Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: New Documentary on the Death of Brian Jones
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 19, 2019 18:47

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2019 00:26

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 20, 2019 00:57

By now, I don't care. Billions of people have died since. The only interest left in this is money. Every second year someone comes out with a "new" book. Which often is no more than a rewrite of the old ones.
And rest assured, we're all going down that path (Brian's). Sooner or later. With or without books written about it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 20, 2019 19:47

His Majesty
paulspendel
Let's see what 'Jukebox Jury' Mathijs comes up with....

Flip The Switch - Beautiful Delilah

20 years on and I still like that solo! Including the deliberate mistake I copied from Keith’s solo.

If I am allowed to say so.

Mathijs

Date: August 20, 2019 19:54

An honourable version, full of life. smoking smiley

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: August 21, 2019 07:31

I know of only two rock musicians whose impacts on their bands were so huge that each band's sound changed completely when they left: Brian Jones and Keith Moon.
That doesn't mean that they were musical geniuses; it just means that their contributions were so unique that the band simply couldn't (or wouldn't try to) replicate them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-21 07:34 by Jayce.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 21, 2019 07:37

Guess that also goes for Bonzo... that finished the band off

Date: August 21, 2019 09:10

Nikkei
Guess that also goes for Bonzo... that finished the band off

Yeah, they sounded very different with Phil Collins winking smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 21, 2019 18:26

Brian's counter melodies were beautiful on Under My Thumb, Out of Time and Lady Jane. His slide work on Little Red Rooster, No Expecations and I Wanna Be Your Man real good and his work on Last Time is awesome. His guitar work for the short time he was in the band stands up over time.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: August 21, 2019 18:57

Spot on.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: August 21, 2019 19:58

The period from 62 to 69 - Keith and Brian, the real WEAVERS, on those early records the use of open tunings was added but what about drop tunings - I can not recall Keith or Brian using drop d tunings only Open D . The use of drop d tunings was used by so many songwriters of all eras.

Date: August 21, 2019 21:06

OpenG
The period from 62 to 69 - Keith and Brian, the real WEAVERS, on those early records the use of open tunings was added but what about drop tunings - I can not recall Keith or Brian using drop d tunings only Open D . The use of drop d tunings was used by so many songwriters of all eras.

Brian played Little Red Rooster in open G.

Date: August 21, 2019 21:41

Known recordings show Brian using standard, open G, open E and open A tunings for guitar.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 21, 2019 22:13

Swayed1967
Mathijs
His Majesty
Mathijs

Not everything Keith has done was majestic, no.

Mathijs

You liked them when you thought they were Keith. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Mathijs

... I don’t like - I find it mediocre - I don’t like - I don’t like...
Mathijs

Basically, you don't like The Rolling Stones, not the real one atleast. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I like the Stones for a different reason than you. We both love the UK Aftermath, but probably for a different reason.

I am curious though, which parts I thought where Keith’s did I like?

Ps I forgot Brian’s fantastic slide on Little Red Rooster.

Mathijs

I admire Mathijs for ignoring the baiting and passive aggressive smileys of His Majesty and instead simply and methodically explaining why he finds Brian’s playing slightly inadequate. Very persuasive too, I must say. The ‘wobbliness’ of his slide in No Expectations is particularly well observed (although it only makes me love his plaintive playing all the more…and let’s give Jack Nitzsche a footnote too while we’re at it!)

As Mathijs has hinted at, Brian’s two biggest contributions were not in fact musical, strictly speaking. First, if he hadn’t been so hopeless as a songwriter, it’s possible that Keith and Mick wouldn’t have been encouraged to hone their own songwriting skills and create iconic tunes like Sympathy for the Devil (a song the calibre of which Brian couldn’t hope to match had he lived to be 75…although in fairness it should be mentioned that he & the gals absolutely shine during the woo-wooing). So that was a lucky break. And then of course there’s his abuse of women. If he hadn’t punched out Anita she may have never come to complicate Keith’s life in ways that would inspire him to write classics like Gimme Shelter. So way to go Bri!

But what Mathijs leaves unsaid I will say: Only a kook would put this guy on a pedestal.[/quote

Sympathy wouldnt exist hadnt Jimmy Miller told them to not copy Dear Mr Fantasy without firat changing the tempo. You totally miss how crucial the actual producing part is to the Stones songs and albums.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 22, 2019 09:35

Redhotcarpet

Sympathy wouldnt exist hadnt Jimmy Miller told them to not copy Dear Mr Fantasy without firat changing the tempo. You totally miss how crucial the actual producing part is to the Stones songs and albums.

No, I didn't miss a thing because unfortunately I was already familiar with your tiresome thoughts on that song.

Here’s what I imagine Jimmy Miller would tell you:
1. Your post has nothing to do with Brian Jones.
2. Your grammar is atrocious.
3. You’ve made so many Ry Cooder sh*tposts that everybody already knows what you think (and then Jimmy would punch you).

Date: August 22, 2019 10:07

Swayed1967
Redhotcarpet

No, I didn't miss a thing. Unfortunately I was already familiar with your tiresome thoughts on that song.

1. Your post has nothing to do with Brian Jones
2. Your grammar is atrocious
3. You’ve made so many Ry Cooder shitposts that everybody already knows what you think (and then Jimmy would punch you)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 22, 2019 11:49

OpenG
Brian's counter melodies were beautiful on Under My Thumb, Out of Time and Lady Jane. His slide work on Little Red Rooster, No Expecations and I Wanna Be Your Man real good and his work on Last Time is awesome. His guitar work for the short time he was in the band stands up over time.

Quite so.

But I think, if we leave aside the band politics and relationship stuff, there are actually some quite strong parallels between Brian & MT.

Both hugely talented instrumentalists and interpreters of music...but neither gifted or driven as writers or creators of that music.

In so far as the creative axis of the band was concerned, once Mick & Keith became a prolific song writing machine, there wasn't room for any other strong directional influences .

Brian and MT often added the seasoning that made the dishes special.. but they didn't write the recipe book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-22 17:07 by Spud.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 19, 2019 22:29

Mick and Keith have always looked for another Brian to add "colour" around the edges to their ideas. A nice understated way of saying they need someone to elevate their technically simple songs to a higher level.

In fairness, Jack Nitzsche and Nicky Hopkins did this during the same years as Brian. Al Kooper certainly did this with "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Jimmy Miller, Jim Price, and even the likes of Mike Leander and David Whittaker early on deserve credit for trying to bring some semblance of allowing them to compete with The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Dylan, etc.

To a lesser extent, Billy Preston brought this to bear on the band for much of the 1970s and even Ronnie at his start with some off-the-wall but effective touches like the wailing pedal steel on "Shattered."

Mick tried getting back in touch with this side starting with PRIMITIVE COOL. I'm not sure whether to credit Keith Diamond or Phil Ashley, but it's there and it's the same role Matt Clifford largely played in the last 30 years off and on with both the Stones and Mick solo. When you hear "Moon is Up" or "Infamy" that's the Stones trying to evoke Brian, however weakly. Mick's desire to infuse contemporary touches into their signature sound is more of the same.

Keith looked to Bernie Worrell, Ivan Neville, Willie Mitchell, Maceo Parker, and Buckwheat Zydeco to contribute outside "colour" to TALK IS CHEAP in a much more conventional fashion, though certainly atypical of what people expected from Keith. In many ways,he was building on what The New Barbarians attempted in their own half-assed fashion while hopelessly stoned.

The difference is these were sidemen, arrangers, and producers whereas Brian was one of them. The more accomplished guitarist when the band was formed, they went the same route in selecting Mick Taylor to replace him. To be certain, Taylor's musicianship elevated performances in the studio and onstage, but in a very different way - by simply being a jaw-dropping guitar player on what are deceptively simple compositions and arrangements. The Stones were the bar band with an inexplicable secret ingredient that made them impossible to successfully emulate. They were also far more eclectic than most credit them. This is why bands that are polar opposites like The Black Crowes and INXS could be seen as their offspring with both claims of parentage equally valid.

Brian was something completely different. I don't judge what he contributed to SATANIC MAJESTIES forward because I don't entirely trust the documentation that exists. He may have done more than he is credited for, they certainly weren't inclined to be overly generous to him by that stage.

The fact that Brian was an abusive jerk doesn't enter into my musical appreciation since I don't have illusions that Mick and Keith are swell people either. Even Charlie can be a jerk to people and certainly Ronnie. They are hugely successful and out-of-touch with a world where they are not the center of the universe. Do I think they're any worse than any other A-list talent? Of course not. Some people also have great interactions with them. It doesn't change the fact that they still have huge character flaws and lapses in judgement.

Is Brian underrated in the scope of the band's history? Of course, so is Bill, though Bill's contributions were more subtle and being an introvert, it was even easier to pass him by. As for the conspiracy theories for and against, it's all of interest. I'll consider all the posts so long as they're intelligent and impassioned. It's all worth evaluating whether the conclusion is death by misadventure or foul play. It's all part of the rich pageant that is The Rolling Stones. So is Brian Jones, half a century after his death. He is part of their DNA and far more than the spectral presence who haunts those nostalgic clips of yesteryear.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 20, 2019 01:17

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
Redhotcarpet

No, I didn't miss a thing. Unfortunately I was already familiar with your tiresome thoughts on that song.

1. Your post has nothing to do with Brian Jones
2. Your grammar is atrocious
3. You’ve made so many Ry Cooder shitposts that everybody already knows what you think (and then Jimmy would punch you)

Date: September 20, 2019 11:46

Rocky Dijon thumbs up

Date: September 20, 2019 15:04

Thank you, your Majesty.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 10:57

That was a nice bit of proper consideration, Rocky. Too much written stuff in all those many books was copy work from others. Some try/tried to rewrite history, but facts remain facts, whatever some may try. And there are some people (still) around who know soooo much, but have chosen not to surface it. Maybe better so.

Date: September 21, 2019 17:53

Thanks, Georgie. There has never been enough about Brian or the Brian era of the band on IORR. Lots of people here are blessed with knowledge, insight, and the ability to express themselves well (many doing so in a foreign language). I only wanted to encourage this thread and others like it to flourish because I want to enjoy them and learn from them.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 24, 2019 10:15

Rocky Dijon
Mick and Keith have always looked for another Brian to add "colour" around the edges to their ideas. A nice understated way of saying they need someone to elevate their technically simple songs to a higher level.

In fairness, Jack Nitzsche and Nicky Hopkins did this during the same years as Brian. Al Kooper certainly did this with "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Jimmy Miller, Jim Price, and even the likes of Mike Leander and David Whittaker early on deserve credit for trying to bring some semblance of allowing them to compete with The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Dylan, etc.

To a lesser extent, Billy Preston brought this to bear on the band for much of the 1970s and even Ronnie at his start with some off-the-wall but effective touches like the wailing pedal steel on "Shattered."

Mick tried getting back in touch with this side starting with PRIMITIVE COOL. I'm not sure whether to credit Keith Diamond or Phil Ashley, but it's there and it's the same role Matt Clifford largely played in the last 30 years off and on with both the Stones and Mick solo. When you hear "Moon is Up" or "Infamy" that's the Stones trying to evoke Brian, however weakly. Mick's desire to infuse contemporary touches into their signature sound is more of the same.

Keith looked to Bernie Worrell, Ivan Neville, Willie Mitchell, Maceo Parker, and Buckwheat Zydeco to contribute outside "colour" to TALK IS CHEAP in a much more conventional fashion, though certainly atypical of what people expected from Keith. In many ways,he was building on what The New Barbarians attempted in their own half-assed fashion while hopelessly stoned.

The difference is these were sidemen, arrangers, and producers whereas Brian was one of them. The more accomplished guitarist when the band was formed, they went the same route in selecting Mick Taylor to replace him. To be certain, Taylor's musicianship elevated performances in the studio and onstage, but in a very different way - by simply being a jaw-dropping guitar player on what are deceptively simple compositions and arrangements. The Stones were the bar band with an inexplicable secret ingredient that made them impossible to successfully emulate. They were also far more eclectic than most credit them. This is why bands that are polar opposites like The Black Crowes and INXS could be seen as their offspring with both claims of parentage equally valid.

Brian was something completely different. I don't judge what he contributed to SATANIC MAJESTIES forward because I don't entirely trust the documentation that exists. He may have done more than he is credited for, they certainly weren't inclined to be overly generous to him by that stage.

The fact that Brian was an abusive jerk doesn't enter into my musical appreciation since I don't have illusions that Mick and Keith are swell people either. Even Charlie can be a jerk to people and certainly Ronnie. They are hugely successful and out-of-touch with a world where they are not the center of the universe. Do I think they're any worse than any other A-list talent? Of course not. Some people also have great interactions with them. It doesn't change the fact that they still have huge character flaws and lapses in judgement.

Is Brian underrated in the scope of the band's history? Of course, so is Bill, though Bill's contributions were more subtle and being an introvert, it was even easier to pass him by. As for the conspiracy theories for and against, it's all of interest. I'll consider all the posts so long as they're intelligent and impassioned. It's all worth evaluating whether the conclusion is death by misadventure or foul play. It's all part of the rich pageant that is The Rolling Stones. So is Brian Jones, half a century after his death. He is part of their DNA and far more than the spectral presence who haunts those nostalgic clips of yesteryear.

Well written as always but it took a long time for you to make your one valid point – that Brian is part of their DNA. That’s irrefutable (as a metaphor at least) but this notion that the Stones have been constantly channeling his spirit (Billy Preston – that ‘s Brian in an Afro..Dave Stewart – Brian in a bad suit…Taylor Swift – Brian in a dress) is a bit of a stretch. IMO the Stones never looked back after expelling him. It doesn’t mean they can’t work with other people (or that it's the ghost of Brian compelling them to).

Oh wait, you made another valid point – beating up women doesn’t make him a lesser musician. Too true. I had an Aunt who tried to discourage me from reading Hemmingway because she claimed he was a misogynist. I read him anyways and I’m glad I did. So I don’t have any issue with people who get off on isolating Brian’s acoustic guitar part in ‘Satisfaction’ but there’s a fine line between appreciating his music and honoring the man which tends to get crossed by his fervent admirers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-24 10:40 by Swayed1967.

Date: September 24, 2019 14:56

Well-written with two valid points! I'm drowning in praise this morning.

New Brian Jones film
Posted by: sizey ()
Date: October 31, 2019 18:33

Re: New Brian Jones film
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 31, 2019 18:53

[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 31, 2019 21:26

sounds like it will be similar to stoned.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 1, 2019 01:40

I can't wait for the crap scary music bed when they talk about the 'suspects' in Saint Brian's death.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 1, 2019 06:26

24FPS
I can't wait for the crap scary music bed when they talk about the 'suspects' in Saint Brian's death.

Not a dumb spelling flame, but did you mean to write...

I can't wait for the crap scary music bit when they talk about the 'suspects' in Saint Brian's death.

ie Autocorrect to 'bed' when it should have been 'bit'??

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home