Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Midnight Rambler - mess up in general
Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 29, 2019 17:52

I remember the 2003 show in Landower, MD when Keith started Tumbling Dice instead of Don't Stop. The problem was that Mick had his telecaster on and of course he doesn't need it on TD. So in 2 seconds or the time it took Keith to play the intro of Tumbling, Mick took off his guitar, throw it rugbyman style to a tech and grab the micc stand just on time to start singing, not missing a beat; unbelievable @#$%& Mick Jagger: only him could pull that one off!. I was 2 row that night and that incident made that very good show super special. Fuckups are great sometimes!
Rockandroll,
Mops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-29 19:03 by rollmops.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 29, 2019 18:43

Bob Dylan performed some well-know version of The Wicked Drifter in the 2000s, i.e. he sang Wicked Messenger and the band played Drifter's Escape - or the other way round. Usually he won – his band adjusted the music to what he was singing (though they never stopped playing).
On another occasion (Amsterdam 2009) Bob had to sing a verse of 'Tough Mama' a cappella because his band thought the song was already finished (they were rewarded with some really engry looks)

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 29, 2019 19:08

Not a mess-up, but quite memorable...

video: [www.youtube.com]

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: June 30, 2019 00:37

lem motlow
On the Licks tour in San Diego Keith ( I’m remembering this without looking it up so forgive me if it’s not totally accurate)went into Before They Make Me run when he was supposed to be playing Happy or visa versa.
The band didn’t play at all,just blank stares as he wailed away for a second and then stopped.
I was right up front and everyone was laughing and having a good time with it.Keith said “sorry wrong guitar”with a big smile,and proceeded to knock it out of the park the rest of the show.

I watched the video and it was very similar,he laughed and smiled but brought the hammer afterward.that Paint it Black was STRONG.

Keith’s fine guys,my story was from 17 years ago.these things happen because he’s more feeling it out there than thinking about it ,thank god.
That was a GREAT gig at the San Diego Sports Arena!! A rollicking version of Neighbors!!

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: June 30, 2019 00:39

slewan
Wasn't there even a Rolling Stones bootleg CD called 'nervous breakdowns' featuring the worst Stones breakdowns?
Yea--and a vinyl LP called "Mistaken Stones" which features various tracks with flubs---some glaring and some barely noticeable.

Date: June 30, 2019 02:13

Just listened to that Midnight Rambler intro and it sounded pretty gnarly lmao! I kinda liked how Jagger still sang along with it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 30, 2019 02:33

iraq0708
lem motlow
On the Licks tour in San Diego Keith ( I’m remembering this without looking it up so forgive me if it’s not totally accurate)went into Before They Make Me run when he was supposed to be playing Happy or visa versa.
The band didn’t play at all,just blank stares as he wailed away for a second and then stopped.
I was right up front and everyone was laughing and having a good time with it.Keith said “sorry wrong guitar”with a big smile,and proceeded to knock it out of the park the rest of the show.

I watched the video and it was very similar,he laughed and smiled but brought the hammer afterward.that Paint it Black was STRONG.

Keith’s fine guys,my story was from 17 years ago.these things happen because he’s more feeling it out there than thinking about it ,thank god.
That was a GREAT gig at the San Diego Sports Arena!! A rollicking version of Neighbors!!

I was at that show as well...amongst the best of the Licks shows I attended. thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2019 06:49

In Perth in 2014 Keith started "Happy" in wrong key and tempo. Abandoned it. Walked back to Chuck asking what key am I supposed to be in

Hey Yeah Rodo … I was at that show front row Keith pit
side with Roger the Dodger ….. We thought it was hilarious ….. who really perfect anyway ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 30, 2019 19:53

Screw ups are great! I truly love the screw ups. Great studio recordings are one thing, a brilliant screw up live (and recorded!) is magical.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 30, 2019 20:03

Keith’s guitar would usually be capo’d at the seventh fret for MR. No capo for PIB. So was he given the wrong guitar? Surely he wouldn’t start MR on an uncapo’d guitar??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-30 20:03 by vertigojoe.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: June 30, 2019 20:14

What show was it when Keith decided to play IORR instead of Satisfaction and Mick sang Satisfaction?

It was an arena show on ABB, I think.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: June 30, 2019 20:19

vertigojoe
Keith’s guitar would usually be capo’d at the seventh fret for MR. No capo for PIB. So was he given the wrong guitar? Surely he wouldn’t start MR on an uncapo’d guitar??
PIB. these days, is played with a Capo on the second fret.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 30, 2019 20:23

Oh right I’d missed that.. still 5 frets off!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: June 30, 2019 22:07

You messed up by starting this nit-picky thread.
No band is perfect. Every person I've seen multiple times made an error here and there, Have you ever messed up?

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 1, 2019 00:01

we all mess up at times.

i was on a plane out of stansted in london once and the pilot messed up the take off.

the plane got a stall warning seconds after take off, the plane buffeted from side to side as it does when about to enter a stall, pilot pitched nose of plane down to almost level, then increased engine power and we slowly climbed out as we accelerated, but it was obvious we were about to stall, he rectified the situation on time, although it was a very scary few seconds.

i think a band messing up on stage is a lot less important.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 1, 2019 00:37

I remember a great screw up on the Licks tour in Brisbane - they were meant to play You Got me Rocking and Ronnie had the Zematis guitar that he uses for slide...but then Keith started playing if you can't rock me. It was cool - Ronnie just played a slide solo and it worked out well!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 1, 2019 01:09

The day musicians are replaced by the Rockbots no more mess-ups; I hope I am dead before that shit happens.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 1, 2019 01:36

Zappa Helsinki 1974: Montana

They started too fast and after the intro Frank stopped it,made a joke and started anew in a lower tempo. He found it funny enough to put it out on CD (YCDTOSA 2, CD2 track 8).

On Youtube:
[www.youtube.com]

Another great one:
Deep Purple, Smoke On the Water, Japan 1972
In two out of three shows, Blackmore botched the Riff.
On CD on Live in Japan.

There'll hardly be a musician who never made a mistake in a concert. It's human, no? Artist find this natural enough to even release on CD versions of songs where something went wrong.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 1, 2019 10:56

Keith's mellowed a lot with age ...

...In the old days he'd have carried on and expected every bugger else to get into line with him.grinning smiley

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 1, 2019 12:41

bitusa2012
In Perth in 2014 Keith started "Happy" in wrong key and tempo. Abandoned it. Walked back to Chuck asking what key am I supposed to be in? Finally figured it out after about 45 seconds then ripped into it. THIS band don't mime/lip sync! I'd rather see and hear the screw ups than hear recorded perfection from stage.

I guess, that was the show, where he did birthday greetings to pattie. Was'nt it in 2015?

Date: July 1, 2019 13:18

deardoctor
bitusa2012
In Perth in 2014 Keith started "Happy" in wrong key and tempo. Abandoned it. Walked back to Chuck asking what key am I supposed to be in? Finally figured it out after about 45 seconds then ripped into it. THIS band don't mime/lip sync! I'd rather see and hear the screw ups than hear recorded perfection from stage.

I guess, that was the show, where he did birthday greetings to pattie. Was'nt it in 2015?

Wasn't that in South America? A good intro screw up anyhow grinning smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 1, 2019 13:34

As far back as during Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) at Hamburg, October 2, 1973, evening show, Mick tries to sing a verse while the others are singing the 'doo doo doo doo doo' Chorus. After a line or so he joins in.It adds to the live experience on that Special night, and we have enough intact live Versions from that tour, so I find it charming.

You can hear the song on the bootleg Album The Stars In The Sky Never Lie.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 1, 2019 13:42

DandelionPowderman
deardoctor
bitusa2012

Wasn't that in South America? A good intro screw up anyhow grinning smiley

Yes, Mexico indeed.
I found it!
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 2, 2019 05:11

That Happy intro is hilarious... "I forgot it!" but the Midnight Rambler in the wrong key instead of Paint It Black is brilliant!

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1728
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home