Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Chuck Leavell APPRECIATION THREAD!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 30, 2019 19:27

What the PLUNK are you talking about Eduardo?!

Re: ¿Can we just BASH Chuck Leavell?
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 30, 2019 20:38

Ignorant people with NO MUSICAL KNOWLEDGE continue to bash Chuck but the fact remains that he is a NECESSARY part of this band as many before me have said! If you know anything about music, especially the Stones sound, you know how valuable Chuck really is..yes, BV, erase this thread!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 30, 2019 20:59

DandelionPowderman
It was Stu who recommended him for the 1982-tour..

Leeds Roundhay Park July 25, 1982. Stu's last ever gig with the Stones.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 30, 2019 21:29

Without the musical director there wouldn´t be any shows and there would not even be a band called The Rolling stones nowadays. He is the back-bone of the band. The band knows why they have chosen him. He is what the Stones need these days.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 30, 2019 21:52

I really don't care much for Chuck's playing with Clapton or the Stones but I enjoyed reading what he ate on off days between Japan shows in his tour diaries and he gives me good setlists whenever I see the Stones in Atlanta (as Mick introduced him one time "he is from MAYCONNNN") so there is that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-30 21:58 by tonyc.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 30, 2019 22:21

Big Bash with
CHUCK LEAVELL

Aug 1ST & Aug 5TH

MetLife Stadium
East Rutherford, NJ

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: June 30, 2019 22:30

"Chuck Levell is the man!"
Ian Stewart

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 30, 2019 22:42

Is this thread still up? Where is BV? It's a bit telling though that a cheap thread like this one becomes instantly popular. The charm of IORR...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 30, 2019 23:12

EdubertoPalitroke
I just cannot stand that idiotic person. He keeps on trying to ruin the Stones.

It's an opinion, an insult and false.
In the best case this thread is ,or will turn ,into a Chuck appreciation thread.
If not...embarrassing for iorr.

Date: June 30, 2019 23:12

shortfatfanny
EdubertoPalitroke
I just cannot stand that idiotic person. He keeps on trying to ruin the Stones.

It's an opinion, an insult and false.
In the best case this thread is ,or will turn ,into a Chuck appreciation thread.
If not...embarrassing for iorr.

it mostly has turned into that already

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 30, 2019 23:28

Stoneage
Is this thread still up? Where is BV? It's a bit telling though that a cheap thread like this one becomes instantly popular. The charm of IORR...

I completely agree with you about the amount of posts and views a thread like this gets.
It's curiosity I guess as to why this guy who started it, thinks that way.
I love IORR as it has a forum that has conduct rules that are not really very strict.
Just behave like a friendly human being is the best one.
Other music sites with a forum can be too lenient and have an 'anything go's' attitude with insults,bad language,and just being generally nasty to other posters.
I soon get away from those.
BV is the boss man of IORR and whatever his decision is about this thread I will probably agree with.
This is my last comment on this thread …………..that I really don't like at all.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2019 23:32

Chuck hugs trees …
And ya gotta wonder if Woody is his favourite Stone ????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 30, 2019 23:46

was never a big fan of chuck during the steel wheels tour, to much piano tinkling drowning out guitars, but over the years he has become important to the band, and the stones are playing to a level that is very high, and certainly they are better than they were for some of the 70,s, some of the 80,s. mostly all of the 90,s and better than they were for the last 20 years or so.

i trust mick, if he wants chuck then thats ok with me. stones have always used backing musicians in the studio and nearly always for concerts to, they havent hidden this.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 30, 2019 23:57

buttons67
over the years he has become important to the band

That's a giant understatement : he knows the band's repertoire better than the boys themselves. He knows all the songs, the key they're in, how they go, whether a special instrument is necessary to rehearse them... etc etc.

Chuck's as close to a "musical director" as someone can be. He doesn't call the shots but he greases the Stones machine efficiently.

Of course he's not as good as Stu or Nicky but does the average punter who goes to a 2019 show cares? Nah...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 1, 2019 00:18

dcba
buttons67
over the years he has become important to the band

That's a giant understatement : he knows the band's repertoire better than the boys themselves. He knows all the songs, the key they're in, how they go, whether a special instrument is necessary to rehearse them... etc etc.

Chuck's as close to a "musical director" as someone can be. He doesn't call the shots but he greases the Stones machine efficiently.

Of course he's not as good as Stu or Nicky but does the average punter who goes to a 2019 show cares? Nah...

I rather enjoyed Ian MacLaglan's brief stint in the band also. RIP. I was lucky & got to see Stu 3 times. I had forgotten that Chuck was his choice. In regards to the Stones, that carries a lot of weight with me.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 1, 2019 01:41

Rockman
Chuck hugs trees …
And ya gotta wonder if Woody is his favourite Stone ????

How much Wood could Ron Wood Chuck if ...

nevermind

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 1, 2019 01:53

EdubertoPalitroke
Actually I think Chuck Leavell had direct input in hiring Darryl, Lisa, Sasha, etc.

What's wrong with Lisa? She was great as loang as she was with the Stones, and she is still great, I hear.

My only issue with Chuck: too much ploinky-ploink in Brown Sugar.

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: July 1, 2019 01:56

I would guess (and I have no idea what the 100%truth is) but I would bet that
Chuck Leavell is to Mick Jagger, what Genco Abbandando (and afterwards Tom Hagen) was to Don Corleone, a trusted consigliere. A tour time consigliere.

Date: July 1, 2019 02:05

Well, he is the conductor of the band. In that way the band leader. Perhaps more so than Stu ever was. That is Undeniable. Still he isn't a Stone and has no intention of ever being one.
Although he has been with the band for 37 years. That is 7 more years than Bill Wyman.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: July 1, 2019 02:41

On the other hand... I lost counting how many times, the last couple of years, people on this forum were blaming Chuck for basically everything they didn't like about the Stones, the concerts, the setlists, the sound etc. etc...

And now suddenly he is here portrayed as almost a saint and rescuer of The Stones...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-01 02:44 by GJV.

Date: July 1, 2019 02:46

It's dualism, GJV. There is always two ways to tell a story..

Date: July 1, 2019 02:55

Well, I don't consider "Can we just bash Chuck Leavell" an argument to begin with...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 1, 2019 03:11

Xam
... I would bet that
Chuck Leavell is to Mick Jagger, what Genco Abbandando (and afterwards Tom Hagen) was to Don Corleone, a trusted consigliere. A tour time consigliere.

Touring incognito as Michele and the Wise Guys ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: July 1, 2019 03:20

Last night during She's a Rainbow, it dawned on me that The Stones are givin' Chuck the spotlight during that one and Honky Tonk Woman... and now Darryl gets a good showcase during Miss You, also.

They deserve it, they've served the band well all their years.

Plus, Chuck was very cool to a bud and myself in Pittsburgh in '03... comin' down a ramp at the Igloo I spotted Chuck behind a curtain doin' a meet and greet thing... my buddy shouted out to him, and he gave us a quick wave.

That's my Chuck moment!

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: July 1, 2019 05:11

doitywoik
Xam
... I would bet that

Touring incognito as Michele and the Wise Guys ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
They're Goodfellas smoking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 1, 2019 05:34

¿Que?

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: July 1, 2019 05:35

i don't see any reason to bash Chuck - he serves a purpose in the band and that's to keep the ball rolling these days - he does the stuff the band no longer have time or want to do anymore - he has no ego or "big personality" and gets along with everyone and seemingly doesn't rock the boat-

with that being said - i don't think he brings much musically to the table - and that's not an insult - his playing is just there - unless you are looking at him it would be hard to hear him and say "hey that's Chuck Levell!!!"

let's face it- he's not inspiring them onstage like Stu did - or in the studio like Nicky Hopkins did countless times - and as far as Mac - he was like having a Stu in the band that got just as nuts as Ron & Keef - and let's not forget how Billy Preston pushed them musically - i can't see Mick and Chuck sharing an "Outta Space" moment on stage-

I think Chuck is a good guy who is easy for them to get along with and does whatever he's told and his heart is in the right place - plus he has the job of keeping the motor running - and that can't be an easy or stress free job - cheers Chuck

Re: Stupid thread about bashing people
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 1, 2019 05:37

No. It is NOT ok to bash anyone on IORR.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1488
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home