Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Photo advice
Posted by: BruceK ()
Date: July 7, 2019 06:33

I hope to be able to use my Panasonic Lumix point & shoot when I see the Stones later this month.

For those of you who have photographed the first few shows can you tell me if there are any issues bringing a point and shoot camera into the venue and where is the best place in Pit 2 to photograph from? I am thinking towards the back near the catwalk but the pit looks huge so perhaps another area is better.

Thanks for the pointers!

BruceK

Re: Photo advice
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 7, 2019 06:59

BruceK
I hope to be able to use my Panasonic Lumix point & shoot when I see the Stones later this month.

For those of you who have photographed the first few shows can you tell me if there are any issues bringing a point and shoot camera into the venue and where is the best place in Pit 2 to photograph from? I am thinking towards the back near the catwalk but the pit looks huge so perhaps another area is better.

Thanks for the pointers!

BruceK

Point and shoot cameras are fine as long as they don't have a detachable lens.
The best place to photograph from is as close as you can get to the stage. You will not be able to move around inside the pit easily so get there early and get a good spot on the barricade.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: July 7, 2019 07:19

I posted a similar message about a week ago, which may have gone unnoticed. Maybe I should have mentioned that a Bridge Camera is still a Point and Shoot.

Here's my unanswered question:

Has anybody tried to take a Mega Zoom camera into a stadium concert? The Nikon Coolpix P1000 (125x optical zoom) and the P900 (83x optical zoom) are both bridge cameras, with non-removeable lenses.

While the optical zoom powers are impressive, they are still laughably useless from the upper deck at the far end of a football stadium. I've seen some stadium policies limit the length of the lens extension, but how strict are they enforcing it? There are people in the Pits shooting HD video with cameras that have 30x-40x optical zoom lenses.

The last time I was at the far end of a stadium for a Stones concert, I used big binoculars to watch the video screen. One would think any bridge camera should be within reason.

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: July 7, 2019 14:45

No problem to bring a camera in as long as it not a SLR. A compact camera is fine.
30x, 40x zoom cameras will do the trick but a camera with less zoom and a more light sensitive/better quality lens will be better. Make sure you're in the pit.
Have posted some reviews and settings about camera's on my FB page; scroll all the way down:

[www.facebook.com]

Hendrik

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: July 7, 2019 16:48

Hendrik
No problem to bring a camera in as long as it not a SLR. A compact camera is fine.
30x, 40x zoom cameras will do the trick but a camera with less zoom and a more light sensitive/better quality lens will be better. Make sure you're in the pit.
Have posted some reviews and settings about camera's on my FB page; scroll all the way down:

[www.facebook.com]

Hendrik

I plan to bring my Sony A6000 to NJ. I have brought it into other concerts in Europe before and MetLife stadium's camera policy is "cameras with lenses smaller than 6 inches in length". My lens is only 3 inches long so I should be fine.

I know that people have got DSLR's into MetLife Stadium for concerts because of this policy of cameras with lenses that are 6 inches or less in length.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-07 16:51 by WelshEdge1.

Posted by: majomuc ()
Date: July 8, 2019 13:22

I have the similar "problem" with my Canon M6.

It is really small (like a compact point/shoot), but technically it has removable lenses.

So my zoom is much less then those big bridge cams, but theoretically not allowed.

I did not have many problems in Europe with it in the past (though some discussions).

But I have no idea, how strict the "removable" concerns the security at the stadium gates.

The lens is certainly shorter than the specifications, but removable.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: July 8, 2019 13:49

majomuc
I have the similar "problem" with my Canon M6.

It is really small (like a compact point/shoot), but technically it has removable lenses.

So my zoom is much less then those big bridge cams, but theoretically not allowed.

I did not have many problems in Europe with it in the past (though some discussions).

But I have no idea, how strict the "removable" concerns the security at the stadium gates.

The lens is certainly shorter than the specifications, but removable.

What shows are you going to? Look at their policies and look up on Flickr to see if people have got cameras in for previous concerts.

For MetLife Stadium I have seen photos of U2 in 2017 taken with a Canon DSLR and Sony full frame mirrorless:

Posted by: majomuc ()
Date: July 8, 2019 14:35

I'm going to Houston this time.

In theory most venues say "no detachables lenses" - but it depends on the local security most of the time.

The camera looks small, but well ... ;-)

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: July 8, 2019 16:09

Hendrik

[www.facebook.com]

Hendrik
Two Thank you Thank Yous for you Hendrik smileys with beer smileys with beer

1) Thank you for sharing you AMAZING Stones shots you have taken over the years.
I know it is not simple to be there and capture all of those shots,
it takes a lot of effort and you sharing with us so easy is really AWESOME! Thank You!

2) Thank you for talking about your Sony DSC-WX500 and how you use it at 1/250 shutter preferred, 800 ASA and letting the aperture do what it needs to.

Thank You Thank You!

Posted by: BruceK ()
Date: July 8, 2019 18:30

Hendrik:

You have some outstanding photos! Where in the Pit do you shoot from: front, middle, side? Since the Pit appears to be rather crowded, once I stake my turf I will probably be stuck there so I want to choose wisely. I assume a good telephoto lens compensates for the distance but I don't want the angle to be too steep. I appreciate your recommendations.

BruceK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home