Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Brian Jones passing 50th anniversary
Posted by: JDSAM1994 ()
Date: July 2, 2019 21:06

It doesn’t matter to me if the Brian acknowledgement doesn’t resonate with the majority of the crowd. Us the real fans appreciate his importance. They did mercy mercy twice at the first Chicago rehearsal (I was there) it would be a special moment if they did that or no expectations.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 2, 2019 21:21

JDSAM1994
It doesn’t matter to me if the Brian acknowledgement doesn’t resonate with the majority of the crowd. Us the real fans appreciate his importance. They did mercy mercy twice at the first Chicago rehearsal (I was there) it would be a special moment if they did that or no expectations.

Either of those! Still considering a 790 mile roadtrip tonight from Muscle Shoals on off chance they'll pay either.. Would be totally worth it, though probably arrive dusted (at my age), have to sleep in car (at parking prices I guess my car could be considered a hotel), and turn right around again.. But then again us "rubes" as someone so eloquently put it would do such a thing to hear Mercy or No Expectations

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-02 21:22 by snoopy2.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: July 2, 2019 21:41

JDSAM1994

If I’m not mistaken, an unknown Jimi Hendrix played on the original version. So even if mentioning Brian or Don Covay doesn’t resonate with the crowd, mentioning Jimi Hendrix should get a reaction.

Everything is teed up nicely for them to play it...they just need to pull the trigger. And of course play it well, which I have no doubt they would smiling smiley

- Cam

Re: Brian Jones 50th Anniversary July 3rd 2019
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 2, 2019 22:40

The more I think about it...…………..the more I wish a tribute to Brian will happen.
I also feel that there will be a tribute of some sort to Brian at the gig,and gotta leave it to Mick ,Keith, Charlie and Ronnie to work it out. thumbs up

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 2, 2019 22:43

hope he does get a mention

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 2, 2019 22:53

July 3rd is a very sad day in the history of the Rolling Stones, one year ago, 50 years ago, it won't change.
I would prefer they'd mention that it was in the first week of July that they became a real band: the Rollin' Stones ... with reference to Brian. Only, 57 years is not really a "good number" confused smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 01:01

paulywaul
crawdaddy
I would be pleasantly surprised if Mick does mention Brian Jones at the gig on Wednesday.
I will be even more pleasantly surprised if they played No Expectations or any other 'Brians Song' .

My good feelings about our four lads in the band will definitely go up a notch if it did happen. thumbs up

Difficult to imagine how they could integrate a mention of Brian into tomorrow's show without it (unfortunately) being entirely lost on most of the audience, a great many of whom in all probability would simply stare at one another and say "who's Mick talking about" ? But I agree with you, it would indeed be nice to hear one such mention ... 50 years is a f***ing long time and one big 'anniversary' !

It is very important to remind casual fans of the absolutely crucial vital role Brian played in forming them and driving their initial ascent to fame. It was 1965 before Mick and Keith could write songs (and even that was under duress initially!) and until that time the band were very reliant on Brian’s musicianship and knowledge of obscure and little known blues gems which they rearranged and made their own.

Even my dad, born 6 months before Brian questioned his relevance! And he’s the reason I became a fan with his ceaseless playing of the mid 60s singles from Rolled Gold when I was growing up.

In fairness Brian’s had a mention on his birthday on the Stones’ Social Media In recent Times so I’m tentatively hopeful of a mention in Washington.

If Mick and Keith hadn’t met Brian, I wonder what might have happened to them all? Charlie would have carried on as a Graphic Designer and he was very good at it by all accounts. I recently heard a 2nd hand account origInating from one of his old bosses that strenuous efforts were made to dissuade him from jacking it all in and joining the Stones full time.

Mick and Keith would certainly have had a few good years of playing clubs but I can imagine longer term Mick returning to study and becoming an Accountant or Civil Servant and living in Kent Suburbia and Keith being a tradesman of some sort. Bill would have done fine at something I’m sure.

What a waste that would have been!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 3, 2019 09:03

grzegorz67
paulywaul
crawdaddy
I would be pleasantly surprised if Mick does mention Brian Jones at the gig on Wednesday.
I will be even more pleasantly surprised if they played No Expectations or any other 'Brians Song' .

My good feelings about our four lads in the band will definitely go up a notch if it did happen. thumbs up

Difficult to imagine how they could integrate a mention of Brian into tomorrow's show without it (unfortunately) being entirely lost on most of the audience, a great many of whom in all probability would simply stare at one another and say "who's Mick talking about" ? But I agree with you, it would indeed be nice to hear one such mention ... 50 years is a f***ing long time and one big 'anniversary' !

It is very important to remind casual fans of the absolutely crucial vital role Brian played in forming them and driving their initial ascent to fame.

Oh, please, those 'rubes' still paying big bucks to hear and old band play their young music, slower? The last Stones concert I will probably attend was 2013 in Los Angeles. The crowd had no idea who Mick Taylor was when he played on Midnight Rambler. They could care less about Brian Jones. You think those that listen to Dark Side of the Moon know who the hell Syd Barrett was?

The deep fans know about Brian, Bill, Stu, Nicky, Billy, and Bobby. The deeper know about Jack Nitzsche, Alex, Giorgio. But the average concert goer just wants Tumblin'DevilFlash shoved down their throat. And that's fine. The golden era is long, long past. Long live the Rolling Stones, what's left of them, and whoever has that much extra cash to blow to go see them. The rest of us will silently wait for Knebworth, or Atlantic City '89, or whatever they've got in the vault.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 3, 2019 12:50

In remembrance of Brian Jones:

"Peace, peace! he is not dead, he doth not sleep,
He hath awaken'd from the dream of life;
'Tis we, who lost in stormy visions, keep
With phantoms an unprofitable strife,
And in mad trance, strike with our spirit's knife
Invulnerable nothings. We decay
Like corpses in a charnel; fear and grief
Convulse us and consume us day by day,
And cold hopes swarm like worms within our living clay.

The One remains, the many change and pass;
Heaven's light forever shines, Earth's shadows fly;
Life, like a dome of many-colour'd glass,
Stains the white radiance of Eternity,
Until Death tramples it to fragments.—Die,
If thou wouldst be with that which thou dost seek!
Follow where all is fled!"

-- Percy Bysshe Shelley -- Adonais (parts XXXIX + LII)

Cheltenham Cemetery - [www.Flickr.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 3, 2019 13:07

CamRS
JDSAM1994

If I’m not mistaken, an unknown Jimi Hendrix played on the original version. So even if mentioning Brian or Don Covay doesn’t resonate with the crowd, mentioning Jimi Hendrix should get a reaction.

Everything is teed up nicely for them to play it...they just need to pull the trigger. And of course play it well, which I have no doubt they would smiling smiley

- Cam

thumbs up

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 3, 2019 14:07

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 14:38

RIP Brian, pure genius.

Glorious years with Mick Taylor knew how to honor, fully, the heritage.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 3, 2019 15:26

Thanks to Brian Jones for starting the Rollin' Stones; there is no doubt that at the beginning his contribution was essential to the band. The beginning of anything has to struggle for recognition because we tend to value the present more than the past which is understandable.
Brian Jones should be remembered and celebrated.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: July 3, 2019 15:34

Der Tote im Pool

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 15:34 by MAF.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 3, 2019 15:40

RobertJohnson

[www.spiegel.de]

Translation mainly by [www.DeepL.com] :

Rolling-Stones-Founder Brian Jones

The Dead in the Pool

He was the head and bad boy of the Stones. 50 years ago guitarist Brian Jones drowned under mysterious circumstances in his country house. Only 25 days earlier the band had fired the aimlessly wandering genius.

Michael Sontheimer · Wednesday, 03.07.2019, 11:45am

He was at the bottom of the pool. Motionless. When a friend saw him, she ran back into the house screaming for help. The creepy scene was bathed in floodlight shortly before midnight on July 2, 1969. A nurse tried to revive Brian Jones - in vain. The founder of the Rolling Stones was dead. Ruined by fame. The tabloid "Daily Mirror" appeared with the headline: "Drinks and Drugs Killed Brian Jones". He was only 27 years old.

Brian Jones was born on 28 February 1942 as the son of an aircraft engineer and a piano teacher in the small town of Cheltenham in south-west England. He grew up in prosperity and quickly became an outsider at a private school because he wasn't a good athlete due to asthma. His mother, an enthusiastic musician and singer, gave him a clarinet because of his health problems.

Soon music interested him more than anything else, first Jazz, then Rock'n'Roll and Blues. After the music the girls came. Jones was only 15 when he impregnated a student for the first time. The affair was kept secret, the child was given up for adoption. Also during the next pregnancy the parents behaved the same as the British journalist Paul Trynka writes in his strong book "Sympathy For The Devil".

"As for women," says London writer Barry Miles about Jones, "he had a terrible attitude. But that wasn't unusual at the time." The small-town macho started playing slide guitar, inspired by US-Blues-musician Elmore James, was in several bands and sessions, discovered the Blues-guitarist Robert Johnson, who had died in 1938 at the age of 27 and became his role model.

Jones began an apprenticeship as an optician, soon broke it off and worked as a garbage man. Finally, he moved to where the music played: to London. In the spring of 1962 he appeared at the Ealing Jazz Club, opened by musician Alexis Korner in West London. Korner was the son of a Jewish Austrian officer and a Greek woman, he became the father of white Blues. He was joined by musicians like Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce.

The Bad Boy was the boss of the band

At the Club, which had a maximum capacity of 200 people, Jones met a drummer named Charlie Watts. In April 1962, Korner introduced him to two young men: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards from Dartford were just as crazy about Blues as Brian Jones.

"Brian was then, musically speaking, the head of the group," Alexis Korner later said according to the book "The Rolling Stones", a portrait of Hans-Ulrich Prost and Gerd Röckl. The young musicians practiced like crazy covers of Blues-classics and dreamed of being able to live from their music. The first appearance was a disaster, only two paying guests came, but hooligans from the neighbourhood threw the house, so that the noise was over.

When Bill Wyman joined the band as bassist in early 1963, the band was complete. Jones named it Rolling Stones after a song by black Blues-musician Muddy Waters: "Rollin' Stone".

"He seemed unbalanced, dissatisfied with himself and the world and could be warm one moment, disgusting and brutal the next," said Alexis Korner about Jones, "once he even wanted to beat up the owner of a club where we played. In the spring of 1963, according to Korner, "a career began that only a few people can make and cope with."

In the middle of 1963 the first Stones-Single "Come on" was released, the song for the second one was donated by John Lennon and Paul McCartney of the Beatles to their colleagues who had not yet written their own numbers: "I Wanna Be Your Man". The Stones had their first number-1-hit with "It's All Over Now" in July 1964.

Brian Jones saw himself as the boss of the band and he was. The boy with the blond mane and the pageboy cut looked best. Mick Jagger was jealous because Jones had more success with the groupies. An evil genius. And for the Stones it was easy to succeed as a citizen fright. Sometimes they didn't get lunch in Bristol because they didn't wear ties, sometimes the chairman of the Association of British Hairdressers demanded a forced cut for the long-haired.

Sex and Drugs and Rock'n'Roll

At the concerts, rows of girls fainted, boys rioted. When the Stones played in West Berlin, fans dismantled the Waldbühne. In August 1965 the single "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" was released, a hymn for the rebellious youth of the sixties. Now the Stones were stars and became millionaires in a short time.

The German-Italian model Anita Pallenberg accompanied Brian Jones to his hotel room after a concert in Munich and became his glamorous companion. They took drugs, more and more, first Cannabis, then a lot of LSD. Alcohol was there anyway. At a photo shoot of the couple Jones wore an SS uniform with swastika armband.

Musically, Brian was initially the most talented and versatile of the band. He constantly searched and found new sounds and instruments, which he learned to play in a very short time: marimba, recorder, sitar, harpsichord, zither and harp.

Drummer Charlie Watts said in the documentary "Crossfire Hurricane" from 2012: "I always felt a little bit sorry for him. He wasn't very nice, not very kind." Jones was morbidly jealous, quarreled more and more with Anita, broke a finger in a fight with her and couldn't play an instrument for two months. Pallenberg ran over to Keith Richards, with whom she later had three children; meanwhile Mick Jagger had a passionate affair with Marianne Faithfull, the stunning supergroupie from London.

Jones slowly disappeared from the spotlight and the world of the Rolling Stones, and Jagger and Richards took the lead. Jones appeared less and less at rehearsals and recordings; when he came he was drugged with drugs of all kinds. The others tried to integrate him. Jones, however, saw himself as a blues man who found the band's music too commercial.

Death shortly after the expulsion

Sometimes there was nothing to eat in the fridge of his London apartment, all the more liquid methamphetamines. Jones had paranoid episodes and feared the Stones management would kill him. Eventually he ended up in a rehab clinic. He was also sentenced to one year in prison for tolerating the use of Cannabis in his apartment.

In November 1968, he bought Cotchford Farm in Hartfield, south of London. It had once belonged to Alan Alexander Milne, author of the famous Winnnie-the-Pooh books. On June 8, 1969, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts went there to inform Brian Jones of his release from the band. The founder was supposed to fall softly, get a severance pay and an annual profit share as long as the group existed. Jones supposedly accepted the expulsion outwardly calmly.

Now ex-Rolling-Stone, he spoke shortly thereafter with John Lennon, head of the disbanding Beatles, about possible projects; he spent most of his time in his country house. Mick Jagger later said of him, "He wasn't fit for glory." Keith Richard remembered that when he heard the news of the death of Brian Jones he thought: "Finally".

The founder of the Rolling Stones was buried on July 10, 1969, in his native Cheltenham, a few steps from the church where he had sung in the choir as a boy. Several hundred mourners came, mostly women. And of course the Rolling Stones. Their management had made sure that the coffin was decorated with a large guitar made of flowers.

His girlfriend, the Swedish dancer Anna Wohlin, later adjured Frank Thorogood, who rebuilt the country house for Jones, he have killed him. The master builder is said to have stood this on his deathbed in 1993. The police, however, classified Jones' death as an "accident" and closed the file even after a review in 2009. Nevertheless, various conspiracy theories about an alleged murder are still circulating today. None of them is convincing.

The Stones remembered their founder two days after his death at the beginning of a free concert in London's Hyde Park. Mick Jagger, all in white, read from a poem by the romantic poet Percy Shelley:

"Peace, peace!
He is not dead, he does not sleep,
He has awakened from the dream of life"

[www.Spiegel.de] - [iorr.org] - Der Tote im Pool

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 15:40 by Irix.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 3, 2019 15:44

24FPS
grzegorz67
paulywaul
crawdaddy

It is very important to remind casual fans of the absolutely crucial vital role Brian played in forming them and driving their initial ascent to fame.

Oh, please, those 'rubes' still paying big bucks to hear and old band play their young music, slower? The last Stones concert I will probably attend was 2013 in Los Angeles. The crowd had no idea who Mick Taylor was when he played on Midnight Rambler. They could care less about Brian Jones. You think those that listen to Dark Side of the Moon know who the hell Syd Barrett was?

The deep fans know about Brian, Bill, Stu, Nicky, Billy, and Bobby. The deeper know about Jack Nitzsche, Alex, Giorgio. But the average concert goer just wants Tumblin'DevilFlash shoved down their throat. And that's fine. The golden era is long, long past. Long live the Rolling Stones, what's left of them, and whoever has that much extra cash to blow to go see them. The rest of us will silently wait for Knebworth, or Atlantic City '89, or whatever they've got in the vault.

It’s a generational thing. I’m sure the casual fans from the 60’s are more than aware of whoBrian Jones was.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 3, 2019 15:44

"No one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away."

And Brian started a lot of ripples. He won't be forgotten.

Date: July 3, 2019 16:34

Green Lady
"No one is finally dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away."

And Brian started a lot of ripples. He won't be forgotten.

thumbs up

Date: July 3, 2019 18:23

My small musical tribute to Brian Jones. smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 3, 2019 19:46

His Majesty

[www.youtube.com]

Beautiful and appropriate. thumbs up

Date: July 3, 2019 20:31

smileys with beer

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: July 3, 2019 21:12

Gone but not forgotten

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 3, 2019 22:28

His Majesty

[www.youtube.com]

Very nice.
Well done. thumbs up

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: July 3, 2019 22:47

Can't help but wonder what direction his life would have gone in, had he not went for a swim that fateful night. Would he have pulled himself together or was it just a matter of time before he burned himself out?

An awe inspiring talent and what a legacy he left in such a short time. RIP Brian, we love you.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 23:14

His Majesty

[www.youtube.com]

Top job! Gaun yersel’ big man winking smiley

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 4, 2019 00:37

crawdaddy
His Majesty

[www.youtube.com]

Very nice.
Well done. thumbs up

thumbs up

Date: July 4, 2019 01:24

Cheers. Not trying to play like Brian, just trying capture a feeling.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: July 4, 2019 01:35

redkev
Can't help but wonder what direction his life would have gone in, had he not went for a swim that fateful night. Would he have pulled himself together or was it just a matter of time before he burned himself out?

An awe inspiring talent and what a legacy he left in such a short time. RIP Brian, we love you.

Regardless of what happened that night 50 years ago it was most likely "just a matter of time" for Brian. He was already heavily into drugs and alcohol and was certainly depressed. It's possible he could have pulled himself together enough to continue with a career in music at a much lower level than he had with the Stones (like Mick Taylor) but to paraphrase what Keith said about Kurt Cobain, Brian just didn't have a strong enough constitution to handle fame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-06 06:09 by TornAndFried.

Date: July 4, 2019 01:48

I go with Alexis Korners views on Brian at that time. Alexis obviously had doubts about Brian's future, but said that Brian believed he could get himself and a new band together...

However, I doubt he knew how bleak things were and how they might have gotten worse...

Heart and liver damage.
Asthma a constant threat and worry.
Dependant on prescription drugs and alcohol.
The looming matter of a huge tax bill that forced his former band mates to leave England.

That's some heavy @#$%& shit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 01:53 by His Majesty.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 4, 2019 02:15

Big Al
24FPS
grzegorz67
paulywaul
crawdaddy

It’s a generational thing. I’m sure the casual fans from the 60’s are more than aware of whoBrian Jones was.

You lost out on a technical note with that Tumbslin'DevilFlash bit - it's TumblinG Dice, Jumpin' Jack.

Nobody calls Street Fighting Man Street Fightin' Man.

GET IT RIGHT!

LOL

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home