Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Books about The 69 tour and Altamont
Posted by: stonesR1 ()
Date: July 4, 2019 00:29

I have read Joel Selvin’s book Altamont (which I thought was fascinating)..... Any other good read suggestions about this particular show and time of their career?

Thanks

Re: Books about The 69 tour and Altamont
Date: July 4, 2019 01:13

Here's another recent title - "Just a Shot Away: Peace, Love, and Tragedy with the Rolling Stones at Altamont"
by Saul Austerlitz

I've read both and would read another title if there was one.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 4, 2019 01:20

You should read Stanley Booth's book. He was with them during 1969 US tour.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: July 4, 2019 02:01

Yes, Stanley Booth's "The true adventures of the Rolling Stones" is a very good book.

You have also the "Let it Bleed" book from Ethan Russell about the '69 tour and Altamont.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 02:10 by GJV.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: July 4, 2019 03:47

Ive probably read most of what other hardcore fans have read, and for my money, Joel Selvin’s book is hands-down the best documentation of Altamont.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 4, 2019 03:57

Mikal Gilmore is working on one covering that time frame. Not sure when it'll be out though but it should be a good one.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 5, 2019 00:31

Sam Cutlers autobiography is also excellent and he goes into great detail about how things went down at Altamont, before, during and after. Great book imo.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 5, 2019 15:03

I would second the Stanley Booth book. It's my favourite Stones book along with Life.

Date: July 5, 2019 15:52

The '69 books are all good. Don't forget the Ronnie Schneider book.

The first one I read on Altamont was one of my very first Stones books period, a yellow one in German called "Let it Bleed". At that point I only knew many of the Stones songs by title only. I had never even heard "Love in Vain", "Stray Cat Blues", "Little Queenie", all of those, yet. I remember how I literally shivered in anticipation; those were the greatest words I had ever seen.

I assumed I had read the Selvin book. Because I automatically got it. But by then I had read so many stones books that I obviously just filed it away. This thread made me re-visit it. He really did deep research. EXCELLENT book.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home