Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 13 of 16
Re: Washington DC show 3-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 4, 2019 20:03

Really positive and passionate review from the Washington Post:
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Re: Washington DC show 3-July-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 4, 2019 20:15

MelBelli
Really positive and passionate review from the Washington Post:
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Says can't read it without a subscription. Anyone willing to copy and paste article? Thx!

Date: July 4, 2019 20:20

The Rolling Stones want to teach you how to live forever

The Rolling Stones — left to right: Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards — perform at Maryland’s FedEx Field on Wednesday. (Matt McClain/The Washington Post)

By Chris Richards
Pop music critic
July 4 at 12:33 PM
At the Rolling Stones concert, there’s something poetic about the heat index hitting 92 at dusk. But if you don’t believe in weather-as-divine-metaphor, just know that the 21st century was well underway at Maryland’s FedEx Field on Wednesday night, and this band sounded alive. Not “still alive” — a phrase that can feel patronizing and rah-rah — but totally alive, completely present, sweating out songs in real time, elegantly pushing rude noises into an unknowable future.

This wasn’t a band of survivors reenacting their once-greatness. This was the greatness.

What was happening up there? The Stones haven’t sounded this sharp, this tight, this spirited or this centered in more than a decade — and Mick Jagger having a piece of his heart surgically replaced just a few months ago probably has everything to do with it. Suddenly, a band that had spent the past 40 years refusing to die was reminded that its principals most certainly will. For the rest of us, the group’s invincibility myth seems to have finally collapsed under a more universal truth: the only reason life has meaning is because it ends.

Before all that, it had been wild watching our heroes grow old in their immortality. If 1989 marks the year that people officially began wondering whether their favorite rock group should have an expiration date, that means today’s Rolling Stones — Jagger, 75, Keith Richards, 75, Charlie Watts, 78, Ronnie Wood 72 — have been “old” for longer than they were “young.”

And while it’s been fun listening to fearless old men play the music of fearless young men, we’re past that now. To hear the Rolling Stones perform in 2019 is to hear a gang of sages share a profound knowledge of their own bodies, as well as a consummate awareness to one another’s. As musicians, they’re communicating on the highest frequencies. Instead of mental telepathy, it’s physical telepathy.

Just look at Jagger cut across that stage, strutting and smooth, like a rooster imitating a shark. On Wednesday night, he appeared ready to prance off into the void, but his feet were always tethered to whatever Watts was up to on the snare. And every time Jagger sang, it was like he was trying to push the entire world out of his mouth. There was no skimping, no corner-cutting — from the hungry shouts of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and “Satisfaction” to the ghostly falsettos of “Miss You” and “Gimme Shelter.” As for the rest of his body, it performed so much more than sexy air traffic control. He was leading by example in a nonverbal, nonstop way. Look, Jagger said with his swirling hips and punching fists, This is what music can do to you.

Watts acted as the band’s center of gravity, pushing and pulling on space-time in a way that gave the music its nastiness and its dignity. During “Midnight Rambler,” the rest of his body seemed to freeze whenever his left hand slapped down on the snare — as if this gesture needed the entirety of his attention, as if time itself might break apart were he to become a little too careless about it.

And that gave Richards tacit permission to be as careless as the moment demanded. As a guitarist, he’s unmatched when it comes to making something terribly wrong sound exactly right, and he did so many crude things to those delicate guitar strings, making his riffs sound like horn sections and crashing jets.

He and co-guitarist Wood spent the night practicing a style that Richards calls “weaving,” but during “Rocks Off” and “Sympathy for the Devil,” Wood was weaving with silk while Richards was using rebar. The only reason the tapestry held together was because everyone was locked in with Watts. In Richards’s 2010 memoir, “Life,” he traces all of his band’s deepest magic back to the human body, describing the genius of Watts as “something to do with the way Charlie’s limbs are constructed.”

So physical telepathy then. The drummer’s arms were speaking to the frontman’s feet and the guitarists’ fingertips, and it all sounded hyper-attentive, and ultra-vivid, and as real as real life. Maybe that was the message. Listening is living — and tonight, that’s what we were all here to do. Jagger didn’t mention his surgery. Nobody mentioned the fact that it was the 50th anniversary of the drowning of the band’s founding guitarist, Brian Jones. Death felt very far away.

At least until Richards elbowed his way into “Start Me Up,” a tune in which Jagger’s promise to “never stop” means something new each time he sings it. It used to be a song about living forever. Now it’s a song about living like you deserve to.

Posted by: glmmr_twn ()
Date: July 4, 2019 20:22

The Rolling Stones want to teach you how to live forever

By Chris Richards
July 4 at 12:33 PM

At the Rolling Stones concert, there’s something poetic about the heat index hitting 92 at dusk. But if you don’t believe in weather-as-divine-metaphor, just know that the 21st century was well underway at Maryland’s FedEx Field on Wednesday night, and this band sounded alive. Not “still alive” — a phrase that can feel patronizing and rah-rah — but totally alive, completely present, sweating out songs in real time, elegantly pushing rude noises into an unknowable future.

This wasn’t a band of survivors reenacting their once-greatness. This was the greatness.

What was happening up there? The Stones haven’t sounded this sharp, this tight, this spirited or this centered in more than a decade — and Mick Jagger having a piece of his heart surgically replaced just a few months ago probably has everything to do with it. Suddenly, a band that had spent the past 40 years refusing to die was reminded that its principals most certainly will. For the rest of us, the group’s invincibility myth seems to have finally collapsed under a more universal truth: the only reason life has meaning is because it ends.

Before all that, it had been wild watching our heroes grow old in their immortality. If 1989 marks the year that people officially began wondering whether their favorite rock group should have an expiration date, that means today’s Rolling Stones — Jagger, 75, Keith Richards, 75, Charlie Watts, 78, Ronnie Wood 72 — have been “old” for longer than they were “young.”

And while it’s been fun listening to fearless old men play the music of fearless young men, we’re past that now. To hear the Rolling Stones perform in 2019 is to hear a gang of sages share a profound knowledge of their own bodies, as well as a consummate awareness to one another’s. As musicians, they’re communicating on the highest frequencies. Instead of mental telepathy, it’s physical telepathy.

Just look at Jagger cut across that stage, strutting and smooth, like a rooster imitating a shark. On Wednesday night, he appeared ready to prance off into the void, but his feet were always tethered to whatever Watts was up to on the snare. And every time Jagger sang, it was like he was trying to push the entire world out of his mouth. There was no skimping, no corner-cutting — from the hungry shouts of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and “Satisfaction” to the ghostly falsettos of “Miss You” and “Gimme Shelter.” As for the rest of his body, it performed so much more than sexy air traffic control. He was leading by example in a nonverbal, nonstop way. Look, Jagger said with his swirling hips and punching fists, This is what music can do to you.

Watts acted as the band’s center of gravity, pushing and pulling on space-time in a way that gave the music its nastiness and its dignity. During “Midnight Rambler,” the rest of his body seemed to freeze whenever his left hand slapped down on the snare — as if this gesture needed the entirety of his attention, as if time itself might break apart were he to become a little too careless about it.

And that gave Richards tacit permission to be as careless as the moment demanded. As a guitarist, he’s unmatched when it comes to making something terribly wrong sound exactly right, and he did so many crude things to those delicate guitar strings, making his riffs sound like horn sections and crashing jets.

He and co-guitarist Wood spent the night practicing a style that Richards calls “weaving,” but during “Rocks Off” and “Sympathy for the Devil,” Wood was weaving with silk while Richards was using rebar. The only reason the tapestry held together was because everyone was locked in with Watts. In Richards’s 2010 memoir, “Life,” he traces all of his band’s deepest magic back to the human body, describing the genius of Watts as “something to do with the way Charlie’s limbs are constructed.”

So physical telepathy then. The drummer’s arms were speaking to the frontman’s feet and the guitarists’ fingertips, and it all sounded hyper-attentive, and ultra-vivid, and as real as real life. Maybe that was the message. Listening is living — and tonight, that’s what we were all here to do. Jagger didn’t mention his surgery. Nobody mentioned the fact that it was the 50th anniversary of the drowning of the band’s founding guitarist, Brian Jones. Death felt very far away.

At least until Richards elbowed his way into “Start Me Up,” a tune in which Jagger’s promise to “never stop” means something new each time he sings it. It used to be a song about living forever. Now it’s a song about living like you deserve to.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 4, 2019 20:24

Very nice, thank you. Mel. Different sorts of description of band members and the whole,
from what seems like a true fan.

~"Love is Strong"~

The Rolling Stones - Washington DC 3-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 4, 2019 20:27

Thanks for hopping the paywall, MelBelli. Only thing missing was the photo:

Matt McClain/The Washington Post

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Date: July 4, 2019 20:29

angee
Very nice, thank you. Mel. Different sorts of description of band members and the whole,
from what seems like a true fan.

CR is a very talented writer. More of a punk rock and hip-hip guy. For that reason, I think he appreciates the Stones for their rough edges.

Re: The Rolling Stones - Washington DC 3-July-2019
Date: July 4, 2019 20:30

bye bye johnny
Thanks for hopping the paywall, MelBelli. Only thing missing was the photo:

Matt McClain/The Washington Post

[www.washingtonpost.com]

The copy-and-paste didn’t carry the ads, so I quit while I was ahead!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 20:31 by MelBelli.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 4, 2019 20:44

Very good article by one of Keefs daughters, Chris.
Jeroen

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 4, 2019 20:44

oooh my God, should not have said that.Chris being a daughter is a secret.
Jeroen

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 4, 2019 20:48

wonderboy
Mercy, Mercy was a great tribute. Very fitting. We know what that means and saying, 'This one is for Brian' would have confused most of the audience.
When Brian died, they moved on. Indeed, they had already moved on. It wouldn't have done them any good to carry his name around for 50 years. Whether they talk about him when they are alone is something only they know, but that would be a private thing, which it should be.

No, it wouldnt ffs.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 4, 2019 21:15

Kremlinology again. They didn't say anything about Brian but we're supposed to decode it like that anyway...

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 4, 2019 21:19

"Jagger cut across that stage, strutting and smooth, like a rooster imitating a shark ......Watts acted as the band’s center of gravity, pushing and pulling on space-time in a way that gave the music its nastiness and its dignity .......Wood was weaving with silk while Richards was using rebar."

I like the way this guy from the Post writes, 'cept maybe Ronnie is more like leather than silk.

I was thrilled to be there for my first show of the US leg. Mercy Mercy was the first track on my first Stones album the US version of "OOOH" in 1965, and they nailed it. Good to be with my longtime Stones friends too. Love to all. See you again in Philly

HBK

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 4, 2019 21:24

Well, Keith is sober. Then the whole band feels safe. And the the music comes alive in a whole different way. The best Gimme Shelter - almost - ever. And Angie. Now I´m proud to be a fan. :-D

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 4, 2019 21:44

His Majesty
smileys with beer

We all need more mercy as we get older. Thanks Prince Jones approximately. Approximately enough/ to be real. [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 4, 2019 21:54

Bjorn
Well, Keith is sober. Then the whole band feels safe. And the the music comes alive in a whole different way. The best Gimme Shelter - almost - ever. And Angie. Now I´m proud to be a fan. :-D

What one man can do another man can do. From The Edge Movie Screen\play David Mamet.

The Rolling Stones - Washington DC 3-July-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 4, 2019 22:02

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 4, 2019 22:10

Been extremely busy and haven't seen last night yet; excited to do so.
thanksin advance for the great coverage as i quickly peruse.
walking over to see The Hollywood Stones in Venice, CA where I live, right now;
at noon July 4th. I saw some clips from ten years ago or so, and those players
were remarkable; the 'moves' and costumes and wigs and characters seemed like from
players who not only studied every tiny facet of everything like we do as committed absolute fans, but also had some very high quality musical capabilities I'd guess very easily 'studio' level ala Wachtel and etc....more inspired tho;
and purposely directly copying. it's about a mile away; i might give a listen.
then toinght; it's Stones D.C. happy 4th. my immigrant dad, rest his soul,
quit high school to fight in combat as a teenage than a young man.happy 4th.
thank you France.

---
i'd like to start a thread about july 4, 1972 which i attended;
or find a thread where such a post might be appropriate or appreciated.
many memories of the last leg of NA 72, MSG was better, for various reasons,
but D.C.was a tear. so was Stevie Exceptionally ON. that afternoon.
it was all done in day if i'm remembering correctly; or very much most of it.
i don't remember other than daylight, very close clear views.
And the plain standard platform type stages used those days, no frills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 22:14 by hopkins.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 4, 2019 22:28

Every musician needs to be connected to the heart. His mind and heart need to communicate. Alcohol kills the connection. Now the whole band is going in the right direction. It is as simple as that.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: July 4, 2019 22:43

Holy Schnikes, for the love of God they played Mercy, Mercy?!! Bless them all big and small. That one really needs to stay in the set list. Chicago would have jumped and shouted for that number. Rock on gentlemen.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 4, 2019 22:58

filstan
Holy Schnikes, for the love of God they played Mercy, Mercy?!! Bless them all big and small. That one really needs to stay in the set list. Chicago would have jumped and shouted for that number. Rock on gentlemen.

I'm ready should I run into one of them at the local Five & Dime to say "I'll buy you an extra large Slurpee if you play Mercy, Mercy at future shows!"

And thank you to those who copy/pasted the Post story for all to read smiling smiley

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: July 4, 2019 23:58

Mick always says something about the uniqueness of each city. How could he not mention the tanks? Tanks in D.C. are a very unusual occurrence. Keith said, laughing, "Thanks Washington, tanks and all".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 23:59 by chatoyancy.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 5, 2019 00:00

PaintitBlue
chatoyancy
Both Mick and Keith mentioned the tanks.

Curious what did they say?

Mick said "We couldn't help but notice the tanks." Keith then said "You're welcome!" smiling smiley

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: July 5, 2019 00:11

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!

source- Charlie's Granddaughter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 05:41 by Xam.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: July 5, 2019 00:54

I think Mick's introduction of Mercy Mercy as a song they last did at Hyde Park in 1969 was a touching tribute to Brian Jones. They haven't done such tributes to Ian Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, Bobby Keys, any other key members who died, as far as I know.

Mick and Keith weren't being disrespectful to Americans when they mentioned the tanks. They heard that the display violates the Hatch Act because Trump is using taxpayers money for his re-election campaign. Stones have a right to be disrespectful, he's still using Stones songs for his campaign,against their wishes.

Date: July 5, 2019 01:12

keithsman
Donkey Girl Scout
The least I'd like from each show is, play at least one song I've not seen. Did it the 14 times since 1989. 2015 just got one Shine a Light. I thought I wouldn't get one for this tour. But again they refuse to disappoint and played mercy mercy and Mick called out my home town Norfolk Va. For the first time I've ever heard that. Norfolk is in VA and 4 hrs away. Mick Jagger is the ultimate and first influence of the front man in rock and roll. I defy to line them ALl up and say Mick is not the best front and will not be beaten years after hes gone. Ok. I may be a little excited but seriously if you were there you cant help but feel it go thru you.

I'd like to thank BV for everything and more for this site. And thanks to the members. I've learned invaluable info over the last decade and help from this incredibly diverse community that the love of The Stones bring all together.

Thank you

Yes a big thank you to BV and it's members.

Mick created a fairly descent job of being a front man from his influences such as James brown and Tina etc etc etc .

As time went on he crafted his act, i'd say he became the performer he is today for many reasons, not because of his voice live ( because it's limited ) and not because he is the fittest showman, that doesn't make you the best performer in the world, that makes you the last man standing who remains fit enough to do the job.
What makes Mick the best front man is the same thing that makes Keith the best guitarist, it's the music Keith has written and the sound he makes, it's those riffs, those intros , that rhythm and the power they create that gives a canvas for Mick to dance to, it's the whole package, no one was interested in Mick the performer as a solo artist, he was a laughing stock even with all his history.
No , what makes Mick the best front man in the world is not his ability to cover the stage and clap and dance, its the music and sound that the Rolling Stones create that form the backdrop to the illusion of the best front man in the world. winking smiley[/quote

Yes keithsman you nailed what I meant. Sometimes I cant find the words to Express what I mean. But yes you got. Mick Jagger can play without the rest. But that's all it will be Mick sings The Stones. And that would be a massively different version. Thank you keithsman

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 5, 2019 01:20

Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 01:24 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: July 5, 2019 01:30

OMG I just watched a few videos from that show, I will attend some shows soon and I was just SOO surprised about Micks performance, 2018 saw him struggling with his voice during the last half of the set at a regular basis so I was really worried!

But just look at this 3-song featuring video and all your worries are blown away!!

[www.youtube.com]

How in the world was he able to improve like that?? I mean this is getting crazy, what an amazing performance!! If he keeps that pace (which he actually did during all of the first 4 shows!!!) this will be one of the greatest tours they ever did!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 5, 2019 01:55

Irix
timbernardis
Irix

Mercy Mercy - complete with Mick's comments:

[www.Periscope.tv] - Pos. 03:35 - 08:15 .

This link is to U Got Me Rockin, pls try again.

plexi

Pls read again: Position 03:35 - 08:15 .... smiling smiley

timbernardis

Is it Mercy, Mercy or Have Mercy?

plexi

It's: Mercy, Mercy - by the Stones released on the Album 'Out of Our Heads'.

Odd that the official setlist had it listed as Have Mercy.

plexi

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: July 5, 2019 02:23

Wow!

What a show last night! Mercy Mercy rocked... 50 years on! Would we have expected anything less?

I asked my 17-yr old daughter and her 18-yr old bf, after the show, if it looked like The Stones were enjoying themselves and having fun up there on stage? They both agreed and said yes!!

Had a great visit to DC, my first since I was a little kid more than 40 years ago... gotta visit when there's no gig to get to, but if they're still working, I need to prioritize.winking smiley

See you all in Foxborough...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 13 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home