Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: was it brian who showed keith the open tunings?
Date: July 8, 2019 09:39

Big Al
TheflyingDutchman
I just wonder to what extent Keith was influenced by jimi hendrix's guitar playing from lets say 1964 and onwards.
As far as I know Keith never talked about it or acknowledged it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Who’d knowingly heard Hendrix in 1964, though?

And Keith changed the Mercy Mercy-intro for the Stones-version quite a bit..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 8, 2019 09:56

Big Al
TheflyingDutchman
I just wonder to what extent Keith was influenced by jimi hendrix's guitar playing from lets say 1964 and onwards.
As far as I know Keith never talked about it or acknowledged it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Who’d knowingly heard Hendrix in 1964, though?

Via wiki:

Booker T. & the M.G.'s guitarist Steve Cropper recalled meeting Hendrix at the Stax Records studio in Memphis in 1964, when Hendrix mentioned that he had played on Covay's "Mercy, Mercy":

"That about knocked me to my knees ... because that was one of my favorite records at the time. I hadn't worked with Don [Covay] yet, but I asked Jimi to show me that great lick he played. [Later] Jimi took my guitar and started playing that sucker upside down [Cropper played a right-handed guitar, while Hendrix played left-handed]. I laughed and told him, 'I can't learn that lick by looking at it that way'".[15]

Cropper's recollection is supported by a 1968 Rolling Stone interview with Hendrix: "He [Cropper] showed me how to play lots of things and I showed him how I played 'Have Mercy' or something like that".[16] Cropper later recorded an instrumental version of the song with Booker T. & the M.G.'s for their 1965 Soul Dressing album.

Date: July 8, 2019 12:57

Jagger said in the eigtees: Hendrix could blow every player off the stage. I just wonder if there's interviews with Keith about Hendrix, influences, or any quotes or stories. I'm not looking for a contest. However I do think that Hendrix was about the most influential electric guitarist in the 6-tees. What did Keith pick up?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 8, 2019 13:33

DandelionPowderman

Keith did?

Date: July 8, 2019 14:06

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Keith did?

Listen to Jimi's intro on the original and compare..

Date: July 8, 2019 14:19

DandelionPowderman

Yes, but he is not the only one playing. grinning smiley

Date: July 8, 2019 14:38

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Who else? [youtu.be]

Date: July 8, 2019 14:42

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Who else? [youtu.be]

On the stones version, Brian. grinning smiley

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 8, 2019 15:03

TheflyingDutchman
Jagger said in the eigtees: Hendrix could blow every player off the stage. I just wonder if there's interviews with Keith about Hendrix, influences, or any quotes or stories. I'm not looking for a contest. However I do think that Hendrix was about the most influential electric guitarist in the 6-tees. What did Keith pick up?

Keith’s appearance on MTV’s “Famous Last Words” in 1991 was filmed in his apartment in NYC. Behind him you can see a portrait of Hendrix hanging on the wall.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 8, 2019 15:18

MelBelli
TheflyingDutchman

Keith’s appearance on MTV’s “Famous Last Words” in 1991 was filmed in his apartment in NYC. Behind him you can see a portrait of Hendrix hanging on the wall.

That's not his apartment but the Stones office in Manhattan.

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 8, 2019 15:40

I'd happily contend that Keith would not have been influenced one iota by Jimi's playing.

Not because Jimi wasn't a genius at what he did ...but because the Style of playing that Jimi developed just isn't really Keith's thing or taste.

That said...Jimi strongly reinforced the idea of a guitar player as an exciting on stage performer... and I think a lot of guitar players put more effort in to their stage presence and persona on the back of Hendrix...Keith possibly included.

[Yes, Keith may have heard Jimi playing on various soul records from the mid 60s...but Jimi's playing on those was pretty much derivative standard fare, as dictated by his session player function ]

Date: July 8, 2019 16:09

Mathijs
MelBelli

That's not his apartment but the Stones office in Manhattan.

Mathijs

grinning smiley

Date: July 8, 2019 16:41

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Who else? [youtu.be]

On the stones version, Brian. grinning smiley

I hear Keith in the right channel, and Brian in the left channel. Brian enters with the riff, which he plays throughout on the choruses? Do you mean that Brian doubles that intro with Keith?

Date: July 8, 2019 16:45

I remember Keith wearing a T -Shirt with Hendrix's face on it, in the Hague '76.
That's the only connection I know.

Date: July 10, 2019 13:11

DandelionPowderman

I hear Keith in the right channel, and Brian in the left channel. Brian enters with the riff, which he plays throughout on the choruses? Do you mean that Brian doubles that intro with Keith?

There's definitely two guitars on the intro.

Date: July 10, 2019 13:28

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

There's definitely two guitars on the intro.

Not playing quite the same lick I was referring to?

Date: July 10, 2019 15:36

DandelionPowderman

Not playing quite the same lick I was referring to?

Indeed.

More defined I'd say. smoking smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 10, 2019 16:10

The Stones attended Jimi Hendrix in a club in Queens during their US Tour in 1966.
Money, Walkin' The Dog, Bright Lights, Big City, Satisfaction and Have Mercy are on my Hendrix bootlegs, mostly recordings made when Hendrix was living in New-York, playing as a sideman.

Date: July 10, 2019 16:28

Must be a treasure.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 10, 2019 17:21

TheflyingDutchman
Must be a treasure.

Yep, The Jimi Hendrix box contains 10 vinyls and Satisfaction is on the Jimi Hendrix before the deluge, featuring Curtis Knight: this one was talked at IORR.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 11, 2019 20:48

My two cents - I wonder if Hey Joe and some effect on Keith - Jimi is playing the slide intro on Hey Joe on the 2nd string 2nd fret to 4th fret (standard tuning) then sliding back on the g string to second with pull off - same idea with Honky Tonk in open G .

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 12, 2019 09:22

No it’s from Memo and Downtown Suzie.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home