Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: New Documentary on the Death of Brian Jones
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 27, 2019 11:55

Rocky Dijon
If he was due to receive a substantial payout (as opposed to simply sharing in ongoing financial participation), it wouldn't end with his death - it would go to his heirs. Murdering him would not prevent anything. Now if one could prove something such as a manager or agent being his beneficiary, then you'd have a murder mystery worth pursuing. Since such info has never surfaced, I suspect his family received his royalty payments going forward.

I suppose the only wriggle room would have been if Brian was playing hardball suggesting he deserved more and making noise about suing all and sundry. If that was the case, why would he play nice with the press release over their split just a few weeks before? Not really likely from that perspective. Also, folks like Alexis Korner or Pete Townshend would likely have indicated that he said something of the sort to them. Most people going through an ugly split tell their friends about it. Someone would have said something.

What I was suggesting that Brian alive, with money rolling in, could be 'tapped' into / leaned upon, which no doubt happened whilst he was alive.
On his death, as far as we are aware any assets and ongoing income would pass on to his heirs (parents). Thereafter, the gravy train for those people would cease. It would be too 'dangerous' and stupid surely to keep chasing the money tree.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: December 27, 2019 21:29

It’s not on Netflix?

Date: December 27, 2019 21:30

Christiaan
It’s not on Netflix?

In movie theaters. Will catch it in Oslo on January 24.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: January 9, 2020 17:47

what are the reviews on this new doc? anyone here see it?
its coming to NYC but for one night only - I wonder why such a limited release.

maybe it'll hit Netflix after the theater run.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: January 9, 2020 21:16

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: January 9, 2020 23:18

I'm seeing it Sunday night in LA. One screening. Prince Stash is doing a Q and A so should be interesting.

Date: January 10, 2020 00:36

HalfNanker
what are the reviews on this new doc? anyone here see it?
its coming to NYC but for one night only - I wonder why such a limited release.

maybe it'll hit Netflix after the theater run.

Well, it seems to be getting more showings than Bill's film, which is very disappointing.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: January 13, 2020 16:06

i haven't seen anything about Bills, was it even in theaters?

Date: January 13, 2020 16:37

HalfNanker
i haven't seen anything about Bills, was it even in theaters?

[iorr.org]

Date: January 14, 2020 00:06

Well I saw the film last night. Not great. Felt like I was watching a rough cut or something. Most of the footage was same stuff you find on youtube except for some footage of a teenage brian on holiday. They used the same clips over and over and over throughout the film. The music was lame. Seems like they just didn't have the funding to procure better music, clips, photos or interviews. There is a lot of Brian audio out there and they barely used any of it. The interviews were pretty much the same old. Stash, Sam and Cleo were great though. Nothing revelatory imo. The best thing about the night was Stash coming on stage after the film and giving a talk and answering questions. I taped it and here is a link if interested: [www.youtube.com]

Date: January 14, 2020 11:28

Dare I ask....does it (the film) draw any conclusions? And how strong is their evidence?

Posted by: JoT839 ()
Date: January 14, 2020 12:01

Not sure if this has been discussed, but a new radio documentary and interview with Anna Wohlin was done recently by Swedish National radio.

Indeed an interesting interview were she straight up says that Thorogood was responsible for his death (and she has always believed so). Unfortunately it is only in swedish, link below

Sr.se

Date: January 14, 2020 20:26

nope. no conclusions. same questions, same answers. same controversy.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 14, 2020 20:34

quietbeatle

As it will always be. It's a shame they keep making crappy 'documentaries', and 'dramas' about Brian. A good, professional, dispassionate documentary about Brian would be nice, but we've pretty much squeezed the grapes dry. Brian was talented. Brian was troubled. Brian was an a-hole. Brian got canned. Brian died. (Of which few questions remain, or matter). He's a cult figure. Not that major a figure as say, Buddy Holly.)

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 15, 2020 22:13

24FPS
quietbeatle

As it will always be. It's a shame they keep making crappy 'documentaries', and 'dramas' about Brian. A good, professional, dispassionate documentary about Brian would be nice, but we've pretty much squeezed the grapes dry. Brian was talented. Brian was troubled. Brian was an a-hole. Brian got canned. Brian died. (Of which few questions remain, or matter). He's a cult figure. Not that major a figure as say, Buddy Holly.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-16 12:00 by runaway.

Date: January 16, 2020 12:42

JoT839
Not sure if this has been discussed, but a new radio documentary and interview with Anna Wohlin was done recently by Swedish National radio.

Indeed an interesting interview were she straight up says that Thorogood was responsible for his death (and she has always believed so). Unfortunately it is only in swedish, link below

Sr.se

What, no Swedish members on this site?!
Just a random thought: I have never seen any photos of Brian and Anna together. I dont think Brian was a photographer in the way Bill was, but still, seems a bit strange.

Date: January 16, 2020 13:39

I'll have a listen soon.

Rolling Stone - Life And Death Of Brian Jones
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: December 16, 2019 02:57

Here's another new documentary about Brian, out on 16.12.19 - [www.facebook.com]

The other one, "Brian Jones - The Final Truth" which was supposed to have been released back in July 2019, appears to have gone A.W.O.L.

Can anybody come up with a link to either or both of these documentaries?

Re: Rolling Stone - Life And Death Of Brian Jones
Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: December 18, 2019 12:26

I think you'll find both documentaries will end with the conclusion that Brian Jones is dead.

Date: December 18, 2019 22:06

gimme_shelter
I think you'll find both documentaries will end with the conclusion that Brian Jones is dead.

I agree, and it's easy to be sceptical about these films, especially because one of them, with a profound statement in its promo, hasn't seen the light of day almost 6 months after the stated release date.

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: December 24, 2019 14:30

16th December: London, Regent Street Cinema.
Premiere of the documentary 'Rolling Stone: Life And Death Of Brian Jones'
Director: Danny Garcia.
[www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: January 19, 2020 12:32

Can anybody come up with any links to this film?

Re: Life And Death Of Brian Jones - New Documentary
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 20, 2020 13:34

Official FB pages of the documentary:

Rolling Stone: Life and Death of Brian Jones

The first screenings of documentary:

London - Regent Street Cinema - Dec 16th
Los Angeles - The Regent - January 12th
Dallas - Texas Theatre - January 16th
San Sebastian - Dock of the Bay fest .- January 16th
San Francisco - Balboa - January 16th
Portland - Hollywood Theatre - January 19th
Salt Lake City - Brewvies Cinema - January 23rd
Oslo - Oslo Konserthus & Røverstaden - January 24th
Düsseldorf - Atelier - January 25th
NYC - Anthology Film Archives - January 30th
Boston - Regent Theatre - January 30th / February 1st/4th
Santa Ana - The Frida Cinema - February 8th
Seattle - Ark Lodge Cinemas - February 13th
Pittsburgh - Harris Theatre Downtown - February 15th
Sao Paulo - Olga 17 - Feb 15th
Chichester - Cinema at New Park - Feb 21st/24th
Curitiba - Centro Cultural Sistema Fiep - February 22nd
Harrisburg - Moviate - February 23rd
Cleveland - Grog Shop - February 23rd
Gothenburg - Bio Roy - February 24th
Buenos Aires - Strummer - March 12th
Minneapolis - Trylon Cinema - April 8th
Paris - tba

Details of tickets etc here:

Rolling Stone: Life and Death of Brian Jones

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 20, 2020 13:38

That sounds like the film is doing a sort of tour

Date: January 20, 2020 16:56

Stash Klossowski De Rola:

Of all the people who do appear in the film, it’s Prince Stash Klossowski de Rola who best gives an impression of what Brian Jones was really like, apart from the details of his tragic death and the several decades of mythmaking about his self-destructive tendencies. “He’s like the keeper of the torch,” Garcia marvels about Stash. “He loves Brian in every way. He was @#$%& there. He got arrested with Brian — you don’t get any closer to Brian than that.”

“We were rebels. We were outcasts in a defiant way,” says Stash, who will take part in a Q&A at the film’s Los Angeles premiere on Sunday. “There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t in some way think of Brian. I have a connection to Brian because of the music, a great inspiration in the true sense of the word. We pioneered with our bizarre accouterments the way people can do and look anyway they want. It was hard to survive in the 1960s the way we looked. We were attacked by our own families … His own attorneys thought he was guilty. In those days, it was a class thing. They hated The Rolling Stones. They didn’t like that we were long-haired louts,” he says about the time Jones pled guilty to a drug charge even though he was innocent. Why would Jones do such a thing? “He thought he could atone in the eyes of his parents or something,” Stash muses.

Stash, 77, grows more reflective as he looks back on all the time that has passed. “I’m getting on it, as it were. So many friends have popped off left and right. As you get older, there’s fewer and fewer of the old friends left alive … I am determined to fight so many of the hideous urban legends about my friend,” he continues, referring in part to “that fairly ghastly film,” Stoned, director Stephen Woolley’s fictionalized 2005 drama about Jones. “It’s a bit of a cause for me. After I’m gone, there’ll be distortion.”

Stash, who was a major contributor to Michael Cooper’s recent photo book, Brian Jones: Butterfly in the Park, was more than just an occasional musical collaborator for Jones. “I was a rock star in my own right with Vince Taylor,” he says about his days playing with the influential but now overlooked late-’50s English rock singer. “I knew Anita [Pallenberg] very well. Anita was my girlfriend before she met Brian … She met the Stones through me,” when the Stones and Vince Taylor were billed together for several shows at the Olympia in Paris on Easter weekend in 1965.

“The circumstances of poor Brian’s death are shrouded in a kind of very sordid affair,” recalls Stash, who was in Rome when Jones died. He was saddened further when another good friend, actor Sharon Tate, was murdered just a month later. “It was a very odd and traumatic event. It was all due to those sinister louts, Thorogood and the builders. They were nasty pieces of work. They obviously resented Brian having all these advantages. [But] it was more manslaughter than murder,” he opines.

When did Stash first realize that Jones might have been murdered? “Relatively recently,” he says. “Within the last three years, I looked into it.” He describes the theory that The Rolling Stones benefited from Jones’ death as “absurd.” Does Stash believe Keylock’s claim that Thorogood confessed to him that he murdered Jones? “It’s not impossible. It sounds a bit self-serving. Your guess is as good as mine,” he answers. “Keylock was a weird person. He was not an unintelligent person. It seems bizarre. I know that Keylock made a sworn statement [about the confession]. He [Keylock] wasn’t the monster he was depicted to be. He was a very complicated personality. My theory is that he covered up due to this illicit relationship with his girlfriend [Lawson] … Keylock I knew very well. I can’t to this day see Keylock as the sinister figure they now paint him to be.”

With all the principal parties now dead, the idea of justice for Jones seems moot to Stash. “The great tragedy was the whole descent of Brian. It was very heartbreaking,” Stash says. “In 1969, Brian could no longer play.” There were occasional exceptions, such as Jones’ eloquent slide-guitar solo on “No Expectations,” but, in Stash’s mind, Jones “had a dying flame … Brian was the one who grew increasingly distrustful. He would say, ‘I think they’re too strong for us, the Establishment.’ … It’s very unfortunate that Brian succumbed.”

Stash worries that the film, with its focus on his death, might only give a negative impression about Jones’ life. He rails against previous portrayals “that painted my friend as a pathetic victim. He did tend to be arrogant in his demeanor. But he was a real star

Date: January 20, 2020 18:00

So Stash thinks he was a Rock star does he?
In that case we all were, sweetie.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 20, 2020 18:34

Where is that piece from, runaway?

It is great Stash is around and willing to share memories. Although much like Spanish Tony, you have to accept he's going to make himself share their limelight. The wealthy elitist poseur equating tambourine player for supporting acts with being a rock star seems a bit sad, but it's the story he's writing. Call it IN AND OUT WITH THE ROLLING STONES.

Best bit is "After I'm gone, there'll be distortion." Thanks for keeping everyone honest, your Majesty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-20 18:36 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: January 20, 2020 19:11

Rocky Dijon

"Brian, he's a cult figure". Can we define Brian as a cult figure? Cult is usually associated with a small but very active subculture of people who are fan.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 21, 2020 07:48

runaway
Rocky Dijon

"Brian, he's a cult figure". Can we define Brian as a cult figure? Cult is usually associated with a small but very active subculture of people who are fan.

Sounds just like Brian's fans. And I'm one of them. Few people know who he was. Few people appreciate him, or know of his accomplishments.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 21, 2020 12:21

>>Although much like Spanish Tony, you have to accept he's going to make himself share their limelight.

Same with Stanley Booth.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home