Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Burl's Creek Canada show 29-June-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: June 30, 2019 17:42

Green Lady
noughties
The same posters are posting, if you look at the middle of this section (pages 4,5,6 and 7). It`s a comraderie. -And should the whiners really go away? How should they else express themselves?

There are a bunch of us lunatic live-junkies who enjoy trawling Twitter and Facebook for live feeds and pictures, but it's not a closed shop - come and join in. By all means complain if what they play doesn't please you. We'll usually be too busy scope-hunting to moan about other people's posts, but "Hey, let's all bash Chuck Leavell" was a comment that really didn't qualify as constructive criticism.

Right!
And: It´s a bit the same here as you are standing in GA, Golden Circle or in the Pit A or B. You talk to other fans and sometimes even your are in the same boat you hear many different opinions about the very same event, the band in general or even matters of the world. And you react to this. Have discussions. Open and honest.The same is here. But not in fluent spoken but in written in stone words. That make seem it sometimes more dramatic than it was really meant.
No worries. All diversity belongs here.

Re: Burl's Creek Canada show 29-June-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 30, 2019 17:44

ThePaleRider wrote:

"I see no problem with the band continuing on for at least a couple of more years..."

That's why I still have hopes for another European round...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 30, 2019 17:52

laertisflash
ThePaleRider wrote:

"I see no problem with the band continuing on for at least a couple of more years..."

That's why I still have hopes for another European round...

Lets hope they stay healthy. Want to see them 4 more times if possible
Jeroen

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 30, 2019 18:16

Hairball
grzegorz67
Hairball
Exciting...will be tuning in and out catching up when I can for updates...have a great time to all who are there! thumbs up

I presume you’re back in SoCal now? I got back to the U.K. on Monday. I notice your next trio of shows (Santa Clara, Pasadena & Glendale?) are all do-able by land - Glasgow-London type distances. I’ve just had a cursory look into them and though I could certainly do them at a viable cost, getting work leave could be difficult and my pale white Scottish skin would burn in the Sun sad smiley

I do hope they swing by the UK/Europe at least one more time...

Back on topic, I hope the folks in Canada get a decemt Show. The only whole floor standing show of the tour as far as I know. Gold Circle looked a relatively good deal for this one.

Still in Chicago with my wife for another week grzegorz67 enjoying all the city has to offer at a very mellow pace - so many things to see and do!
Went out on the lake today on a speedboat zipping all around, and heading off soon for another deep dish pizza feast haha.

Come on out to California and I'll help you out anyway I can. Driving solo up to Santa Clara and back from Ventura - home for a day or two, then doing another roadtrip to Pasadena for a couple nights, then straight out to Glendale for three nights...finally driving a looong way back home on the 27th where I zip up to Santa Barbara to see ZZ Top with my wife (and I have an extra ticket).

Come on out west my friend! thumbs up

-------------------------------------------------

Back on topic:

CANADA IS GOING TO ROCK TONIGHT!!!! smileys with beer

I spent 2 nights in Chicago with Show 1 in between. Clearly not enough time to see such a great city properly.

Thanks for your kind and appreciated words. I’ve checked and a 2nd US trip would eat most of the rest of my work leave allowance, which has to last me until the end of March. I am still encumbered by that 4 letters word called (Full time) work but hopefully for only another 4 years max. A couple of people from my work have done the West Coast and speak very highly of it so it will get a visit eventually. I googled Ventura. If that’s where you live then wow, lucky you!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: June 30, 2019 18:17

The band Whiskey Myers just played in the theater above my record shop this past Friday, fresh off their opening slot for the 2nd Chicago show. One of the band members told me that there was no talk of the Stones taking the show off the road and that plans were already being made for a tour next year.

The Rolling Stones - Burl's Creek Canada 29-June-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 30, 2019 18:57

PERPETUAL MOTION: Rolling Stones rock cottage country

Jane Stevenson
Published: June 30, 2019

The Rolling Stones
Burl’s Creek
Saturday night
RATING: (*** out of four)
__

ORO-MEDONTE – There are far worse ways to spend the Canada Day long weekend.

Try with the Rolling Stones in a massive field with 70,000 other people.

The veteran British band pulled into Burl’s Creek, about 90 minutes north of Toronto, on Saturday night for the third date of the North American leg of their No Filter tour, bringing with them a hi-tech rock n’roll show bolstered by their ‘60s, ‘70s and even a few ‘80s classic songs.

There were four 100 metre high LED screens and a million-watt sound system plus a long catwalk onto which frontman Mick Jagger strutted his stuff early and often.
“Hello Canada! Happy Canada Day everybody!” said the iconic singer. “We hope you’re enjoying yourselves, we certainly are! I’d like to thank you for all coming out to the country!”

The two-hour show was the only Canadian stop of the Stones’ latest jaunt across the pond that had to be delayed for a few months while Jagger underwent heart surgery.

But you’d never know he was in recovery mode.

The 75-year-old singer didn’t miss a beat on Saturday night, all jittery legs and moving arms and hands, showed off in various sequined coats and shirts for the duration of the show that kicked off with Street Fighting Man and ended with Satisfaction and some good old Canada Day fireworks.

“Well then what can a poor boy do, ‘cept to sing in a rock n’ roll band,” sang Jagger, born the son of a physical education teacher father (who he called his greatest influence) and hairdresser mother.

The 20-song set list was pretty much the same as the Chicago launch of the tour on June 21 with the exception of the fan choice song of She’s A Rainbow (and a rough version at that with Jagger beginning, “How does that one go?”) and 75-year-old guitarist Keith Richards’ first solo song choice of Slipping Away.
“Happy day!” said Richards, who also sang lead vocals on Before They Make Me Run. “I’m not sure we have an England day …”

Backed by rock n’ roll’s most elegant drummer Charlie Watts, 78, and swaggering guitarist Ronnie Wood, 72, some classics were smoother than others.
It turned out the grittier the better: Street Fighting Man, Tumbling Dice, You Can’t Always Get What You Want, Sympathy For The Devil, Miss You, Midnight Rambler and Gimme Shelter.

“You sang beautifully on that one,” said Jagger after You Can’t Always Get What You Want. “You sang fantastic.”

Jagger himself was pretty impressive on harmonica on Midnight Rambler.

And a two-song acoustic set by just Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wood, who all gathered at the front of the catwalk for Angie and Dead Flowers, was a real crowd-pleaser.

Counter to that, there will no doubt be loud grumblings by concert-goers about the long lineups for food and drink and the long waits getting in and out of the concert site.

The expanded band, which grew to eleven people in total, included longtime bassist Darryl Jones, keyboardist Chuck Leavell, and vocalists Sasha Allen and Bernard Fowler.

Allen was a true star during the first encore song, Gimme Shelter, as she made the catwalk her own while belting out her vocals before she was joined by Jagger.

The frontman also managed to name check both provincial and municipal politicians of note during the show.

“For the next 15 minutes, it’s a buck a beer thanks to your premier Doug Ford!” Jagger said.

And of Toronto Mayor John Tory, the singer joked: “He’s still wearing his dirty blazer! What about those Raptors?!”
What about those Stones?

[torontosun.com]

Date: June 30, 2019 19:04

Rolling Stones Burl's Creek, Oro-Medonte ON, June 29

Photo: Lindsay Duncan

By Vish Khanna
Published Jun 30, 2019

"It's buck-a-beer time," Mick Jagger said at one point. "Thanks to Doug Ford." And the boos rained down at this local reference. Jagger, perhaps unaware of whom or even what he was invoking, half-shrugged at the response, added nothing further by way of local political commentary, and carried on.

The Rolling Stones had just this one Canadian date on their No Filter tour and it was a massive affair, out in a country field in Ontario, with enough space for 70,000. It wasn't for the long-timers, but for the band's broad, general audience. And so rather than deep cuts, they broke out hits and singles that were familiar and attacked them with friendly fire.

They bounded out with 1968's "Street Fighting Man," sounding mighty, Keith Richards digging into one of his most famous riffs and Charlie Watts pushing the rhythm along like no other drummer ever could. Jagger's voice is remarkably strong, and on this or "Let's Spend the Night Together" or "Sad Sad Sad," he hit his parts with everything they needed. When the band launched into "Tumbling Dice," he seemed to transport his physical self back to 1972, singing the swaggering, swinging song like he was pushing 30, not 80.

The band's long-ridiculed age and death defiance has a lot to do with their wealth and the requisite comfort it offers them to rest and heal. From afar, it's easy enough to question the band's motivations for steaming ahead; do they really need more of our money? Is this normal physical behaviour for men of their age?

At the show though, all of that background noise is silenced. Watching Ron Wood solo with a wide grin on his face, or any of the band members, laughing and just embracing and touching each other reassuringly with genuine affection brings their relationships into view, and perhaps due to recent health scares, it seems more personal than business these days.

At one point, the remaining original Stones and Wood headed up a catwalk to a small stage to play acoustic versions of "Angie" and "Dead Flowers," two of their most enduring folk and country explorations, and the results were endearingly fine. Later on, after Jagger politely introduced each band member and every auxiliary musician on stage, Richards accepted the customary spotlight for his songs, in this case, a teetering "Slipping Away" and a crowd-pleasing "Before They Make Me Run."

As a whole, the set is mostly evenly paced, and may not go down as the best they've ever played; they're good and landing tricky things ("Midnight Rambler" requires all of their reflexes to work and it does) but something's also a little off, or maybe some rust is binding things that should be loose. But the performance also feels true to their ragged authenticity, as an almost 60-year-old, live guitar-rock band in 2019.

Jagger has always been the one most conscious of being part of contemporary music trends and keeping the Stones topical. The impulse has led to some formidable, adaptive highs and desperate, youth-chasing lows (and whatever the relatively benign Ford bit was) over the past few decades, not to mention some bemused belligerence from Richards, his comparably genre-puritanical creative soulmate.

But a two-hour 'best-of' show like this really exhibits the band's true core, as architects of a gritty musical form that takes from and gives to the culture in equal measure. The heartening experience of seeing them play and play and play (perhaps in Canada for the last time) may not be revelatory, but it remains rewarding.

[exclaim.ca]

Date: June 30, 2019 19:15

Canada Rocks with the Rolling Stones: Here’s what happened at the show

By Adam Wallis
June 30, 2019

George Pimentel/Getty Images

[globalnews.ca]

Date: June 30, 2019 19:21

Some Fans Outraged As The Rolling Stones' Only Canadian Concert Ended In A Traffic Nightmare

[www.narcity.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 30, 2019 20:31

The entire continent is in a traffic jam. What adds to this traffic crawl is the fact that most folks now purchase products online, which leads to even more congestion via Transfer Truck Deliveries. It is 24-7 traffic now in America.

The travel infrastructure must be upgraded immediately or we need to find new forms of transportation.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 30, 2019 21:30

^ Stop the presses! The Stones hold a show in the middle of nowhere and many are stuck in a traffic snafu. Never saw that coming. There were alternatives. The smart people, like BV, planned ahead and used a coach service.

The entire continent world is in a traffic jam.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 30, 2019 23:16

"Lets hope they stay healthy. Want to see them 4 more times if possible"

Let' hope, Runrudolph... I think the MORE we can expect would be three additional "rounds". Europe, South America and maybe Japan/Australia/NZ. Or two,who knows...
First time I seriously thought "this could be the last Stones tour" was in "Licks" years (2002 - 2003). But we... have been lucky!

Re: The Rolling Stones - Burl's Creek Canada 29-June-2019
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 30, 2019 23:32

Green Lady

Ok, I have to ask cuz I don't know.. Where are people getting these set lists? I first started seeing people with them on Zip Code, at the bar after etc, but never asked before.. Do crew members hand them out?

Date: July 1, 2019 00:01

No link, so can't even guess about that specific setlist, but this one came from "the sound guy":

[twitter.com]

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 1, 2019 00:23

Thx byebyejohnny.. so right place right time, or know someone on the crew I take it

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 1, 2019 00:59

mjmjr
first 3 songs tonight are

SFM
LSTNT
TD

Yeah.. Stones are getting a little loose with the number of setlist's floating around and who sees em..

Knew when I saw this it was likely from someone getting a glimpse of one pre-show.
One of my biggest pet peeves at smaller shows when someone reads it off the stage etc., and then blabs it.
Very poor form.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 1, 2019 01:19

MisterDDDD

Yeah.. Stones are getting a little loose with the number of setlist's floating around and who sees em..

Very poor form.

I see people in the pit wandering around with them, as recently as Chicago #1. Extremely poor form.

Posted by: Xam ()
Date: July 1, 2019 01:45

"In fact, it is impossible not liking the Stones when they play live, if you love their music!"

And that is a pure simple fact smileys with beer

STONES!!!

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: July 1, 2019 02:02

I find it interesting that if it rained they would not just play the acoustic songs on the main stage under cover. It appears that they would change those spots out. Seems odd. It’s not as cool as on the B Stage but they still work.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 1, 2019 02:41

bam
Keith does look much better with the sunglasses on.

Still the same Nike glasses he first wore in Europe in 2014, wonder if it's the same pair !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Torontoluke ()
Date: July 1, 2019 04:28

first time posting here - wasn't sure if i would make the show but got 2LD so made the trip. i live in toronto area so wasn't too far for me. stayed at a hotel in barrie - got a uber there, and took the bus back - no issues at all.

ive seen the stones multiple times - by far the worse crowd I've experienced - lots of drunks - couple of guys fell over into security - people jumping over barricades, etc. almost had a fight break out where i was standing. could have gotten a lot worse.

band was great - thought they were having fun - keith seemed to be into the show more than from what i saw based on the chicago videos. really enjoyed she's a rainbow. going to see them in philadelphia in a month or so - hopefully a better crowd experience. glad i went - wouldn't go to that venue again for any band.

Posted by: rlstone ()
Date: July 1, 2019 05:25

Good show and venue better than expected, except for a lot of drunk people and the mess getting back after showtime. Was in pit and there was plenty of room to move around until show start (last toilet break at 8.30 and had no trouble getting back to my spot. Security was tight.

Highlights for me sad, sad, sad and midnight rambler. Band was into it. Fight almost broke out in the pit when Mick trew this shirt in the crowd.

Any questions, let me know.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 1, 2019 05:30

Editorial IORR photos and reports here:

Burl's Creek - Oro Medonte, Ontario, Canada - Saturday June 29, 2019

Feel free to send reports and 3-4 of your best shots by e-mail to: iorr@arena.no

Some samle photos from the show:

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-01 05:33 by bv.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 1, 2019 05:33

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-01 05:43 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 1, 2019 06:15

snoopy2
Green Lady

Ok, I have to ask cuz I don't know.. Where are people getting these set lists? I first started seeing people with them on Zip Code, at the bar after etc, but never asked before.. Do crew members hand them out?

They start appearing on Twitter shortly after (or sometimes during) the show: the band usually post an official one but other people seem to get copies from crew members. The one I posted came from an account in Japanese so no idea about its source.
At Chicago 1, somebody seems to have given away a copy of the "rain" setlist very early on once they knew it wouldn't be needed, which caused a bit of confusion because people who weren't listening to the show posted it as the actual setlist. That hasn't happened again so far.

Posted by: jasona93 ()
Date: July 1, 2019 06:28

Gotta go check the tape for altered lyrics...

Lets Spend the Night Together
Stuck in this Parking Lot Forever

The show was wonderful. I haven't had the opportunity to see Like a Rainbow or Sad Sad Sad in the flesh, so those were a treat. Grabbed a GA spot near the B stage just before the Beaches set, the B stage is a great re-addition to the show, I only wish it was one song longer (at the expense of 5 minutes chopped from the song that must not be named)!

The venue was nice and orderly on the way in, surprisingly so given the number of people and it being a long holiday weekend in Canada. The way out though, forget it. Total chaos and the lack of parking lot attendants and police was staggering. I've got no health problems, knock on wood, but if anyone had a health problem in that mess they are now likely dead. Go on Twitter and search for #BurlsCreek for a good read.

Looking forward to seeing them in DC in a more orderly environment!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 1, 2019 07:18

snoopy2
Green Lady

Hi Snoopy: The light and sound folks hand em out just as people are walking out of the venue. Stay up against the rail near the entrance to the tent/sheds. You may get lucky but was told women and children first. I got the last one in A-dam.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 1, 2019 11:47

Two quite different solos from Keith during Sad, Sad Sad,,so far. He came racing out the blocks with a blistering flurry in Chicago, but here his playing is subdued and slow. I wonder if he just wasn’t ‘feeling it’?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 1, 2019 15:29

jasona93
Gotta go check the tape for altered lyrics...

Lets Spend the Night Together
Stuck in this Parking Lot Forever

The show was wonderful. I haven't had the opportunity to see Like a Rainbow or Sad Sad Sad in the flesh, so those were a treat. Grabbed a GA spot near the B stage just before the Beaches set, the B stage is a great re-addition to the show, I only wish it was one song longer (at the expense of 5 minutes chopped from the song that must not be named)!

The venue was nice and orderly on the way in, surprisingly so given the number of people and it being a long holiday weekend in Canada. The way out though, forget it. Total chaos and the lack of parking lot attendants and police was staggering. I've got no health problems, knock on wood, but if anyone had a health problem in that mess they are now likely dead. Go on Twitter and search for #BurlsCreek for a good read.

Looking forward to seeing them in DC in a more orderly environment!

The reason I sat this one out, even though it is the closest tour date to where I live and I actually work/stay in Toronto often: the traffic was going to be a nightmare. Coach in and out only means you are sitting on a bus for hours instead of sitting in a car - still not how I want to spend a beautiful Summer day on a Canadian holiday weekend for a set of songs I have seen played (some too many times). My idea for future shows where traffic will be a known issue: If they feel that they have to play Miss You, Sympathy and Satisfaction, and they put them all as the encore, so the fans that are tired of them can leave before they start and get a 20 minute head start (joking).

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: July 1, 2019 16:03

Green Lady
snoopy2
Green Lady

They start appearing on Twitter shortly after (or sometimes during) the show: the band usually post an official one but other people seem to get copies from crew members. The one I posted came from an account in Japanese so no idea about its source.
At Chicago 1, somebody seems to have given away a copy of the "rain" setlist very early on once they knew it wouldn't be needed, which caused a bit of confusion because people who weren't listening to the show posted it as the actual setlist. That hasn't happened again so far.

Hi Green Lady,

I attended the show and went to great lengths to try and get a copy but was unsuccessful. Would you be so kind to send me the source or scan a copy to my email. It's not hidden in my profile. Thank You kindly

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1965
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home