Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213
Current Page: 13 of 13
Re: Life And Death Of Brian Jones - New Documentary
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: June 12, 2020 21:31

Rent or buy Life and Death of Brian Jones ;

[vimeo.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 13, 2020 08:37

Lien
Rent or buy Life and Death of Brian Jones ;

[vimeo.com]

I'd rather listen to his metallic version of 'I Just Can't Be Satisfied' from the On Air CD.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 13, 2020 22:46

I disagree that he was a " victim"...he created his own misery but being out of control and trying to compensate for his inadequacies by beating on his girlfriends and creating a lot of havoc within the band....resulting in their not even being allowed to tour the USA if HE was in the band. He was a legend in his own mind. Just my opinion.

Re: New Documentary on the Death of Brian Jones
Posted by: Humf ()
Date: June 13, 2020 23:11

Has anyone has a link to the Youtube of an alleged live performance of JJF in Holland with Brian Jones still in the line-up. The poster who mentioned it here on IORR said it sounded much more interesting and "guitar heavy" than the released single which was in 1968. Perhaps it was for Dutch TV that year while BJ was still around as I understood the last tour they did with that line-up was in 1967.

Posted by: Humf ()
Date: June 13, 2020 23:23

Repeat post but directed to someone else and ended up here next to the original:-((

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-14 00:01 by Humf.

Date: June 21, 2020 01:06

This link has a little information. Sorry if this has already been posted I did not read the entire thread.

[www.yahoo.com]

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 22, 2020 14:01

Rolling Stone: Life and Death of Brian Jones was directed by Danny Garcia, who has also done acclaimed docs on The Clash, Johnny Thunders, and Sid Vicious. He and his co-writer/co-producer Nick Reynolds answered some of our questions about the film and Jones' impact on the band.

[www.songfacts.com]

Bjornulf

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: September 12, 2020 23:53

Has anybody got a hold of this doco yet?

Posted by: stones1969 ()
Date: September 13, 2020 03:14

I saw the Danny Garcia documentary on Brian Jones. To me it was good at best. No Stones music and interviews with people who once ran the Brian Jones Fan Club. There were rumors of another documentary film about Brian that would have included Stones music but it's on hold right now.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 17, 2020 19:00

And another documentary The Curious Life and Death Of: A Rolling Stone ;

SUMMARY
Dr Lindsey Fitzharris explores the mysterious death of Brian Jones - founder of the Rolling Stones. Was it drink, drugs and rock 'n'roll, or does new evidence suggest murder?

[www.dailymotion.com]

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: September 18, 2020 11:02

BBC4 is also prepairing a documentary.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2020 11:09

Wow, the life and especially the death of Brian Jones seems to still gather interest. For a Stones fan that is great but unfortunately the results are rather mediocre (to say it mildly) mostly.

- Doxa

Date: September 18, 2020 12:02

I know what you mean, Doxa. they keep repeating the first layer of facts/assumptions. the second layer is must more interesting, but commercially not interesting enough for the production companies because these details will escape the large audiences. I think Norman Pilchers new book will be interesting, although I received quite some criticism for associating myself with him for these memoires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 12:02 by paulspendel.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 18, 2020 12:19

paulspendel
I think Norman Pilchers new book will be interesting, although I received quite some criticism for associating myself with him for these memoires.

Not by me. Cops memoirs are always very interesting : even though they're usually to write only 10% of what they've seen, these 10% are often very enlightening.

Date: September 18, 2020 12:35

Thank you, dcba, very encouraging.Norman goes all the way, a 100%.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2020 12:46

At the top of my wish list would be a Brian Jones documentary in which the Stones and ABKCO would whole-heartidly co-operate. At least we would here some true Stones music. And it would be concentrated mostly on his musical significance and contribution as a Rolling Stone (with its highs and lows).

I know I know. Never will come true... Too many obstacles on a way to even start to mentioning....

It is funny that there are still people - who usually were there at the time - who associate Brian with the greatness and peak of Stones music in the 60's. I know so many people who lost the interest in the band after he was gone, and they became a 'normal rock band', not any longer that always evolving, exciting and adventurous 60's band, and the main rival of the Beatles. For them the old idea of Brian being the 'best musician of them all' still lives on. Thankfully for the band the 'tongue era' gathered them a whole new following for whom Brian is just a footnote in the story of 'the greatest rock and roll band of the world'. I sometimes get the feeling that for the former the significance of Brian's contribution is over-estimated and for the latter under-estimated.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 12:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 18, 2020 13:24

Doxa
... I sometimes get the feeling that for the former the significance of Brian's contribution is over-estimated and for the latter under-estimated.

- Doxa

You have a good point there, Doxa. After almost 6 Decades things sometimes become foggy and people sometimes tend to exaggerate.
Travelling back to early 1964 I still know the impact the Stones had on me. Obviously at (high)school there were lots of "discussions" about this new wave of British bands floating across the globe.
Becoming a Stones fan was't easy, because very soon the band had this public dangerous, dirty, etc. image.
Luckily for me it was easy to explain why "it was the Rolling Stones for me".
They were a real BAND. The voice of Mick perfectly integrated as an instrument along the other instruments (guitars, drums, harp, etc.). The rhythm section was so solid and the hidden secret of the band. Brian and Keith could do anything on top of that.
Neither of them were "more important" or "better". They were part of that magnificant BAND. No other band (some really good ones) could even come close (sorry Hairball winking smiley).
Memories ....
smileys with beer

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 11, 2020 19:09

I have taken the time to watch this film, and I'd like to share a few thoughts:

1. That there is no Stones' music therein is noteworthy. Either the band did not want anything to do with this, or, the focus was deliberately elsewhere. Had there been Stones' music, to me, the story line would have been more credible.

2. Stash and Sam Cutler were the takeaways from this, and the former's considerable support activity in and around this film's release suggests that he was the driving force behind the production.

3. While the clips of Stash and Cutler were nice to see, all in all, this is not a film I would ever return to or even refer to as having any real historical veracity or value. BJ conspiracies theories have sold well over the years, but this ought to (hopefully) be the last of them.

4. I am so, so, so tired of people trying so desperately hard to elevate Brian's status and stature in the last couple years of his life. Short of his drug bust(s), after the Stones ceased touring, little was heard from Brian or about Brian until his death. As Stash (who ought to know better than the dream-wishers I read in IORR) has related, by 1969, Brian could no longer play at the level needed to function within the band.

5. I echo quietbeatle's comments: "Well I saw the film last night. Not great. Felt like I was watching a rough cut or something. Most of the footage was same stuff you find on youtube except for some footage of a teenage brian on holiday. They used the same clips over and over and over throughout the film. The music was lame. Seems like they just didn't have the funding to procure better music, clips, photos or interviews. There is a lot of Brian audio out there and they barely used any of it. The interviews were pretty much the same old. Stash, Sam and Cleo were great though. Nothing revelatory imo."

6. It would be nice to see a good documentary on Brian Jones' life instead of everyone trying so hard to make him into a Rock God or something that, after 1966, he clearly was not.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 12, 2020 10:59

Humf
Has anyone has a link to the Youtube of an alleged live performance of JJF in Holland with Brian Jones still in the line-up. The poster who mentioned it here on IORR said it sounded much more interesting and "guitar heavy" than the released single which was in 1968. Perhaps it was for Dutch TV that year while BJ was still around as I understood the last tour they did with that line-up was in 1967.

No such performance happened. Brian only performed Jumpin' Jack Flash at the NME Poll-Winners concert and The Rock 'n Roll Circus. In fact, I believe the only T.V. appearance - anywhere - that the Stones made post-'67 with Brian, was the David Frost show, towards the end of 1968.

Date: October 12, 2020 13:03

stonesstein
I have taken the time to watch this film, and I'd like to share a few thoughts:

1. That there is no Stones' music therein is noteworthy. Either the band did not want anything to do with this, or, the focus was deliberately elsewhere. Had there been Stones' music, to me, the story line would have been more credible.

2. Stash and Sam Cutler were the takeaways from this, and the former's considerable support activity in and around this film's release suggests that he was the driving force behind the production.

3. While the clips of Stash and Cutler were nice to see, all in all, this is not a film I would ever return to or even refer to as having any real historical veracity or value. BJ conspiracies theories have sold well over the years, but this ought to (hopefully) be the last of them.

4. I am so, so, so tired of people trying so desperately hard to elevate Brian's status and stature in the last couple years of his life. Short of his drug bust(s), after the Stones ceased touring, little was heard from Brian or about Brian until his death. As Stash (who ought to know better than the dream-wishers I read in IORR) has related, by 1969, Brian could no longer play at the level needed to function within the band.

5. I echo quietbeatle's comments: "Well I saw the film last night. Not great. Felt like I was watching a rough cut or something. Most of the footage was same stuff you find on youtube except for some footage of a teenage brian on holiday. They used the same clips over and over and over throughout the film. The music was lame. Seems like they just didn't have the funding to procure better music, clips, photos or interviews. There is a lot of Brian audio out there and they barely used any of it. The interviews were pretty much the same old. Stash, Sam and Cleo were great though. Nothing revelatory imo."

6. It would be nice to see a good documentary on Brian Jones' life instead of everyone trying so hard to make him into a Rock God or something that, after 1966, he clearly was not.

I Ain't Signifying is there.

Posted by: CaptainGlassback ()
Date: October 12, 2020 20:28

I am inclined to think that the 'BJ on JJF in Holland' is quite simply the Circus, (probably on someone's telly in the Netherlands!!), in which BJ's contribution was fantastic. He certainly added the 'roll' that Keef often goes on about!

Date: October 12, 2020 20:51

CaptainGlassback
I am inclined to think that the 'BJ on JJF in Holland' is quite simply the Circus, (probably on someone's telly in the Netherlands!!), in which BJ's contribution was fantastic. He certainly added the 'roll' that Keef often goes on about!

How was Brian's contribution on JJF 'fantastic' on Rock'n'Roll Circus?

Here's a demonstration of what Brian actually played, played by His Majesty, btw: [youtu.be]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213
Current Page: 13 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home