Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

stones and marshall-amps?
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 27, 2019 16:34

nit shure, but i think i once read that they used marshalls on the steel wheels tour. but i've never seen a picture. any known reasons why they never played marshalls? where they ever asked about that topic?

Re: stones and marshall-amps?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 27, 2019 16:53

Keith was never a big fan .

He's been known to comment that he does like that classic Marshall lead sound where its appropriate ... but he thinks Marshalls are a bit of a one trick pony and not good for much else.

[We can only postulate about whether his opinions may have differed if it had been Jim Marshall rather than Vox and Ampeg throwing kit at them ion the late '60s /early '70s.winking smiley].

There's little doubt that in later years the various Fender tweed era amps are best suited to the sound Keith most often needs ...but I think you sometimes just get to like what you've become used to and know how to get the best from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-27 17:01 by Spud.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 27, 2019 17:24

They have always been after the typical American guitar sound, hence they ditched the Vox AC-30 as soon as they could, and basically played American amps ever since. Keith added a Marshall 50 watt lead for his lead sound on the 1989 tour, replaced by a Soldano SLO 100 as advised by Clapton, but went back to Tweed amps ever since.

Mathijs

Date: June 27, 2019 17:34

The way his backline was configured on that tour is fascinating...with Keith almost having his own on stage PA system of Solid sate power amps and high efficiency speaker cabs to get a loud but clean sound.

In those days he still wanted to be seriously loud on stage.

Bit of a Luddite in some respects our Keith . Took him a while to learn that public address systems had come on a bit since the '60s grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-27 17:40 by Spud.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: June 27, 2019 17:43

Mathijs
They have always been after the typical American guitar sound, hence they ditched the Vox AC-30 as soon as they could, and basically played American amps ever since. Keith added a Marshall 50 watt lead for his lead sound on the 1989 tour, replaced by a Soldano SLO 100 as advised by Clapton, but went back to Tweed amps ever since.

Mathijs

I’ll go to my grave believing ‘88-93 was Keith’s best overall sound. The Silhouettes had something to do with that, but the Marshall head didn’t hurt, either.

Keith’s love affair with the Tweeds mystifies me. They’re great amps; they work beautifully for certain sounds. But they can’t do it all. When Keith plays lead with the LP Jr or a 335, it’s like he’s *fighting* the guitar. The signal is dry, the tone brittle.

The tones he was getting on the Steel Wheels tour were more “liquid,” allowing him to play with more fluidity. Age surely is a factor today — which is all the more reason he should avoid playing through a setup that’s suited for 1959 more than 2019.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-27 17:44 by MelBelli.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 27, 2019 18:37

Mathijs
They have always been after the typical American guitar sound, hence they ditched the Vox AC-30 as soon as they could, and basically played American amps ever since.

Mathijs

They used Vox from 1962 right through to atleast 1969.

Obviously they went Fender too, but...

Date: June 27, 2019 18:43

I have to disagree with Mel

...the "Tweed" sound may not be right for everything ...but for Keith's core sound, that clarity & note separation, with just a bit of breakup & attitude is perfect.

The years may have stolen some fluidity from his chops...but his tone & touch remain sublime to my ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-27 19:14 by Spud.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: June 27, 2019 19:05

Mathjis- do you have a link to any songs he played with the slo-100 live? That could be very interesting!

Go Dawgs!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 27, 2019 19:38

Mathijs
They have always been after the typical American guitar sound

Mathijs

Didn't Keef fry a 1967 Marshall during the SW sessions (while he was recording the solo for "Sad sad sad" iirc).

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 27, 2019 20:09

The Ampeg stacks from the Ya Yas period were heavenly.

Date: June 27, 2019 20:13

beachbreak

grinning smiley

Date: June 27, 2019 20:15

Mick and a marshall. Photo by Bill Wyman Late 1968/early 1969.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-27 20:33 by His Majesty.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 27, 2019 23:13

What about those boogies from late 70s???

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 28, 2019 02:03

His Majesty
beachbreak

grinning smiley

Stu. My favorite live Stones sound. Thanks, Stu!

Date: July 25, 2019 11:07

His Majesty
Mathijs
They have always been after the typical American guitar sound, hence they ditched the Vox AC-30 as soon as they could, and basically played American amps ever since.

Mathijs

They used Vox from 1962 right through to atleast 1969.

Obviously they went Fender too, but...

Actually until at least late 90's. Wood always had a VOX AC-30 with him on stage and in the studio until he started using the Vibroking's, and Keith used one during recordings for Talk is Cheap. There's also one on pictures of the basement of Nellcote, aside several Ampeg and Fender amps.

Mathijs

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 25, 2019 13:08

Mathijs

Mathijs
Wasn't it some type of Plexi Marshall ?

Date: July 25, 2019 13:30

I liked the Boogie amps used during the 78 and 81 tours and ditto the Ampeg amps used from 69-76 ? Mathijs since Keith has used the Vintage Fender Tweed Twins he has 2 on stage and I imagine that he only uses one and the other is a spare ? So if it is just the one tweed twin that sure produces enough juice to get Keith's tone that he likes and then they are miked thru the PA . I did not get a chance to notice if Keith still uses that little OAHU amp as well and my question to you Mathijs would be what does that offer or contribute to Keith's tone ? I remember as a kid when I had been playing several years in 77- 78 that a friend from around the corner who played and had done a major sacriledge when he took a vintage pre CBS Fender Stratocaster and had chopped up the contoured body to replicate a Flying V had purchased the newly release Boogie Mark 1 and was proudly showing it off to me and the thing that made my eyes and ears pop was the tone and namely the SUSTAIN he was getting from the Boogie with a single coil Stratocaster was just jaw dropping to me being the kid that I was the only way for me to get close to that type of tone and sustain was using my Gibson Les Paul Custom (my first ever electric as a kid which I still have and use to this very day along with all of my other instruments which are ever multiplying like rabbits to this very day and the next etc ) thru a Silverface Fender Twin Reverb (the king of clean yuck ) using a Electro Harmonix Big Muff which was noisey and screeched like crazy , and this guy around the corner was playing a single coil Stratocaster into the then new Boogie Mark 1 and getting the most richest tone and creamiest sustain which was just jaw dropping to me and I was so jealous and in awe !

Date: July 25, 2019 13:36

Mathijs

Actually until at least late 90's...

This is outside my area of interest. grinning smiley

Date: July 25, 2019 13:37

TheGreek
..., and this guy around the corner was playing a single coil Stratocaster into the then new Boogie Mark 1 and getting the most richest tone and creamiest sustain which was just jaw dropping to me and I was so jealous and in awe !

Pity that after the Boogie not all cascaded gain stages were subsequently created equal.

Date: July 25, 2019 14:24

His Majesty
Mathijs

Actually until at least late 90's...

This is outside my area of interest. grinning smiley

Yeah I have the same with pre-1969! That's why I forgot about the Vox's in the studio and on stage in 1966 - 1969.

Mathijs

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 25, 2019 16:38

Date: July 25, 2019 17:04

Spud
TheGreek
..., and this guy around the corner was playing a single coil Stratocaster into the then new Boogie Mark 1 and getting the most richest tone and creamiest sustain which was just jaw dropping to me and I was so jealous and in awe !

Pity that after the Boogie not all cascaded gain stages were subsequently created equal.
100% true and I agree .

Date: July 25, 2019 20:29

Mathijs

Yeah I have the same with pre-1969! That's why I forgot about the Vox's in the studio and on stage in 1966 - 1969.

Mathijs

Yes, you are not much of a fan of the real thing. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home