Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16
Re: Washington DC show 3-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 5, 2019 15:43

Testify
Can anyone tell me why Mercy Mercy is considered a tribute to Brian? It's not a song written by Brian, but it's a cover of Don Covay! If they wanted to pay tribute to Brian they would have done it with Paint it Black, which they played, or with other pieces of the time, not with a cover.

the link is that the last time they played it before the other night was hyde park 1969

Re: Washington DC show 3-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Ps37 ()
Date: July 5, 2019 15:55

maumau
Testify
Can anyone tell me why Mercy Mercy is considered a tribute to Brian? It's not a song written by Brian, but it's a cover of Don Covay! If they wanted to pay tribute to Brian they would have done it with Paint it Black, which they played, or with other pieces of the time, not with a cover.

the link is that the last time they played it before the other night was hyde park 1969
Jagger/Richards of course can do whatever they want, but why bother with a cryptic tribute? Would it have killed them or diminished them in any way just to simply say, "This one's for Brian"?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 5, 2019 16:36

Ps37

Jagger/Richards of course can do whatever they want, but why bother with a cryptic tribute? Would it have killed them or diminished them in any way just to simply say, "This one's for Brian"?

Indeed.

Posted by: Heart for Stones ()
Date: July 5, 2019 16:44

Ps37
Jagger/Richards of course can do whatever they want, but why bother with a cryptic tribute? Would it have killed them or diminished them in any way just to simply say, "This one's for Brian"?[/quote]

------------------------------------------
Absolutly they should.
For my 6 first Stones years Brian was my favorit.

All the Best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 16:45 by Heart for Stones.

Date: July 5, 2019 16:47

maumau
Testify

Indeed. And Brian also plays the main riff.

Date: July 5, 2019 16:52

DandelionPowderman
And Brian also plays the main riff.

smoking smiley Click the pic to open the Youtube link. smoking smiley

Date: July 5, 2019 16:56

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
And Brian also plays the main riff.

smoking smiley Click the pic to open the Youtube link. smoking smiley

Love Brian's dirty sound on that track thumbs up

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 5, 2019 17:00

It seems to me a little short to associate it with brian, in that concert I presume they have played many other songs. And then if they want to pay tribute to Brian they would say, what's the problem?

Date: July 5, 2019 18:05

Testify
... what's the problem?

Fan (some) expectation meeting reality.

Xsmiling bouncing smiley It's The Rolling Stones, they piss off everyone eventually. hot smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:13

i was simply stating the facts, if you ask me, it was not at all a tribute to brian and, knowing mick and keith "personas" I wouldn't expect something like "this is for brian"
and it is a pity.. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 18:13 by maumau.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:17

Its very sad and bad the Stones did not mention Brian i think. But..they , Mick n Keith, have enormous egos and dont give a flying @#$%&.
Jeroen

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:24

It does not make any sense to change a Stones show into some sort of a memorial service. Mick does never say anything about dates or anniversaries or people unless it very special.

Having said that, I would not say they are without emoutions and feelings for what is happening in the real world, just two examples:

San Jose 1999:
I was watching the sad news about the Columbine High school shootings all day on TV before I went to see the show. That show night Mick said it was a sad happening, don't remember his exact words.

Warzawa 2007:
They did not play "Sympathy For The Devil", because a tourist bus of retired Polish tourists had tragically crashed killing many in the alps just the day or so before, so Poland was grieving.

Bjornulf

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:25

ted by: runrudolph ()

Its very sad and bad the Stones did not mention Brian i think. But..they , Mick n Keith, have enormous egos and dont give a flying @#$%&.
Jeroen

Also at the rock and roll hall of fame induction - I do not recall MJ saying anything about Brian I could be wrong but I think Mick Taylor might of mentioned Brian.

Date: July 5, 2019 18:27

OpenG
ted by: runrudolph ()

Jeroen

Also at the rock and roll hall of fame induction - I do not recall MJ saying anything about Brian I could be wrong but I think Mick Taylor might of mentioned Brian.

Ronnie made some senseless comments..

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:29

bv
It does not make any sense to change a Stones show into some sort of a memorial service.
This

Date: July 5, 2019 18:31

runrudolph
Jeroen
I have no idea if this is the case, but if 77-year-old guys actually retain such rancor against a guy they've outlived by 50 years ( and counting) that they can't mention his name out of concern it might indicate acknowledgement he had something to do with the formation and success of the band, it would be somewhat pathetic.
Probably not the case though.smiling smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:33

I also thought about Brian at the show; in fact I shouted "Brian Jones"when they started MercyMercy.
They knew it was 50 years that day but how many people in that stadium knew who Brian Jones was? Probably the same # who also worry about very deep cuts
and the return of Mick Taylor?
Proportionally not too many so Mick does not factor it in.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Date: July 5, 2019 18:34

bv
It does not make any sense to change a Stones show into some sort of a memorial service. Mick does never say anything about dates or anniversaries or people unless it very special.

Ahem. A 50th anniversary might not be special, but it is something notable.

A quick 4 word sentence like "this one's for Brian" does not turn a concert in to a memorial service.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:34

I agree if “Mercy, Mercy” was meant as a tribute to Brian than they would have said so. Seems to me the song was more a tribute to their Hyde Park show from 69.
It does seem “odd” to mention the Hyde Park show without taking the moment to
mention the 50th anniversary of Brian’s passing.

Date: July 5, 2019 18:41

Question: if Bill Wyman would die today, would
Mick mentioned it at the Boston show?
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:42

swimtothemoon
I agree if “Mercy, Mercy” was meant as a tribute to Brian than they would have said so. Seems to me the song was more a tribute to their Hyde Park show from 69.

I agree.

Fact is, they could have and should have mentioned Brian (imo)...a simple "this one's for Brian" would have been classy and wouldn't have turned the show in to a "memorial service".
Then again, they've been known to overlook the past and attempt to rewrite history, so not really surprised no mention of Brian. It was a missed opportunity to show a little respect.

Date: July 5, 2019 18:43

swimtothemoon

A gig in a park 50 years ago, check. The 50th anniversary of the passing of one of the founders of the band, nope.

Nice.

It kind of takes more effort not to mention it. How could it not be on their minds?

Unless they are that cold of course.

The wee rascals. grinning smiley

Date: July 5, 2019 18:50

His Majesty
swimtothemoon

A gig in a park 50 years ago, check. The 50th anniversary of the passing of one of the founders of the band, nope.

Nice.

It kind of takes more effort not to mention it. How could it not be on their minds?

God forbid anyone in the audience might hear mention of Brian's name and come away thinking he might have had anything to do with the formation and success of the band.
Such a revelation might be detrimental to Jagger/Richards' bank accounts and/or prestige. No sense taking that risk.smiling smiley

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:51

mnewman505
bv
It does not make any sense to change a Stones show into some sort of a memorial service.
This

Mick doesn't look back.
Listen to hours of hours through his interviews, you will see: he is not comfortable with going back in the past. If the interviewer forces him to do he struggles and that startet from the early first rare interviews in the 60ies until today.
Mick looks forward, forward, forward. Move, move, move.
The next tour. The next project. The next new idea.
And the rest of the band is nearly the same.
That's why they are still there.
Yes - a picture of Brian wouldn't ruin the show.
The show up there is strong enough for this and it even would get more intense and deeper with a break like this.
But: Mick. Keith, Charlie and Ron hate to break.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:51

His Majesty
swimtothemoon

Nice.

It does seem odd but they were obviously no longer on good terms with Brian prior to his death and who knows just how bad it got between them? Still, it has been 50 years and just knowing how fans from back in the day felt about Brian, and what Brian contributed, could/should have been enough for them to actually talk the talk.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 5, 2019 18:55

steffialicia
His Majesty
swimtothemoon

Nice.

It does seem odd but they were obviously no longer on good terms with Brian prior to his death and who knows just how bad it got between them? Still, it has been 50 years and just knowing how fans from back in the day felt about Brian, and what Brian contributed, could/should have been enough for them to actually talk the talk.

Mick doesn't look back.
Listen to hours of hours through his interviews, you will see: he is not comfortable with going back in the past. If the interviewer forces him to do he struggles and that startet from the early first rare interviews in the 60ies until today.
Mick looks forward, forward, forward. Move, move, move.
The next tour. The next project. The next new idea.
And the rest of the band is nearly the same.
That's why they are still there.
Yes - a picture of Brian wouldn't ruin the show.
The show up there is strong enough for this and it even would get more intense and deeper with a break like this.
But: Mick. Keith, Charlie and Ron hate to break.

The Rolling Stones - Washington DC 3-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 5, 2019 19:00

Matt McClain/The Washington Post:

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 5, 2019 19:01

Heart for Stones
Ps37

------------------------------------------
Absolutly they should.
For my 6 first Stones years Brian was my favorit.

All the Best![/quote]

And you're one of probably very few posters on this board who actually saw Brian play with the Stones! 1 and a half shows wasn't it winking smiley ?

The Rolling Stones - Washington DC 3-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 5, 2019 19:01

Matt McClain/The Washington Post:

Date: July 5, 2019 19:16

40000 persons showed up for the show at Fedexfield.
It looked packed. Nice #.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home