Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13
Re: New Documentary on the Death of Brian Jones
Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 14, 2019 10:51

ovalvox

First of all no cares about who you bedded. Why you have to add this has very little to do or add to the conversation. Let me just add some of Brian’s “small percentage” that you claim. He played guitar, harmonica or both on just about every track of the first three albums (British). How is that a small percentage? Some of those songs he shined on and dominated. To many to list here but I will add a few. Slide guitar Little Red Rooster. Tremolo guitar Mona. Lead guitar The Last Time. Brian completely dominates that song with his guitar part that he wrote. Harmonica Now I’ve Got a Witness. Then we get to Aftermath. Sparse? Even Oldham praised Brian Jones for his sparse contributions. Take Brian off of Aftermath and you might as well toss the album in the trash. Even on Beggars Banquet he played more than people think. His mellotron playing was astounding. Sparse might be your opinion but that certainly goes against what people really know or think. Brian stills gets knifed in the back to this very day. No Jones no Stones. How is that for a “footnote?”

Well, the girl in question was illustrative of the type of fan who gravitates towards Brian – flakey. I don’t think she had any appreciation for his astounding mellotron playing. Brian probably would’ve like her though but that’s neither here nor there…In all seriousness though, I like the songs you mention but they’re lightweight, relatively speaking, and while Brian’s contributions are good only the riff in The Last Time warrants mention IMO. While several (and I’m being generous here) of his contributions were sublime, in the bigger picture they’re dwarfed by the contributions of Mick and Keith. Perhaps you’re too emotional where Brian's concerned to accept that but if you zoom out you’ll see that he is indeed a footnote.

Date: August 14, 2019 10:54

Rockman
Did that Japanese girls name start with Y …… ??????????????

Possibly, a lot of them do. Can't say I remember though. I only had the pleasure once.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 14, 2019 14:20

His Majesty
Doxa
...so who really cares...grinning smiley

- Doxa

I care!

I started a little musical companion book recently, what he played, how he played it etc... slowly working on it, bit by bit.

But, there are times, like now, when I feel like I have just wasted years of my life on this stuff and that it's pointless trying to even get Brian's own fans to see what he actually did as a musician as opposed to what they want to believe he did.

The detractors will always want him to be seen as a nothing loser figure. Quite sad that many of his own fans would rather he forever be the victim.

All his personal stuff is really rather meaningless to anyone outside of those directly affected. It's the music that matters. But even that seems to be meaningless too, or atleast so easily put aside for some drink, drugs, violence, and death speak.

During some 'debate' about what Brian played someone recently told me to "shut the @#$%& up!".

Sound advice.

Phil - I'd love to see that book when you've finished. One question - how can you ever be sure of exact passages that Brian played? I mean his and keith's styles are different with Keith generally the more frenetic player and Brian playing the more measured solos. But there was weaving in the early years, especially when they were playing those r'n'b covers.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 14, 2019 17:14

Swayed1967
... if you zoom out you’ll see that he is indeed a footnote.

Nope.

Date: August 14, 2019 17:22

Swayed1967
... he hasn’t played on any Stones record since 1970.

Indeed, but this doesn't relegate Brian to being a footnote.

He was a founding and active contributing member for the majority of 1962 - 1969 and someone who played on the majority of the music recorded during that time.

Btw.

The stones equivalent of Pete Best is Tony Chapman.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-14 20:55 by His Majesty.

Date: August 14, 2019 17:33

Swayed1967
I like those songs very much. Brian made some sublime contributions.

50 years after he died and this is a view held by many. So, he's not a footnote at this point in time. Some what hidden and/or misunderstood, but not yet a footnote.

To project what ifs thousands of years ahead is just silly. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 14, 2019 21:28

Silver Dagger

Phil - I'd love to see that book when you've finished. One question - how can you ever be sure of exact passages that Brian played? I mean his and keith's styles are different with Keith generally the more frenetic player and Brian playing the more measured solos. But there was weaving in the early years, especially when they were playing those r'n'b covers.

Date: August 15, 2019 18:07

His Majesty
but this doesn't relegate Brian to being a footnote.

Nope, you're wrong.
Brian was expendable. The Stones went on to make better music without him. Expendable people are lucky to be footnotes.

Date: August 15, 2019 18:52

A random setlist from this tour. 10 out of 19 songs are from the Brian-era. I think the band treasure that era musically.

Street Fighting Man
Let's Spend The Night Together
Tumbling Dice
She's A Rainbow (vote song)
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Sweet Virginia (B-stage acoustic
)Dead Flowers (B-stage acoustic)
Sympathy For The Devil
Honky Tonk Women 
--- Band introductions
Slipping Away (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Miss You
Paint It Black
Midnight Rambler
Start Me Up
Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar 
--- Band off stage
Gimme Shelter
Satisfaction

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 15, 2019 19:00

Is their an airing date from Netflix yet?

Date: August 15, 2019 19:53

Swayed1967

Nope, you're wrong.
Brian was expendable. The Stones went on to make better music without him.

You're ignorant. Everyone is expendable. No they didn't.

grinning smiley

Date: August 16, 2019 10:51

His Majesty
Swayed1967

Nope, you're wrong.
Brian was expendable. The Stones went on to make better music without him.Expendable people are lucky to be footnotes.

You're ignorant. Everyone is expendable. No they didn't.

grinning smiley

Oh they didn’t? Ok, I finally realize the depth of your fanaticism (and feel foolish for not realizing it sooner). Best of luck with your little book.

Date: August 16, 2019 11:08

Swayed1967

Oh they didn’t? Ok, I finally realize the depth of your fanaticism (and feel foolish for not realizing it sooner). Best of luck with your little book.

They certainly continued making great music. Better? Well, that's just opinion innit?

I realised the depth of your ignorance early on. winking smiley

Date: August 16, 2019 11:46

His Majesty

I realised the depth of your ignorance early on. winking smiley

Of course you did. But then the fanatic always dismisses opinions that differ from his own as ignorant.

Date: August 16, 2019 12:22

Swayed1967

Of course you did. But then the fanatic always dismisses opinions that differ from his own as ignorant.

Not about opinion. Just your ignorance which you laid out quite clearly from the get go.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: August 16, 2019 12:48

Just a message of support for His Majesty. I think the little musical companion book is a truly great initiative. I play in a cover band myself. If you look for instance at the lick Brian played on the Last Time: many guitarists play it in a stripped down blues version, it sounds okay but isn't the real thing. But if you look at the real notes Brian came up with, it's such a gem. I say to Phil: battle on!

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 16, 2019 16:06

paulspendel
Just a message of support for His Majesty. I think the little musical companion book is a truly great initiative. I play in a cover band myself. If you look for instance at the lick Brian played on the Last Time: many guitarists play it in a stripped down blues version, it sounds okay but isn't the real thing. But if you look at the real notes Brian came up with, it's such a gem. I say to Phil: battle on!

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 16, 2019 17:18

*footnote : 7/19 songs from 50 years+ ago when Brian was a full member...

Date: August 16, 2019 17:21

shortfatfanny

*footnote : 7/19 songs from 50 years+ ago when Brian was a full member...

9 smiling smiley

Although he didn't play on three of the studio versions. On one of them he played live once, though.

Date: August 16, 2019 17:26

10 of those were recorded, minus a few overdubs, while he was still a member. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 16, 2019 18:06

His Majesty
10 of those were recorded, minus a few overdubs, while he was still a member. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

What's the tenth song, Honky Tonk Women?

Date: August 16, 2019 18:09

Yes, it is 1 of the 10.

Date: August 16, 2019 18:11

Then I had the other 9 right, surely smiling smiley

Date: August 16, 2019 18:15

He is not on 3 of the officially released versions of the songs recorded whilst he was still a member.

YCAGWYW
HTW
GS

Date: August 16, 2019 18:33

His Majesty
He is not on 3 of the officially released versions of the songs recorded whilst he was still a member.

YCAGWYW
HTW
GS

Yep, although he has played YCAGWYW live once.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 16, 2019 20:39

My take on Brian is that he was a genius musician with a concentration span too short to become proficient on any other instrument than harmonica. For me this means that what is interesting is his influence on the music of the Stones, as he pushed them into directions they would have never even thought of going. But as far as his actual musical contributions I find it of lesser interest as most I find mediocre at best. The ideas where fantastic, the execution so—so.

Mathijs

Date: August 16, 2019 20:49

Yeah, man, totally.

Mediocre example 1

Mediocre example 2

Mediocre example 3

grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-16 20:56 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 16, 2019 20:59

Excellent examples of what I mean. Great ideas, new and refreshing, angel dust on great tracks. But it doesn’t excite me from an execution point of view. It doesn’t make me want to grab the mellotron patches or the vibraphone and figure out what he plays, which I do want with stuff that Taylor, Wood and Richards play, and with Nicky Hopkins for example.

Of course my main interest is the guitar. And there I find Jones the least interesting. There really are just a couple of things he’s played that I find interesting. And that’s probably only his slide work.

Mathijs

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: August 16, 2019 20:59

My God, how can you call this mediocre is beyond me, the haunting melletron, the perfect pitch on the slide which is incredible hard to maintain, and all this coming from the same person.

Date: August 16, 2019 21:09

paulspendel
My God, how can you call this mediocre is beyond me, the haunting melletron, the perfect pitch on the slide which is incredible hard to maintain, and all this coming from the same person.

He's awful, a mere footnote that played kazoo and trombone on a few songs which he didn't write.

Get with the programme.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1242
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home