Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chicago and Soldier Field - number of shows
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 1, 2019 19:07

I have this in my CHICAGO-2 report:

"Mick said this was the 9th show at Soldier Field, and the 39th in total in Chicago..."

The above is based on notes I made during the show. Also, I made a note of Mick saying "38 shows in Chicago" during CHI-1, and also I do believe he said "8 shows at Soldier Field...

Then I have been contacted by a fan saying Mick said "10th" show at Soldier Field" during the 2nd CHI show.

Anyone with better memory than me? And what's the exact and accurate numbers, I did never get time to check with my files so far.

PS. This thread will me merged with the CHI-2 live thread eventually.

Bjornulf

Re: Chicago and Soldier Field - number of shows
Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: July 1, 2019 19:17

He did say 8/9 and 38/39 at the shows. No clue on the accuracy of those statements.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 1, 2019 19:20

According to Setlsit FM, he is correct on both SF and Chicago in general.

In '89 The Steel Wheels tour did 3 nights at Alpine Valley, WI (Hop skip and a jump from Chicago) instead of actual Chicago which is a bit odd.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 1, 2019 19:52

TumblinDice76

In '89 The Steel Wheels tour did 3 nights at Alpine Valley, WI (Hop skip and a jump from Chicago) instead of actual Chicago which is a bit odd.

NFL.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 1, 2019 19:52

Madcap is correct, he said 8/9 and 38/39. He did not say 10 ever.

Date: July 1, 2019 19:54

Rbk-makes sense!

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: July 1, 2019 22:12

TumblinDice76

I still recall that dark and rainy night at freeking Alpine Valley... that place is huge... and parking in the swamp. But it was still fun!

Chicago is so lucky with the Stones. It is crazy how many shows they have gotten. Spoiled rotten! If I lived in Chicago my life time Stones show count would be almost double. Just going 5 minutes to see so many shows... And when I consider how I could not talk either of my 2 people in Chicago of going to the recent show opener.... Grrrrrr.... They said they had been there done that and were tired of it. I drove in and out without even stopping to see those ingrates.

As far as the question, as was said, Setlist FM is probably the best source to check the info.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-01 22:12 by Xam.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 1, 2019 22:39

bv
I have this in my CHICAGO-2 report:

"Mick said this was the 9th show at Soldier Field, and the 39th in total in Chicago..."

The above is based on notes I made during the show. Also, I made a note of Mick saying "38 shows in Chicago" during CHI-1, and also I do believe he said "8 shows at Soldier Field...

Then I have been contacted by a fan saying Mick said "10th" show at Soldier Field" during the 2nd CHI show.

Anyone with better memory than me? And what's the exact and accurate numbers, I did never get time to check with my files so far.

Nico's site is always a great resource - [www.nzentgraf.de]

Date: July 1, 2019 22:58

Xam-What I always found fascinating by looking at old setlists is how different the '65 and '66 Chicago shows were. The music definitely changed a lot on Aftermath.

As far as Chicago being spoiled, before sites like Setlsit FM existed, I had no idea in '97 how lucky we were to get: 19th Nervous Breakdown, Ruby Tuesday, Little Queenie, The Last Time, and Let it Bleed all in the same show. Spoiled indeed!

Sway, Sister Morphine, She's a Rainbow, She was Hot, Monkey Man and many more have made appearances in Chicago.

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: July 2, 2019 02:27

TumblinDice76
Xam-What I always found fascinating by looking at old setlists is how different the '65 and '66 Chicago shows were. The music definitely changed a lot on Aftermath.

As far as Chicago being spoiled, before sites like Setlsit FM existed, I had no idea in '97 how lucky we were to get: 19th Nervous Breakdown, Ruby Tuesday, Little Queenie, The Last Time, and Let it Bleed all in the same show. Spoiled indeed!

Sway, Sister Morphine, She's a Rainbow, She was Hot, Monkey Man and many more have made appearances in Chicago.

I have seen them more in Chicago than where I live, including 2 tour openers now.

Chicago is Stones fortunate, that is for sure. And indeed they play a lot of good songs there... I have found the best way to not worry too much about set lists is go see them tour after tour after tour. Eventually they will play every song one desires, except "The Lantern". When I finally got "Sway", after chasing it show after show after show, I closed my book on songs wants... now it is all gravy.

I may forget someday (prolly not) but until I do, my "acquaintances" (used to consider them friends) in Chicago will get heckled mercilessly for wimping out on June 21 (and/or June 25) 2019. When The Stones are playing 10 minutes down the street, one better have a DAMNED GOOD reason (being dead might qualify) for skipping the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-02 02:29 by Xam.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 2, 2019 03:13

1978 SOME GIRLS tour was their first show at Soldier Field.

1994 VOODOO LOUNGE tour was their second and third shows.

1997 BRIDGES TO BABYLON tour was their fourth and fifth shows.

2005 A BIGGER BANG tour was their sixth show.

2006 A BIGGER BANG tour was their seventh show.

2019 NO FILTER tour was their eighth and ninth show.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 2, 2019 06:01

78 was great. 2006 was horribly brutal

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: July 2, 2019 15:03

soldierfield.net confirms 9.

Date: July 2, 2019 17:19

Xam
TumblinDice76

I have seen them more in Chicago than where I live, including 2 tour openers now.

Chicago is Stones fortunate, that is for sure. And indeed they play a lot of good songs there... I have found the best way to not worry too much about set lists is go see them tour after tour after tour. Eventually they will play every song one desires, except "The Lantern". When I finally got "Sway", after chasing it show after show after show, I closed my book on songs wants... now it is all gravy.

I may forget someday (prolly not) but until I do, my "acquaintances" (used to consider them friends) in Chicago will get heckled mercilessly for wimping out on June 21 (and/or June 25) 2019. When The Stones are playing 10 minutes down the street, one better have a DAMNED GOOD reason (being dead might qualify) for skipping the show.

Amen! In my 22 shows since '89, I've only seen them twice in the city I was living in at the time. I drove down from Milwaukee for both the recent shows at Soldier Field. It took me 4 hours both nights with traffic (only 2 hours getting home), but so worth it. I also saw the two shows at Solider in '97 and the freezing show in '06. Never been a better reason to drive to a show.

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: July 2, 2019 18:44

In 1981 we had 3 shows at the Rosemont Horizon and 1 show in Rockford Illinois close enough to the city.The only Chicago appearance was at The Checkerboard Lounge.I wonder if these are part of the count.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 2, 2019 18:47

Xam
TumblinDice76

It all depends on people's individual preferences. I generally prefer to see them abroad and combine it with a holiday. I'm a Scot living in England (80 miles West of London) and I didn't see 1 single show anywhere in England in the noughties but still saw 7 Stones shows that decade - 5 Licks & 2 ABB. I did see shows in Scotland & Wales though. This decade, I've only missed 2 UK shows - London 2 2012 and Glastonbury 2013. I attended all the rest.

I've never had the opportunity to see them literally on my doorstep.

Date: July 2, 2019 18:55

Thegroove-No, none of those are included in the count just like the 3 Alpine shows are not included in the count. I forgot about Rockford in '81! The Cherboard Lounge show was actually a Muddy Water's show that Mick, Keith, and Ronnie were guests. Checkout Setlsit FM and type "Rolling Stones Chicago" and it will give you the count that matches what Jagger stated.

Date: July 2, 2019 19:09

TumblinDice76
Thegroove-No, none of those are included in the count just like the 3 Alpine shows are not included in the count. I forgot about Rockford in '81! The Cherboard Lounge show was actually a Muddy Water's show that Mick, Keith, and Ronnie were guests. Checkout Setlsit FM and type "Rolling Stones Chicago" and it will give you the count that matches what Jagger stated.

Yes, in fact the Rosemont Horizon shows are or should be included and considered in the count...the count of 39 Chicago shows.....those are Chicago shows. Alpine Valley and Rockford are not.

UPDATE: In fact, upon checking Setlist.FM, Rosemont shows are properly included.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-02 19:15 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 2, 2019 19:42

A bit of trivia in which I do not know the answer.

Which US city has had the most Stones shows?

Date: July 2, 2019 19:45

NY. NY smokes Chicago in all time count.

Date: July 2, 2019 22:55

Los Angeles count is 48 as of now.
New York Pulls the whole state but just glancing it looks like they played a ton of shows there in 64-66 so New York for the win but I don't have an exact count.
I'll let the NY natives determine what is considered a "New York Show".

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 02:21

Worldwide, it surely has to be their home city of London.

Posted by: Sockers56 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 02:35

When I was the 2nd Chicago show, a lady next to me insisted the Stones played Wrigley Field. I can't find any reference to Wrigley Field. Can Anybody verify this?

Date: July 3, 2019 03:08

No Wrigley for the Stones. First concert at Wrigley post 1960s was Jimmy Buffett in 2005. Before that Wrigleyville ordinance wouldn't allow it. Keep in mind the Cubs didnt even get lights until 88/89. Before that they only played day games. For folks not from IL thatbis why in Ferris Beuler's(sp?)day off they go to a Cubs game. If you went to a weekday Cubs game you were either skipping work or school to go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1485
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home