Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Special/Uncommon Concert Venues
Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 3, 2019 18:32

El Ejido, Almería, Spain

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 18:36

Green Lady
Didnt know that had now been added to the "offensive" list - and I'm a native English speaker. But if it is, then it's best removed.

So am I. Seems bizarre. In UK English, where the language comes from, it is a 100% inoffensive word and a generally positive term. But seemingly not elsewhere. Noted.

Re: Exotic/Uncommon Concert Venues
Posted by: spunky ()
Date: July 3, 2019 18:57

mrfancyman
Shows I have attended:

2003: Cirkus Theather, Stockholm
2003: Vredenburg, Utrecht (does not exist anymore)
2014: Waldbuhne, Berlin

Mr.Fancyman
Vredenburg does still exist: [www.tivolivredenburg.nl]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 3, 2019 19:02

What about this one a few years ago in New York City. smiling smiley
I wonder if any of those flyers that were thrown out to the crowd still exist ?

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 15:57 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 3, 2019 21:30

angee
(Exotic is offensive? What am I missing?)

I’m with you , how has this word been added to the PC list.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 3, 2019 22:53

This is why, apparently. It's a US thing at the moment, but I expect it will spread so we had better all remove it from the vocabulary we use to describe interesting foreign locations. I'd have thought it was only offensive when applied to people.

[www.thelamron.com]

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 3, 2019 23:04

Green Lady
This is why, apparently. It's a US thing at the moment, but I expect it will spread so we had better all remove it from the vocabulary we use to describe interesting foreign locations. I'd have thought it was only offensive when applied to people.

[www.thelamron.com]

Nothing much but more PC nonsense for the Professionally Insulted to complain about.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 23:57 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 3, 2019 23:17

Green Lady

[www.thelamron.com]

The world has be come or will be crazy...................I will react on my previous ironically post shortly......

And I love to see your list Green Lady...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 23:18 by NICOS.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: July 3, 2019 23:55

Well thanks for sorting that one out for us Green Lady. It can get tricky when our US friends use a word differently to us Brits and the meaning changes. It reminds me of when I was told about my Desert Trip tix, I said I was completely 'nonplussed', meaning I was amazed, stunned, speechless........but this seemed to upset the much younger English and Danish couple who booked the tix .......they only knew the American meaning, which apparently is, 'disinterested', or 'couldn't care less', ie more or less opposite of what I meant!

Which brings me back On Topic - most special concert venue definitely Desert Trip. Such beautiful Palm trees and sunsets!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 23:57 by ycagwywpmd.

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: July 4, 2019 00:14

Green Lady

[www.thelamron.com]

This is getting way out of hand... I wish people would see wellmeaning instead of offense for a change!

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: July 4, 2019 00:24

And don't get me started on "momentarily" or "deplane"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 00:25 by exhpart.

Date: July 4, 2019 00:28

The language is called English. It is called English because it was invented in England, where it is still spoken. So for those of us who speak the original definitive U.K. version, are we to walk on eggshells because somewhere else that’s adopted the language has changed the meaning of our words from being innocuous to offensive instead? It seems so!

It seems to me that there is a growing army of pc obsessed people around the World who male it their business to be offended and worse still, take offence on behalf of others, who will often not be offended themselves. Oh, I give up confused smiley

Back on topic, the Stones have played many parks and open spaces in their career, in places where live music is restricted to s few occasions a year or even a one off such as the Stadtpark in Hamburg, 2 years ago. The list is long. Even Knebworth deserves a mention because it’s not exactly a regular music venue.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 4, 2019 03:50

Hyde Park, London x 2!

Date: July 4, 2019 03:56

Quique-stone
Hyde Park, London x 2!

Hyde Park has hosted the British Summertime Festival lasting 2 weeks in late June/early July every year for many years now and the Stones’ 2013 appearances were a part of that so not sure you can include it.

You can definitely include Hyde Park 1969 though thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 4, 2019 04:13

Most special or unique venues I've had the pleasure would be the Polo Grounds of Desert Trip, followed by the historic Plains of Abraham in Quebec City.

In terms of loving the area though, Twickenham wins for me.. so much of their history and roots nearby.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 4, 2019 04:38

As far as exotic locales it doesn't get much more exotic than Hawaii, and for a special/uncommon venue that would have to be the private show for Pepsi at the Hilton Waikaloa Village Resort on the Big Island in January 1998.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 07:39 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 4, 2019 07:00

angee
(Exotic is offensive? What am I missing?)

You and me. Offensive how? It's a common word (adjective) in every legitimate dictionary in the world, so where is the problem?

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 4, 2019 08:09

grzegorz67
Quique-stone
Hyde Park, London x 2!

Hyde Park has hosted the British Summertime Festival lasting 2 weeks in late June/early July every year for many years now and the Stones’ 2013 appearances were a part of that so not sure you can include it.

You can definitely include Hyde Park 1969 though thumbs up

Agree 100%!

Posted by: exil ()
Date: July 4, 2019 08:51

Western Springs Speedway Auckland nz.

Date: July 4, 2019 09:04

Julliard
The Flatbed truck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 09:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: exil ()
Date: July 4, 2019 09:18

In A Tent.Rock N Roll Circus.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 4, 2019 10:27

Green Lady
Big Al
The performance they gave facing the River Thames, with the audience stood behind them. That has to be one of the most unique. There are photos documenting the event.

When was that?

One of their very early performances took place in Battersea Park, with a pool between them and the audience. And while we're thinking of unusual venues, how about a tumbledown wreck of a hotel on a little island in the Thames, where they had to carry all their gear over a footbridge?

Hi, Green Lady. I suspect it’s one of the two show’s you’ve mentioned there. There’s a picture in Bill’s Rolling With The Stones book, if I recollect correctly.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 4, 2019 10:29

‘Exotic’ is an offensive term? Whatever the context; it isn’t. Bore-off, PC Brigade.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: July 4, 2019 11:14

2003 - Oberhausen, O.Vision Zukunftspark (with: AC/DC)
2006 - Zürich, Dubendorf Airfield
2007 - Nijmegen, Goffertpark
2014 - Werchter, TW CLassic 2014
2018 - Praha, Letiste Letnany Airfield

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 21:39 by satisfaction2.

Date: July 4, 2019 13:21

DandelionPowderman
Julliard
The Flatbed truck

We have a winner thumbs up

5th Avenue, Manhattan, running down the East side of Central Park, which got a visit from me just 3 weeks ago.

I believe they had plans to play a couple of songs in Sloane Square opposite the Exhibitionism site to launch it in 2016 but some local prudes objected. The band were gig ready too, having just completed Ole Ole. But even if it had gone ahead, I still think the 5th Avenue Flatbed truck would be the winner winking smiley

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: July 4, 2019 15:06

Circus Maximus, Rome 2014.
What a night that was!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 4, 2019 21:43

I don't think anything can top Spinal Tap playing the "base" which turned out to be the army base! Radio interference causing Nigel to slam his guitar down and walk out on the band. smiling smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 4, 2019 22:49

TDive25
Circus Maximus, Rome 2014.
What a night that was!

Yes it was and it’s a very special place

Nate

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: July 5, 2019 00:13

Green Lady

[www.thelamron.com]

The article does include the following clarification:

"The word “exotic” is correct when referencing inanimate life forms but its use in describing other humans is objectifying."

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 5, 2019 00:34

xke38
Green Lady

[www.thelamron.com]

The article does include the following clarification:

"The word “exotic” is correct when referencing inanimate life forms but its use in describing other humans is objectifying."

Yes, but the title of this thread was changed to remove the allegedly "offensive" word when it was being legitimately used to describe an inanimate concert venue. I'm not disputing bv's decision, since somebody clearly found it offensive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-05 00:36 by Green Lady.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home