing, dancing in a yellow leather jacket, moving to each of Keith Richards’ powerful Telecaster riffs. He strode down to the B-stage during a wildly fun “Tumbling Dice.” His manic command reached a new level during “She’s So Cold” — a rarity that won the nightly fan online vote. As Richards wrung licks out of his Gibson hollow-body and Ronnie Wood played a twangy solo, Jagger danced furiously. “She’s so goddamn cold!” he shouted, and then spit on the stage.

The energy only picked up from there. The band invited out Gary Clark Jr, who opened the show, for “Ride ‘Em on Down,” an Eddie Taylor cover the Stones recorded for 2016’s Blue & Lonesome. Earlier in the day, Richards posted a backstage photo with Clark, and the kinship between Clark and the band was clear onstage as well, Jagger grinning as the young guitarist let out a flurry of tasteful licks, before Jagger unleashed a furious harmonica solo. The next surprise came when the band ventured to the B-stage — a segment that Jagger noted has gotten a folk makeover this tour. They strapped on acoustic guitars for a wonderfully ragged take on 1965’s “Play With Fire” (a song Ronnie Wood had been campaigning for) and “Dead Flowers,” with Richards stepping up to the mic to sing backup, evoking their 1972 tour, and giving a taste of his and Jagger’s goosebumps-inducing vocal blend.

Richards wrote in his autobiography Life that part of the magic of the Rolling Stones’ shows is that you’re actually hearing them live, with no tracks or fakery. That rawness was clear during “Midnight Rambler,” when Jagger was in the middle of working the crowd into a frenzy during the instrumental section of the blues epic, about to begin his eerie spoken-word section (“Well, you heard about the Boston …”). But before he could, when the music quieted down, Richards unexpectedly skipped that spoken section and started playing the song’s famous fast riff. The screens captured Jagger frozen for a moment, before he shot Richards a funny look. Richards realized his mistake and stopped playing, put his arm around Ronnie Wood and started laughing. It was an endearing moment that made the Stones feel like a garage band. There were other small hiccups — like when Jagger had to ask the production team to turn on the house music so they could take their journey to the B-stage, or during band introductions when he accidentally said that keyboardist Chuck Leavell was their bassist. “I f*cked up,” Jagger said, laughing. The band took all these problems in stride. Their attitude recalled something Keith often says onstage: “It’s good to be here; it’s good to be anywhere.”

There were plenty of other great moments. Richards sang a wonderfully soulful “Slipping Away,” and noted that he’d missed playing the song during its hiatus from the set list. “Paint it Black” was menacing as ever, Watts’ drum hits echoing through the stadium as Richards played the riff determined and stone-faced. As usual, Ronnie Wood was a blast to watch, nailing the sitar melody of that song and firing off a series of staccato licks during a furious solo in “Miss You” that seemed to blow Jagger away.

The band closed out with a nearly 10-minute “Satisfaction.” It’s a song that could easily feel uninspired at this point in their career, but on Sunday, it became a highlight. As Richards and Wood improvised over the riff, Jagger sprinted down the catwalk and threw off his jacket, getting lost in the song’s R&B reverie. As backup singers sang “Give me some satisfaction,” Jagger howled, “I’ve got to get it!” He kept shouting, “Got to, got to, got to!” louder and louder. On this tour, the band are still searching for satisfaction, and as long as they are, the world is a better place.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 8, 2019 22:26

I can't believe people on here are trying to convince themselves Keith played the intro riff deliberately... Keith is at a stage now where he cannot fool around with the songs and he knows he has to focus not to make mistakes. What happened was the band went almost silent for a moment which made Keith a bit confused and he thought it was time to play the intro riff again. He's 75 years old and playing in front of 50.000 people, it's not strange at all that he became a bit confused in the middle of a 10 min long song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-08 22:27 by yeababyyea.

Date: July 8, 2019 22:34

I guess we see what we want to see. Some make him out to be a doddering old fool apparently. To me he looks pretty sharp

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: July 8, 2019 22:36

We need a Warren Commission to investigate the MR riffgate

Then we can move on to Mick’s band introductions flubb

It’s rock a show. Who cares.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 8, 2019 22:38

keefriff99
keithsman
keefriff99
keithsman
keefriff99
keithsman
MacLaurens
Except for MR, what other songs did Keith "screw up"?

Not so much screw up as go through the motions, i expect too much from him that's my problem.
When people say getting better than ever and things like that, i just wonder have they ever seen what that man could do 20 years ago.
Well, anyone who says "better than ever" is clearly not being objective, but post-2012, I'd say he's doing pretty damn good.

But people forget he was ever like this that think he was on top form last night, it's the difference in between night and day in his performance , about 4.42 onward he just shows what Rock n Roll is all about, energy and attitude. Charlies amazing too, the whole thing just lifts you.
[www.youtube.com]
Well, yeah...I miss those days too. I wish I could shave 21 years off my 40 year old body, LOL.

But there were some downsides back then...Ronnie was often high and/or drunk out of his mind and a liability. Chuck's plinking was intrusive and too loud.

Overall there was more energy and spectacle then, but for a group of guys in their mid/late 70s, I'm content with where they're at.

Ever wonder how good those years might have been if Ronnie got his shit together at the same tome as Keith.
I hear what you are saying, and i agree Keith can't be 60' anymore, hes 76' it's just that since 07' Keith has been showing varying degrees of hanging on, i still enjoy the shows and the sound of Keith guitar is fantastic these days live, i just wish he put a little more into it. He was definitely tired last night, he could do with taking what ever Ronnie is on these days winking smiley
If Ronnie is on anything, it's HGH and TRT. I truly don't think he could function if he was burning the candle at both ends the way he used to.

The thing is Keith DIDN'T have his shit together back then. He was drinking and coked out of his mind, but he could hack it onstage in that condition, where Ronnie often couldn't.

That's where Keith's energy came from, but it wasn't sustainable at his age. The fact he partied as hard as he did for as long as he did is remarkable, but it still caught up with him, and what you see onstage now is a side effect of that.

Yes obviously something like that, Mick also.
Yes Keith was fueled on a sandwich of drink an coke, that's Rock and Roll, he invented it , he honed it down to perfection and since the bang on the head he had to choose life, so Keith got the best of both worlds and at 76 we can't convincingly say he's paying the price can we, he's still doing his gig in an honest way compared to a couple others on stage, as i say role reversal.

Date: July 8, 2019 22:49

stickyfingers101
beachbreak

Hasn't Mick "morphed" into another blues song during MR very frequently (every night?) on the No Filter Tour?

Correct me if I am wrong, but he did so at all 4 shows I saw - Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Boston.

If he is doing the "morph" every night, I would assume Keith knows about it, so I doubt he's breaking Mick's chops over something pre-arranged that he knows is coming.

...unless he doesn't like "Blues Falling Down Like Rain" for some reason, which is what Mick "morphed" into last night.

my opinion only.

The "morph" started on the Zip Code-tour, I believe.

Date: July 8, 2019 22:55

We're in need of an expert assessment, Bard: are they in the pocket or out of it?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 8, 2019 22:56

Nikkei
[www.youtube.com]
watching MR right now.When Keith hits that opening riff during the middle, he clearly does so deliberately. He's plainly goofing off. In a way that seems connected to what happened in Chicaco. But even more, I believe it's in response to the very poor audience interaction. At 6:05 Micks body language suggests very much that he feels let down by the reaction. What Keith does shows irreverence like "well if they don't get into it, we might as well..." It's meant to fly over the heads of those people. Usually the audience is in the palm of Micks hand at that point of the show. They're in fact very tight with each other here, that thing is being approved of. A tiny bit cynical maybe, but it's what it is

I agree 100% that Keith emphatically played the riff. Great moment, thanks for the video!!

Date: July 8, 2019 22:58

Nikkei
We're in need of an expert assessment, Bard: are they in the pocket or out of it?

Haven't heard that hiccup yet, but my working theory is a good, old-fashioned fvck up from Keith smiling smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 23:02

Just a joke.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-09 20:27 by powerage78.

Date: July 8, 2019 23:18

keithsman
Yes obviously something like that, Mick also.
Yes Keith was fueled on a sandwich of drink an coke, that's Rock and Roll, he invented it , he honed it down to perfection and since the bang on the head he had to choose life, so Keith got the best of both worlds and at 76 we can't convincingly say he's paying the price can we, he's still doing his gig in an honest way compared to a couple others on stage, as i say role reversal.
But you keep lamenting Keith's current state...wouldn't it be safe to say that some of his decline is related to his lifestyle?

He could still have gone down as one of the great rock'n'roll hellraisers and cleaned up his act in the '80s or '90s, but he pushed it to the limit instead.

I'll take current Keith over how he was back in, say, 2007. He's definitely slid into a new phase of his onstage career, but he's handling it well for the most part.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 23:33

Last night was magnificent.

The weather was a perfect summer evening and The Stones were fantastic.

Next stop, two shows at Metlife

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 8, 2019 23:44

keefriff99
stickyfingers101

[www.youtube.com]

Upon closer inspection, looks like he was joking around - even Mick is smiling on his way back. Keith and Ronnie then laugh...perhaps the joke was on Mick?
Whatever the case I suppose it could be either, but great to hear Keith rip that killer riff with that heavy tone whether it was intentional or not! thumbs up

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 8, 2019 23:59

Keith starts the chord progression in the middle the E shape at 7th fret to D shape then to A shape before the riff and stops he played it correctly LOL

Date: July 9, 2019 00:00

Perhaps they get a kick out of the idea of us debating stuff like that. To me it's fascinating: Micks vocal performance is rythmically affected by it, his first line sounds alike the riff. It even carries over to the third line.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 9, 2019 00:20

mnewman505
Keith never said he stopped drinking completely --- he says he still has a beer from time to time. I'll see if I can find the exact quote.

A famous quote from the legendary movie "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance":

Dutton Peabody: A beer's not drinking!

Keith knows...

Posted by: lamothem ()
Date: July 9, 2019 00:40

I LOVED the show at Gillette Stadium last night!!!! For them to be playing so well (now in their mid/late 70's), is nothing short of spectacular!

The 'mistakes' last night were minor when compared to their overall performance...I'd see them 1000X again if I could! Their music and stage performance is a source of inspiration for me!!!1

Many thanks to Bjornulf for his dedication and hard work to keep us well informed; much appreciated!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 9, 2019 00:45

filstan
mnewman505
Keith never said he stopped drinking completely --- he says he still has a beer from time to time. I'll see if I can find the exact quote.

A famous quote from the legendary movie "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance":

Dutton Peabody: A beer's not drinking!

Keith knows...

My Grandma lived to the ripe old age of 98.
Her secret was one glass of wine a day, but the funny thing is her glass was the size of a large fish bowl!

While living in England, I knew an owner of a local Pub who was close to 100 years old and happy and healthy as can be.
His secret was one pint of Guinness a day, but he would guzzle the whole damn thing in one go!

As for me I don't drink, so probably won't live anywhere near that age lol.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 13 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1955
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home